Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
My feedback for this thread is lol and even LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the thread must remain open until a self-own of sufficient magnitude occurs

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Booourns posted:

do you think that anywhere that bans posting slurs is punishing minorities specifically?

I genuinely don't believe you know what a slur is.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

ddinkins posted:

This jokester has gone too far. Let us destroy him

I believe you will find it is us who will be destroyed, fulfilling the project of the dead, and gay, forums.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cousin Todd posted:

Some of the arguments in defense of using gay/aids as an insult here read an awful lot like this tweet to me.

oh hell yeah lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

What the. The aids chat is hella crazy.

He's some feedback I think smug should be made full mod. He is my enemy but I trust he'd withhold his power and not smite me without reason.

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023
I'm personally ready for the tyranny of smugworth to reign over this forum.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Yeah, make Slugworth a mod.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cousin Todd posted:

Some of the arguments in defense of using gay/aids as an insult here read an awful lot like this tweet to me.

this poster should be banned.

Booourns posted:

do you think that anywhere that bans posting slurs is punishing minorities specifically?
i think its quite easy to tell the difference between 'this post is aids' and 'i think that the gays should be executed'.

like if you think the term should be banned whatever but a forum that lets people accuse people of not actually being gay for disagreeing with them but bans the term 'failaids' is loving moronic

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 10, 2023

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Cousin Todd posted:

Yeah I also think that lgbt people who disagree with me are faking it.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Why not do a probe on sight for people who are obviously just trying to stir up poo poo?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

genuinely that cousin todd post is one of the most virulently homophobic things ive seen on these forums so its cool its going to go completely unpunished

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I for one appreciate that the original issue of "hey why is the grover sub thread still chugging along" has been replaced with "there is no greater threat to our internet safety than a threadshitter that calls our threads aids."

Keeping yer eye on the ball.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Endorph posted:

genuinely that cousin todd post is one of the most virulently homophobic things ive seen on these forums so its cool its going to go completely unpunished

they are waiting for 16 bit butt head to become a GBS mod so that he can press the button himself

personally i think it would be better to do it now, long probe, maybe a ban, it was a pretty goddamn bad post

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Slugswort isn’t doing his job, derelict mod. Demod Slugwort.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Toxic Mental posted:

Slugswort isn’t doing his job, derelict mod. Demod Slugwort.

Done

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Endorph posted:

your exaggeration is the worst thing I've read in the history of humanity

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not exaggerating lol

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Endorph posted:

meanwhile Smugworth continues to be the living proof that giving someone buttons as a joke only works if the person doing it knows what a joke is

Autisanal Cheese fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 10, 2023

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

People trying to litigate why ironic bigotry is actually good and cool… feels like I’m stuck in a time warp

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Endorph posted:

Don't be an rear end. He may have phrased it poorly, but we can't make forum rules based on identities because it's the internet where identity amorphous. Either it is fine for everybody to say, or for nobody to say. That's why we don't let presidents use the r-word.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

responsible slur owners commit basically zero hate crimes

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023
The only logical conclusion is that mods must verify the identity of posters to determine which slurs and words they're allowed to use as pejoratives. It's the only way to avoid this type of situation.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I feel that it is generally quite easy to tell who is calling things gay and AIDS for hateful reasons and who is just joking around based on context, without the need to be keeping spreadsheets.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Saagonsa posted:

I feel that it is generally quite easy to tell who is calling things gay and AIDS for hateful reasons and who is just joking around based on context, without the need to be keeping spreadsheets.

Cool, sounds like you may have high emotional intelligence. Do you think the average goon has above average emotional intelligence and will also easily grasp this?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Why people from other forums find prospective GBS rules to be an existential threat is beyond me. It's very odd.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Saagonsa posted:

I agree with this for the most part. I have a functioning bullshit detector and can use it.

Calling stuff gay and AIDS is first grader poo poo anyway, and if anyone really does use that stuff hatefully, I'll just point and laugh at them. Someone comparing me to Dean Browning is way more offensive to me than anyone calling me fake and gay as an insult.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, there's no need to couch it in righteous fury, it's just super annoying when people try to talk like 12 year olds from 2000.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

emSparkly posted:

Calling stuff gay and AIDS is first grader poo poo anyway, and if anyone really does use that stuff hatefully, I'll just point and laugh at them. Someone comparing me to Dean Browning is way more offensive to me than anyone calling me fake and gay as an insult.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Why people from other forums find prospective GBS rules to be an existential threat is beyond me. It's very odd.

There's a history of certain posters being heavily invested in their 'right' to use slurs, to the point of eating a permaban.

I can understand posters from the slur-bearing forums wanting to keep them that way, and seeing GBS moving on from 2000s-era posting standards possibly worries them.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

emSparkly posted:

I agree with this for the most part. I have a functioning bullshit detector and can use it.

Which raises a good point, namely why should we tolerate "first grader poo poo" in the first place?

In any case, despite how het up people were getting, it's not like we're on the cusp of banning the use of gay and AIDS right this very moment, if at all. I think it's understandable people find it annoying, and you seem to agree on that point. It's valid feedback in this, the feedback thread.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Facebook Aunt posted:

Cool, sounds like you may have high emotional intelligence. Do you think the average goon has above average emotional intelligence and will also easily grasp this?

if you're genuinely asking, i have autism and yes it is. it especially helps if you have had experiences where you overstepped or heard first hand how your preconception might not fit real social situations

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Which raises a good point, namely why should we tolerate "first grader poo poo" in the first place?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

There's a history of certain posters being heavily invested in their 'right' to use slurs, to the point of eating a permaban.

I can understand posters from the slur-bearing forums wanting to keep them that way, and seeing GBS moving on from 2000s-era posting standards possibly worries them.

theres a history of certain posters being heavily invested in their 'right' to watch videos of people dying

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Close this thread It's ridiculous now

Nm
Probes ftw ty

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I warned about slapfighting and namecalling, so please don't act surprised. This thread is not intended to be a referendum on the existence of GBS, thanks.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Endorph posted:

theres a history of certain posters being heavily invested in their 'right' to watch videos of people dying

Do you any evidence of that or is this the "lets throw out some unbacked accusations based on people wanting to discuss ukraine power hour" again.

On the aids thing. Even if you don't personally feel its a slur, using it normalizes in the eyes of the chuds who do, and makes them believe that actually its ok and right to use it for that purpose.

This isn't like, an ingroup with your friends where hopefully you've weeded out the nazis and everyone "gets" that, this is a public forum anyone can read.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

Do you any evidence of that or is this the "lets throw out some unbacked accusations based on people wanting to discuss ukraine power hour" again.

Nah, don't do this - 99% chance it will lead to relitigating the Ukraine thread or become posting about posters, and we don't need either of those things.

quote:

On the aids thing. Even if you don't personally feel its a slur, using it normalizes in the eyes of the chuds who do, and makes them believe that actually its ok and right to use it for that purpose.

This isn't like, an ingroup with your friends where hopefully you've weeded out the nazis and everyone "gets" that, this is a public forum anyone can read.

And I'd like to remind everyone this is not some kind of pressing issue. As far as I know we aren't exactly rarin' to make a rule about it.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

CaptainSarcastic posted:

they fear our posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

they fear our posts

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Not actually said by Gandhi.