Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

indigi posted:

wait the game lets you date a bear? why

It lets you date someone who can turn into a bear, for the purposes of combat and, apparently, loving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Was there really no better answer to "what moral or theme are we supposed to take from your story?" than "have fun"?

Like, it doesn't have to remark on capitalism, jokes aside, but "it's about overcoming obstacles in life" is something I think could pass muster even if you were describing something as smoothed-down as a Disney live action remake.

maybe the game is about your character learning how to relax

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
when gamers say "political" they mean women, brown, or gay people in their vidya game
entire time dev kept saying "we made it so you can have any combination of character traits and npcs will sometimes even respond to your character creation choices inside the actual game where appropriate"

game journalist: "but does it have politics"

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Was there really no better answer to "what moral or theme are we supposed to take from your story?" than "have fun"?

Like, it doesn't have to remark on capitalism, jokes aside, but "it's about overcoming obstacles in life" is something I think could pass muster even if you were describing something as smoothed-down as a Disney live action remake.

I completely agree their answer was insipid, I’m just saying that anything that wasn’t totally vacuous and apolitical would have created a firestorm of idiot gamer rage they were probably shrewdly avoiding. I hope the writing is better than that answer implies at least

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

indigi posted:

wait can you date a bear or just gently caress a bear. this is a n important question

you date the man and he shapeshifts into a bear and you gently caress the bear

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

it’d be pretty cool if they said it was about the dialectics of feudal governance and the suffering of the peasant class but with magic or something though

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Bg3 is in the top 5 selling things on steam right now, I guess sex [with a bear] really does sell

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!

Frog Act posted:

it’d be pretty cool if they said it was about the dialectics of feudal governance and the suffering of the peasant class but with magic or something though

that would be lying

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Frog Act posted:

Pentiment came out a few months ago

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lpzie posted:

the name ClaymoreSPAM is taken
and the tag cspam is taken

sigh~~~

just make lljk

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also lol at the badass misogynist tweeter censoring the word “bitch”

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Mr. Lobe posted:

Pentiment came out a few months ago

haven't beaten it yet but i still have not hosed a bear

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

also lol at the badass misogynist tweeter censoring the word “bitch”

hell yeah that dumb c*nt

not really tho

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Augus posted:

you date the man and he shapeshifts into a bear and you gently caress the bear

Best of both worlds imo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
as with every twitter feud,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SDYd2e9pT4

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

this clip owns but the set up is extremely problematic

rip norm

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
"what message should we take away from this" asks the woman in the tiefling horns, licking her lips as she upgrades to the $300 deluxe edition on her phone

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah p much

it was a dumb question answered dumbly. Question-asker comes off as ravenous for Baldur's Gate 3 to announce its position in the Culture War, but the core of her question was just "what are this game's themes" and the dev probably should have known enough to just rattle off a theme or two, it's not hard, if you're put on the spot at a convention and are panicking you could even pretty easily spin Mario 1 as being "about" going to any lengths to protect those important to you or whatever. And the twitter OP comes off as a "bro" in the pejorative sense by which I mean he called a lady he doesn't know a bitch for no good reason (not that he supports single-payer healthcare although maybe he does I dunno)

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

despite apparently being about an in-person panel, this is too online for me to give a poo poo about

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cuttlefush posted:

wasn't it still pretty small pre-SOE pay wall? like sub-1k? i played a shitload of CTF and Skirmish too and didnt really delve into any of the other temporaryish modes until I'd been playing a while.

I guess it kinda got revived? https://www.freeinfantry.com/

wonder if anyone's playing

my memory is hazy but i seem to recall at least 1 to 10 zones filled with 30-100 players per each type of map (around a dozen?). some even a lot more like twin peaks iirc had like 30 zones filled frequently. i guess around 5k-7k concurrent players at any given point in the day? i didn't play when it went play2pay bc i was too young to have a credit card, but i heard it was like less than 10% of the userbase left when it happened

anyways thats cool someone revived it, but, personally, I find revisiting these games just depressing because it's like a wasteland of no players except maybe a 30-to-50 something handful of die hard fanatics. even something like replaying Bad Company 2 just makes me sad now that it's so far that it's not even a whimper of a shadow of it's former self. most of the fun of MP games was having a solid rotating playerbase instead of just playing against jimbo1969 over and over with tons of wacky hijinx to make people get mad over

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Grey Fox posted:

the vibe in SF6 is absolutely mesmerizing; I actually have to force myself to take breaks or else I'm gonna tear up my thumb and I can't play at all

Tbh I can't play for more than 2 hours at a time without my execution suffering because there's an insane amount of variables to process second-to-second. I'm waffling between high gold and low plat in ranked and it's so drat fun. Rounds are usually 30 seconds or less and I usually don't wait more than that long between opponents.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i support AI development so i can get full games of Day Of Defeat 1 / natural selection / infantry / ut2k4 / bc2 / ET / ragnarok online again complete with a realistic slurs and nasally voice frequency AI

either that or win the lotto and pay a bunch of people to play it again

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i asked the google robot what bear dicks look like. they are not well hung as it turns out. further research led to an article about two gay bears (not people bears) who would suck each other's dicks all day long.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Xaris posted:

my memory is hazy but i seem to recall at least 1 to 10 zones filled with 30-100 players per each type of map (around a dozen?). some even a lot more like twin peaks iirc had like 30 zones filled frequently. i guess around 5k-7k concurrent players at any given point in the day? i didn't play when it went play2pay bc i was too young to have a credit card, but i heard it was like less than 10% of the userbase left when it happened

anyways thats cool someone revived it, but, personally, I find revisiting these games just depressing because it's like a wasteland of no players except maybe a 30-to-50 something handful of die hard fanatics. even something like replaying Bad Company 2 just makes me sad now that it's so far that it's not even a whimper of a shadow of it's former self. most of the fun of MP games was having a solid rotating playerbase instead of just playing against jimbo1969 over and over with tons of wacky hijinx to make people get mad over

played a skirmish with the 7 other people playing infantry today in 2023. they said tuesday is ctf day so i'll check it out again then

got a few kills though. weirdly remembered how to move and dodge poo poo. like riding a fuckin bike

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation

uber_stoat posted:

i asked the google robot what bear dicks look like. they are not well hung as it turns out. further research led to an article about two gay bears (not people bears) who would suck each other's dicks all day long.

can't sleep all winter I suppose

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation

Mr Hootington posted:

Everyone is still going to buy the game

i preordered it for everyone in this thread

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Cuttlefush posted:

played a skirmish with the 7 other people playing infantry today in 2023. they said tuesday is ctf day so i'll check it out again then

got a few kills though. weirdly remembered how to move and dodge poo poo. like riding a fuckin bike
nice. yeah <20 is too low for anything besides like a 15-minute novelty of nostalgia

i think learning to strafe stutter step is an important skill that never goes away. i'm always stutter-stepping even in games i don't need to.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i preordered it for everyone in this thread

drat thanks

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

Bg3 is in the top 5 selling things on steam right now, I guess sex [with a bear] really does sell

ngl, it does at least make me more curious about what kind of game it's going to be, though not exactly in a way that makes me more likely to buy it

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Buck Wildman posted:

can't sleep all winter I suppose

Yup!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

But are they just small proportionally? Since a bear is much larger than a human, it might have a proportionally smaller dick while still being big for a human.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

a little birdy told me that the story of BG3 is just an allegory of Iran–Contra

ngl if someone could do iran-contra but all DnD fantasy n poo poo would be fuckin dope

Popy has issued a correction as of 01:17 on Jul 10, 2023

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

tbh i just think the writer on BG3 just didnt want to give anything away on the plot.

if someone asked me what the morals or themes of my writings before they even consume it, i would tell them to loving read it first figure poo poo out use your dumb brain.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Popy posted:

a little birdy told me that the story of BG3 is just an allegory of Iran–Contra

ngl if someone could do iran-contra but all DnD fantasy n poo poo would be fuckin dope

they did its called dos2

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Popy posted:

tbh i just think the writer on BG3 just didnt want to give anything away on the plot.

if someone asked me what the morals or themes of my writings before they even consume it, i would tell them to loving read it first figure poo poo out use your dumb brain.

Even a paperback airport thriller has a blurb at the back

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation

gradenko_2000 posted:

Even a paperback airport thriller has a blurb at the back

"you gots brain worms, murder yer problem away. also ya gently caress a bear ya weirdo"

Brilliant Political Thriller - NY Times

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation

Cuttlefush posted:

they did its called dos2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys