Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

symbolic posted:

i don't think the premise needs to be original or break any new insightful ground, it's just exploring/will be exploring themes i like seeing in sci-fi stuff through the lens of medical practice which i find neat, atop of the world being mostly antithetical to, say, the Edgerunners world in that very little is sleek, chrome, and different compared to today's current world which i usually don't expect from this sorta stuff

I think my biggest issue is that it seems like the show has already decided on the right answer to the questions it has brought up. I think the show wants to make it pretty clear a backup is not the same person. Works like SOMA and Ghost in the shell have more ambiguity, and there isn't a definitive correct answer. They let the player/viewer decide on their own what is the right answer.

To be fair, there has only been one episode, so maybe it will change later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Gene of AI's first episode had also somewhat flat direction and very clunky exposition. I like the idea of underground doctor as an excuse to show morale dilemmas in a scifi setting with AI, although for now the execution is mediocre and the concept unoriginal. Yeah, the whole point of doing a backup is to restore it later but... obviously when you restore something, or "someone", that original someone will subjectively feel as the self ceasing to exist, even if for outsiders feel the restore was perfect.

It's still not very clear what's wrong with making copies of someone, how that can be used for crimes, I mean. I guess they can edit them when they restore them to change their personalities at will?
But I'm not sure how that is that much different of making a new humanoid robot from zero where you program whatever you want, you know.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
greetings anyone on the fence about watching Zom 100, please view this 15 second video that is hopefully not 400gb

https://i.imgur.com/LmUmolh.mp4

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

so very happy that zom 100 as of ep 1 is getting a good treatment, that manga rocks (as far as I've read it)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

OK its really cool how they slowly blend the brighter colours into Zom 100 as the episode goes on.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

another super cub moment

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Sleng Teng posted:

so very happy that zom 100 as of ep 1 is getting a good treatment, that manga rocks (as far as I've read it)

well i'm glad to hear that the manga is also good, nice to know there's more than just insane spectacle to look forward to.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Koguma stans eating good

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Not interested in zombies

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Tales of Woe posted:

another super cub moment

i'm glad we live in an age where all modern anime pays homage to super cub

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Not interested in you.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

:(

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Big Leg posted:

i'm glad we live in an age where all modern anime pays homage to super cub

i too enjoy honda products

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

SyntheticPolygon posted:

same

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Southern Cassowary posted:

i too enjoy honda products

I should buy one.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
With so different youkais to pick in Japan, zombies are bottom tier

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’m sad the new manga of the “hitori bocchi’s ____ life” author is zombie-based, I like them a lot as a mangaka but zombies just don’t do it for me

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Turin Turambar posted:

The Gene of AI's first episode had also somewhat flat direction and very clunky exposition. I like the idea of underground doctor as an excuse to show morale dilemmas in a scifi setting with AI, although for now the execution is mediocre and the concept unoriginal. Yeah, the whole point of doing a backup is to restore it later but... obviously when you restore something, or "someone", that original someone will subjectively feel as the self ceasing to exist, even if for outsiders feel the restore was perfect.

It's still not very clear what's wrong with making copies of someone, how that can be used for crimes, I mean. I guess they can edit them when they restore them to change their personalities at will?
But I'm not sure how that is that much different of making a new humanoid robot from zero where you program whatever you want, you know.

Secrets, it's all about secrets and identity theft. If you're a robot and a copy of you knows all your passwords and bank account information, they can be coerced into disclosing that information. There's also more mundane secrets or industrial secrets you could learn from a copy.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

dark gathering: this is like a horror-comedy where a guy who has minor ghost seeing powers gets roped into tutoring his friend's little cousin who has major ghost seeing powers. they're setting up a monster of the week thing. it kind of looks and feels kind of 2006 in a way that's a little fun but it's not good enough for me to be interested in continuing.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 10, 2023

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tales of Woe posted:

zom100 isnt delayed, it had an early screening at anime expo and MAL always sets those as the show start date for some reason. same reason why it says dungeon meshi is already airing.

It's because that lets early watchers add the show to their list as watching, so they move the date back to the regular one once it passes. A bandaid solution to a hurdle created by their own system.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Doodles posted:

Unlike My Unique Skill Makes Me OP even at Level 1, which I somehow powered through the first episode without becoming catatonic. Going back to backups again, this thing is a fifth generation copy of a sample isekai script that was burned onto low-grade CD-ROMs and now contains absolutely nothing of any unique identity. The manga is slightly better, but that's like saying a kick in the nads is slightly better than getting a tear in your rear end in a top hat.

Not sure what else you were expecting, with a title like that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Doodles posted:

My Unique Skill Makes Me OP even at Level 1,..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39k0mmjlo0M

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
drat, even i was getting exhausted during the first half of zom 100

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Silver2195 posted:

Not sure what else you were expecting, with a title like that.

As I've said before, I sometimes get lucky with these things. But I didn't think it'd be worse than the Vending Machine show. That much was a surprise.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

GateOfD posted:

drat, even i was getting exhausted during the first half of zom 100

The first half can be a bit hard to watch if you've ever dealt with work-related stress or burnout. It's obviously exaggerated for comedic effect, but its depiction of the all-consuming, soul-crushing depression that can result from overwork honestly hit harder than most.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Caphi posted:

Gene of AI reminded me of the short story Lena, which is a really well done piece in its own right. Basically every sentence has the implication of a horrific future history and how a horrific future society looks at that history crammed into it, baby-shoes-never-worn style.

The anime was fun too. Maybe my bar for anime robot personhood and/or racism is low but I thought it was incredibly classy, especially the ambiguity of the outcome.

I just want to point out that anyone who wants to think a bit about the implications of a backup brain might want to check out the link in the above quoted post. Not the same universe but it’s one way of hitting the relevant beats and considerations. And it’s very well written.

tldr: what would a future look like if you could turn a brain backup into a perfect research subject to explore the limits of human cognition or for an industrialized information process like a knowledge worker?

kind of reminds me of that 2009 sci-fi movie Moon, or the real-world immortality of Henrietta Lacks, but with brains

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

although one big change between the world of the Lena short story and the world of Gene is that brain backup and restore can happen within a humanoid (Gene) and not some sort of virtualized brain (Lena)

so the implications can be far more insidious in Gene if a malicious corporation decides to exploit a backup

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Classroom for Heroes looks like a better adaptation than I expected, might see if it keeps up. Shame that Earnest has her hair down now to show character growth, her initial hairstyle was better.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think my biggest issue is that it seems like the show has already decided on the right answer to the questions it has brought up. I think the show wants to make it pretty clear a backup is not the same person. Works like SOMA and Ghost in the shell have more ambiguity, and there isn't a definitive correct answer. They let the player/viewer decide on their own what is the right answer.

To be fair, there has only been one episode, so maybe it will change later.

no, the episode makes it clear that the "answer" is dependent on the person, which is why its hosed. to you, someone rewinding back a week is the same person, but to them its suicide. and its hard to communicate that to your loved ones. copies are only ever "the same person" to people who aren't the original or the copy. SOMA is similarly not ambiguous about this imo

the episode was a fun sci fi story. not sure where it goes from the first ep but i might watch more

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

e: wait this isnt the chat thread

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Every thread is the chat thread if you're brave enough

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Caphi posted:

Gene of AI reminded me of the short story Lena, which is a really well done piece in its own right.

that was a great read

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

marumaru posted:

that was a great read

The follow up in the book makes it even more bleak.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

sb hermit posted:

I just want to point out that anyone who wants to think a bit about the implications of a backup brain might want to check out the link in the above quoted post. Not the same universe but it’s one way of hitting the relevant beats and considerations. And it’s very well written.

Its a good read for sure.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
yep, still enjoying the jokes and gags in Lv1 Maou, One Room Yuusha
also, good Mushoku Tensei episode.

Dark Gathering is pretty wild. Has a bunch of character quirk. Then suddenly throws a scary creepy twist in the middle of it all. Reminds me a bit of the other supernatural show with the girl that has spirit sight eyes.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 10, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

synduality noir: mech show focusing on post-apocalyptic scavengers. looks nice but didn't really do anything for me otherwise.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Now that everything I was planning to check out has been released:

Gene of AI - It has a strong first episode with the conflict but I'm a bit concerned at how much else they can get out of the premise purely because that already seems like the best plot you can get out of this. The stinger at the end and the story about the crying man gave me some Ghost in the Shell vibes though, so I'm definitely hoping that I'm dead wrong to be cautious.

Reign of the Seven Spellblades - Like a lot of other people have said in the thread, it's not spectacular but it does have some promise to it. The fantasy world is actually interesting and imaginative instead of the usual generic poo poo and they've put some effort into the characters which is important in this kind of story. Speaking of the story, I got a huge Talentless Nana vibe from the main character at the end. If it turns out that he's secretly trying to destroy the school from the inside the story suddenly gets a lot more interesting.

Zom 100 - Yep, it's good. Pretty much everyone saw it coming. The animation is smooth, the story has a good hook and the direction is very well done. I'm interested to see where the story will go after the first episode.

The Most Heretical Last Boss Queen - Pretty okay. There was some obvious effort put into this and I really appreciate that they tried to make the story more dramatic by making the villainess character genuinely evil and not shying away from showing it. However, it does commit the sin of starting the reincarnation before any of the bad poo poo happens so the main character can just solve everything by being nice instead and fix everything with her future knowledge. The villainess scenes are just from the game. Which is much less interesting than having the main character actually have something to be guilty about and have to reverse or her actually acting like a villainess which is something the whole genre seems to have missed is part of the appeal. If you're a fan of the genre and of reverse harems this will likely be good but I got bored of Bakarina and could easily see myself dropping this.

Undead Murder Farce - I found out after watching the episode that it's made by the same director as Kaguya-Sama, which definitely explains it. Absolute best first episode of the season hands down. The plot and worldbuilding is great, the animation is on point and the characters all seem really fun. Really excited for more.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 10, 2023

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I thought the zom 100 premiere was really good outside of the scene where the explain the visual metaphor the first half of the ep was building up

dawg, have some confidence, you were doing great

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lamo the reason Yohane did a big sentai episode is cause Dia's Seiyuu was in Go Busters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i had no idea there was a new Akuma-kun adaptation coming in November and Junichi Sato is helming it. it looks cool

and Hiroshi Ōnogi of the v good 2018 gegege no kitaro adaptation is series compositor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0__eiV32T8

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 11, 2023