Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

tuyop posted:

Yeah the headphones with that apple chip in them work like magic and are the promised land of Bluetooth things imo. Like I haven’t tried to reconnect them to any device, PC or Linux or whatever, and had it take longer than 20 seconds, across all makes and models, regardless of how long ago the last connection was.

But of course it’s even faster and more seamless if you have all apple poo poo.

If you bounce between a phone and a Mac a lot they can sometimes get confused when connecting to the Mac (or just take long enough where it doesn't quite feel as magic as a should), but yeah, they're a huge leap over anything else in the category.

To the poster asking for earbud recs - yeah, AirPod pros 2 are really the best and don't have any of the first gen issues. I understand if you don't want to go apple having been burned on your first gen ones though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The beats earbuds also have the Apple chip in them, don't they? I haven't tried them but maybe they would be worth a shot.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

The beats earbuds also have the Apple chip in them, don't they? I haven't tried them but maybe they would be worth a shot.

Not since the Beats Pros. The more recent Beats don’t have the W1 chip (no idea why other than assumed cost savings).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Not since the Beats Pros. The more recent Beats don’t have the W1 chip (no idea why other than assumed cost savings).

What? That’s a really dumb move! I guess I’ll use these studio 3s until they crumble in my hands.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah they aren’t perfect, but they’re a lot closer to magic than standard Bluetooth

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Duckman2008 posted:

They use the H chips like the new Apple poo poo too. Any beats product you can buy will have whatever chip they use to connect to all your Apple poo poo automatically. The biggest different with beats stuff is mixed support for the fancy apple poo poo like spatial audio.

Edit: interesting. The only beats product I can find that doesn’t mention an H or W chip are the studio buds. Which is weird because it supports quick paring and Hey Siri, so it’s should have one of those chips.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 8, 2023

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i know apple's known for its stellar refurbished reselling program. hell, i've bought a few computers from it and they've all been as good as new. but what about refurbished apple products sold at best buy? are those actually refurbished by apple? i'm guessing best buy does the refurbishing there?

i ask because i'm looking to get a new/refurbished iphone 11 and apple doesn't have any refurbished ones in stock. maybe they will soon? i know they're announcing a new model in september like they always do. is it likely they get more units in around then? or would they just discontinue selling 11s at the same time they announce?

i suppose a refurbished iphone 12 mini would work too, but apple's out of stock of those too.

i'd be moving from my iphone 13 if that matters.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 8, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

You do you but I think it’s a huge waste of money to downgrade to a nearly 4 year old model.

The age of the phone is also why Apple doesn’t have any in their refurb store.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mawarannahr posted:

The Powerbeats Pro and the Beats Fit Pro have the Apple H1 chip.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

abelwingnut posted:

i know apple's known for its stellar refurbished reselling program. hell, i've bought a few computers from it and they've all been as good as new. but what about refurbished apple products sold at best buy? are those actually refurbished by apple? i'm guessing best buy does the refurbishing there?

i ask because i'm looking to get a new/refurbished iphone 11 and apple doesn't have any refurbished ones in stock. maybe they will soon? i know they're announcing a new model in september like they always do. is it likely they get more units in around then? or would they just discontinue selling 11s at the same time they announce?

i suppose a refurbished iphone 12 mini would work too, but apple's out of stock of those too.

i'd be moving from my iphone 13 if that matters.

Why do you want to go from a 13 to an 11? Serious question.

I'll trade you, straight up :haw:. I'll even pay to replace the battery before shipping.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Refurbished stuff at Best Buy is all “Geek Squad refurbished”, nothing from Apple themselves. I’ve bought a few things from geek squad refurbished and had mixed results from basically new to pretty trashed.

The only other company I’ve seen sell refurbished-by-Apple products is, surprisingly, Woot.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

well, my 13 is pretty busted thanks to a fall during a hiking trip. i need a new one soon, and realized i just don't use my phone that much. i really just send a couple text messages per week, have a call every other week, and plop in addresses for driving. i guess i do some ubering and banking on there, but those don't seem resource intensive in any way. i absolutely do zero gaming.

so i figured i could get by with a way older model, and that would save a decent amount of cash.

that was the logic, at least.

like, honestly, i would probably be looking to downgrade to a non-smartphone if not for waze and uber.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 8, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

What’s the cost for an out of warranty repair? Weigh that against an old refurb phone.

If it were me I would just bite the bullet and get a 14 or SE3 w/ Apple care, assuming you need a phone right now

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why has my iPad defaulted to 2x playback speed on videos all of a sudden

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why has my iPad defaulted to 2x playback speed on videos all of a sudden

It knows your time is running short and is doing you a solid by letting you consume twice as much media before your doom. Sorry.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

SlowBloke posted:

I replaced them two times in the first year(using the original seller), a third time at the end of the second that counted as using the recall (using the apple store since the original store told me i was scamming them with all the repair requests and denied me). Adding applecare would meant that for another hundo i would have gotten another set today that would have lasted barely in next year given the average lifetime recorded until now.

Again this is really not adding up super well. I’m still going to defend Apple here and yes the buds are overpriced but they’re a good product and Apple provides decent warranty support at a minimum.

If you want different buds that’s on you but Apple is not the biggest issue here.

You also have to acknowledge, several of your experiences have been far away from the norm experience. Why do you think that’s the case?

I also probably wouldn’t take this kind of product back to a seller for return or any non Apple support as you did, unless it was dead on arrival.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tuyop posted:

God nws your sext wallpaper plz

Can't help it, see cross bedding like that and I lose all restraint.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Jose Oquendo posted:

What’s the cost for an out of warranty repair? Weigh that against an old refurb phone.

If it were me I would just bite the bullet and get a 14 or SE3 w/ Apple care, assuming you need a phone right now

To add to this, you’ll often get some really good deals on new iPhones from carriers in the last few months before each new one comes out, at least here in Australia, I’m guessing the same is true elsewhere.

For example, here in Aus right now an iPhone 14 is $1399; and one of our major carriers Vodafone is offering $650 off the cost of any new iPhone if you sign up to the $59 a month 100gb BYOD plan and $1100 off the cost of a new iPhone if you sign up for the $79 a month 150gb BYOD plan - those are pretty normal plans for folks to have here and that’s a ridiculous saving.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It knows your time is running short and is doing you a solid by letting you consume twice as much media before your doom. Sorry.

😢

No but seriously it’s annoying and restarting the iPad doesn’t fix it. Setting 1 video back to 1x doesn’t fix it either. The next video is back at 2x.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hello. I haven’t heard anything about the iPhone 15 getting 120hz displays, just that they might get the dynamic island (which I can’t really get myself excited about, other than timers for when I do my laundry). Not entirely sure if I want to cough up another another $200 for a higher refresh rate to match my iPad Pro and my desktop monitor. The extra weight of the 14 Pro vs the 14 is something I’m not thrilled about. Have any of your 14 Pro havers felt like the 14 was more than enough?

I’m coming from a XR, so the upcoming 15 and 15 Pro are gonna feel like decent upgrades I think. I dunno where I’m going with this post. I don’t wanna get a 15 and then be like “man i would really enjoy that fluid display” or get the 15 Pro and feel the sting in my wallet and be like “I don’t need this much phone”.

Open to all your suggestions and jeering

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

buglord posted:

Hello. I haven’t heard anything about the iPhone 15 getting 120hz displays, just that they might get the dynamic island (which I can’t really get myself excited about, other than timers for when I do my laundry). Not entirely sure if I want to cough up another another $200 for a higher refresh rate to match my iPad Pro and my desktop monitor. The extra weight of the 14 Pro vs the 14 is something I’m not thrilled about. Have any of your 14 Pro havers felt like the 14 was more than enough?

I’m coming from a XR, so the upcoming 15 and 15 Pro are gonna feel like decent upgrades I think. I dunno where I’m going with this post. I don’t wanna get a 15 and then be like “man i would really enjoy that fluid display” or get the 15 Pro and feel the sting in my wallet and be like “I don’t need this much phone”.

You're putting way too much thought into phone that isn't going to be released for a couple months, and we don't know a loving thing about it. I mean the only thing you can say with any certainty is that it will have a USB-C port.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
which is funnily enough, the thing im excited about most (aside from better performance, battery life, other expected things). low light photos are gonna be cool too. you're right though, long way to september, but its still fun to think about in the meantime.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

You never know, but Apple has no real incentive to put the 120hz in the 15 when a majority of people look at $200 difference and go "I’ll pay the $200 extra for the better camera and refresh rate , especially if my carrier is offering no interest financing anyway."

If you’re happy with a XR the theoretical 15 will of course be a major upgrade at this point. It’s up to you if you went to pay $200 more for the camera and refresh rate upgrades. I personally pay it, camera difference is noticeable imo and I’m not even a camera person.

Think of it this way, you use the thing all day every day, $200 isn’t a big difference given the usage.

Apple is really good at up selling.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah for how critical my phone is for my day to day it seems very silly to short change myself. Unless you’re in a financial situation where every dollar matters get the best model available.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I wouldn’t expect to see 120hz on the non pro phones for a while.

At the very least it would be nice to have maybe 90hz or something on those devices.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

buglord posted:

I’ve recently moved from an XR to a 14(non pro). The main value is the better cameras plus more capabilities for the ml cores to do basic day to day image enhancement. Extra ram and better screens being useful depends on your daily routine. I jumped on a new device before the 15 since every Apple device I own is lightning so usb-c is an extra cable type to carry around(plus the price dropped below the 800€ psychological barrier).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm mildly annoyed I bought new Airpods Pro since they have Lightning and I'd really like to move as much stuff to USB-C as possible, but I guess I'm stuck with Lightning for awhile. (I would be, anyway, since between the AppleTV remote, PowerBeats Pro, and probably some other random things, I'll need it anyway, but I would really like to not carry Lightning on travel if I can avoid it.)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Heres how out of the loop I am, I didnt realize that the pro models came with 120hz screens.

drat YOU Tim Apple, you've got my money come September

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Endless Mike posted:

I'm mildly annoyed I bought new Airpods Pro since they have Lightning and I'd really like to move as much stuff to USB-C as possible, but I guess I'm stuck with Lightning for awhile. (I would be, anyway, since between the AppleTV remote, PowerBeats Pro, and probably some other random things, I'll need it anyway, but I would really like to not carry Lightning on travel if I can avoid it.)

If you have AirPods Pro gen 2, just charge them with your Apple Watch charger when traveling.

(You have an Apple Watch, right?)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

If you have AirPods Pro gen 2, just charge them with your Apple Watch charger when traveling.

(You have an Apple Watch, right?)

I didn't know you could do that! Good to know!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

They're MagSafe so you can also use the iPhone MagSafe charger too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

They're MagSafe so you can also use the iPhone MagSafe charger too.

Gen 1 Pros will do this too

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Gen 1 Pros will do this too

Some of them. They did a slight refresh on the first gen. Same AirPods, different case.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Heres how out of the loop I am, I didnt realize that the pro models came with 120hz screens.

drat YOU Tim Apple, you've got my money come September

It made me switch from the 12 Mini to a 13 Pro. Haven’t felt the need to update anymore. Probably not till the 16 or something?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For those who went from the mini to the non-mini, did you get used to the size or is it still annoying? How about mini to Pro?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Got used to it pretty quick, the pro motion is what sold me.

I’d still switch to a mini pro though, don’t give a poo poo how bad the battery would be.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

smackfu posted:

For those who went from the mini to the non-mini, did you get used to the size or is it still annoying? How about mini to Pro?

the mini battery life was more annoying to me than the size of the biggest iphone

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Honestly today's "regular" size still feels a bit too big for me, after 4 years of use (I went from the 2016 SE to an 11 Pro). I'd love to go small again but I think the higher storage and battery capacity are always gonna get me.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I thought the pro screen was only 90hz

Still I kinda don't care, like it looks smoother but when I look at my work phone or my ipad I'm never like 'oh this looks so bad' so idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i have a 120hz display on my laptop and mostly don't notice it. sometimes a menu will open real smooth or something and i'll be like oh that's nice but it's not a feature i'd pay a premium for. maybe it makes more difference on an oled display idk