Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

40-somethings using the South Park words is extremely sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Waiting to see the reasoned argument that "aids" isn't homophobic anymore. Otherwise banish it to the pink forums where that sort of stuff is tolerated like it's still the mid-2000s.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 9, 2023

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Remember the south park where Cartman drank all the vagisil to get dumber so he could be a nascar racer lol

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
We don't need to have that argument, we can just stop using it. If something sucks, its covid.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Charles Bukowski posted:

We don't need to have that argument, we can just stop using it. If something sucks, its covid.

What if someone said COVID was AIDS :haw:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Nooner posted:

What if someone said COVID was AIDS :haw:

lmao there's a very contentious thread that does, in fact, claim COVID is equivalent to airborne AIDS

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

even ignoring the homophobic aspect, calling things aids is 10 years stale and was way way overused, it’s the equivalent of calling a dog a 14 out of 10 good pupper or using the troll face. there may be rare cases where ironic use is appropriate and funny in context, but whinging about billionaire bones is not it

i can’t imagine what it must be like for Dr. Cool AIDS to see that name every time he posts, guy must be a cringe elemental at this point. maybe a mod could offer up a name change?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I'd never considered that until this very moment, and wow. Covid fuckin' sucks.

e: Rich Evans doesn't still yell "aids" does he? That wasn't great then.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dr. Cool Covfefe

Timeless and relevant for years

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Being a good ally by insisting that gay people treat aids the same way that Reaganites did in the 80s ftmfw

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fajita Queen posted:

Being a good ally by insisting that gay people treat aids the same way that Reaganites did in the 80s ftmfw
Why the gently caress are y'all dying on the hill of "no, wait, saying aids and gay is cool"?

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Why the gently caress are y'all dying on the hill of "no, wait, saying aids and gay is cool"?

Saying something is aids in the same way as saying something is cancer is not disparaging gay people, it's saying aids sucks rear end because it's a horrible disease that kills you, much like the posts that people are calling aids. In like a decade people will be doing the same thing with covid. Hope this helps.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
The a slur lmfao

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Fajita Queen posted:

ok but it’s also not funny and makes you sound like a south park kid who never grew up

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Also the people having mini meltdowns about it are some of the biggest dipshits on this website and making them get mad over nothing is extremely funny, so I applaud the brave forums soldiers who have given their lives for the cause.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Remember the south park where Cartman shoved hamburger in his pants because rear end-BURGERS lol

itry
Aug 23, 2019

No, because I never watched south park.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nooner posted:

Remember the south park where Cartman shoved hamburger in his pants because rear end-BURGERS lol

As a wise and dignified 60 year old, I think this is still the peak of humor

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

As a wise and dignified 60 year old, I think this is still the peak of humor

not only is it the pinnacle of humor, it's your duty as a brave forums soldier to never, ever even consider changing, for any reason.

otherwise, the evil Dipshits win, and letting someone else win on the forums is a fate far worse than death

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i don’t think aids need be an automatic probe word or anyone needs wiped, seems like posters in the sub thread were already coping with butt head embarrassing himself just fine. bit overblown imo.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

It's been a homophobic slur from the 80s. Having been alive and known about it as I was studying microbiology and the outbreak of weird diseases like Kaposi's and Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in young, healthy gay males where it was first called GRID - Gay-Related Immune Disorder. The politics of getting the Reagan administration to fund research into HIV because it was literally "a gay disease"... you can't just handwave away decades of the history of the term. If you're okay with calling something "gay" as a slur then I suppose calling it "totally AIDS" or the like is not a problem.

Before someone says it's no different from calling something "cancer", doing so is just profoundly ignoring the history of linking AIDS with gay men for decades, versus the utter lack of cancer having the same history.

That there's an article on Discrimination against HIV

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_against_people_with_HIV/AIDS

I don't think cancer comes with anything like this stigma. Although Sontag wrote on cancer link

Edit: I should say anyone young enough to have missed the history of HIV in the 80s and 90s and thinks nothing of casually using the term should educate themselves about it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_the_United_States#Public_perception

this is more homophobic than calling things aids, which isnt homophobic at all. and also youre a gigantic homo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

epic troll stux, get his gbs rear end

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

proposal: you can call things aids, gay, homo, retarded, etc and you won’t get probed, as long as you have a south park gang tag

should make everyone happy

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Fajita Queen posted:

Fajita Queen posted:

Saying something is aids in the same way as saying something is cancer is not disparaging gay people, it's saying aids sucks rear end because it's a horrible disease that kills you, much like the posts that people are calling aids. In like a decade people will be doing the same thing with covid. Hope this helps.

Fajita Queen posted:

Also the people having mini meltdowns about it are some of the biggest dipshits on this website and making them get mad over nothing is extremely funny, so I applaud the brave forums soldiers who have given their lives for the cause.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Charles Bukowski posted:

I'd never considered that until this very moment, and wow. Covid fuckin' sucks.

e: Rich Evans doesn't still yell "aids" does he? That wasn't great then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYDWRw7ss5U

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

FilthyImp posted:

this guy really cares about not being a bigot btw. he really cares about gay people and women and other minorities.

FilthyImp posted:

I have some news for you about the current state of gender dynamics in society, friend.

FilthyImp posted:

why isn't there a digital download of the Switch US Super Robot Whores?

FilthyImp posted:

What is your opinion on the unwashed masses that think korean/Chinese funny pages are an equivalent to glorious MaNGa and when will you usher them into their appropriate subforum armaghetto?

Thank you I'll take my question offline

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fajita Queen posted:

The fact that this needs to be explained is a big lol, but that rust guy either likes to concern troll or isn't very smart tbh

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

why is everyone getting so upset over a loving sixer lmao

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jesus Christ, I see the AIDS thing is like a loving batsignal for people who don't post in GBS to suddenly swarm into the Feedback thread. Namecalling and slapfight posts will not be considered feedback

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

nothing else going on

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i just noticed it was actually a 3 day probe but my comment still stands

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

my feedback is that if everyone itt would simply stop typing for awhile their lives would improve in a measurable fashion

itry
Aug 23, 2019

i just noticed it was actually a 3 day probe but my comment still stands

If this was SH/SC it'd be a 30 day probe. They got off easy.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Oh, was it the 16bb probe that kicked it off? Whatever, warning still stands. Also putting the thread into slowmode for the time being, because I feel like it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

itry posted:

If this was SH/SC it'd be a 30 day probe. They got off easy.

Serious Hardware/Software discussion is sacrosanct

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Oh, was it the 16bb probe that kicked it off? Whatever, warning still stands. Also putting the thread into slowmode for the time being, because I feel like it.

Slow mode? Pfft.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bad Purchase posted:

i don’t think aids need be an automatic probe word or anyone needs wiped, seems like posters in the sub thread were already coping with butt head embarrassing himself just fine. bit overblown imo.
Eh. Personally, I'm wary of the whole slippery slope about this slur being kinder and gentler and not as bad. Folks boiling it down to "ha it makes you mad that's funny" is really a weird thing, too.

I think someone posted something along the lines of just taking the hit if it doesn't land and, while I don't think it exactly solves the problem, seems more in line with the way the forums deals with attempts at comedy.

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

this guy really cares about not being a bigot btw. he really cares about gay people and women and other minorities.
I apologize for posting like a shithead to try and rile up Baal(?) when they re-modded. Obviously I'm not going to change your minds about those exchanges, and you could always PM me if you legit want to speak about it.

I don't know why a few of you need a posting enemy but

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
its in slow mode alright

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

It's no longer about the probe, now it's about whether being intentionally offensive is good or bad.

Some forums have an abundance of edgy 4chan trolls, and some have an abundance of be nice to everyone care bears. This site has pretty much always had a strangely high concentration of both, at least comparatively speaking.

So the forum has "rules" against bigotry, but we also have people calling each other homos constantly and whether that rule is enforced depends on who is saying it, where they say it, and whether anyone respectable complains about it.

"But ct, aren't you personally a tremendous piece of poo poo?"

Yes, I have been known to say awful poo poo and eat a probe/ban from time to time. Almost always well deserved. I don't think being a piece of poo poo absolutely negates any point you can possibly make though either.

poo poo's complicated . :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Jesus Christ, I see the AIDS thing is like a loving batsignal for people who don't post in GBS to suddenly swarm into the Feedback thread. Namecalling and slapfight posts will not be considered feedback

Nah rust and filthyimp post here all the time

As do the rest just not in trump threads or gbs superstar threads