Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Timby posted:

Highlander: The Series? It wasn't good, but it was definitely schlock.

Still better than the Crow TV series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Does Stargate SG-1 count as 90's schlock? Especially when it was on Showtime so they could show boobs.

They was a show call Space Rangers right?

How about the one show about the wandering vigilante who had super senses (no SFX required!) because he got lost in the jungle?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Sentinel and Swift Justice. And Seven Days and Deadly Games. And Nowhere Man and Jake 2.0. And the Burning Zone and Psi Factor.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Of course! VR 5.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Dead at 21.
The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.
Aeon Flux.
X-Files and Millennium (some schlock in both those shows).
Space: Above and Beyond.
ExoSquad.
M.A.N.T.I.S.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SeaQuest DSV, which was basically "Star Trek TNG but underwater." Especially considering that early in TNG's development they wanted to have dolphin crewmembers on the Enterprise.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I can’t believe we’re talking about 90s schlock and not mentioning Night Man.

https://youtu.be/i5LhB2X0cuA

Not an It’s Always Sunny joke, I promise.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Does Brisco County Jr hold up outside of being a vehicle for Bruce to ham it up? I loved it as a tween, but I’ve not revisited it.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Viper.
Renegade.
Kung Fu: The Legend Continues.
Forever Knight.
Beastmaster.
Xena: Warrior Princess.
Tales From The Crypt.
Kindred: The Embraced.
Weird Science.
She-Wolf of London.

If you can ignore that the leads are shitheads...Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

whydirt posted:

Does Brisco County Jr hold up outside of being a vehicle for Bruce to ham it up? I loved it as a tween, but I’ve not revisited it.

For the most part, yes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's also Earth: Final Conflict and Andromeda. Both shows based on failed Gene Roddenberry projects.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw81UlzhbTI

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Also Space: Above and Beyond, from what I remember felt very much like a proto-BSG.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

SeaQuest DSV, which was basically "Star Trek TNG but underwater." Especially considering that early in TNG's development they wanted to have dolphin crewmembers on the Enterprise.

There is a very 90s Seaquest where Seth Green tries to take over the internet, which is accessed exclusively through a second life-style interface where people walk avatars of themselves around an overworld to buy things or make calls. Better than what the actual internet ended up being tbh.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

whydirt posted:

I watched it on Tubi a few months ago, never heard of it prior. It was a ton of fun.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

There is a very 90s Seaquest where Seth Green tries to take over the internet, which is accessed exclusively through a second life-style interface where people walk avatars of themselves around an overworld to buy things or make calls. Better than what the actual internet ended up being tbh.

Isn't that what Zuckerberg tried doing and it was terrible?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Brisco is fun, but it would be way better if they leaned into the sci-fi/steampunk stuff more. It's just a straight cowboy show most of the time, albeit a fun one.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It’s endlessly funny to me that NBC uses the theme song for the Olympics 30 years later, while the show only lasted a season.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

I was a kid when SeaQuest aired and it was the first show I really considered myself a fan of.

With that in mind I think the most 90s thing I associate with SeaQuest was being really annoyed that an episode got delayed because the network was airing the OJ Simpson Bronco chase.

Although, looking up the episode airdates now, that doesn't seem to match up... maybe I was remembering a rerun.

Also, now I kind of want to rewatch The People vs. OJ Simpson, which was way better than it had any right to be. Although gently caress Ryan Murphy for trying to sue the strike leader, so maybe not.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Casimir Radon posted:

It’s endlessly funny to me that NBC uses the theme song for the Olympics 30 years later, while the show only lasted a season.

They stopped using the theme for the Olympics after the 2016 Games.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

feedmyleg posted:

Brisco is fun, but it would be way better if they leaned into the sci-fi/steampunk stuff more. It's just a straight cowboy show most of the time, albeit a fun one.

I remember that they kept using the theme song from Brisco County after the show died in all sorts of other promos like for NFL games

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Phantom 2040 was better than it had any right to be. There's a tie-in video game which is even more better than it has any right to be, it has branching paths and like 40 endings depending on your actions.

The 90s had quite a few short-lived and often surprisingly good cyberpunk cartoons. I actually liked Spider-Man Unlimited.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

I AM GRANDO posted:

The Sentinel and Swift Justice. And Seven Days and Deadly Games. And Nowhere Man and Jake 2.0. And the Burning Zone and Psi Factor.

man, Seven Days was a lot of fun for such a limited concept.

Time travel! But for budget reasons, we can only travel back 7 days.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

One of my favorite early 00s scifi shows was Invisible Man. An agent who can become invisible but for budget reasons because it causes brain poisoning can't do it too much. He works for the agency that has the only treatment for the brain poison but they have no budget, no authority, and no respect from any branch of the government.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MH Knights posted:

Renegade.

Renegade was sick as hell

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

MH Knights posted:

Viper.
Renegade.
Forever Knight.
Beastmaster.
Tales From The Crypt.
Weird Science.
She-Wolf of London.

If you can ignore that the leads are shitheads...Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.

90s syndicated tv was the loving best.

One of these days I'm going to have to do a rewatch of Relic Hunter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

8one6 posted:

One of my favorite early 00s scifi shows was Invisible Man. An agent who can become invisible but for budget reasons because it causes brain poisoning can't do it too much. He works for the agency that has the only treatment for the brain poison but they have no budget, no authority, and no respect from any branch of the government.

I loosely remember that. It's a legit great concept. A ghetto black ops agency with a defective super agent.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

never heard of this lol

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

8one6 posted:

How the hell do you not have the budget for an invisible man? Just don’t have the actor on camera! He’s invisible, you literally don’t have to show him!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

galagazombie posted:

How the hell do you not have the budget for an invisible man? Just don’t have the actor on camera! He’s invisible, you literally don’t have to show him!

As long as he doesn't interact with anything visible. If he does anything but walk an invisible dog on a leash, that requiressome creativity and/or money for FX.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

8one6 posted:

The only memory of that show i had was quicksilver being involved

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Non Compos Mentis posted:

The only memory of that show i had was quicksilver being involved

The substance that causes invisibility is silver before turning invisible.

I love that show since every character seems fun even if there's no invisible man. And their ramshackle secret agency gets transferred through several US gov departments throughout the show, including the ones in charge of farms and national parks. Which I remember led to an episode where they actually had to go on a mission related to that department and met Bigfoot. Which was also invisible (that's why no one can find it).

I also remember they added a female agent that had the same name as the protagonist of Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MH Knights posted:

Viper.
Renegade.
Forever Knight.
Beastmaster.
Tales From The Crypt.
Weird Science.
She-Wolf of London.

Don't forget the Sammo Hung led Martial Law!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Enos Cabell posted:

Don't forget the Sammo Hung led Martial Law!

So good. Used to watch that with my dad after Nash Bridges

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Hasturtium posted:

I can’t believe we’re talking about 90s schlock and not mentioning Night Man.

https://youtu.be/i5LhB2X0cuA

Not an It’s Always Sunny joke, I promise.

Night Man is great for two reasons;

1. The show runner devoted two episodes to a back door pilot for a 90s reboot of Manimal

2. Despite scraping the wood off the barrel at this point, Night Man and the other characters in the same line are in the 'This is not a place of honor' portion of the Marvel Vault.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I seem to remember Night Man appearing in a 90s cartoon but not sure what.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
that Night Man trailer was homoerotic as hell lemme tell ya

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

8one6 posted:

One of my favorite early 00s scifi shows was Invisible Man. An agent who can become invisible but for budget reasons because it causes brain poisoning can't do it too much.

Did they steal this from the Batman Animated Series episode?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The MSJ posted:

I seem to remember Night Man appearing in a 90s cartoon but not sure what.

Ultraforce, it had a short lived cartoon series back when every animated studio was throwing money at any comic book company would take it.

The tricky thing about Ultraverse characters was that Malibu, the company that originally created the line, wanted this big shared cohesive universe so they offered profit sharing across the line to various creators. Every creator would get a small cut from the other lines to foster cooperation rather than competition.

Cool idea until one of the creators turns out to be a child molester and any revival of any of the characters would mean cutting checks to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Ultraforce, it had a short lived cartoon series back when every animated studio was throwing money at any comic book company would take it.

The tricky thing about Ultraverse characters was that Malibu, the company that originally created the line, wanted this big shared cohesive universe so they offered profit sharing across the line to various creators. Every creator would get a small cut from the other lines to foster cooperation rather than competition.

Cool idea until one of the creators turns out to be a child molester and any revival of any of the characters would mean cutting checks to him.

Also Marvel bought them and does nothing with the characters. Except for Ultraverse's Christian Thor making a cameo on the cover of a Thor comic.

I found the cartoon. All the jank of 90s TV animation but some interesting things too, like how nobody who is observant gets fooled by the shapeshifter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3auXYAil2QU