Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Monkey Fracas posted:

If interest rates stay high it's going to slowly suffocate a bunch of zombie corps

Who will be next

Spirit Halloween and Ollie's Bargain Outlet greedily rub their hands together as more and more physical retail is killed off so they can move into the husks like some kinda retail hermit crab

I still fondly remember MSNBC having a suit from Ollie's on at the start of the pandemic to have a jovial discussion on their recent windfall, and the guy was deadpan "We're only doing this well because the economy we know is collapsing onto us, and that is terrifying."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The article basically quotes the dude saying "if my rocket engine company is successful, it means I have government contracts, which means I will never be able to visit my family in Iran, so it's either we pivot to be a generic flavor of the month trendchaser or I never see my family again" which is doomsday eco in another sense

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ollie’s is fun as long as you think of shopping there as plundering the corpse of failing retail.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Isn't ollie's the place where you can get groceries where it's like "the pickles not covered in brine got mold but everything under the brine is okay still"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Justin Tyme posted:

Isn't ollie's the place where you can get groceries where it's like "the pickles not covered in brine got mold but everything under the brine is okay still"

IF U WANT IT?
IT'S 4 SALE OK

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Justin Tyme posted:

my friend used to go there to buy cases of an energy shot called Lucifer’s Lemonade. they tasted more like Lucifer’s butthole, but they would keep you awake!

Akratic Method has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Jul 9, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

Yeah, it rules

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Monkey Fracas posted:

Spirit Halloween and Ollie's Bargain Outlet greedily rub their hands together as more and more physical retail is killed off so they can move into the husks like some kinda retail hermit crab
i've never heard of an ollies: is that a midwest or southern thing?

i gotta respect spirit's business model, it's crazy and stupid and each year i keep thinking it'll be the last for spirit but they keep pulling through year-over-year

anyways :rip: christmas store. we only have 1 perennial christmas store in the entire bay area (or maybe whole state) left anyways, there used to be several in the 90s but closed up around dot-com era.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

ollies is where the things big lots cant sell ends up

also christmas tree shops was like a shittier bed bath and beyond, so it going after BBB collapsed makes sense. they have christmas stuff year round but it wasn't like a 100% year round dedicated christmas decoration store.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The Ollie's around here moved into a really old Circuit City building that was sitting unoccupied up until a few years ago

Also the various Dollar store chains are doing really well in this environment. I'd like to know more about their procurement processes- went into one the other day and they were selling some Ritz-alike crackers that were somehow imported from India

How can that possibly be cheaper than like any domestic supplier

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
bear market is dead. long live the perma-BULL market ftw

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the door to the dollar general portals you to Uttar Pradesh

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Xaris posted:

bear market is dead. long live the perma-BULL market ftw

Can you still make money off a short position if the company closes entirely and the stock ceases to exist?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/whatifisaidit/status/1677448654875926528?t=SPT0a0TOfUAi6IZ0N-22rg&s=19

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Saw on facebook that an acquaintance from university is selling a 2021 audi sq7 for 96,000. Its just mind boggling to me

1- you probably spent more than that 2 years ago on it new, so they are taking a loss

2- who the gently caress is paying 100, 000 for a goddamn car

3- why would you do that anyway? Spend 60k and get a fancy car and spend the other 40,000 on luxury vacations. Do you know how many nights you can spend on a luxury safari for FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Akratic Method posted:

Can you still make money off a short position if the company closes entirely and the stock ceases to exist?

I thought that's like the win condition of shorting. You don't have to pay back poo poo because the stocks are now worthless.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Hey, I don't kinkshame but I really don't want to hear about the kinky poo poo they get up to at the Court...

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has issued a correction as of 20:34 on Jul 9, 2023

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

sleep with the vicious posted:

Saw on facebook that an acquaintance from university is selling a 2021 audi sq7 for 96,000. Its just mind boggling to me

1- you probably spent more than that 2 years ago on it new, so they are taking a loss

3- why would you do that anyway? Spend 60k and get a fancy car and spend the other 40,000 on luxury vacations. Do you know how many nights you can spend on a luxury safari for FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS

a vacation doesn’t let strangers know you can afford a $100k car

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

like four

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Monkey Fracas posted:

Also the various Dollar store chains are doing really well in this environment. I'd like to know more about their procurement processes- went into one the other day and they were selling some Ritz-alike crackers that were somehow imported from India

How can that possibly be cheaper than like any domestic supplier

They probably got a one-off big lot of it for pennies on the dollar from some other retailer because it didn't sell well there.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Justin Tyme posted:

The article basically quotes the dude saying "if my rocket engine company is successful, it means I have government contracts, which means I will never be able to visit my family in Iran, so it's either we pivot to be a generic flavor of the month trendchaser or I never see my family again" which is doomsday eco in another sense
He jinxed it, now his company's AI will end up being wildly successful with a lot of novel military applications

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Akratic Method posted:

this guy managed to figure out a way to not make money on shorting first republic bank

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/135n0ko/robinhood_will_let_my_295000_in_frc_puts_expire/

quote:

Robinhood will let my $295,000 in FRC puts expire worthless, while other brokers allow users to cash out
The OCC has released guidance allowing FRC put holders to cash out and exercise their puts. Multiple brokerages like IBKR and Fidelity are allowing put holders without shares to exercise into a short position if they have enough cash collateral.

Robinhood is also allowing FRC put holders to exercise. However due to their policy against short selling, most put holders are unable to exercise and cash out.

Robinhood playing chicken with my life savings

I falsely assumed Robinhood had its users best interests at heart. In fact I was so confident, that I arrogantly claimed Robinhood would allow me to exercise. Robinhood had previously allowed SBNY put holders to exercise. I foolishly used this amongst other misinformation to misconstrue that Robinhood cared about its customers. I am deeply sorry to everyone I lashed out on defending such a corrupt, vile, dishonorable company.

Yes I have a huge stake in making this post: my life savings

I greedily ignored the advice of WSB and held my winning position until FRC was halted. I was overwhelmingly warned not to count on Robinhood to do right by its customers. I am extremely regretful for not listening. I know I'm not the right person to be championing this. I acted like a cocky rear end in a top hat to everyone because I was so sure of myself. I was wrong and I am sorry.

However, this is bigger than my dumb degenerate gambling rear end. This is an injustice. Robinhood has every ability to cash out FRC put holders. Yet they will allow people who correctly bet against First Republic to lose everything. Thousands of dollars in Robinhood customer’s FRC puts will expire worthless on Friday. We cannot let Robinhood get away with ripping its customers off for thousands of dollars. This billion dollar company treats it's users like worthless pond scum. gently caress ROBINHOOD.

I urge everyone reading this to reach out to Robinhood via Twitter and other social media platforms. If Robinhood bends to the pressure and allows short selling on FRC for put holders, I will donate $10,000 of my gains to the Autism Society of America. Under threat of ban, I make this donation pledge.

Footnote: Yes, I will attempt to sue Robinhood if they do not allow me to exercise. This is my last ditch effort to exhaust all routes before taking that leap.

Update: FRC will resume trading on OTC tomorrow. I should be able to sell my puts for a large gain. However Robinhood has a policy against OTC trading too. Thus they still may not let me cash out. The battle may continue….

Update update: RH support confirmed that I “should” be able to sell my puts tomorrow. Not for certain, but looks very likely I can cash out tomorrow.

e: nevermind, looks like he might have got the money but then immediately lost it all on another trade and got banned from wallstreetbets for not following through with the charity pledge

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 20:31 on Jul 9, 2023

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

On top of being class signifiers, a lot of Americans get weirdly attached to a particular "aspirational" brand and spend years or even decades longing for their preferred model of luxury vehicle. They will sign a blank check to make that image of them in that car just driving around a reality.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ubiquitous advertising probably goes to that

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

That person got taken to the cleaners by their dealer. I bought a q7 in 2020 for 55k and zero apr

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

i've never heard of an ollies: is that a midwest or southern thing?

They’re from and headquartered in the capital region of PA, they were an institution when i was growing up. Glad to see the central PA economic situation from thirty years ago has spread to 28 other states

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

caelxii posted:

That person got taken to the cleaners by their dealer. I bought a q7 in 2020 for 55k and zero apr

sq7s start at 90k

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Still waiting for the car price apocalypse to bring stock down to where they were pre-covid

Think dealers are now having issues selling PATRIOT STAR-SPANGLED BALL FONDLER trucks at already hi-margin manufacturer MSRPs + the gently caress You Dealer Markup

except for Toyota where they're still having issues keeping things stocked

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Monkey Fracas posted:

Still waiting for the car price apocalypse to bring stock down to where they were pre-covid

Think dealers are now having issues selling PATRIOT STAR-SPANGLED BALL FONDLER trucks at already hi-margin manufacturer MSRPs + the gently caress You Dealer Markup

except for Toyota where they're still having issues keeping things stocked

Anecdotally around here, the car lots are almost completely loving barren. They've all resorted to shifting what stock they do have to the front of their lot to try and mask the fact that the rest of their concrete lot is empty. Because I live in East Rural Cardependent Fuckton, I need to buy a new car and there's basically nothing available. I may need to go to a major city several hours' drive away just to find something.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Vox Nihili posted:

On top of being class signifiers, a lot of Americans get weirdly attached to a particular "aspirational" brand and spend years or even decades longing for their preferred model of luxury vehicle. They will sign a blank check to make that image of them in that car just driving around a reality.

I know a dude who was an editor for the local Ferrari Club in college. he use to rag on Miata for being a poor person car. he’s about 2 decades out of college now. hope that dude gets his Ferrari one day

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
it rocks not having a car payment or having to pay for comp and collision insurance, my car might be almost 20 years old but it's still goin along fine and the bonus is it doesn't have an annoying tablet touchscreen or a ton of overbloated "safety" features

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shipon posted:

it rocks not having a car payment or having to pay for comp and collision insurance, my car might be almost 20 years old but it's still goin along fine and the bonus is it doesn't have an annoying tablet touchscreen or a ton of overbloated "safety" features
look at this pleb who can't watch harry potter while driving. sad!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Mr. Lobe posted:

I thought that's like the win condition of shorting. You don't have to pay back poo poo because the stocks are now worthless.

You're right, I was mixing up shorting and put options!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

back up cameras are really nice

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

They probably got a one-off big lot of it for pennies on the dollar from some other retailer because it didn't sell well there.

IIRC that's literally where Big Lots gets its name, they buy a massive amount of something that didn't sell and are able to negotiate a lower price because of it, passing the savings onto you their shareholders.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Rochallor posted:

IIRC that's literally where Big Lots gets its name, they buy a massive amount of something that didn't sell and are able to negotiate a lower price because of it, passing the savings onto you their shareholders.

Yep, overstock and spot buys were most of its portfolio back in the day but Big Lots does a lot of direct sourcing of product now. It has acquired several brands over the years and contracts vendors to manufacture them. Big Lots bought out the Broyhill furniture brand for example. Now it’s pretty much just a Dollar General with furniture.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

back up cameras are really nice

they make people worse drivers, since people just stare at the screen instead of actually looking back

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Shipon posted:

they make people worse drivers, since people just stare at the screen instead of actually looking back

Which you can't really do anymore, because modern car design is like staring out of a pillbox.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Nothus posted:

Which you can't really do anymore, because modern car design is like staring out of a pillbox.

i still do 'check mirrors, arm on passenger chair, crane back/neck to look out the rear' to backup by default habit even on a modern car but yeah it sucks dick and then start using the wide-angle backup camera instead since you can't really see the peripheral anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shipon posted:

Ok boomer grandpa