Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dango Bango posted:

Cut into discs via mandolin (protect fingats) and sauté with onions and garlic. Salt and pepper to taste. Grate parmesan cheese on top once finished.
I used the mandolin to make zucchini salad on Friday. The guard is your friend, use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CannonFodder posted:

I used the mandolin to make zucchini salad on Friday. The guard is your friend, use it.

I'm curious about cut resistant gloves and mandolins. I have not done this myself. It seems like a good idea without bothering about the guard, but I don't know how the gloves hold up.

And I don't need to experiment on myself, I barely get away with enough things that could harm me in other ways.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

gently caress

https://twitter.com/napoleonmovie/status/1678373506453749760?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1678382663139246082

Does the guy that did the stabbing still get the cigs?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Good.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

loving Hollywood and their remakes. Cinema will never top the pocket tater tots scene, I'm sorry

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

shirts and skins posted:

loving Hollywood and their remakes. Cinema will never top the pocket tater tots scene, I'm sorry

I think we've developed CGI enough to see Uncle Rico throw the ball triumphantly over the Swiss Alps!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Haven't actually hit up the arcade museum yet but I did get the high score on a Ms. Pac Man machine at a little arcade by the beach. :owned:

They muat shut this one off every night because that's a terrible high score. World record is in the millions. still about 10k better than whoever got there before me!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

dirty shrimp money posted:

Oh nooooooooo

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Okay now do Sandusky and the corpse of Paterno

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Ridley Scott behind the camera and Phoenix as the lead? It'll at least be well done, so I'll see it.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Will forever be sad we didn’t get that Kubrick Napoleon movie. Love Barry Lyndon but it’s not the same

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD and a tow package

36k miles

Parents’ neighbors car. Dad is a big car guy and says it’s in perfect shape. They took care of it, didn’t really use it that much.

They want 23k for it

Would let me complete the Asheville experience. Make it easier to get poo poo from Lowe’s, could tow a small trailer to haul off poo poo to the dump, would let me throw some bikes or poo poo on top. Would have to finance it probably.

Smash or pass

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

FizFashizzle posted:

36k miles

Parents’ neighbors car. Dad is a big car guy and says it’s in perfect shape. They took care of it, didn’t really use it that much.

They want 23k for it

Would let me complete the Asheville experience. Make it easier to get poo poo from Lowe’s, could tow a small trailer to haul off poo poo to the dump, would let me throw some bikes or poo poo on top. Would have to finance it probably.

Smash or pass

I loving love my 2017 Crosstrek, works like a dream, and that price for that low mileage sounds great, but I also know literally nothing about cars so grain of salt and all

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Amy Pole Her posted:

Ridley Scott behind the camera and Phoenix as the lead? It'll at least be well done, so I'll see it.

Also it’s coming out on Thanksgiving, so that’ll probably be an easy way to relax that Saturday or a week later.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

FizFashizzle posted:

36k miles

They want 23k for it

Smash or pass

That's really low mileage, we gave our 2016 HR-V with about 30k miles to my son and his family a few months ago to help them out....how would financing work for a private party sale?

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
23k for a 7 year old car still seems a bit steep to me but with that little mileage and add-ons I think you could justify it.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Get that engine checked out by a mechanic before you buy it, preferably a Subaru guy, and if it's good then it's a smash. That's awesome mileage, and it being a few years old is good too at least from my perspective I don't care for all the turbos in these new model cars.

The four cylinder boxer engines are better than the sixes but they've had a lot of issues this century, mainly the head gasket. I think I heard they resolved that issue around 2014 or 2015 though, so a 2016 might be great. Subarus are also notorious for getting issues if you don't follow its maintenance schedule to a T and use something other than their coolant, so keep up on those.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 10, 2023

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
In todays used price market that isnt bad I also want an Outback

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Manoueverable posted:

23k for a 7 year old car still seems a bit steep to me but with that little mileage and add-ons I think you could justify it.

That’s a really good deal for a 7 year old car, in the context of this brave new world of pandemic price gouging

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ornery and Hornery posted:

That’s a really good deal for a 7 year old car, in the context of this brave new world of pandemic price gouging

I'm REALLY not looking forward to buying my daughter a car in the next year and a half.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Love my wife’s ‘21 Outback. Got a lot of pep even going up hill and enough space to haul a lot of poo poo.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Use CarGurus and look up comparisons

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Yeah car prices are loving pants-on-head hosed right now. Particularly used cars.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Subarus are also notorious for getting issues if you don't follow its maintenance schedule to a T and use something other than their coolant, so keep up on those.

As not a car guy other than having old beaters that can get me from one place to another (and has used distilled water as a coolant in one that had a super leak in a pinch) how does an engine develop a refined taste for a certain coolant?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah car prices are loving pants-on-head hosed right now. Particularly used cars.

They’ve significantly declined since March.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
23k is a good to great deal. Closest comparison - and obviously that mileage is hard to find so closest comp is double the mileage lol

Thought you might be interested in this CarGurus listing:
2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited - $20,704 (undefined)
Mileage: 70,825
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/link/360516741

If it passes an ASE mechanic inspection then buy it asap and enjoy

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FizFashizzle posted:

36k miles

They want 23k for it

Smash or pass

I have the 2015 version of this car and I like it. Very few issues, but the most annoying one is I usually have to add oil in between oil changes. This was a common problem with Subarus, and I don't know if it was fixed in the 2016 version. Keep in mind the towing load is very small, 1,500 lbs. You can do a really small trailer, or bikes, but don't think you can haul a camper or something.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

As not a car guy other than having old beaters that can get me from one place to another (and has used distilled water as a coolant in one that had a super leak in a pinch) how does an engine develop a refined taste for a certain coolant?

Apparently if you use regular engine coolant in a Subaru it eats away at the engine seals. Whether that's just bad design or evil design trapping owners into OEM coolant, who knows.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I tracked used car prices for like 6 months, hoping they’d go down. They never did.

Then I realized Carmax was giving stupid amounts to buy cars, so I just sold my overpriced car to them and bought another overpriced car with the cash they gave me.

Carvana is doing the same thing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Every now and then I look up what my car would go for on the used market and the used car market is still crazy. My 2014 Mazda 3 hatch with 105k miles could probably get $13k-14k. A couple years ago it'd be in the $10k range.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

seiferguy posted:

Every now and then I look up what my car would go for on the used market and the used car market is still crazy. My 2014 Mazda 3 hatch with 105k miles could probably get $13k-14k. A couple years ago it'd be in the $10k range.

Yeah 4 years ago I bought a 2018 Focus ST for 21k.

I just sold it to Carmax for 23k lol.

Cars as appreciating assets? Who knew!

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I've been trying to buy and get rid of my old beater of a car for like 6 months and I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger. Before prices started to drop I was pretty much convinced of buying new and just making sure I'd get financing, but now I have no idea which is really better. And I'm just looking for a simple sedan like a Civic.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The only other thing I have to add about Subaru Outbacks is to check and see if you can change the headlight bulbs yourself. I think it was changed with the 2016 line, but before when the lamp burned out in my mom's 2014 Outback, we had to go to the dealer or a shop to get it replaced, because you have to remove the front R/L fender to get access to the casing, which is incredibly dumb. I doubt that would be a reason not to buy this car, but is something to be aware of in the future.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Might be regional?

I bought my truck used in July 2020 for 28k with 24k miles, and the same truck and year with my current mileage (70k) is selling for 34k locally. Pretty nuts.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Amy Pole Her posted:

I've been keeping an eye out and used still seems v inflated around here in general. I'd prefer a gently used care but they all seem higher than new still. New cars are hit or miss -- I think I'm going to pick up a mazda cx-50. It seems like what I'm looking for and they are actually at MSRP with some incentives vs the 4Runners which are an aging chassis and now 10k more than they were last year, not even including the extra 5k the local dealership is tacking on.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Apparently if you use regular engine coolant in a Subaru it eats away at the engine seals. Whether that's just bad design or evil design trapping owners into OEM coolant, who knows.

:tinfoil: reason would be to punish people who do their own maintenance but will take it in for major repairs (maybe not completely distinct from your second reason, but taken to its full conclusion)

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

I don't know if it has changed now since my wife and have both purchased our car for the decade recently enough that I don't pay attention anymore, but for a long time in COVID used cars were more expensive than new. There was a wait for new cars, and used were in such short supply it became a financial punishment for people who couldn't wait.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Keep in mind that subaru probably has a CVT. Which is OK but don't plan on using it to haul much weight in a trailer very often, that'll roach the CVT and they're more costly to repair than a manual. The outback looks like a small SUV but don't treat it like one when it comes to hauling, read the manual and never go over the max tow weight. It's a very good car but the CVT was a deal killer for us when we were shopping for a light SUV with tow capacity a couple years ago. If it has a manual, jump on that, but I think by 2016 they stopped selling manual outbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Might be regional?

I bought my truck used in July 2020 for 28k with 24k miles, and the same truck and year with my current mileage (70k) is selling for 34k locally. Pretty nuts.

Miami is a weird market so you may be right. I’m tracking a few cars via copart and all the comps are declining (naturally since i really need them to go UP!)