Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

GreatGreen posted:

Looking forward to leveling my new Druid, Roseanne.

She's the reason none of the barbarians trust the druids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I love the female druids, they rule, big rear end women with chubby cheeks, like a cool grandma.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Soonmot posted:

How does that work, because that's a codex aspect I've made sure to put on my gear already.

Not sure if someone answered you but the aspect only works when shred dashes. So in order to get it to work on a single target you have to dash on each hit (use the upgrade that makes every hit a dash) by doing hit and runs. If you are already within range of the target it won't dash and thus won't activate the aspect.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Martian Manfucker posted:

Not sure if someone answered you but the aspect only works when shred dashes. So in order to get it to work on a single target you have to dash on each hit (use the upgrade that makes every hit a dash) by doing hit and runs. If you are already within range of the target it won't dash and thus won't activate the aspect.
I considered that build for a while, but it sounds like such a pain in the arse to have to set up Shred like that every time.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Ravus Ursus posted:

Man you just... Firing on all cylinders huh?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

bus hustler posted:

OK the respec chat got me thinking, who are you even paying to respec? Where is that gold going? I realize that the game isn't that realistic but they aren't even pretending with that one

Also D2 offered multiple penalty free respecs, they should give you a respec after beating each of the capstone dungeons. :colbert: (I don't actually care about respecs)

Haven’t you ever heard of “investing in yourself”, like in hit game Yakuza 0?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So I just finished Act 1. At this point I'm rooting for Lilith.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Shard posted:

shes got big ideas, big horns, and a big rack

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

Vic posted:

The way things are looking Diablo 4 is going to steal a lot of Star Citizen's playerbase.

I appreciated this niche joke

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Vic posted:

The way things are looking Diablo 4 is going to steal a lot of Star Citizen's playerbase.
I like that this is two jokes in one but depending on who you are, you only see one side of the coin.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Shard posted:

you and half of sanctuary

folk here just champing at the bit to make a deal with a devil

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I feel like I'm close to the end of the campaign but I'm starting to feel like I don't want to play anymore

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Region 1 of 5 complete... nabbing all the Shrines and discovering all the Areas on a Hardcore character

So if I understand correctly, I need to make sure this character is Alive when Season 1 begins?

Do I want to have a backup HC Character so that my shrines & areas won't go POOF if my character happens to die?

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

is season 1 when they’re gonna bring back the RMAH

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Substandard posted:

I've been farming the PVP zones at like 8am. I only have 2 ears, but I have most of the mount unlocks now.

Best PVP system ever IMHO

I have all of the pvp rewards that I even remotely wanted and in the time I spent grinding them (at normal people hours), I saw 5 players total. Only one of those was hostile.

Cheesed the 10 hardcore kills too so I can look like a pvp god with my pvp armor + fire horse w/banner + Sweaty Murderer title even though I've never killed anyone.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Region 1 of 5 complete... nabbing all the Shrines and discovering all the Areas on a Hardcore character

So if I understand correctly, I need to make sure this character is Alive when Season 1 begins?

Do I want to have a backup HC Character so that my shrines & areas won't go POOF if my character happens to die?

i kinda don’t know either actually. i know area progress isn’t shared between characters (even if they’re both HC or SC) right now so that would be lost if your clearing guy died. i dunno though if i made a second HC character after my main dies but before the 18th if that would work? do they have to have logged in prior to the other characters death to get altar progress? who knows

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
You've got ten slots, might as well make the back up and log in once. :shobon:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Substandard posted:

I've been farming the PVP zones at like 8am. I only have 2 ears, but I have most of the mount unlocks now.

Best PVP system ever IMHO

hardcore? what class/build

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yes, keep the character alive or else your renown progress will not be transferred over to S1 characters

You actually need to keep the character who opened the shrines, this should be your backup character. This is so fkin stupid. .. .

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Mr. Pickles posted:

Yes, keep the character alive or else your renown progress will not be transferred over to S1 characters

You actually need to keep the character who opened the shrines, this should be your backup character. This is so fkin stupid. .. .

It really is, I'm waiting for the season to actually drop to see how it's going to be like, but having to repaint the map and do renown is weapon grade tedium.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Orange Crush Rush posted:

it also probably doesn't help that like, almost every melee mob (which is most of them) has some instant gap closing attack on you

I plan on getting around it with freeze and just walking away once I can get a glimpse of what's there but it makes a range build much harder for no reason. The mobs engage from off screen lol

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Vic posted:

It really is, I'm waiting for the season to actually drop to see how it's going to be like, but having to repaint the map and do renown is weapon grade tedium.

tell me about it. I ran around doing renown on a hardcore character to get all the extra potions and stats but then died, so now I have no way to keep the progress :o

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

flashman posted:

I plan on getting around it with freeze and just walking away once I can get a glimpse of what's there but it makes a range build much harder for no reason. The mobs engage from off screen lol
I want to get the same level of zoom a Corpse Bow uses.

Jokes aside, it's funny that the correct level of zoom is already in the game (mounted zoom is perfectly serviceable) but you can't switch to it while on foot. Even if my barbarian is faster than my horse.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

they will never have a good answer to this, it's been asked and talked around 5000 times already in this thread.

The repeated claims of "It makes my choices meaningful" is complete bullshit, because if someone actually cared about that, they could just play by self imposed rules while letting other people enjoy actually frictionless gameplay that doesn't suck up their time on meaningless tedium. But if the option for no hassle spec swapping exists then they can never be happy, I guess, because their whole schtick relies on other people not being able to easily do whatever they want, in what is largely still a single player loving game. Even if there was an option at character creation ala picking hardcore/softcore to pick no hassle respecs or locking that character to pita respecs, that wouldn't be good enough either, because then the option is still there taunting them, so it has to be taken away from everyone.

Going on about "investment" and poo poo is crap, because as other posters noted, to actually play other builds you have to do the thing that ARPGs are most focused on at a core level: collect the gear and optimize the item set. The other stuff is just pointless cargo culted cruft that has no reason to exist, going on about "oh it's not that big a deal to level a second character" is like, cool, ok, then what's the point at all?

The fundamental gate to any activity in an arpg is time: time to farm xp, time to farm loot, whatever, time is the fundamental currency to invest in making your character(s) better, and in an ideal world you should feel that you are being tangibly rewarded for your time investment via increased character power, whether that's in the form of higher level, higher level glyphs (gems in D3 terms) or better rolled gear. Time spent "treading water" while farming for currency or whatnot will never feel good, and BACK IN THE DAY OF D2, the thing that gets held up as the pinnacle of arpg design, everyone just botted it anyhow.

You will not get anywhere at all posting through this because at least half the people replying to you are just doing a bit to see how much further they can stretch the absurdity or rile people up.

agreed. the poeple who disagre with me are disingenous, and lying.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

That Italian Guy posted:

I want to get the same level of zoom a Corpse Bow uses.

Jokes aside, it's funny that the correct level of zoom is already in the game (mounted zoom is perfectly serviceable) but you can't switch to it while on foot. Even if my barbarian is faster than my horse.

Yeah dude all the varieties are already there, world boss zoom would prob gently caress with the aggro radius but horse seems fine.. No joke corpse bow view would be good.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I think the most excited I was during the campaign was when the camera zooms way out as you cross a stone bridge near the finale. For a brief moment I beheld what long range targeting might look like, before being pulled back down into a small little box once I crossed to the other side.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

And you know it's because "We paid good money for all these assets and you're going to look at them"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dont even notice it due to many poe hours

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Vic posted:

And you know it's because "We paid good money for all these assets and you're going to look at them"

its so you can see teh cc easier and dodge it :)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I prefer the term speed bumps.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Stux posted:

dont even notice it due to many poe hours

Condolences

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

This is what it's like to talk about Diablo 4 ITT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3jv6zUTgpw&t=576s

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Vic posted:

This is what it's like to talk about Diablo 4 ITT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3jv6zUTgpw&t=576s

didn't watch

could you post something more constructive beyond either moaning about the game or moaning about people being sick of you moaning about it, I'd really appreciate it, it would make this thread a bit more bearable

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
pithy black books jabs are infintely more preferable than long paragraphs. hell rip on the game with sassy gifs and ill probably care more about your opinions than i did before

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Autisanal Cheese posted:

didn't watch

could you post something more constructive beyond either moaning about the game or moaning about people being sick of you moaning about it, I'd really appreciate it, it would make this thread a bit more bearable

The irony of this post is hilarious.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The only reason it should cost money to respec (and it should only ever cost the amount you can earn in 10 minutes of play) is to give the player just enough pause after making a mistake to go "...but what if I just played with this accident I built?" as a means of forced experimentation. Sure, it only happens once every hundred times someone respects and sure, the happiness of realizing the build you tripped into is better happens only once every hundred times they try it out, but boy is it worth it when it happens!

In Diablo 4's case, though, they already built insane money sinks with zero money jackpots, so the respec cost is a needless annoyance that inhibits experimentation and verification. Like verifying whether or not Cult Leader works. (It still doesn't.)

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Respec is not expensive though is it? I have not reached 100 but my full respec in the early 80s cost about 2million gold. Thats quite cheap considering my threshold to stop enchanting an item is 15million per roll.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Mr. Pickles posted:

Respec is not expensive though is it? I have not reached 100 but my full respec in the early 80s cost about 2million gold. Thats quite cheap considering my threshold to stop enchanting an item is 15million per roll.

It's not, and the only time you might find yourself not being able to afford a respec is very early on, when you don't need to respec. It's basically only preventing you from experimenting when your stash is full of Uniques, because that's the only situation where you'd be willingly swapping out a lot of items/skills. Another baby with the bathwater situation from D3.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
He protecc, he attacc, but most importantly he respecc

I'll be here all week, the week being 2017

edit: the real HC mode is posting these kinds of jokes in a thread this sour

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
Its like 9 million for full paragon respec at 100, which you can earn in an hour of selling your loot

Considerably less if you only change parts of it.

I kept my gold at 50mil+ and it was never an issue and I used much more gold in enchanting costs (cause there's not much else to sink your endless gold into)