Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How far can I get in this game without the purah pad

Are there actual hard gates to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In what way do you mean without the Purah Pad?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I wish Addison were marked off on the map in some way. I guess I could look at the Heroes Path, I assume I wouldn't have passed any up

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Pretty insightful critique here, sums up a lot of what I haven't been liking about this game a lot better than I could say it: https://youtu.be/a4ldmt3eU2I

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

In what way do you mean without the Purah Pad?

In the beginning of the game the first friendly zonai robot gives you the purah pad. I was wondering how far someone could progress if they just ignored the robot and never picked it up

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

If skipping the Purah Pad means you start taking actual screenshots then hell, I'm all for it, go for it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay there’s an immediate hard gate for not having the purah pad

It seems you can’t activate any terminals without it

There’s a terminal you need to activate to open a bridge to get off the island. Attempting to jump off to a lake below triggers automatic death

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Steve Yun posted:

In the beginning of the game the first friendly zonai robot gives you the purah pad. I was wondering how far someone could progress if they just ignored the robot and never picked it up

I would assume the robot would just go "Hey!" and force you into getting the pad, because the pad is like your menu, you kinda need it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Steve Yun posted:

How far can I get in this game without the purah pad

Are there actual hard gates to this

Leaving the underground is going to be a huge pain without it

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Real heroes ride dragon updrafts

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Poque posted:

Real heroes ride dragon updrafts

Or use the elevators. But I think some of the smaller areas don't have one.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Steve Yun posted:

Okay there’s an immediate hard gate for not having the purah pad

It seems you can’t activate any terminals without it

There’s a terminal you need to activate to open a bridge to get off the island. Attempting to jump off to a lake below triggers automatic death
if people can play botw without the sheikah slate through clever glitching, i'm sure there's a way around the purah pad too.

casually? no. is it possible? maybe!

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

if people can play botw without the sheikah slate through clever glitching, i'm sure there's a way around the purah pad too.

casually? no. is it possible? maybe!

In BotW, they were able to do that because they could just clip into the shrines and activate the elevator to get past the Great Plateau, but it seems like the devs have caught on and made the shrines all weird in TotK. I'm afraid getting into them without activating them might be too difficult for our glitch-hunting friends.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Huh, weird, this simple blessing shrine had a slightly different name and also I only just noticed for the first time ever some weird geography about that shrine, I guess I must have missed it the other times. Now to just take a confident and carefree step forward.....

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Jerusalem posted:

Huh, weird, this simple blessing shrine had a slightly different name and also I only just noticed for the first time ever some weird geography about that shrine, I guess I must have missed it the other times. Now to just take a confident and carefree step forward.....
I got bamboozled SO HARD by that shrine because i was looking at posts while waiting for the loading screen and, as such, completely missed the name

its such a funny gag though

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's no problem, I'll just glide over and climb u... oh no!

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Space Fish posted:

I stuck the logs together into a lopsided wooden boulder, rolled down the cliff just fine.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Steve Yun posted:

Actual spoiler for newcomers:

she was there from the very beginning

She's so wiggly. I love her

I wish she didn't change back but yeah there was obviously no shot they would do that

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I just realized why this thread has the Tiers icon. I'm dumb as fuc*

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just finished it with ~80%. I think the only quest I didn't bother completing was the compendium, the last one I finished was the wells one because that lady is just so pumped up about wells I'd feel bad if I didn't finish it. Patricia only gives me coordinates for the final battle so I think I got all the sidequests covered.

I don't think I enjoyed it as much as my BotW experience a couple years ago, but that's not to say I didn't have a great time with it. I liked the depths as a concept since falling in love with Made in Abyss's concept, and being able to have fun doing delver stuff is just as cool as you'd expect when it's being made by developers without a piss fetish. I didn't catch on to the depths being an inverted overworld map until way late, and it was even later that I realized lightroots were below shrines, and had their names written in backwards. Same thing with named forests being groves, I had no idea groves had special treasure, I avoided them whenever i could because of those fuckin' angry trees. Only when an X from a map guided me there I realized I had to check what I missed at all the other named spots.

Can someone gimme a page for the timeline discussion nerds that's probably happened already, it seems like the events in the past were sort of a retelling of OoT, which I thought was kind of cool.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Coxswain Balls posted:

I had no idea groves had special treasure

what

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The depths needed something to let you know that in the dark the rock you're scaling isn't surmountable, because the camera does a bad job holding it's orientation.
Like how bedrock in minecraft lets you know you can't climb it, maybe there there should have been matching stalagmites so from the surface you'd know.

The depths was also cool when you got there organically, I remember solving a labrynth and diving from the sky into the underground but the underground really suffered from the scale. Too Samey.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

HootTheOwl posted:

The depths needed something to let you know that in the dark the rock you're scaling isn't surmountable

There is that. you look at the surface map

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Like how every mine has a chest, every named grove has a treasure inside a big bowl shaped tree trunk. You can usually pick them out on the map once you know what you're looking for, they're the C shaped features in groves. Usually have just a big crystalline charge, but I've found outfit parts in a bunch of them.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

HootTheOwl posted:

The depths was also cool when you got there organically, I remember solving a labrynth and diving from the sky into the underground but the underground really suffered from the scale. Too Samey.

Yeah this is my biggest complaint about the game by far. They really should’ve done something to vary the biomes of the Depths. The first time I went down there, I was in awe of how weird and spooky everything was. I thought “whoa, I can’t wait to see what kind of strange stuff is down here”. Turns out, I saw it all right away. The aesthetic is extremely cool, but there’s only the one look. Takes all the fun out of exploring the Depths because there are so few surprises.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

They sorta did it with the Death Mountain area and parts of the Gerudo depths, but yeah it's pretty samey. I'm glad I didn't realize what the deal was with the depths until like 200 hours in so there was plenty of darkness to keep me on my toes, but once I realized what was going on I spent a solid week on an expedition from lightroot to lightroot all on foot which was pretty fun. After finishing up I finally used the Hero's Path and found that yeah, compared to the surface there just wasn't a lot trying to grab hold of my curiosity like on the surface to entice me to explore past specific points of interest. Overworld was squiggles all over the place, while the depths was more connect the dots.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

There is that. you look at the surface map

It doesn't line up right because they start the ramping up before you hit the barrier.

Coxswain Balls posted:

They sorta did it with the Death Mountain area and parts of the Gerudo depths, but yeah it's pretty samey.
And those were some of the best parts of the depths, random lava zones.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The neat thing is they aren't random, any place with lava in the depths had some sort of hot spring that would heal you on the surface.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

The depths needed something to let you know that in the dark the rock you're scaling isn't surmountable, because the camera does a bad job holding it's orientation.
Like how bedrock in minecraft lets you know you can't climb it, maybe there there should have been matching stalagmites so from the surface you'd know.

According to a book in one of the yiga forts, unscalable walls can be determined by stalactites hanging down when you look up at them. I found this yiga fort way late, when I had already lit up the entire Depths, so I don't know how visible the stalactites are from the ground when it is darker.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

The neat thing is they aren't random, any place with lava in the depths had some sort of hot spring that would heal you on the surface.

Are you loving making GBS threads me

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Just Andi Now posted:

I'm afraid getting into them without activating them might be too difficult for our glitch-hunting friends.

Speed runners are absolute psychopaths and will eventually find any possible thing to exploit, even if it requires frame perfect timing. Maybe it's impossible but I wouldn't put anything past them :v:

Inferior Third Season posted:

According to a book in one of the yiga forts, unscalable walls can be determined by stalactites hanging down when you look up at them. I found this yiga fort way late, when I had already lit up the entire Depths, so I don't know how visible the stalactites are from the ground when it is darker.

I think you have to be pretty high up before you can see em. But it's still a good tip

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Can’t remember if I posted this already, but someone built logic gates for a rudimentary calculator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3IKHSHVzoY

Unfortunately the limit on zonai devices you can have out means it can’t be a whole rear end Minecraft-playing computer like in Minecraft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BP7DhHTU-I

Or a medieval orbit-calculating computer like in Three Body Problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0GvSM_HevY

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Steve Yun posted:

Can’t remember if I posted this already, but someone built logic gates for a rudimentary calculator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3IKHSHVzoY

Unfortunately the limit on zonai devices you can have out means it can’t be a whole rear end Minecraft-playing computer like in Minecraft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BP7DhHTU-I

Or a medieval orbit-calculating computer like in Three Body Problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0GvSM_HevY

those aren't logic gates because they cannot be triggered by other logic components

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I know nothing about programming or modding at a game design level, I wonder if it would be feasible for a PC mod to change the limit on devices/objects you can stick together. That seems like something you could have a lot of fun with being less limited by the Switch's capability.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

It doesn't line up right because they start the ramping up before you hit the barrier.

And those were some of the best parts of the depths, random lava zones.

With very few exceptions, if you pull up the overworld map then close it so the mini-map shows the overworld layer, and start walking toward a body of water, when you can tell you're approaching the water it will for-sure be a useless climb. The main spots I can think of where it's not true are the spots that have tiny, tiny ledges to walk on, like by the Tingel islands or the area on the northwestern edge of Hebra. Those are actually really nice/cool because the lightroots on them make for extremely convenient warping before traveling in any direction

You can also lock the rotation of the mini-map in case you're having issues with the camera rotating and being disorienting. First thing I noticed and checked the settings for, I hate rotating mini-maps

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Finally finished the game last night, pretty satisfying ending to a pretty satisfying game.

But now I want to go back and watch something I avoided but can't find it now, was being posted here a couple weeks back or something. Can somebody repost whatever way somebody had managed to cheese the final Ganandorf fight?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
You can definitely cheese the fight with an inventory full of rocket shields and bomb arrows with a 3 or 5 shot bow.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

PittTheElder posted:

Finally finished the game last night, pretty satisfying ending to a pretty satisfying game.

But now I want to go back and watch something I avoided but can't find it now, was being posted here a couple weeks back or something. Can somebody repost whatever way somebody had managed to cheese the final Ganandorf fight?

code:
https://twitter.com/yukino_san_14/status/1678421578093035520?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA
Also, not cheese but very helpful: mastersword can reflect Ganondorf’s fireballs

If you can’t double/triple flurry him, bomb arrows

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 10, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:tipshat:

And yeah I didn't find the fight particularly difficult, was just curious how stupidly it could be broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
having beaten the game now it's fun reading about things I completely misunderstood

biggest one

I flew to hateno using the glider cart you find on the dueling stables mountain. I landed on a nearby mountain that had the cherryblossom tree and a spot for an offering right next to it

I gave the offering and saw the light gates pop up and I guess because I was in a flying mood I thought it was some sort of time trial thing? Like you had to fly through all the gates in a certain amount of time. Crashed my cartplane on the second one and promptly gave up and never thought about it again