Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my kids backpack is flimsy as hell and like six different bright colors. I'm failing as a tier 1 dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Microplastics posted:

Apparently this is the landlord thread now

*thinking really hard*

Parents are just landlords for smaller people

✅ Want you to clean the premises all the time
✅ try and get you to do free labor improving the place
✅ force you to do things on their schedule
✅ half assed repairs
✅ want to kick you out as soon as legally possible

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

you'd think I'd have to own a fuckin house to be a landlord

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Panfilo posted:

The whole "kids have to wear bulletproof backpacks to school" is a scary thought, but realistically how many parents are equipping their kids with these? Who exactly is the main demographic for such items? Nervous liberal grandparents who watch CNN all day?

Imagine how mad I'd be at my kid who lost his kevlar adamantine shield pack with the textbooks. That'd be like $2000 to replace

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bulletproof backpack sounds like a videogame item

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

KirbyKhan posted:

Imagine how mad I'd be at my kid who lost his kevlar adamantine shield pack with the textbooks. That'd be like $2000 to replace

If he's like my kid, he "lost" his mithril lined backpack in exchange for six or seven kit-kats.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Can we just make the Glenn thread the mass shooting thread?

The other Hoot already did
:rimshot:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

bitmap posted:

Sublet landlord.

But nah, at least with small kids, these fuckers don't pay rent and their work is less than the required work for their upkeep.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

The whole "kids have to wear bulletproof backpacks to school" is a scary thought, but realistically how many parents are equipping their kids with these? Who exactly is the main demographic for such items? Nervous liberal grandparents who watch CNN all day?

millennial exurb moms

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Kid is 3.5 and hit the phase of responding "I don't want to" to literally any request. Not everything is a choice kid just brush your drat teeth already :bang:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

8 month old is really into food and also eating. However, he will absolutely not stop loudly complaining the entire time. He's getting what he wants, he likes stuffing it into his face (unless it's tomatoes), but there's a constant loud complaining noise. At dinner today, it transitioned into tears, probably from eating too much judging by the very full tummy.

In other news, he also likes my guitar, as a climbing obstacle, a thing to stand with, as a drum and occasionally something to listen to, although that quickly turns into him holding the strings. He is also into eating the strings, so there's hope for him. It's a super good bonding activity. My paternity leave goal is to learn the chords and lyrics to the Internationale and have him recognize it as good

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Panfilo posted:

The best defense is a good offense

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

bitmap posted:

You are thinking of a madame or pimp.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like Blues Clues, but my brain cannot stop calling the current guy "Filipino Steve" and that's a lil too disrespectful. His name is Joshua and he was a Broadway trained musician.

The same Aladdin production that the Mrs Rachel crew is from. Gonna get a Fisher Price "my first red string board" to map out the connections

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son has discovered caillou from daycare and it hypnotizes him lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
yesterday the ice cream truck drove up my street playing a jangly tune and neither of my kids knew what it was

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yesterday the ice cream truck drove up my street playing a jangly tune and neither of my kids knew what it was

I haven't heard that tune in a few years. Either COVID killed them off or the ice cream truck cartel has put our neighborhood under an interdict.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
ice cream trucks are illegal where I used to live. kid got run over 30 years ago and the city was like Never. Again.

where we live now, the ice cream trucks all swarm the afternoon bus drop off points in front of the larger apartment complexes

honestly not sure which is better

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

he wasn't even playing The Entertainer. I can't remember the song... it was familiar but definitely not the classic ice cream jingle

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
We had multiple italian ice and ice cream trucks in my neighborhood when I was a kid. It ruled. They did good business too.

There is one that we hear come through our neighborhood every now and again during the summer, but he never seems to stop and he doesn't come down our street. Maybe once girl is mobile, we'll track him down but... no chocotacos.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
When I was a kid it was The Entertainer or turkey in the straw

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Chad Sexington posted:

but... no chocotacos.

:negative:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Lol was wondering where this thread went.

Any good vegan ice creams? Kids got to have ice cream but would prefer an option involving less sad cows.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
The ben and jerry's dairy free ones are pretty good.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Our ice cream trucks use a loud bell instead of a tune (and also they sell bulk packaging for the freezer at a ridiculous price). My oldest somehow forgot that it sells ice cream and will complain about the noise instead. I'm not saying anything.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Greg Legg posted:

The ben and jerry's dairy free ones are pretty good.

they aren’t vegan though. But some of them are egg free.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

lobster shirt posted:

my son has discovered caillou from daycare and it hypnotizes him lol

hate that little fucker (not your son)

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I had no idea! The last time I bought them the container said "dairy free" so I just assumed. Whoops. Thank you for the heads up.

KirbyKhan posted:

I like Blues Clues, but my brain cannot stop calling the current guy "Filipino Steve" and that's a lil too disrespectful. His name is Joshua and he was a Broadway trained musician.

For some reason our boys prefer Steve to Josh. I don't mind them watching either.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Classic ice cream truck song is Greensleeves isn't it?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

My neighborhood's ice cream truck plays llorando Se Fue. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H3QwNrk_WU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Those Ben and Jerry dairy-free options look good, going to try them thanks. We have an ice-cream maker but of course our older kid rejected every single home-made offering.

The older kid also figured out that their summer program is essentially summer school and yes they are mad.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

bitmap posted:

Subletlord

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Nocturtle posted:

The older kid also figured out that their summer program is essentially summer school and yes they are mad.

lmao

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
watching Nimona with the family rn and this movie kicks rear end

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

a number of them are vegan, and they’re good, too.

my kid has both egg and dairy allergies, so I’ve become pretty familiar with vegan stuff by necessity.

Nocturtle posted:

Lol was wondering where this thread went.

Any good vegan ice creams? Kids got to have ice cream but would prefer an option involving less sad cows.

an easy option that can be a quick family kitchen project: freeze bananas, stick bananas in a food processor or blender, optionally add cinnamon or chocolate or whatever, and whip. surprisingly decent.

Insanite has issued a correction as of 02:59 on Jul 10, 2023

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

watching Nimona with the family rn and this movie kicks rear end

My son is complaining it's nothing like the comic. I think I've raised a goon.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

sullat posted:

yeah I read about the comic afterwards and was surprised how different it was

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

sullat posted:

lmao

Nocturtle posted:

and also

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
my youngest starts school again tomorrow

her older brother starts middle school this year and doesn't start until late August

she loves school, but oh my god is she loving mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I am happy to report that my son has peed on the potty. Big ol round of applause