Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 16: Hell on Wheels Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Panel 4 is a reference to a cover of Der Spiegel from 1992. Quite why I have remembered it for 31 years, I do not know. It was in our school library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The_Other posted:

Steeple 16: Hell on Wheels Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

I had to know.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Muffins are probably really good stakeout food for real.

Definitely better than pistachios https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyGZAg3lo9A&t=21s

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Bogor

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

An Enchanting Evening Of Race-Faking Under The Sea

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ignoring for the moment how loving weird this whole thing is, I just want to say I thought she was a clown at first glance.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hostile V posted:

An Enchanting Evening Of Race-Faking Under The Sea

Just a bunch of teens at their school prom taking a bunch of mind-altering substances and losing all sense of self. Wholesome stuff.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

The punchline is the comic's title.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for July 7, 1927! Our cover this week (and a piece of the inside matter) is from John Held Jr.

Russell Patterson:

J. Norman Lynd:

Enrique Riverón:

Ellison Hoover takes you to a Florida school board meeting:

Johnny Gruelle:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Green Intern posted:

Just a bunch of teens at their school prom taking a bunch of mind-altering substances and losing all sense of self. Wholesome stuff.
They're gonna grow up and end up in positions of government and then have to explain all of the high school and college photos of them basically doing blackface for prom.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

ANSU

That's the end of this book of ANSU! I have one book left, but scanning these is so work-intensive that I'll take a break before continuing to the last one.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Muffins are probably really good stakeout food for real.

Mary's stakeout muffins are probably laced with cocaine to keep her awake.

that's right, she eats cocaine

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

EasyEW posted:

Johnny Gruelle:

I might not understand this comic but I appreciated "John Alden's Baked Bean Eating Place".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

davidspackage posted:

the traditional way

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 06, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

davidspackage posted:

I put that poo poo on everything.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(May 13, 1917) timged for a single panel

Little Nemo(October 7, 1906)

A good moon in this one.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

EasyEW posted:

Ellison Hoover takes you to a Florida school board meeting:

I would wish to know more of the context of this strip.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

EasyEW posted:

It's A Sketchy Life for July 7, 1927! Our cover this week (and a piece of the inside matter) is from John Held Jr.

Love whatever's going on here (six fingers notwithstanding).

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

After School Ghost Stories

The end! No moral, other than perhaps “don’t let someone punch your doppelganger death specter.” (My reading is that punching the death specter caused some sympathetic-magic thing to happen to make Abeken get punched.)

My slightly more sinister read is that the doppleganger swapped places with Abeken, which is why he's evasive about his eye and uninterested in Inamori dating someone else.

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 02, 1958)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"Huh. Not my fuckin' problem!" - Val

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Poorly Drawn Lines did it better.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Bogor at least got it over with in 3 panels.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

Tremont and Boylston streets are in Boston, which was notorious back then for censorship, to the point where the phrase "banned in Boston" was used to describe anything salacious.

Locki

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/9/03

Brenda Starr 4/29/51

Smokey Stover 9/11/55

Everyday Movies 8/3/36

"Gee, Mae, why dinja tell me we was goin' to Staten Island and I woulda worn my slacks?"

Feeling like you need to dress up to go to Staten Island is a little boggling, I must admit.

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/26/41

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
My god. Turtles again.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Selachian posted:

Everyday Movies 8/3/36

"Gee, Mae, why dinja tell me we was goin' to Staten Island and I woulda worn my slacks?"

If it was the woman saying it to the man then possibly because of the wind whipping her skirt around but I’ve never heard of a man’s name of Mae.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It might say Mac.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think it says Mac.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

:goofy:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

I think it says Mac.

I checked another newspaper (the Tacoma News Tribune), which printed the caption in non-italic form, and you're right:

(It's also amusing that they changed the punchline to make more sense to a Washington audience.)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Selachian posted:

I checked another newspaper (the Tacoma News Tribune), which printed the caption in non-italic form, and you're right:

(It's also amusing that they changed the punchline to make more sense to a Washington audience.)

Hah I live in the sound so that’s a nice touch and funny they did that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hempuli posted:

That's the end of this book of ANSU! I have one book left, but scanning these is so work-intensive that I'll take a break before continuing to the last one.

Thank you for scanning and posting, I've been quietly enjoying it. :tipshat:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

I wonder if Slylock has ever found evidence that exonerates the accused.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Medenmath posted:

My slightly more sinister read is that the doppleganger swapped places with Abeken, which is why he's evasive about his eye and uninterested in Inamori dating someone else.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Samovar posted:

In 1927, it would've probably been about Boston's infamous Watch and Ward Society.

MassMoments posted:

On this day [April 25th] in 1926, reporter and literary critic H.L. Mencken was arrested on Boston Common for selling a magazine that had been banned by the New England Watch and Ward Society, the city's self-appointed moral censors. A fierce defender of free speech, Mencken had traveled to Boston with the express intention of getting himself arrested. The minute he sold a copy of the magazine, the vice squad took him into custody. Not everyone in Boston agreed with the Watch and Ward Society, and the next day a judge ruled in Mencken's favor. He was acquitted on all charges. The victory was short-lived, however. Boston continued to lead the nation in the banning of books for another 30 years.

The phrase "Banned in Boston" has its origins in the early 1900s. Boston may have trailed New York in most ways, but it led the nation in practicing censorship based on moral grounds. The driving force behind the city's puritanical purges was the Watch and Ward Society, founded in 1878 to "watch and ward off evildoers."

According to the Globe, during the heyday of the Watch and Ward, "the Boston Public Library kept books the society considered objectionable in a locked room, the Museum of Fine Arts kept part of its Asian collection behind closed doors, and the label 'banned in Boston' became a selling point for salacious books from New York to San Francisco." The members of the Watch and Ward Society encountered little resistance — until they targeted H.L. Mencken.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (July 27, 1935)

Peanuts (July 12, 1976)

The New Adventures Of Mopey Pete

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 12, 1940)

Out Our Way (April 6-8, 1942)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Medenmath posted:

boltar boltar boltar BOLTAR BOLTAR BOLTAR BOLTAR

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Copper vs Planck rules so much, lmfao. :allears:

Jucika "130 - Jucika Doesn't Like To Carry Groceries"

"131 - Jucika And The Peaches" NSFW Nudity

Asking for this set up next time I eat out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Would anyone be interested in a thread solely for discussing mary worth? is that allowed?