Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You should definitely not skip the first Dark Tower, it’s one of the best ones. Your friend is a crazy person, no offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BiggerBoat posted:

Check out this dude right here who never read [b]the regulators /b]

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Absolutely do not skip The Gunslinger.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Punkin Spunkin posted:

My friend recommended I read the Dark Tower series next but also that I should skip the first novel as it's kinda ehhh college age King. He said I wouldn't really miss anything. yall agree?

discontinue all contact with this person immediately. Especially if they're talking about the pre-revision version.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time
That is crazy talk, the second DT book has a lot more ehhhh moments than the first

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the gunslinger is so weird and cool. the stylistic changes with the drawing of the three are stark

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Randal posted:

That is crazy talk, the second DT book has a lot more ehhhh moments than the first

What, you didn’t like when Roland got his fingers bit off by a lobster after being a stone cold badass for an entire book and almost dying from bottom feeder germs?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Tooter Fish

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i actually did not start reading The Long Walk but i did listen to an audiobook of The Mist and i did really like it.

love the fun elements of a short story, like how david is a really typical Good Dad who Loves To Do His Wife.

it was cool for me 'cause i love Half Life 1 a lot, which is said to have been inspired by this one a lot, and it was cool seeing what they pulled.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

Last Celebration posted:

What, you didn’t like when Roland got his fingers bit off by a lobster after being a stone cold badass for an entire book and almost dying from bottom feeder germs?

Yeah I loving hated that when I was 14

RCarr posted:

Tooter Fish

But then and now I loved watching sick and dying Roland try to quickly make sense of another world and pass for normal. In conclusion, the Dark Tower is a land of contrasts

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I thought Rage had a stunning prescience to it. It was not wholly an enjoyable read but I'll be damned if he didn't capture a feeling that seems to have taken over a lot of kids in the nation.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I got the second Dark Tower book for free from the pub so I guess now I either have to trade it (too much effort) or get the first one and read the whole series.

Oh well.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

DT is a fantastic 5 and a half book series

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I got the second Dark Tower book for free from the pub so I guess now I either have to trade it (too much effort) or get the first one and read the whole series.

Oh well.

Can't you just get it at a library?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Can't you just get it at a library?

I have never been able to return a library book on time and it's cost me a bunch of money.

Like, more money than a copy of the book costs.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

escape artist posted:

I thought Rage had a stunning prescience to it. It was not wholly an enjoyable read but I'll be damned if he didn't capture a feeling that seems to have taken over a lot of kids in the nation.

I feel this way about Harold Lauder in The Stand. Dude is a pitch-perfect portrait of a incel written decades before that word meant anything. I mean, guys like that have clearly always been around, but Harold is so familiar to anyone who's seen modern misogynistic nerds that it's eerie.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I have never been able to return a library book on time and it's cost me a bunch of money.

Like, more money than a copy of the book costs.

FWIW if your library has a decent ebook/downloadable audiobook infrastructure, most of those will return automatically on their due date through whatever app they use to manage those loans (like Libby).

Android Blues posted:

I feel this way about Harold Lauder in The Stand. Dude is a pitch-perfect portrait of a incel written decades before that word meant anything. I mean, guys like that have clearly always been around, but Harold is so familiar to anyone who's seen modern misogynistic nerds that it's eerie.

I reread The Stand last year after not reading it in well over a decade and yeah, I had a very similar epiphany around Harold’s character. It’s wild that King so perfectly captured the tenets of the incel movement decades before it existed (or, at the very least, entered mainstream consciousness).

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 10, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

oldpainless posted:

DT is a fantastic 5 and a half book series

I'm curious what your half good book is, because I have trouble finding a good half book between 6 and 7.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

FWIW if your library has a decent ebook/downloadable audiobook infrastructure, most of those will return automatically on their due date through whatever app they use to manage those loans (like Libby).

I reread The Stand last year after not reading it in well over a decade and yeah, I had a very similar epiphany around Harold’s character. It’s wild that King so perfectly captured the tenets of the incel movement decades before it existed (or, at the very least, entered mainstream consciousness).

Yeah you should look into the Libby app. My library has almost every King audiobook available through the Libby app, and it automatically returns. I don't think it's capable of incurring late fees.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
More and more library systems are switching to fine-free systems now too, but yeah ebooks are where it's at.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm curious what your half good book is, because I have trouble finding a good half book between 6 and 7.

Maybe the novella?

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Just finished DT book 3, which I enjoyed quite a bit! I did not enjoy when it looked like Oy was going to get killed while helping rescue Jake but thankfully it was just a misdirect. My local library has the whole thing available and very little foot traffic cause I live in a small town, so I'm going to try and get through the rest of the series over the next little while.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^ End of Wastelands might've been where I was enjoying the series the most

graventy posted:

Maybe the novella?
Wind Through The Keyhole was gonna be my guess, too. I liked 1-5 and that one. Wolves was obviously a ripoff of a famous movie, but it's a great movie so I didn't really mind the "homage"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don’t count Wind through the keyhole as part of the main series but I meant more that I feel like big chunks of 5 and 7 could be taken out and a huge part of 6 could be eliminated. Editing could have saved around 400 pages between these last three books.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm like 700 years old and I will never listen to an audiobook until I go blind, and I consider e-books an American poo poo fad that I hate, like 3D-printing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I can read faster by myself than other people can read aloud, so audiobooks just tend to make me insanely impatient, and I hate reading books on a screen. I need some pages to flip or it just doesn't engage me the same way, most of the time, I will only read an "e-book"(what I presume sane people call a .PDF file?) if there's no other option.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I can read faster by myself than other people can read aloud, so audiobooks just tend to make me insanely impatient, and I hate reading books on a screen. I need some pages to flip or it just doesn't engage me the same way, most of the time, I will only read an "e-book"(what I presume sane people call a .PDF file?) if there's no other option.

Ur me.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm like 700 years old and I will never listen to an audiobook until I go blind, and I consider e-books an American poo poo fad that I hate, like 3D-printing.

What if you could listen to DT read by Stephen King?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Randal posted:

You know what, I have no idea what he sounds like.

But anyway I want trees to die.

And obviously I'm dumb as poo poo.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Randal posted:

Yep. You gotta hear him do Detta's voice.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Or you could just, you know, renew it. My local library is great. It's close by, it's free, they'll reserve or have books sent over from other branches and text or email me when it's in.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Or you could just, you know, renew it. My local library is great. It's close by, it's free, they'll reserve or have books sent over from other branches and text or email me when it's in.

Oh totally, but sometimes (actually often times, in my experience) you don’t have the option to renew because there’s other people waiting.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I used to listen to audiobooks occasionally when I worked a labor job that had me working independently and not needing to hear anything or concentrate for 8 hours. There's only so many interesting podcasts out there.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I like audiobooks of books that I’ve already read. They’re easy to listen to in the car because because I already know the story, so I don’t mind just pausing them when I get where I’m going, going a few days without listening to them, etc. I also don’t mind the slower pace that much, because I’m revisiting an old favorite where I already know what happens next.

When I tried an audiobook of a book I’d never read before I found it just didn’t work for me. Didn’t want to listen on a short drive, didn’t want to pause in the middle of a good part when I got to the grocery store, etc.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
It's an adjustment when you're used to print books. My move to audiobooks wasn't entirely by choice though. I have pain problems that can even make holding a book uncomfortable. When I have the option, immersion reading (audiobook being read while the ebook highlights the text that is being read) is a lot of fun, but you gotta buy two copies of a book. Anyway, audiobook discrimination is ableist and that's a hill I'll die on.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i started listening to Misery. i like it so far though sometimes i have to make myself stop because it makes me very very anxious lol

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

oldpainless posted:

I don’t count Wind through the keyhole as part of the main series but I meant more that I feel like big chunks of 5 and 7 could be taken out and a huge part of 6 could be eliminated. Editing could have saved around 400 pages between these last three books.

Yeah there's some good stuff in the last 3 that could've made up one decent book and then set it up for a proper finish. Book 5 suffered immensely from the slice of life stuff plus the very bad HP references.

Refining things down to the major beats - Thunderclap, Mordred, the breaker factory showdown, and the final tower revelation - are what would get my vote to keep. Everything else was disappointing or cringey at best.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 12, 2023

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020
Maybe add some spoiler tags to those beats, sai (especially as this all started with questions from a new DT reader).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've been listening to audiobooks my entire life cuz I can't see well at all.

It's been a while since I got into King but I'm very fortunate so many of his audiobooks are fantastic. Like, would I love The Shining and IT as much as I do if the narrator wasn't super perfect? Maybe not. Under the Dome wasn't quite as "theatrical" as those two but was still good and no doubt contributed to how much I loved the book (I bring it up because it was the last big King book I read for the first time and some of the Audible reviews poo poo on the narrator)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

landgrabber posted:

i started listening to Misery. i like it so far though sometimes i have to make myself stop because it makes me very very anxious lol

I think Misery is low-key one of King's best books. I'd put it top 3 even, above Pet Sematary, Salem's Lot, and pretty much anything post-sobriety. On a first read it's absolutely terrifying and sickening, but on a second read with a little distance I think it's one of the best books there is about writing fiction, even better than On Writing. And it doesn't waste any words at all, which for King is really saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I agree to an extent only because I found the fiction in fiction really tedious to read through. Misery's great though.

And yeah I faintly remembered yall being pretty high on the gunslinger, honestly it'd be weird of me to skip the first book even if it were mediocre...probably gonna start once I finish Everything's Eventual tonight.