Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Just posting to repeat the pattern of talking bout lifting every 4 posts

Gainzzzz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Guyver posted:

If you want to lift as much weight as you can you have to.

The weird squat lift work safety weirdos teach removes the use of your glutes and hamstrings from the lift placing all the work on your quads and adductors which are really strong but not in as a mechanically advantageous position. It also moves your body behind the center of mass further putting you at a disadvantage.

This thread is about workplace safety

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Runa posted:

This thread is about workoutplace safety

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rigged Death Trap posted:

There is a reason OSHA sets 51 pounds as best case maximum for a single person lifting a load.

Yeah it’s so that they can’t steal my motorcycle, which is chained to four hundred pounds of concrete.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sagebrush posted:

salt

https://i.imgur.com/qnnS6oG.mp4

it's insane to realize that all of the salt in the ocean comes from billions of sea creatures peeing

what

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

The point is that your spine is straight, even if the bar is slightly out of plane and you tilt your trunk forward to readh. The rides up your shins and quads if you're doing it right
Doesn't matter you are still using your back. You are using your erectors to remain ridged while your rear end uses your spine as a lever and your hips as a fulcrum.

Runa posted:

This thread is about workplace safety

What about people that work in a gym?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

unbreakable was pretty good, imo

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Where was that taco bell that went for a swim at?

https://www.wfmynews2.com/video/news/massive-sinkhole-at-wilkes-county-taco-bell/83-8211747

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/qGnibec.mp4

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

...what

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/PZTLP1q.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://v.redd.it/p7moz37gkyab1/DASH_720.mp4

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

What the gently caress? How does this bridge work?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Steel cables are very strong in tension.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's basically a suspension bridge, but instead of the cable being above the road and having vertical ties connecting it to the (flat) road deck, the road just follows the natural curve of the cable.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Unperson_47 posted:

What the gently caress? How does this bridge work?

It’s this but really big.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 10, 2023

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

:catstare:

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Arivia posted:

where do you live, upper raiden?

Close enough, AZ. The land was originally a Sundown Ranch that was carved up into multiple housing developments and is just down the street from an Islamic cultural center. Given the state history it's still not a great look for a community that was flagged as a sundown town.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Facebook loves to shove reels like this at me. People giving themselves future lung cancer to save $1 buying a correct fitting today, or welding a bunch of screws together to make a really lovely disposable hole saw, or otherwise pointless "shop hacks" that seem clever until you realize the thing they're duplicating just exists on the shelf already

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Platystemon posted:

It’s this but really big.

"Hang on lady, we going for a ride!"

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/WRbTfru.mp4

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Guyver posted:

The weird squat lift work safety weirdos teach removes the use of your glutes and hamstrings from the lift placing all the work on your quads and adductors which are really strong but not in as a mechanically advantageous position. It also moves your body behind the center of mass further putting you at a disadvantage.

Related question- how many days are in a week?

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

GD_American posted:

Related question- how many days are in a week?
I got that reference.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Guyver posted:

This is so wrong on so many levels. But for one, the fact that it’s easier to lift more weight in a trap bar deadlift is pretty strong proof that having the weight in line with your back (rather than in front of it) provides the most mechanical advantage.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Sagebrush posted:

salt

it's insane to realize that all of the salt in the ocean comes from billions of sea creatures peeing

The ocean works by homeopathic rules, so it's fine to drink

e:

Actually it is

vvvvvvvvvvv

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 10, 2023

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sagebrush posted:

The ocean is where fish piss and poo poo but ocean salinity isn't biological in origin

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Sagebrush posted:

salt

Oh look, it's the manifestation of me thinking about 99% of software and hardware interfaces.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Javid posted:

Facebook loves to shove reels like this at me. People giving themselves future lung cancer to save $1 buying a correct fitting today, or welding a bunch of screws together to make a really lovely disposable hole saw, or otherwise pointless "shop hacks" that seem clever until you realize the thing they're duplicating just exists on the shelf already

They're designed to be bad and poor quality so people hate watch them to go "lol i could do better than this!! What a load of poo poo!!"

There is occasionally some good ideas implemented badly in them, though, or where tools for the job already exist.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I thought the OSHA part was operating heavy machinery while destabilizing the very ground it is standing on

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I thought the OSHA part was operating heavy machinery while destabilizing the very ground it is standing on

What? He's not even close to undercutting himself.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

salt

isn't sand fish poo poo?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Non Compos Mentis posted:

isn't sand fish poo poo?

Jesus Christ, Marie!

They’re minerals.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i swear i saw a tv show that said parrotfish poo poo out sand

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That would take a lot of parrotfish

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

i swear i saw a tv show that said parrotfish poo poo out sand

They do, they bite off chunks of coral and grind it to sand to get all the squishy meat bits out of it. Then it comes out as poop.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
so some sand is fish poop

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

isn't sand fish poo poo?

When you hear about how everywhere used to be an ocean, it's because it took a long time for the fish to poo poo out enough sand to form the continents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

so some sand is fish poop

'White sandy beaches' is the giveaway that the sand came from coral, wither broken by waves or chewed and pooped.