Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

so many people crawling out of the woodwork to defend an edgelord, but where were they when the SSID goon got perma’d? nary a peep.

makes one wonder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bad Purchase posted:

so many people crawling out of the woodwork to defend an edgelord, but where were they when the SSID goon got perma’d? nary a peep.

makes one wonder

These two things are exactly the same, you have cracked the case.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

iwentdoodie posted:

Nah rust and filthyimp post here all the time

As do the rest just not in trump threads or gbs superstar threads

The first part of that is treading close to the line of namecalling/slapfighting that I am warning about, but my curiousity has been piqued by the second part. What, pray tell, is a "gbs superstar thread?"

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

anything that is or was stickied and/or has more than 3 pages

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

This once great thread has gone to crap

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The first part of that is treading close to the line of namecalling/slapfighting that I am warning about, but my curiousity has been piqued by the second part. What, pray tell, is a "gbs superstar thread?"

I think maybe this one? It's water cooler chat about the posters you hate and forums drama.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028862&pagenumber=454&perpage=40

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028862&pagenumber=454&perpage=40&userid=0#post533079431

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That ain't a GBS thread, and let's try not to lean in to inane forum war bullshit, okay?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'all the gay people should be punished for saying 'gay' and 'homo' is the kind of incredible brain power i expect from something awful dot com

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

trey and matt, vindicated at last

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Sensible chuckle:

Question: How long do threads get stickied for? Do they just kinda stay around until someone unstickies them or are they set on a timer?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Sensible chuckle:

Question: How long do threads get stickied for? Do they just kinda stay around until someone unstickies them or are they set on a timer?

It's entirely manual, as far as I know.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Sensible chuckle:

Either. I used to keep the Friday thread on a timer but I kept loving it up b/c of time differences.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If you see the GBS feedback thread has a lot of posts it's going to be complaining about their forum enemies 99% of time. Of course it attracts rubbernecking.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Smugworth posted:

Pfft.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

i can’t imagine what it must be like for Dr. Cool AIDS to see that name every time he posts, guy must be a cringe elemental at this point. maybe a mod could offer up a name change?

:confused:

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Fajita Queen posted:

Being a good ally by insisting that gay people treat aids the same way that Reaganites did in the 80s ftmfw

Fajita Queen posted:

Saying something is aids in the same way as saying something is cancer is not disparaging gay people, it's saying aids sucks rear end because it's a horrible disease that kills you, much like the posts that people are calling aids. In like a decade people will be doing the same thing with covid. Hope this helps.

Fajita Queen posted:

Also the people having mini meltdowns about it are some of the biggest dipshits on this website and making them get mad over nothing is extremely funny, so I applaud the brave forums soldiers who have given their lives for the cause.

This series of comments should be highlighted more because it is the most relevant argument here. If you're attempting to defend my honor as a gay man by fighting back against the bad word "AIDS", spare me. If you really want to fight for the cause do something more useful with your time, there are many organizations and charities that would appreciate the help. What's that? You're suddenly not interested in fighting homophobia? gently caress off then.

Using it as an excuse to fight forums enemies because they made you look bad is reprehensible.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Autisanal Cheese posted:

This series of comments should be highlighted more because it is the most relevant argument here. If you're attempting to defend my honor as a gay man by fighting back against the bad word "AIDS", spare me. If you really want to fight for the cause do something more useful with your time, there are many organizations and charities that would appreciate the help. What's that? You're suddenly not interested in fighting homophobia? gently caress off then.

Using it as an excuse to fight forums enemies because they made you look bad is reprehensible.
agreedo

also i feel like at least half of the ongoing argument about language has far less to do with any perceived homophobia or misogyny or ableism or opposition to those things than it is thinly veiled classist virtue signaling to show who's the most enlightened and Non-Problematic - because when people say things like this, and what faijita queen said, there's no response whatsoever

it reminds me of tumblr poo poo where sheltered knowitalls compete to see who can take the most offense on the behalf of groups they aren't a part of or involved in the struggles they pretend to champion - except when they can call someone a chud for something

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 9, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yep, make fun of the south parkers but no need to probe, can we wrap this up?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Bad Purchase posted:

yep, make fun of the south parkers but no need to probe, can we wrap this up?

reasonable compromise to me

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Smugworth posted:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is Seth a primary mod poster in it? Gbs superstar thread. Easy as. Dude is straight up aids for any thread.

Also lmfao "I'm warning about this!!!!" Pray tell what you think your purpose as an unpaid nerd actually is

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

is a "primary mod poster" like a warrior poet of old?

seth, when you get back, can you let us know which threads you are a primary mod poster in so we can put this question to bed?

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Are we supposed to keep a list of people who are allowed to call things gay as a pejorative?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this thread is GAY

It is wild that a post referred to the probed poster calling a thread gay and AIDS, and the part where they called it gay immediately got dropped from the discussion for ??? reasons.

pacerwpg fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 10, 2023

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Some of the arguments in defense of using gay/aids as an insult here read an awful lot like this tweet to me.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Cousin Todd posted:

Some of the arguments in defense of using gay/aids as an insult here read an awful lot like this tweet to me.

accusing people of converting to gay for the jokes like some kind of seinfeld plot, wtf

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It's fortunate that that isn't what I said or implied then.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

We don't have to cast doubt what people claim to be while also keeping around language that's obviously loaded at the same time, rules are meant to be universal, tia

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Cousin Todd posted:

I'm gonna wager a guess that this post is a lot more offensive than any use of "aids" as description of something bad, you don't have to do that to make your point

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Sensible chuckle:

There's a drop down with a bunch of potential lengths, or it can be stickied indefinitely

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Cousin Todd posted:

It's fortunate that that isn't what I said or implied then.

ok, if you weren't implying that posters itt were pretending to be something they aren't to speak in a false voice, what exactly did you mean when you referenced that tweet?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

quote:

'all the gay people should be punished for saying 'gay' and 'homo' is the kind of incredible brain power i expect from something awful dot com

Some of this stuff just feels disingenuous. Nobody said anything even remotely resembling this. And the "if you actually care about gay people donate to a charity instead of trying to get people to treat each other with respect!" Posts are just confusing frankly.

It feels more like people are trying to 'win' than actually have a discussion. It's strangely hostile.

Dead horse. I'll see myself out.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
thats right no true gay scotsman thinks aids is funny

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If you're gonna use it just be funny geez it isn't loving hard. When I posted about it my point was it was never used for anything but "waaaah :qq:"

If your posting uses offensive terms as a crutch and you struggle to post without them then just don't post. LAP has posted more constructive things than the nerds melting down over their posting styles.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Cousin Todd posted:

This is a phenomenally stupid post and you should feel bad for posting it. Seriously, the amount of lack of self-awareness at seeing posts with actual arguments from gay people is ‘well clearly they’re just making it up, if they’re gay they would have been on my side’ and effectively comparing that with fascist chud behavior is monumentally loving dumb.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
In a Pride thread: "this thread is gay :kimchi:"
In a thread you don't like: "This thread is fucken gay."

In an anecdotes thread: "my uncle struggled with aids during the Reagan administration and it was awful."
In a thread you don't like: "this thread is aids."

If you can't figure out the contextual difference as well as being able to extrapolate to appropriate other scenarios then I don't think you're ready for the world hth.

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

This jokester has gone too far. Let us destroy him

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
SAD hell is empty and all the devils are here or probed

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao @ the paranoia

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Endorph posted:

do you think that anywhere that bans posting slurs is punishing minorities specifically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

syntaxfunction posted:

If you're gonna use it just be funny geez it isn't loving hard. When I posted about it my point was it was never used for anything but "waaaah :qq:"

If your posting uses offensive terms as a crutch and you struggle to post without them then just don't post. LAP has posted more constructive things than the nerds melting down over their posting styles.

LAP? A trifle!

...wait