Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

explosivo posted:

Yeah I am in what I assume is the latter part of the game now and this stuff was pretty frustrating. Some of the quests teleport you back to the boat once you complete them but there's no way to tell so I've had dives get cut of early because I stumbled into a quest while fishing. The one stealth section forces you to go to it once you go back to the boat and doesn't give you a chance to save/quit until you go through the whole section. VIPs or events coinciding with days where story stuff happens sucks too because you don't get all the time to stock up for service. I still think it's a fantastic game and it's an easy recommend but it feels like the later I get into it the more questionable decisions start to surface.
I'm kind of feeling like this too, but I think a lot of the stuff you can just ignore until later if you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

FPS_Sage posted:

Yep, those are my feelings about Dave the Diver as well. I loved the early section of the game when it was just fishing and the restaurant. But they just keep adding more and more 'stuff' to do that it starts to feel like a chore. Having multiple special events coinciding on a single night (VIPs, special fish conventions, special missions) can make it feel unnecessarily stressful at times, when this game's biggest strength is how chill it can be otherwise. Are there any unlocks later in the game that let you 'automate' the farms in some way?

You can get sprinklers if you upgrade the watering cans fully but that's as far as farm automation goes. You'll still have to plant the seeds and harvest manually.

I think the game adds in days if story content is going to interfere with special fish conventions, not sure about VIPs. Was kind of frustrated at one point because a story bit happened on the day that a jellyfish festival was supposed to take place and I thought I had missed it, but then it happened the next day instead.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 8, 2023

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Updates on my time with Strangers of Paradise for the fellow high-speed-stylish-action impaired. I'm about 38 hours in now and I have finished most of the game up through Bahamut difficulty. Bahamut is the fifth level of difficulty. I think there is at least one more difficulty level unlock past this and I still haven't see hide or hair of the DLC content so I assume that's at least another couple hours.

So far I feel a lot better about it that Wo Long. I've been able to get by with a mix of dodging, parrying, and blocking and none of them feel completely useless. The spells and abilities are useful but feel kind of at odds with the actually melee system a little bit. It still kinda works as a completely different playstyle but they don't mesh together very smoothly as a flow if you want to melee, toss a spell, then roll back into melee. You can do that but the spells really seem to want to be charged more. Guns are weird and I think I just don't fully understand how those are intended to play. There are also some higher skill-ceiling things like various kinds of animation canceling, chain comboing, and on the fly job-swapping stuff that I am pretty mediocre at but hasn't yet been really demanded of me either.

The game is split up into missions ala Monster Hunter, MGS Peacewalker, MGS5, etc, etc. Not a super big deal but different than what I initially expected. Most of the levels are fine but a few are easy to get lost in even after you have done them a lot. I'd say about 2 of the ~20 levels are actively bad from level layout and aesthetic viewpoints. I combine those two things together because they are related, the levels I am talking about are all horribly textured and that combines with the layout to make them a chore to navigate and just be in. Reminds me a lot of how the Oblivion Gates in TES Oblivion were just a mess. The other problem is, in the classic Monster Hunter style, you are expected to re-play levels over and over to grind up gear and XP.

Right now I'm taking a break because my hands hurt from trying to down the Warrior Of Light on the last level of Bahamut difficulty. This is the first fight where the mechanics are forcing me to really focus on defense and only going in at specific points and its kicking my rear end. Before this I found that at the default Action difficulty things were just a tad too easy but you couldn't really go up a difficulty level to Hard or Chaos without gearing up first or trash mobs could just one shot you from nowhere. This is the very first fight I felt like I couldn't just grind to outgear if I was having trouble.

The story is interesting for a FF and has lots of tie-ins and references to all the other FF games throughout history. Most of the levels are loosely based on specific parts of specific games while the main story itself plays around with what happened in FF1. The main story is ultimately pretty decent as long as you don't think too hard about it or pick at some of the plot holes too much. Which kind of fits the vibe of the whole game really. Its a good game to turn your brain down to a simmer on. A summer blockbuster equivalent.

Overall I think this is a pretty solid game. I think it fills a nice niche for Monster Hunter fans who want a game that demands slightly more of you in combat than those games but is less cruel than a Wo Long. I'd put it right about the same level as a Dark Souls 3 challenge wise I think.

8/10

Objective Action fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 9, 2023

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Thanks for the Voidigo recommendation. I've done a few runs now. Last night I got an item that gave me rocket boosters in midair, it was a blast hurtling through the air dodging attacks while finding moments to counterattack. Game is good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Stranger of paradise rules. great coop game to play with a friend.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

This is more video game adjacent than anything, but I played The Witcher: The Boardgame tonight and the Roach miniature is the best :3:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sab669 posted:

This is more video game adjacent than anything, but I played The Witcher: The Boardgame tonight and the Roach miniature is the best :3:

:3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sab669 posted:

Ahaha, that's great.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Just figured out a new strategy in the sick-brained game hoarding meta: Finally turn off that "on sale" filter on my wishlist to discover a bunch of older indie games that have subsequently gone 100% free and add them to my account. Boom, wishlist is now a few games lighter. :shepface:

Just be careful because some of them are actual F2P games, which obviously must be handled differently.

Edit: In fairness to myself, I both actually culled a few things from the list for first time in years and only bought a small handful of games, most of which I immediately played. :toot:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 9, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Stranger of Paradise is amazing and I was taken completely by surprise by how good it's story is, and I don't even have any attachments to the FF franchise.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

alright, wrapped up my sale spending. $100 across Steam/Fanatical turned into:

Battle Axe (now beaten), Marvel's Avengers (now beaten), Lunistice (now beaten), Chop Goblins (now beaten), Ladybug Quest, Artifact Adventure, Tyrant's Blessing, Tails of Iron, 24 Killers (started), Beyond the Long Night, Floppy Knights, Wall World (started), Hatchwell, Greyhat, Soulstice, Camp Canyonwood, Killer7, Ravva and the Cyclops Curse, Insect Adventure, Polyville Canyon, Sunshine Heavy Industries, Before the Green Moon, and Psycron

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished Blood and Cryptic Passage, mostly on the medium difficulty

good stuff that stands the test of time extremely well, though i may now be permanently paranoid around blind corners

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

finished Blood and Cryptic Passage, mostly on the medium difficulty

good stuff that stands the test of time extremely well, though i may now be permanently paranoid around blind corners
If you aren't Blooded out after that, get the Death Wish mod. A lot of the levels in that are even better than the original game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i have it installed and ready to go, but i'm going to take a break before starting. the base game and cryptic passage took me around 12 hours and i've heard death wish is nearly that long by itself

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Stranger of Paradise is amazing and I was taken completely by surprise by how good it's story is, and I don't even have any attachments to the FF franchise.

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised by that. I was ready for a dumb game about four jocks and their orbs but it actually had some heart to it. The elf king was a way stronger character than I expected, his whole ”who AM I?” scene with jack and the subsequent payoff actually kinda got me a little

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I'm gonna get gunfire reborn, do I need the DLC now or can I get them later after playing the main game a bunch?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Resdfru posted:

I'm gonna get gunfire reborn, do I need the DLC now or can I get them later after playing the main game a bunch?

Play it for a bit first and see if you like it then grab one or both of them later if you like the sound of them, there's a lot of content in the base game between unlocking all the characters and weapons and stuff and the DLC is just new characters and a handful of weapons.

Edit: Anyone know if they ever added cross platform between steam/xbox versions of that game? Last I checked the gamepass version was like an older, shittier build of the game and there was no way to group up with people on gamepass from Steam.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Resdfru posted:

I think you can wait, they add new classes and weapons, but no new bosses or levels or whatever. They've kept adding stuff like that, it's just not tied to the DLC.

Better to try it out and see if you like it before putting down money on extra content.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
thanks y'all. I've been playing it on gamepass but then I read somewhere that it was an old version or something so I decided to get it on steam. I've been enjoying it but I think I'll wait anyway because I'm sure the base game has enough to keep me entertained for a while.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Anyone have any idea what happened with Phantom Brigade? Recent Reviews are Mostly Negative and some mention the devs being fired or the studio has been liquidated?

I know the backstory - they took the EGS deal, released on Steam a year later, mid-to-decent reviews, but I'm not sure what happened since then. Supposedly they were going to release more updates but that's all dead in the water now?

So like, what, the EGS money ran out but sales there were a predictable joke and Steam sales were not great and that's all she wrote?

e.: Ohhhh, yeah, Studio has downsized by 50%, ooft...

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 9, 2023

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I am seeing the news of the half the company layoff but nothing about Phantom Brigade not being supported anymore.

They say development will continue for "other games, including Crypt of the NecroDancer: Synchrony, Rift of the NecroDancer, and Phantom Brigade" but to what extent of course still remains to be seen

Pity because we need more cool mech games.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Anyone know if Monster Train has cross-save/progression on steam and iOS? It’s hard to find a straight answer. My guess is no, but it would be cool if it was yes.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Starting playing the Final Fantasyb7 remake. I like it so far, especially all the new ways to stretch out Midgar. I'm still not really a fan of the material system though. It's the shards themselves that are Leveling up and not the characters I always felt. But I do love the other ways they added to building the characters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
phantom brigade was a neat proof of concept but that's about it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

phantom brigade was a neat proof of concept but that's about it.
Yeah, I wanted to like it, but the fact is, it would have been better as just a turn based strategy rather than the weird timeline.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

Starting playing the Final Fantasyb7 remake. I like it so far, especially all the new ways to stretch out Midgar. I'm still not really a fan of the material system though. It's the shards themselves that are Leveling up and not the characters I always felt. But I do love the other ways they added to building the characters.

What do you mean? Materia still level up with AP and not character experience.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
phantom brigade hosed up by not having replayable .giffable momments of your mans shooting. would have been all it took to double their sales.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
is this new? it's an alternative to downloading over the internet. pretty cool either way.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

is this new? it's an alternative to downloading over the internet. pretty cool either way.

It's about six months old.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question about System Shock: How central is 'Bashing things heads in with the wrench' to the game? Because quite frankly that was the worst part of the demo for me; There is like no feedback on using the wrench at all and can barely tell when things are being hit.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Unlucky7 posted:

Question about System Shock: How central is 'Bashing things heads in with the wrench' to the game? Because quite frankly that was the worst part of the demo for me; There is like no feedback on using the wrench at all and can barely tell when things are being hit.

not at all, you get a pistol and laser very quickly (both fun and effective) and a much better melee weapon shortly after that. but mainly I've been shooting stuff.

one trick is to lower cyberspace difficulty at the outset, it can be a bit annoying.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Megasabin posted:

Anyone know if Monster Train has cross-save/progression on steam and iOS? It’s hard to find a straight answer. My guess is no, but it would be cool if it was yes.

No, unfortunately not

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Impermanent posted:

phantom brigade hosed up by not having replayable .giffable momments of your mans shooting. would have been all it took to double their sales.

their engine was fundamentally incapable of doing so. likewise, it was incapable of tracking missiles on the timeline. those are pretty major flaws!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

their engine was fundamentally incapable of doing so. likewise, it was incapable of tracking missiles on the timeline. those are pretty major flaws!

yeah it is really something else. They are not really the kind of flaws that would seem reasonable to have in your game engine.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

..how?! Like, it's a timeline game, I thought dragging the mouse cursor along a scrollbar to make things zip backwards and forwards comically would be like the very first thing implemented, even if not player-facing. Fuckin' even lovely WH40k spinoff games track their torpedoes.

edit:
When I first saw Phantom Brigade I was like "FINALLY A MECH GAME, it's been too drat long since Armoured Core was on the PC!", then I rewatched the trailer a few times and it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, but that's fine. Then it came out, and was using Unity 3d which runs at less than a frame per second over proton for me, so I couldn't even play the drat thing. I guess it saved me some money, that's some harsh feedback. There is now an AC game in the pipeline and Fromsoft has been doing no wrong lately, so I guess I'll just wait for that one then.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 10, 2023

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

explosivo posted:

I bought Battlebit Remastered and I feel like I've been tricked, I think it kinda feels like poo poo to play and can't stand the Duplo Blox look to everything. Reminds me of that Unturned zombie game I played forever ago. I did only put 30 minutes into it before going to play more Arcade Paradise on gamepass so I might put more time into it but also contemplating a refund.
If you don't jibe with it that's ok, coming from a long time battlefield player it feels very much like BF2 and Project Reality while having the destruction of BF3 and BF4 (and beyond), which is something I've always wanted in a Battlefield game but we've never gotten and will never get from EA/DICE. It either clicks with you or it doesn't, but this is definitely the best time we've had with full goon squads in a long time. If it ends up being the indie darling of the summer and then dies that's fine, it was only $15 and I already got my money's worth.

explosivo posted:

I think BF2042 is good and worth playing now so Battlebit just feels like a downgrade. Maybe I wouldn't feel this way if it didn't look like roblox modern warfare but it does and I do. I keep reading people say it's the best battlefield game since X but it feels more like they're towing a line between battlefield and something like red orchestra with the low ttk that makes it feel like a different beast. I don't really get the sense that they're going for an ARMA type thing where movement is deliberately slow but again I've only played a little bit of it so maybe I'm incorrect. It seems very well done and clearly comes from a fan of games like that but I think I'm going to wait until it's out of early access to revisit it.
2042 is indeed good now and its great for running and jumping and sliding around and shooting console players in the face but the teamwork factor is where Battlebit shines. The big advantage is that with Battlebit you have 8 person squads by default and that goes up to 12 players with clan squads, whereas 2042 is forever stuck on 4 player squads and 4 player parties, it's just not possible to get groups larger than that into a game. And the destruction is also a group effort but it feels great when you pull it off, there have been multiple times with sniper squads holed up on top of a tower or in a lighthouse, and in 2042 there would be nothing we could do about that, whereas in Battlebit we just break out the C4 and ammo boxes and level the thing. And no parachutes means no survivors when you do so.

Also the movement speed is actually insanely fast once you figure out how to take off all your armor and start running around with an SMG, it's faster than 2042 by far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp7WBDh2168

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 10, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The other common complaint across the negative reviews for Phantom Brigade is that you see everything the game has to offer across maybe the first third of the campaign...and are then tasked with playing through the other two thirds which are boring and samey by comparison.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 10, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phantom Brigade runs worse for me than Cyberpunk did at launch.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Unlucky7 posted:

I think I defeated maybe 3 enemies this way over the course of a 30 hour play through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Phantom Brigade hosed up by removing the ability to mod in anime portraits for pilots before their steam release

judging by the Starsector modding community that's about half a game's appeal