Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

EW said the Dodgers and Angels are tied with the most players on the IL right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
The Angels have 16 MLB level players that are either hurt or on the IL. Without moving more to the 60 day IL they don't have enough room on the 40 man to field a 26 man active roster.

Yesterday they started only 2 guys that were in the opening day starting lineup (Ohtani and Refroe) with Rengifo coming in for Adell. Everyone else was due to injury and not because they suck.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Good Dog posted:

The Angels have 16 MLB level players that are either hurt or on the IL. Without moving more to the 60 day IL they don't have enough room on the 40 man to field a 26 man active roster.

Yesterday they started only 2 guys that were in the opening day starting lineup (Ohtani and Refroe) with Rengifo coming in for Adell. Everyone else was due to injury and not because they suck.

Jesus Christ.

I don't have delusions of grandeur with the Angels, but I was hopeful they could compete for a Wildcard spot. But that's just loving grim.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Grem posted:

Pretty much, Angels sniffed the wild card so far, if you trade Ohtani whatever you're getting better take you to that point or better. But it won't, because no one is giving that up for a rental. Angel fans like myself, who have lived horrible, horrible lives because of this team, would implode in anger. Well actually that makes a trade seem pretty likely.

There's no good reason for the Angels to not trade Ohtani. They were a Wild Card team at best with Trout and probably sixth seed at best without him. Trading him would be an all-time L but letting him walk in FA would be as well. At least they should be able to get a couple of good prospects if they just bite the bullet.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Gotta trade him. The haul would be insane and he has no reason to resign there.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The haul would not be insane, and that’s the problem. Returns for rentals have been in decline lately. It is unlikely that a team will give up enough to outweigh the franchise damage of trading Ohtani.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
The closest comparison is probably Mookie Betts, and the Red Sox only got one top-100 prospect and some filler for him. And they traded a full season, not two months. The return for Juan Soto was a little light, and that was 2.5 years of control. You just don't get franchise-altering hauls for rentals anymore -- the days of being able to turn your franchise around by flipping Mark Teixeira are over.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bravesword posted:

The closest comparison is probably Mookie Betts, and the Red Sox only got one top-100 prospect and some filler for him. And they traded a full season, not two months. The return for Juan Soto was a little light, and that was 2.5 years of control. You just don't get franchise-altering hauls for rentals anymore.

The Red Sox also used Betts to dump Price.

Ohtani's also the equivalent of two players. They're trading half a season of him but that's half a season of an elite bat and half a season of a very good arm.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Angles could always re-sign Ohtani after trading him

Just sayin

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Angles could always re-sign Ohtani after trading him

Just sayin

I mean, they could, but this basically never happens. The only times I can remember are Cliff Lee and Aroldis Chapman. I certainly don't think it would happen for a team that hasn't won anything in a decade and is selling at the deadline the first time it looks like it might happen.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/MikeGianella/status/1678100578537476097

Congrats to mcmagic

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
N: The Nintendo Switch has a free game trial of MLB The Show 23 going on for the next few days.

V: I played an exhibition game with the Cubs against the Astros. Cubs won 8-0 with Stroman getting the cgso on 74 pitches. If only it were a real game.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

The Red Sox also used Betts to dump Price.

Ohtani's also the equivalent of two players. They're trading half a season of him but that's half a season of an elite bat and half a season of a very good arm.
So compare to what the Dodgers gave up for half a season of Scherzer + a season and a half of Trea Turner.

Does Keibert Ruiz and Josiah Gray seem like a return that would make it worth the PR hit the Angels take for trading Ohtani?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bravesword posted:

I mean, they could, but this basically never happens. The only times I can remember are Cliff Lee and Aroldis Chapman. I certainly don't think it would happen for a team that hasn't won anything in a decade and is selling at the deadline the first time it looks like it might happen.

Jason "Potato Chips" Hammel came back to the Cubs

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Max Fried had his first rehab start in Gwinnett today, threw 35 pitches on a count so strict they pulled him with a 2-2 count. Velocity apparently fine, command is gonna take a while and he has to stretch out all over again so we're basically talking a spring training's worth of time before he's back. Kyle Wright still looking like an August return.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

So compare to what the Dodgers gave up for half a season of Scherzer + a season and a half of Trea Turner.

Does Keibert Ruiz and Josiah Gray seem like a return that would make it worth the PR hit the Angels take for trading Ohtani?

No but that's why you never trade with the Dodgers: if Friedman is willing to let go of a prospect it's because the FO is pretty sure they're not gonna pan out regardless of actual top prospect status, and the Dodgers FO is far more often right about that sort of thing than wrong. The only major whiff I can think of in recent memory is trading Alvarez, but he was traded when he was still 19 and in complex ball so I'll give the Dodgers a pass on not quite identifying him yet as a generational talent.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really don't think there will be a team willing to shell out multiple big time prospects for an Ohtani rental. As good as he is, you are trading that for two months of him plus maybe some playoff games

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Miz Kriss posted:

N: The Nintendo Switch has a free game trial of MLB The Show 23 going on for the next few days.

V: I played an exhibition game with the Cubs against the Astros. Cubs won 8-0 with Stroman getting the cgso on 74 pitches. If only it were a real game.

The Show is so good, everyone should play The Show.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Popping in for my annual baseball post to say: The Orioles

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If this isn't the end of the Twins season I'll be surprised.

Like, yes, the Orioles are Good this year. But we've been getting fuckin shelled lately, and our bats *still* haven't woken up.

Unless there's some kind of ASB renaissance, we're gonna get shown up by the Guards AGAIN.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

Like, yes, the Orioles are Good this year. But we've been getting fuckin shelled lately, and our bats *still* haven't woken up.

Unless there's some kind of ASB renaissance, we're gonna get shown up by the Guards AGAIN.

I can't even use run differential to deflect after today :(

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kilometers Davis posted:

The Show is so good, everyone should play The Show.

Just don't buy this year's version for RTTS: there's been a bug since launch that prevents you from increasing created player attributes past ~40 no matter how much you train them and despite supposedly being aware of it for months SDS still hasn't patched it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Why do the Rangers suck now

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

rickiep00h posted:

you're one game out in the shittiest division in baseball with 70 games left to play and your schedule through the end of July is probably the softest in baseball

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
winning 3 of 4 in Houston at any time is a big accomplishment.

Keep it up out of the break and with Texas looking mortal maybe Seattle can work themselves back into a division race.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Mariners end the stretch before the all star break taking 7 of 10 from the Rays, Astros, and Giants and are back over .500. It's a good sign from the team, I am a bit worried it's a little late considering how many teams they have to step over to take a wild card spot. Pitching has been back to being excellent and the offense has been okay enough, including a huge 7 run comeback versus the Rays in this stretch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You love to see it

https://twitter.com/fishonfirst/status/1678133333568413697?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

rickiep00h posted:

It's worth remembering that the 2021 World Series champs were above .500 for 0 games before August.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

elentar posted:

you're one game out in the shittiest division in baseball with 70 games left to play and your schedule through the end of July is probably the softest in baseball

I'll ask you to not try and talk people down who have just gotten swept, at home, for a cumulative score of 24-4. Fifteen of which happened today. Going into the All-Star Break.

The hitting on this team is PATHETIC and it has absolutely no right to be. The pitching has kept us afloat for months waiting for the bats to wake up and they have refused to hit well for more than one game at a time. Now it's finally falling down and the bats still are dead.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Redeye Flight posted:

The hitting on this team is PATHETIC and it has absolutely no right to be. The pitching has kept us afloat for months waiting for the bats to wake up and they have refused to hit well for more than one game at a time. Now it's finally falling down and the bats still are dead.

Even if it's just shuffling around deck chairs they need to tell their hitting coach not to come back after the all-star break

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

They have always sucked my friend

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/bryanhoch/status/1678150810809630726?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

He’s so stupid but he’ll be manager for 10 more seasons

DefensiveLockout
Feb 18, 2022
Draft Thread Live

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

He's not the reason they suck but it's just funny that a 300 million dollar team needs to have a manager this bad.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1678100277407236098

lol get his rear end

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

It's a lot harder to hate Ross for his managerial decisions when he does cool poo poo like chirping at lovely umps

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Did they finally stop hitting like the 27 Yankees with men on base

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

Even if it's just shuffling around deck chairs they need to tell their hitting coach not to come back after the all-star break

From what I understand from the "players only meeting" they seem to have all agreed to just do whatever they want and the hitting coach isn't really involved anymore, so I don't think whoever it is is doing anything, really, anyway. Not that I really put much stock into hitting coaches

Whatever the org is doing at this point is actively loving up production, though. We got 3 hits and 2 runs off Kyle fuckin Gibson, who was on our team for seven years.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Did they finally stop hitting like the 27 Yankees with men on base

Skeptic ranger fan in me says having five all star starters can't be sustainable. The Braves have eight but the Rangers aren't the Braves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1678164616403116037

PHEW! They found the guy who's fault it is!!!