Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
OK, thanks for the affirmation, all!

Dirt Creek is looking interesting.

I like Zhuangzi a lot - it's reminding my actually of Larry Gonick, who I think was mentioned when it started getting posted, in its non-reverent education about historical figures.

Takako-san is also a personal favorite in its (what I'm choosing to read as) neurodivergent coziness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

It's way too hard to comment on all the great stuff itt, so the best I can do is emptyquote this statement

e: also keeping a keen eye on DIRT CREEK and whatever shenanigans CKSN is brewing.

we're all still waiting on birb comics too, don't think we forgot! :buddy:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Valhalla

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

Possibly the only thread where you could legitimately go "hey, there's too much good stuff, could folks back off a bit?"

hell yeah

e: we never did get the end of breadcat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do wonder if Thorsby is getting into some self-parody here. Actually there's a running theme of in-universe media that's basically a mix of blatant clichés and bizarre fixations.

Come to think of it, also at least the second time you've had a more traditional action hero protagonist who gets built up and then killed off by happenstance almost immediately after meeting the protagonists, whose absence is far more significant than his presence.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Monya is going a long way towards making me less sad there's no more Chako

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

As for myself I just opened notepad and started hitting the back button on the thread and started scrolling and noting down names and avatars and ideas for who / what to draw them as.

I'm at 30 names (so far) with 22 finalized prompts. obviously i have a few im still trying to decide / come up with an idea for. i'll come up with something good for everyone; with so little time to work on them in the week i will have a lot of time to think up something while working on the others.

not everybody posts every day so as i see people not on my list i'll add them. this is a long haul project that i hope will force me to draw more often, and experiment with new techniques and styles (i'm really happy with the silhouette picture from my first post. first try!)

i think the only other person that i've already drawn other than Thunderbeast now, is boba's characters. i wanna see what the new project looks like but if it's at all space themed as i think was mentioned earlier in the thread: then we're on lock. (will probably put that one off til we get to see the characters and i can get a feel for them though.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also apparently there is quite some precedent in Chinese literature of cunning, goofy mentors who love pranking their students in silly and enlightening ways.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Strange Tragedy of Doctor Donaldus Faustus

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 08:27 on Jul 10, 2023

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

There's a panel in there twice (and probably one missed out)

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Giant Ethicist posted:

OK, thanks for the affirmation, all!

Dirt Creek is looking interesting.

I like Zhuangzi a lot - it's reminding my actually of Larry Gonick, who I think was mentioned when it started getting posted, in its non-reverent education about historical figures.

Takako-san is also a personal favorite in its (what I'm choosing to read as) neurodivergent coziness.

I think that's a fair enough reading. Is it likely to be the author's intention? Well... probably not, but who cares about that? It makes a lot of sense to me.

I did mention posting Gonick's Cartoon History of the Universe, but hearing about the fate of the old thread got my a little spooked about posting copyrighted stuff. I mean, I justify the manga I post because it's unlicensed, but who knows.

Anyway, Takako:

Emzedoh posted:

Takako-san chapter 17

Takako-san chapter 18

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

MS Paint Masterpieces
#92: Preposterousness - I Hate You, Polka

#93: Preposterousness - The Sound of Heroism

#94: Preposterousness - Strike Down

sprite art things I like: polka's weird little skitter and wiggly arms

sprite art things I don't like:

MS Paint Masterpieces
#95: Preposterousness - P-P-POW!

#96: Preposterousness - Aww Yeah

#97: Preposterousness - Flawless Victory

the 'lens flare' tool in photoshop was the easiest effect to lay onto an image by far, which meant that it became a cliche for lazy sprite artists to slap on unnecessary lens flares whenever anything happened

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Tunicate posted:

the 'lens flare' tool in photoshop was the easiest effect to lay onto an image by far, which meant that it became a cliche for lazy sprite artists to slap on unnecessary lens flares whenever anything happened

haha goooood fuckin times

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i'm reminded of going to a bar that serves Chinese broths/soups (why) and the waitress served me a bowl of pork ribs & bittergourd broth with her nails inside the soup and then got confused why I wanted to change my order. The bar closed within one year. Coincidence!!!????!??

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

I'm at 30 names (so far) with 22 finalized prompts. obviously i have a few im still trying to decide / come up with an idea for. i'll come up with something good for everyone; with so little time to work on them in the week i will have a lot of time to think up something while working on the others.

self quoting just to say as im sitting here reading the thread and really looking at avatars: my brain hasn't been this stimulated in a while and i can't wait to start the next one. Feels good to have some creative writing / drawing plans rattle the old skull again.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i'm reminded of going to a bar that serves Chinese broths/soups (why) and the waitress served me a bowl of pork ribs & bittergourd broth with her nails inside the soup and then got confused why I wanted to change my order. The bar closed within one year. Coincidence!!!????!??

There has to be some guy with that exact fetisch, that lucky bastard.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Qwertycoatl posted:

There's a panel in there twice (and probably one missed out)

Sorry, that's fixed now!

Anyway, I need a mod decision. As I mentioned before, I would like to post the Carpi adaptations of Les Misérables and War and Peace - in keeping with my adaptations theme - but these are just about to receive an official US release. However, the scans I was planning to use are actually from an out of print British edition with a different translation. Would it be okay to post those?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I think for copyright law questions you actually want the site coder, op

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Art imitates life-

By popular demand posted:

There has to be some guy with that exact fetisch, that lucky bastard.

I shouldn't hate, but yikes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

self quoting just to say as im sitting here reading the thread and really looking at avatars: my brain hasn't been this stimulated in a while and i can't wait to start the next one. Feels good to have some creative writing / drawing plans rattle the old skull again.

I look forward to the results!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I may have been fooled by the dragon girl, but I can tell what color these characters are; they're clearly green.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Emzedoh posted:

It's true. Let us give praise to one thing we've been following but haven't had anything interesting to say about. For me, it's Tall Penguin.

ive posted about it before, but the one that randomly pops into my head the most when im away from the internet is shinozaki's daily maintenance. im also glad that the green lesbians are still going, although the plot is less eventful now than it used to be.

what happened to scoob and shag?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It's seriously time to start a new thread, with a list of all the finished comics on the OP.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Raluek posted:

ive posted about it before, but the one that randomly pops into my head the most when im away from the internet is shinozaki's daily maintenance. im also glad that the green lesbians are still going, although the plot is less eventful now than it used to be.

what happened to scoob and shag?

We got caught up, and the comic is on hiatus as far as I know. Last update was in December 2022. Glad you're enjoying SDM!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I may have been fooled by the dragon girl, but I can tell what color these characters are; they're clearly green.

Green with envy?

By popular demand posted:

It's seriously time to start a new thread, with a list of all the finished comics on the OP.

The whole internet is the sepulchre of famous webcomics. They are commemorated not only by columns and inscriptions in their own country, but in foreign lands also by memorials graven not on stone, but on the hearts of men.

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 11:04 on Jul 10, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

They really do look like the green lesbians. I can only assume the date the one is going on is to the concert with the other.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

are the beans green?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Oh, I'm an idiot. They really are the green lesbians. I totally didn't get what Zulily meant.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Emzedoh posted:

Green with envy?

green with dad rock prep/punk sexual tension

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Kind of like the goth/pastel thing rotated 90 degrees, right.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I think Tall Penguin is good, also the one comic with the wee unicorn boy and the Dad, which name I can't remember right now.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yeah tall penguin is great. The pre-parenthood zone ones are better, but the current batch is still good fun.

Emzedoh posted:

The whole internet is the sepulchre of famous webcomics. They are commemorated not only by columns and inscriptions in their own country, but in foreign lands also by memorials graven not on stone, but on the hearts of men.

I agree with this, but also, I've just finished drawing a lavishly soiled mattress for birbcomic, so it’s difficult to know how seriously one should take all this.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Synthbuttrange posted:

are the beans green?
Sure are!

Well, except for the Boom'r Band.

I've also not been commenting much on the comics that get posted but I do read everything. Might work on an opinion effortpost later.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Giant Ethicist posted:

This might just be me feeling validation-starved, but it feels like it isn’t getting a lot of traction… is a chapter all at once too much?

I like it.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

I agree with this, but also, I've just finished drawing a lavishly soiled mattress for birbcomic, so it’s difficult to know how seriously one should take all this.

Memento mori, Tree Bucket.

Ah, I'm just trying to be funny.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
Chiming in as another who's just here enjoying the comics but not much of a poster.

Shinozaki: Really, really like it even if I was getting worn down by quite how many characters recently have been "[trait] and really loud". Maybe it's not actually that many but my reaction to the repository kidnappers was definitely "ah we're shouting a lot again"

What Happens Next... is interesting and I once again broke and read ahead. But I don't think any character involved has even heard of good decisions let alone tried to make one. Obviously there are Reasons but ooof.

Monya I literally forgot about between postings but it's really fun and sweet. Like it a lot! Q-Rais' Night Visitors are delightful too. Get outta here, landlord!

Tall Penguin is great but Future Boyfriend can take a long walk off a short pier! :mad:

The Boy She Liked... aka Green Lesbians feels like it has slowed to the same continental drift speed that every anime romance works at but I like the art and those two green dumb-asses enough to just go (slowly) with it. Whoever said linking pinkies was basically a marriage proposal isn't wrong lmao

K6BD absolutely fuckin rules in every way.

Beanworld is fascinating and I am a complete idiot for not noticing that Mr Spook is clearly Hoi Polloi in some way until someone actually said it. I think Beanish deserves better though!

Demon is ridiculous in many good ways.

Accidental Space Spy has that good good Thorsby farce and I enjoy his completely mad biotruths but the connective tissue is definitely much much weaker than the others of his posted here.

Tredlocity / Val & Isaac always gets at least a chuckle.

Prince Valiant I am sorry but I can't get over your dumb haircut. Pretty to look at though!

Boba's drive to create and evolve as an artist is rad as hell to watch. Just very cool!

I will admit I don't get School of World or Extra Ordinary. Just not for me!

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (March 24-April 7, 1940)

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I for one am thrilled that the shirtless beefake with Hulta was not in fact a background character and additionally has sworn to gently caress Slith up

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Capsule

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Giant Ethicist posted:

neurodivergent coziness.

New favourite genre

Phthisis posted:

I for one am thrilled that the shirtless beefake with Hulta was not in fact a background character and additionally has sworn to gently caress Slith up

"Slith" sounds like a technical term for milk that has spoiled after a frog drowned in the milking bucket. Meanwhile I bet Prince Beefcakes has a name like Trantor the Magnificent or Thudstrong the Colossal or something.
e: Strongomir the Outstanding. Tallman Bicepulous.

Emzedoh posted:

Memento mori, Tree Bucket.

I will defiitely memento that particular mori!

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 14:48 on Jul 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.