Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Pogonodon posted:

Cartoons WERE better when I was a kid.
Because I was too stupid to know better, and was easily entertained by literally any garbage :smuggo:

The agony of going back and going wow yeah this sucks rear end means I'm never going to revisit a few of my favorites. They can stay as hazy golden memories for me :kiddo:

Kid's right about The Last Airbender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

mycot posted:

I did a rewatch of Samurai Jack in the lead up to Season 5 and was pleased to see that it was still badass. Unfortunately, then season 5 happened :smith:

I am still so frustrated by this. S5S2 was one of the most brilliant episodes of TV I've seen and then we got into literal hentai gags.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

If nothing else, Samurai Jack season 5 at least gave us the Samurai Jack Season 5 trailer

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
lmao. This is perfection thank you.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I pity my child self because he liked Johnny Test. Seriously what the gently caress was I on

Didn't Craig McCracken say something to the effect of "Make the shows you remember watching when you were young, not what they actually were" or something to that effect?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'd like to think Ed, Edd, and Eddy is still funny to this day.
There are things that can age well, or be classics, while others get safely put in the "that sure was a thing" box and fade away.

Cheers oddly aged better than Friends, for example. There was an episode making fun of the idiocy of gay panic itself, and it wasn't Friends.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Assepoester posted:

Kid's right about The Last Airbender

Yeah lol they picked a loving godawful choice for the "thing kid currently thinks is awesome that will turn out to actually be objectively not awesome later in life". I watched Last Airbender for the first time in my early 20s and it loving slapped then and it still slaps now.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Avatar had a better ending than most shonen anime there I said it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mycot posted:

Avatar had a better ending than most shonen anime there I said it.
Yeah it's probably accurate to say it has a better ending than animes that typically stop in a random place with no actual conclusion because they're adapting a comic book that has been running for 10 years and won't be finished for another 10

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Pretend I said manga then because the statement is still true. :colbert:

mystes
May 31, 2006

in that case it's trivially true because the mangas just don't loving end

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah lol they picked a loving godawful choice for the "thing kid currently thinks is awesome that will turn out to actually be objectively not awesome later in life". I watched Last Airbender for the first time in my early 20s and it loving slapped then and it still slaps now.
Keep in mind this comic is from 2010 so it's referencing the live action movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The worst thing about taking inspiration from anime is that it invites a certain set of jerks who use the inspiration to poo poo on a show for not being as good as anime. I really need to not look at Twitter when I see people saying that Supes or Last Airbender look like lovely dollar bin battle shounen shows.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Arc Hammer posted:

The worst thing about taking inspiration from anime is that it invites a certain set of jerks who use the inspiration to poo poo on a show for not being as good as anime. I really need to not look at Twitter when I see people saying that Supes or Last Airbender look like lovely dollar bin battle shounen shows.

Yeah I was posting in jest but this is what I was really getting at. Something like ATLA really does do certain things better than its inspirations. Trying to track the character arc of, like, Sasuke is a loving mess compared to Zuko.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mycot posted:

Yeah I was posting in jest but this is what I was really getting at. Something like ATLA really does do certain things better than its inspirations. Trying to track the character arc of, like, Sasuke is a loving mess compared to Zuko.
I think a lot of manga really has a similar issue to series of books where there's often only one book's worth of good content but by being stretched out it becomes repetitive and the story has to be effectively reset multiple times, so the overall story arc is ruined and something that could have been fantastic as a single book with a real conclusion ends up being completely mediocre or actively bad by the end. IMO it's basically impossible to tell a meaningful story once it gets dragged out too long.

ATLA is great because it just tells a complete, coherent story and then stops, which you wouldn't think would be a high bar but maybe it is

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 10, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I dunno if you guys have kept up to date with anime/manga lately, but the trend has been to actually let the artists end their series when it makes sense to, even when they're mega-hits. Anime have also switched over to allowing space between cours to allow the material to build up backlog and to improve production.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In theory. In practice the sheer demand for production means that shows are lucky if they get another season in reasonable time. That space between cours can stretch into years as other gigs get animated.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Assepoester posted:

Keep in mind this comic is from 2010 so it's referencing the live action movie.

Ah, that explains it then :v:

Fatman6942!
Jul 3, 2023

by vyelkin
regarding slade

Keep in mind I might be wrong and misremembering poo poo.

When the early 2000s teen titans cartoon spooled up there was a slight issure

Slade was also known as the terminator but because of the terminator movie they the comics people shifted his name.

I ve also been thinking about She Ra princess of power and its been years since I ve binged it but what stands out is the

Adora, Shadow weaver, Catra triangle of making GBS threads relationships and mother issues.

Along with the Entrapta, Hordack, and Hordack Prime relationships

And that one shapeshifter dude whose VA just loving ooozed theater kid.

all the other stuff in the show sadly just seems like back ground noise compared to the pathos of that stuff.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/mcnostrilcom/status/1678210298862247936?t=7wv_ZOC3oeyfqmQ4qiyjXA&s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's probably the most comics accurate depictions of Lois and Jimmy in half a century.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Reposting a fan art I did a while back, same sentiment:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh by the way on the whole moral message thingy I found this:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

mycot posted:

Kids cartoon chat is just especially terrible because on top of all the spicy takes you also have "cartoons were better when I was a kid" going on at all times.

I think cartoons went through a bit of a peak like 5 years or so ago when all the projects that had gotten started in the wake of Adventure Time were running their course, but at this point, most of those have dried up, with not all that much to replace them, between streaming services getting cold feet, Warner Brothers having a bit of arson, and seemingly most of the upcoming crop of shows favoring less grand overarching plots.

Although I also think these things go in waves, so there's times when just a lot of great stuff is coming out, and times when things have hit slumps or shows have ended without something filling the void yet. It's kind of hard to crunch the numbers since I don't really know the dates when shows came out, and the fact that there's so much you can watch when it's not new blurs things.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think it's ironically the stupid Execs being shuffled around that leads to the bounties. Stuff like Flapjack and Chowder were around at the tail end of CN being just stupid for live action poo poo.

So you get one or two projects that land, which gives the folks working on them a little leeway to pitch their own stuff, which leads to genuine hits that run For A While.

Then they stop fostering new growth because poo poo Princess Bazooka didn't make it big like AT why are we spending So Much Money on this poo poo and they retreat into the safety of established shows and it all goes to poo poo again.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rhonne posted:

What year does this show take place in? I noticed in the beginning that when kid Clark saved that mother and child, there was a smartphone in the van, and in present day, Lois had a hologram projector or something when she was talking to the chief.

I mean Clark is just out of college so he's what, 21, 22? So that scene with him saving the woman in the van would have been like in 2011. I had a smartphone in 2011. And with the holograms this is cape cartoons there's always goofy supertech.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Kinda like Zim, we were told "near future in another universe."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Metropolis is literally nicknamed "The City of Tomorrow" in comics so vague near future works well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/lberzins_voices/status/1677034622905987073?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Getting major Scorpia vibes from this take on Heat Wave.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Interesting as to my knowledge Heat Wave is primarily a Flash villain, I guess this means the show basically has carte blanche to pull from anything in the DC universe

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I'm gonna guess the girl she's with in the picture is gonna be Captain Cold as well then?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm gonna guess the girl she's with in the picture is gonna be Captain Cold as well then?

The other girl is Livewire from the previous episode

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 13, 2023

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

nine-gear crow posted:

Nah, she's already Livewire

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The first episode of MAWS I worked on premiered last night! :toot:

Here's the first BG I did for the show, spoilered since it's still early. I'm just excited.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Das Boo posted:

The first episode of MAWS I worked on premiered last night! :toot:

Here's the first BG I did for the show, spoilered since it's still early. I'm just excited.

I just watched it and I really liked it! How much of the bank heist art did you work on? any of the interior shots? I thought it was a really cool use of a small space to show off the action.

Lois is such a gremlin in this show she's great. And I thought I recognized Cat Taber's voice.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Arc Hammer posted:

I just watched it and I really liked it! How much of the bank heist art did you work on? any of the interior shots? I thought it was a really cool use of a small space to show off the action.

Lois is such a gremlin in this show she's great. And I thought I recognized Cat Taber's voice.

More BGs:

Fair bit of it!:

Back when we were on Zim, Jake was talking to me about how to approach Lois. I'm not about to pretend it was my idea, but it was my opinion that Lois shouldn't be no-nonsense and then get herself into predicaments where she has to be rescued all the time; that would make her look like an incompetent blowhard. I really like that he made her a chaotic good to Clark's lawful good. The focus is on her and Clark right now, but Jimmy will be coming into his own a little down the line.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Das Boo posted:

More BGs:

Fair bit of it!:

Back when we were on Zim, Jake was talking to me about how to approach Lois. I'm not about to pretend it was my idea, but it was my opinion that Lois shouldn't be no-nonsense and then get herself into predicaments where she has to be rescued all the time; that would make her look like an incompetent blowhard. I really like that he made her a chaotic good to Clark's lawful good. The focus is on her and Clark right now, but Jimmy will be coming into his own a little down the line.

And I assume that’s the reason the show is called My Adventures With Superman (it’s not just Clark’s story)

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

I like the show mostly, but I hope they end the storyline soon where Lois and Jimmy don't recognize Superman. It's always been weird to me that the people close to Clark wouldn't clock Superman once they met him up close. Jimmy lives with the guy and Lois has basically hugged both Clark and Superman! It really undercuts the idea that Lois Lane is a good reporter for me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'll always love the joke about the time traveller in the live action Dean Cain show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoTgskfvw2I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
One of the reasons most people don’t link Clark and Superman in many versions is because most people don’t know Superman has a secret identity. He tends to straight out tell people his background minus the Clark stuff.