Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Holy smokes, my late game Valkia rolled Murderous Momentum just took out all of Stirland and Sylvania in one turn. They really learned fast what works for a smaller Realm of Chaos campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Did you side with WoC or oppose them?

Edit: If you challenge the WoC your job will be to exterminate them, which they might do by themselves just fighting other armies.

I didn't get any option like that. I did read up a bit online and that is a thing that happens but I wonder if it was only in 1 and 2? Since there's no Chaos invasion in TWH3...

Botman
Mar 3, 2006
DASH DASH DASH!!!!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Its been a while, but if there is one it will pop the turn after you win. There were cool plot hooks for wh3 in the wh2 victory texts.

I double checked, and unfortunately, this is all you get for the first game. Hopefully there's more stuff for 2.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

Is there a mod out there that fixes miscast chance modifiers? I figured the community bug fix mod would do it, but Kairos still has 50% even with his special -40% miscast chance skill (which was a complete waste now).

I don't think I've ever thought about or noticed a miscast the entire time I've been playing, it's not really clear what happens differently from a normal spell cast.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I don't think I've ever thought about or noticed a miscast the entire time I've been playing, it's not really clear what happens differently from a normal spell cast.

Same, yeah. I assumed the issue with miscast reduction skills wasn't that they didn't work, but that they weren't properly reflected in the UI.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

bobtheconqueror posted:

Same, yeah. I assumed the issue with miscast reduction skills wasn't that they didn't work, but that they weren't properly reflected in the UI.

A miscast causes damage to the caster, otherwise it's just a regular two strength spellcast. It's more of a problem early game, when your casters get some levels under them they can get spell resistance or whatever and it doesn't do too much damage.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Marmaduke! posted:

I didn't get any option like that. I did read up a bit online and that is a thing that happens but I wonder if it was only in 1 and 2? Since there's no Chaos invasion in TWH3...

Oh, right, yeah. Idk.

Sucks if you can't get the universal 75% upkeep reduction in wh3.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

there's a chance your wizard rolls poorly and screws up an overcast with the result that they take damage. There are also abilities that increase the chance or force a miscast, like with runesmiths. It's more apparent in multiplayer but in certain tight battles it can make a big difference.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there a Mordheim thread? I bought it in the most recent steam sale and am having a decent time, currently as the Sisters of Sigmar.

Vampires loving suuuuck to fight against early.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I always rely on mortaring the poo poo out of vampires and fighting their front line with nothing but free company. Then you just need to hope that Vlad hasn't power curved too much before you can get your hands on him, kill him, then get mad he's back the following turn with a more powerful stack lol.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Is there a Mordheim thread? I bought it in the most recent steam sale and am having a decent time, currently as the Sisters of Sigmar.

Vampires loving suuuuck to fight against early.

The one from several years ago? There used to be a thread, but I think it’s long dormant now. If there’s a new one, or they finally fixed up the old one, I would love to know.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Cranappleberry posted:

there's a chance your wizard rolls poorly and screws up an overcast with the result that they take damage. There are also abilities that increase the chance or force a miscast, like with runesmiths. It's more apparent in multiplayer but in certain tight battles it can make a big difference.

Ask me how I realized thorek basically forces a miscast when I was playing vampires.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

I installed a mod that makes them flashier but also give a bunch of extra effects like - vigor and like -60% speed for a while after one occurs and I also can't uninstall it for this Tzeench campaign so well I guess it's no overcasting or 40 speed Kairos getting hit by Every Missile now.

Sucks because the visual miscast explosion from the mod looks great, the main reason I grabbed it

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Sometimes, you can find good stuff on the Total War subreddit.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

I installed a mod that makes them flashier but also give a bunch of extra effects like - vigor and like -60% speed for a while after one occurs and I also can't uninstall it for this Tzeench campaign so well I guess it's no overcasting or 40 speed Kairos getting hit by Every Missile now.

Sucks because the visual miscast explosion from the mod looks great, the main reason I grabbed it

ya, i have 100s of hours in these games and ive never noticed a failed overcast. Im sure its happened but the feedback for it is so laughably anemic that im willing to bet that most the playerbase doesnt even know that overcasts can fail

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
As a teenage tabletop player many years ago, rolling on the miscast table was usually the highlight of any game back when I played. So I was disappointed at how anemic they are in TWW.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Er, is there any particular reason for a stack of chorfs to be in Naggaroth? It's not even one of the majors, it's Servants of the Conclave. They're just... sitting near Hag Graef.

I rolled orcs for the endgame crisis, so I know it's not that.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

They're on vacation.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Er, is there any particular reason for a stack of chorfs to be in Naggaroth? It's not even one of the majors, it's Servants of the Conclave. They're just... sitting near Hag Graef.

I rolled orcs for the endgame crisis, so I know it's not that.

Convoys. Chorfs have a caravan system like that of Cathay, and it does go over to Delf lands.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Sometimes, you can find good stuff on the Total War subreddit.

ChatGPT posted:

Cor, blimey, gather 'round, me old mates,
I'll tell ya a tale 'bout me and me brother, Skars', of late.
We was 'itchhikin' down a long and lonely road,
When suddenly, a shiny demon 'e showed.

Right there in the middle of the bleedin' street,
'E said, "Play the best song in the world, or I'll eat
Ya bloomin' souls, I will, without a care!"
Well, me and Skars', we looked at each other, scared.

But we nodded, we did, and we said, "Alright,
We'll give it a go, mate, we'll put up a fight."
So we played the first thing that came to our noggins,
And it just so 'appened to be the best song, no fibbin'.

It was the greatest song in the bleedin' world, no lie,
Look into me eyes, it's easy to spy,
One and one makes two, two and one makes three,
It was destiny, me friends, destiny, you see.

Once every 'undred thousand years or so,
When the sun shines bright and the moon doth glow,
And the grass grows tall in the fields so fine,
That's when this song comes, so sublime.

Needless to say, the beast was stunned,
Whip-crack went 'is whippy tail, we 'ad won!
'E asked, "Be you angels?" and we replied,
"Nah, mate, we're just orc, but we rock, we stride!"

Ah, ah, ah, oh, wo, a-yo!
This ain't the greatest song, ya know,
It's just a tribute, a humble try,
Couldn't remember the greatest song, oh my!

This 'ere's a tribute, to the greatest song in the land,
Alright, me ol' pals, give it a hand!
It was the greatest song in the bleedin' world, no doubt,
This is the greatest, motherflippin' song, shout it out!

And the funny thing is, me dear old mates,
The song we sang that fateful night, I must state,
It didn't sound a lick like this one we sing,
This 'ere's just a tribute, to that special thing!

You gotta believe me, this tale I do share,
I wish ya was there, mates, I wish ya was there.
It's just a matter of opinion, that's the truth,
Ah, ah, oh! Good Mork, we got love, that's the proof!

I'm so surprised, can't stop this feelin', so grand,
Alright, me lovelies, let's rock this land!
Alright!

Edit:
Here's a better version asking chatgpt to write as a warhammer orc instead of cockney
Gather round, ya grots, listen up good,
Me gonna tell ya a tale from da Orcish hood.
Long time ago, me and me orcish brother,
Wez walkin' down a road, all fierce and smothered.

Outta nowhere, a shiny demon did appear,
In da middle of the road, wez filled with fear.
'E said, "Play da best song in da world, or ya die!"
Me and me brother looked, gritted teef, said, "Aye!"

Wez played da first fing that popped in our 'eads,
Da best song in da world, wez smashin' da dreads.
Look into me eyes, ya see strength untold,
One and one makes two, destiny wez hold.

Once in a hundred thousand years or so,
When da sun shines bright, and da moon doth glow,
And da grass grows green, reachin' fer da sky,
Dat's when da greatest song sings, wez mighty high.

Da beast was stunned, couldn't believe his eye,
Crack went his whip, wez givin' 'im da cry.
He asked, "Be ya angels?" Wez roared with pride,
"Nay, wez da Orcs, fierce and wild, on da warpath ride!"

Ah, ah, ah, oh, wo, a-yo!
Dis ain't da greatest song, me say so.
Dis 'ere's a tribute, a humble sign,
Couldn't remember da greatest, dat ain't mine!

Dis is a tribute to da greatest in da land,
Alright, me boyz, raise ya weapons in me hand!
It was da greatest song, no doubt, me lad,
Dis is da greatest, feelin' oh so bad!

But da funny fing is, me orcish mate,
Da song wez sang, dat fateful date,
It didn't sound like dis 'un wez yellin' tonight,
Dis 'ere's just a tribute, burnin' bright!

Ya gotta believe me, dis tale I proclaim,
Wish ya was dere, in da midst of da flame.
It's a matter of powa, ya grot-faced lot,
Ah, ah, oh! Gork and Mork, blessin' wez got!

Surprised, can't stop dis WAAAAGH! in me soul,
Alright, me boyz, let's rock, make 'em pay da toll!
Alright! Da Orcs iz da mightiest, da strongest ya see,
Dis da greatest, in da world of da green sea!

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 10, 2023

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Insurrectionist posted:

As a teenage tabletop player many years ago, rolling on the miscast table was usually the highlight of any game back when I played. So I was disappointed at how anemic they are in TWW.

I never played and just read the army books. But I would very much like to see a goblin shaman bouncing around like a squig uncontrollably.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bobtheconqueror posted:

Convoys. Chorfs have a caravan system like that of Cathay, and it does go over to Delf lands.

Huh, I had no idea it could go all that way.

Noted!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Insurrectionist posted:

That mod used to just be visual but it is now trash. I'd recommend just restarting without it, playing Kairos without magic isn't going to be a worthwhile or good experience.

Kairos shouldn't give a poo poo about miscasts due to his regenerating barrier.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 10, 2023

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Cythereal posted:

Huh, I had no idea it could go all that way.

Noted!
They can, but until Grimgor dies they usually won't (he squats on the depot and poaches every single convoy you send anywhere pointing towards the top half of the map). So you've either got a dead-Greenskin outlier situation or are witnessing from a lack of anti-player bias against the convoys by not playing a chorf

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

They can, but until Grimgor dies they usually won't (he squats on the depot and poaches every single convoy you send anywhere pointing towards the top half of the map). So you've either got a dead-Greenskin outlier situation or are witnessing from a lack of anti-player bias against the convoys by not playing a chorf

Grimgor is very dead, I killed him.

I sent a force up to grab the Eastern Colonies, then kept going and punched out Ku'gath. I had no particular plans beyond just taking the Dragon Isles, but then a Greasus/Grimgor alliance got rowdy with me.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lol the age of sigmar game sucks, much like the setting. I remain vindicated in my hatred.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Learning the convoy routes is key to huge amounts of free money and experience. Like if you get that settlement near Azhag and Kislev, they land right near the garrison so you can have a generic lord with like 2 units and wardec them then pull in your garrison to auto-resolve it. Each one is usually 20k+, it's crazy.

By the way I've been doing the Kairos IE campaign again to re-familiarize myself and I forgot just how miserable it is, even with a trick start. You can get pushed from every friggin direction and never get to consolidate for a solid 50+ turns. Just constant lizards and wandering all around the southern wastes repeatedly. I think my next go I'm just going to sell Teclis' settlements to the Skaven minor and use them as a buffer while I finish off the southern continent. For whatever reason Mannfred sucks since the last patch and never seems to go south to fight with the lizards like he used to. This means you get Tictaq'to barreling south at the worst possible time too.

I've been going after Teclis first since he comes south 99% of the time and then I get pushed by the slaanesh faction and Oxy. The Slaanesh faction is frustrating because you can gift them a settlement and get a NAP or whatever and they just seem hard coded to wardec you anyway despite lacking the usual betrayal traits.

I might use the change starting settlement mod just to see what Kairos is like...anywhere else because it seems like it would be a fun campaign if the first 50 turns weren't 100% lizard misery.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I wonder if Kairos might benefit from charging over via sea lane to the Eastern Isles too

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah the Kairos start sucks cause those Southern wastes are pretty secure once you push off the lizards but it's only four provinces and they take forever to traverse.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

There needs to be a mod that changes Skarbrand's accept diplomacy message to "gently caress! gently caress! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!"

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

It's offset bc Kairos and his army are some of the most fun I've had in the game but yea it's a brutal start, Oxyl is strong and hard to beat nevermind all the rest. However his spells are amazing and I was pulling in 500+ kills with infernal gateway. It's one of the campaigns that really helps if you fight every battle and use all his spells, even then your stretched thin.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the real important thing is to half rear end the ganking of the demon minors so you can whole rear end the ganking of the order lls

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

It's offset bc Kairos and his army are some of the most fun I've had in the game but yea it's a brutal start, Oxyl is strong and hard to beat nevermind all the rest. However his spells are amazing and I was pulling in 500+ kills with infernal gateway. It's one of the campaigns that really helps if you fight every battle and use all his spells, even then your stretched thin.

I manually fight every battle but you're often fighting Oxyotl, Teclis and the minors to the east at the same time and Kairos can't be in two places at the same time. I've been down to a single settlement before because its hard to finish off one without getting back capped by the other and fielding a second stack is difficult. Best I can work out is killing Teclis early (by turn 4-5) but you still have to clean up the rest of the wastes which is like 20-30 turns of trudging/misery and hope that the Lizards don't decide to wardec and come over. Heck in my last game Kroq'gar came down to party on like turn 30, what the hell!

It's not impossible, I'm through the worst of it but drat I remember now why I never play Kairos.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
funnily enough a globe view would make kairos a fuckton easier

map projections are serious fuckin business in this game

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Next DLC is Tzeentch so probably worth waiting a little bit if you fancy playing them...

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Next dlc is kislev cathay and tzeench, which has me chomping at the bit for any release info. They're the coolest armies in the game and I want more.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Wonder if they're gonna tap into some Age of Sigmar stuff for Tzeentch, they're already basically out of stuff from the Fantasy tabletop iirc. Ogroids and Tzaangors would be pretty cool

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I long for the beastmen skittle update where they add flavors

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My current game is as Kairos, and my feeling is that the roster is fine, what they need help with is game mechanics and Kairos' rear end-clencher of a starting position.

I got very, very lucky when Tiktaq'to picked a fight with Teclis and kept those two assholes busy for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ninjahedgehog posted:

Wonder if they're gonna tap into some Age of Sigmar stuff for Tzeentch, they're already basically out of stuff from the Fantasy tabletop iirc. Ogroids and Tzaangors would be pretty cool

The way I see it, I expect a lot of the newer daemon units to just get backported into The Old World...whenever that comes out...and are fodder for the TW games. Unlike a lot of AoS stuff, the daemonic designs are all pretty contiguous with Fantasy's.