Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Just when Esidi's victory seems assured, Jos3ph springs his trap! Turns out that Jos3ph actually laid down two strings, woven such that the white string was behind Esidi, and the black string was in front of him, so that if Esidi cut one, the other would still be intact! Jos3ph wraps him up and sends heroin streaming through the string!

Read right to left:

Chapter 80 - Entrance to the Fire Zone, Section 3: END

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Thank you Zulily Zoetrope and Kit Walker for the tip for copying alt texts! I still think most of them in McNinja aren't worth including, but I'll copy a few when the mood strikes me. I'll include it for all of today's pages, which feel like a pretty representative sample.

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja - Issue #5: "Revenge of the Hundred Dead Ninja"

"Rod and Todd's Exposition in the Morning."

"Gaaaaah I hate drawing trees! HATE IT."

"Oh ho ho! Snap!"

"It was okay."

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

the brazil flag is in there for reals? how in the world does the translator grab that?

also lol at "i dont understand how it works but it looks like a bra"

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Night Visitors

“Teru teru” and “tartar” sound similar in Japanese. I think it came up in a Chako strip earlier, but “teru teru bozu” are little charms kids (and traditionally farmers) make out of tissue paper to wish for good weather.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Extra Ordinary

I think I'll have fruit salad tomorrow ʘ‿ʘ

Just jabbin' ya

Dat thing

It never gets any easier

Gentlemen, this is also my smooching face

ALL THAT TIME

Bees are overrated

REWIEND

I'm not a real doctor, but I am a real worm

Don't feed a guy a sponge, Bobby!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

rodbeard posted:

Chapter 51

From what I know of manga, this is basically a wedding scene

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tenebrais posted:

From what I know of manga, this is basically a wedding scene

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

School of World

and starting a 4-5 parter:
Dirt Creek

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

So this is what I've been working on! Sheesh took me a whole day but I had so much fun making it! I guess if you have avatars turned off the final panel won't make much sense to you!

I did a comic style page, a silhouette splash page (i've never done it before it was hard to wrap my head around at first), and a normal style high effort (for me!) final page. In order to make myself practice more I thought it would be fun to draw a bunch of JoJo scenes and characters but with our avatars as the stars of the show. Here we see Son Of Thunderbeast as the main character of JoJo part 3, Jotaro. The old dude is an old dude, no spoilers. the rear end man is the rear end man, no spoilers. I have a bunch of plans already for future works, everyone's avatars may seem impossible to use but fear not my brain can work the magic somehow. I have at least four already forming in my head and the next ones might not be more than just a single page, the multiple pages in this post were mainly just to introduce the project. For anyone that is familiar with the characters and wants to make a specific request quote this or any future post i make and i'll add it to the list. i don't get a lot of time to work on stuff like this but this is one of the only threads i read so if you post i'll see it.

currently planning on doing my ideas for Captain Hygiene, Tree Bucket, Emzedoh or KennyMan666 next. Feel free to still make your own personal choice requests even if I already did one for you or you showed up on the ideas list. if you DON'T know anything about jojo and still want to get on the list just say something like "i would like to see my av as a man/woman/animal/other that is good/evil/neutral and is brave/cowardly/shy/character trait and i'll pick one for you as close as i can match it! order i work on them has nothing to do with whether or not we're Posting Allies or whatever, just gonna go with whatever strikes me in the moment, hope to get a lot of art done and keep growing!

-CKSN (i guess this is my name abbreviation now, christened last night in this thread by Ditocoaf)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:yeshaha:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Demon
Chapter 20.03

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

currently planning on doing my ideas for Captain Hygiene, Tree Bucket, Emzedoh or KennyMan666 next. Feel free to still make your own personal choice requests even if I already did one for you or you showed up on the ideas list. if you DON'T know anything about jojo and still want to get on the list just say something like "i would like to see my av as a man/woman/animal/other that is good/evil/neutral and is brave/cowardly/shy/character trait and i'll pick one for you as close as i can match it! order i work on them has nothing to do with whether or not we're Posting Allies or whatever, just gonna go with whatever strikes me in the moment, hope to get a lot of art done and keep growing!

-CKSN (i guess this is my name abbreviation now, christened last night in this thread by Ditocoaf)

Ooh, exciting :o

Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance

Japan Tengu Party Illustrated

Well, there's a coincidence.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Spacetrawler

We finally got the answer and that's quite horrifying, but it was also teased so much that one could already imagine it being something like this, so it fell a bit flat, at least for me.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Jul 10, 2023

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

That is such confusing fridge geometry. I wish it followed Euclidean rules.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

So this is what I've been working on! Sheesh took me a whole day but I had so much fun making it! I guess if you have avatars turned off the final panel won't make much sense to you!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I remember this bit making a real impression on me when I first read Spacetrawler. That is imaginatively nasty.

Also dang, I missed the page where Martina got brain clamped, had to go back through to look for it. Sjonk.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Previously on Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, this is probably fine

06/19/2017 - They’re basically just Moray Eels

quote:

Happy Father’s day!

06/26/2017 - You all knew I had to make a comic about the hot dad dating sim

quote:

Hope everyone’s ready to pretend to date hot dads.

He’s so hooked on the idea of boring domestic family life, the closest thing he can manage to being single is dating someone who isn’t interested in marrying him.

07/03/2017 - Imagine him doing the “action man” and “Jonesey” voices

quote:

I imagine his “action guy” impression sounds like Diedrich Bader

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

fritz posted:

Dirt Creek

Forgot to comment on this before, this lady is not real subtle huh? Real guy in a hot dog suit vibes.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Kennel posted:

We finally got the answer and that's quite horrifying, but it was also teased so much that one could already imagine it being something like this, so it fell a bit flat, at least for me.

I think it’s more impactful if you read the story in one sitting. Although I completely missed in my first read-through that the one “crazy” alien at the G. O. B. wasn’t spouting insane garbage but accurate information.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kennel posted:

Spacetrawler

here's the crazy GOB alien for reference

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Krinkle posted:

That is such confusing fridge geometry. I wish it followed Euclidean rules.

I'm glad it doesn't

fritz posted:

School of World

Dirt Creek

Also I'm liking both of these. Thanks

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

I did a comic style page, a silhouette splash page (i've never done it before it was hard to wrap my head around at first), and a normal style high effort (for me!) final page. In order to make myself practice more I thought it would be fun to draw a bunch of JoJo scenes and characters but with our avatars as the stars of the show. Here we see Son Of Thunderbeast as the main character of JoJo part 3, Jotaro. The old dude is an old dude, no spoilers. the rear end man is the rear end man, no spoilers. I have a bunch of plans already for future works, everyone's avatars may seem impossible to use but fear not my brain can work the magic somehow. I have at least four already forming in my head and the next ones might not be more than just a single page, the multiple pages in this post were mainly just to introduce the project. For anyone that is familiar with the characters and wants to make a specific request quote this or any future post i make and i'll add it to the list. i don't get a lot of time to work on stuff like this but this is one of the only threads i read so if you post i'll see it.

This fucks.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

ANSU

That's the end of this book of ANSU! I have one book left, but scanning these is so work-intensive that I'll take a break before continuing to the last one.

The Accidental Space Spy

Hempuli posted:

362 - Laughter
363 - Chance Disc Flipper
364 - Knife Tooth Sponge goes to the doctor
365 - Evolution of comedy :biotruths:
366 - News For Wives

367 - Warehouse

368 - Vegetables

Alien species seen: 107
:biotruths:: 26
Talking character deaths: 47
Deaths overall: 81+

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

You've been scanning ANSU yourself? Thank you!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

THE GOONFROG IN THE WELL

ZHUANGZI SPEAKS 庄子说

A CROW EATING A DEAD RAT

YOU'RE NOT A FISH

ZHUANGZI DREAMS OF A SKELETON
surprise! Zhuangzi dreams more than butterflies

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Monya the Grey Chapter 6 (The “adventure montage before the big plot hook” chapter)

This might just be me feeling validation-starved, but it feels like it isn’t getting a lot of traction… is a chapter all at once too much?
Footnotes:
Utsunomiya is a real city, close enough to Tokyo to be convenient to visit but far enough away and small enough to be considered provincial by Tokyo people.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

ZHUANGZI SPEAKS 庄子说

ZHUANGZI DREAMS OF A SKELETON
surprise! Zhuangzi dreams more than butterflies

I'd like to see Mike Mignola do a take on Zhuangzi's conversation with a skull - not that this one isn't pretty good too!

Also, about the fish conversation, I'm not sure that logically follows! In the version I knew, Zhuangzi wraps it up with a pun: he says 'I know it by the Hao river, that's how', but apparently the word translated as 'how' can also mean 'where'.

Edit: I'm enjoying Monya, GE, don't stop posting it!

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Jul 10, 2023

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Emzedoh posted:

You've been scanning ANSU yourself? Thank you!

Loved this, especially the ones i couldn't figure out thank you!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
the Datima put me in the mind of Attack of the Hideous Space-Varmints, a 1997 Don Rosa comic

I don't have a scan and it wouldn't be kosher to post, but having remembered it exists, it's possibly my favorite sci-fi parody story.

E: also a big fan of Monya the Grey, please continue posting it!

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Jul 10, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

This might just be me feeling validation-starved, but it feels like it isn’t getting a lot of traction… is a chapter all at once too much?

I'm 100% on board with Weird Wizard Of Oz Manga Mishmash as posted, whether or not I'm reacting at the time.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Giant Ethicist posted:

Monya the Grey Chapter 6 (The “adventure montage before the big plot hook” chapter)

I'm a fan. It's cute and weird and I wanna know where it's gonna go. I don't have much to say about most things most of the time but I'm digging it. Personally I'd be happy with more updates even if they're shorter, but if you're editing stuff along the way then just go at whatever pace works for you

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm enjoying Monya the Gray too. Just fewer opportunities to comment when it's once a week. (Also, I'm pretty sure we're all reading and enjoying plenty of stuff we don't comment on!)

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Giant Ethicist posted:

Footnotes:
Utsunomiya is a real city, close enough to Tokyo to be convenient to visit but far enough away and small enough to be considered provincial by Tokyo people.

I like getting a whole chapter, keep it up.

Hempuli posted:

Alien species seen: 107
:biotruths:: 26
Talking character deaths: 47
Deaths overall: 81+

I am excited to learn about the Datima

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm enjoying Monya the Gray too. Just fewer opportunities to comment when it's once a week. (Also, I'm pretty sure we're all reading and enjoying plenty of stuff we don't comment on!)

It's true. Let us give praise to one thing we've been following but haven't had anything interesting to say about. For me, it's Tall Penguin.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Monya the Grey is so cute i love it pleaseeeee keep posting it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Possibly the only thread where you could legitimately go "hey, there's too much good stuff, could folks back off a bit?"

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I'm liking it as much as last time, but I'm finding the "two-timg-images-side-by-side" posting format to be kind of difficult, especially since the pages are read left-to-right but the panels right-to-left. I wonder if it'd be better to post half as many pages per post, without posting two pages side-by-side like you do now?

EDIT:
Monya is excellent.
Adam Muto's stuff is confusingly good all the time.
Bibi has a really good style even if the story is a bit light.
Val is great, Foster's such a good storyteller and artist.
The green lesbian comic is very good although I feel that it has gotten a bit harder to follow (there seems to be a lot of tiny expressions, noises and comments going on in every panel).
Boba Pearl is exemplary in the thread for really going at it with making them comics; it was interesting to read the discussion/joking earlier about how obsessively some get into the craft and while I get that that kind of enthusiasm for drawing has its own massive drawbacks, I lament a bit that I haven't had all that much motivation to do comics for quite some time.

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 06:10 on Jul 10, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Last time, in Vigils for Friends

Today, the girls get given ANOTHER ultimatum.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Emzedoh posted:

It's true. Let us give praise to one thing we've been following but haven't had anything interesting to say about. For me, it's Tall Penguin.

Seconded.

Vigils for Friends has been pretty entertaining!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Captain Hygiene posted:

Possibly the only thread where you could legitimately go "hey, there's too much good stuff, could folks back off a bit?"

It's way too hard to comment on all the great stuff itt, so the best I can do is emptyquote this statement

e: also keeping a keen eye on DIRT CREEK and whatever shenanigans CKSN is brewing.

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 06:17 on Jul 10, 2023