Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Beachcomber posted:

Ok, so the question is when the notice is coming. If it's coming at dinner time, that's like an hour delay on dinner every day, which sucks.

Is it coming at lunch time? He's probably supposed to be working, not planning dinner reservations and transportation.

Breakfast? The same.

Which leaves: 'Hey, maybe decide the day before if you want to go somewhere different? Please?'

Going to dinner via public transportation requires little to no planning. It's all designed to be more-or-less on demand, you just board it and go to the place you're going. The need for reservations varies from place to place but usually if you go in the middle of the week your going to be able to just walk in to the vast majority of places.

Traveling an hour to dinner every day obviously isn't going to work for most people, but if that's what's going on he didn't mention it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for refusing to give my fiancée a cursed engagement ring?

quote:

My family has a beautiful 22k gold, 6 carat sapphire ring, that originally belonged to my great grandmother and was passed down. Everybody that wore it suffered some sort of misfortune— untimely death of themselves or husbands/children, financial ruin, infidelity of partner, etc. Hence overtime people in the family began to believe it was cursed, and although we still own it, nobody has worn it in years.

My fiancée absolutely adores sapphires, and loves the ring. She doesn’t believe in the superstition, and knows nobody else in the family wants the ring, so asked me to give it to her as an engagement present.

I’m not much of a believer in superstition either, but given that every person that wore this ring had something moderately bad to really bad happen to them, why risk it? I have the means to buy another sapphire engagement ring, one that doesn't have a potential curse on it.

My fiancée thinks this makes me TA because I’m letting a really quality ring go to waste just because of superstition. Maybe, but again, I don’t see the need to tempt fate. Does this make me TA?

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Using transit absolutely takes planning, especially if you are taking a bus you don't usually take. Like you're going want to check a schedule and maybe a map to see where the stops are.

I think OPs phrasing is funny but I don't think "hey let me know the night before if you want to go somewhere farther away" is an unreasonable request.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Why do you still own the cursed ring? It belongs in a parking garage basement for adventurers to loot

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

this is how like 60% of horror stories start.

AITA for "forcing" my diet onto my boyfriend?

quote:

I (24M) have been with my boyfriend (27M) for two months now and for my mother’s birthday, we were invited over to my parents’ house for dinner.

I’m a vegan and so are all of my close relatives. My boyfriend loves eating meat and dairy. It’s not what I choose to do, but he’s an adult and gets to make his own decisions. I’ve never dictated him to eat in a certain way before.

It’s the first time my parents are having us over for more than drinks and snacks, and my mother had spent days preparing everything for a perfect evening.

When I talked to my boyfriend about all those meals my mother was cooking, he seemed a bit upset about the lack of meat (it’s a vegan household and every guest except for him is at the very least a vegetarian, what did he expect?). I assured him that there would be plenty of option he liked (pasta salad, baked potatoes, soups, beans, lentils, loads of cake…).

In response, he’d told me he’d just bring some steak for himself to make it "bearable".

I asked him not to do that because I think that bringing your own food to a dinner party when there is plenty of food available is fairly rude (obviously, that doesn’t apply to allergies or extremely picky eaters). I found it especially disrespectful because my parents can’t stand the smell of meat, so bringing meat into their household is blatantly ignoring their boundaries.

I explained all of that to him and he got huffy and argued that I didn’t mind him eating meat near me. Yeah, that’s true, but it isn’t about me but about my parents, who have invited us inside their home and just because I’m comfortable with something doesn’t mean that they have to be.

In the end, he agreed to not take any steak with him but he told me I was being too pushy about our lifestyle and that it was no surprise "no one liked vegans" and called me an AH for forcing him to not eat meat (for a single evening).

I love steak as much as the next guy but even I can go a day without meat.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

What an rear end in a top hat. Isn't sitting through one unpalatable meal without being a whiny little dweeb about it a skill everyone has to learn? I know when I got to visit someone's relatives I expect to be served the blandest americana dreck but hope to be pleasantly surprised

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Going to dinner via public transportation requires little to no planning.

If you're living somewhere like NYC or London, sure, and even then if you're not on the outskirts. It's a whole lot less 'on demand' anywhere less concentrated than that.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Cowslips Warren posted:

in comments english is not her first language so i give her a pass.

AITA because I told my sister that I don’t like her baby’s name and refused to monogram the name on anything?

this person is nicer than I am bc I'd absolutely be adding to the family text 'you know, lyle menendez, THE MURDERER' and starting poo poo

family deserves to know who they're secretly stanning bc I think most people would be rightly disgusted to know they are involved in honoring a killer

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
"don't ask questions or criticize little adolph's name, just be happy for me!!!"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

StrangersInTheNight posted:

this person is nicer than I am bc I'd absolutely be adding to the family text 'you know, lyle menendez, THE MURDERER' and starting poo poo

family deserves to know who they're secretly stanning bc I think most people would be rightly disgusted to know they are involved in honoring a killer

Obviously the solution is to embroider "lyle menendez, the murderer" on all the stuff you're making

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

haveblue posted:

Obviously the solution is to embroider "lyle menendez, the murderer" on all the stuff you're making

And on the back "Yes, THAT Menendez"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
isn't Netflix doing a series, like they did on Dahmer, on those two? I just can't see how that can carry more than 2-3 episodes.

AITA for telling my co-worker she shouldn't have had children because of her attitude?

quote:

Up until recently I (19F) worked in a kitchen in a small restaurant with this one co-worker "Stacy" (23F) and maybe 5 others. We were a small team and we all worked pretty well together, but because Stacy has a young son (2) with down syndrome and a heart condition and a 9 month-old daughter, she never attends any of our social gatherings after work, which means not many of us know a great deal about her except what she chooses to share with us whenever we're not busy.

As a result, it was a big surprise to us all when she told us she had applied for maternity leave again as she is pregnant and will be having her third child next year. Regardless, everyone was pretty excited for her and we all congratulated her and my boss told her he hoped she would have another healthy baby.

Here's when the AITA part comes in. She got very snappy with him and told him it didn't matter, and that she wasn't going to let her family's history of health conditions affect whether she's going to have another baby, which is totally fine, so when she was back on the line with me I tried to sympathize with her and said that he shouldn't have asked that. We chatted about it for a bit until she mentioned that it doesn't matter that most of her kids will probably be disabled anyway since her daughter is healthy and can love and look after them "As soon as she's old enough."

I must've given her a funny look because she said "What?" when she saw my face, and I told her (delicately) it wasn't really fair to expect her daughter to be a caregiver, and that if she was going to have more children with a high risk of disability she should have something else in place. She told me I was being ableist which, admittedly, annoyed me more than it should've and I told her with an attitude like her's she shouldn't have had kids in the first place. I said that her daughter wouldn't live a good life if she constantly had to provide care for her siblings, and Stacy started crying and told me she was just doing what she could to have the family she wanted.

I apologized for the remark but stand by my point, and now our other co-workers aren't speaking to me. AITA?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Beachcomber posted:

Ok, so the question is when the notice is coming. If it's coming at dinner time, that's like an hour delay on dinner every day, which sucks.

Is it coming at lunch time? He's probably supposed to be working, not planning dinner reservations and transportation.

Breakfast? The same.

Which leaves: 'Hey, maybe decide the day before if you want to go somewhere different? Please?'

Lunchtime is about the ideal time to be making special dinner plans, really. You shouldn't be working, especially if your lunch is unpaid. Texts are pretty quick as long as both parties are paying attention, and even a quick "hey I want to go somewhere different for supper" text any time before lunch can make it easier to accommodate, both physically and mentally. I know I'd hate it if I came home from work and my SO immediately hit me with an "I want to go to a restaurant 45 minutes away for supper" without knowing in advance.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

JackSplater posted:

I know I'd hate it if I came home from work and my SO immediately hit me with an "I want to go to a restaurant 45 minutes away for supper" without knowing in advance.

I'm not a spontaneous person and I love routine. It would ruin my night if I came home from work expecting dinner at the usual time and my SO wanted to tack on an hour to go get dinner somewhere far away.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Cowslips Warren posted:

isn't Netflix doing a series, like they did on Dahmer, on those two? I just can't see how that can carry more than 2-3 episodes.

I would guess they’ll lean into the angle of examining the family’s life pre-murders and asking whether the brothers’ portrait of their dad as horribly abusive holds true.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Pirate Radar posted:

I would guess they’ll lean into the angle of examining the family’s life pre-murders and asking whether the brothers’ portrait of their dad as horribly abusive holds true.

Lyle Menendez owned a (still operational and very well liked?) Chicken restaurant in my hometown so I imagine they could pad an episode talking about that

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
TIFU rating myself a 2.5/10 in terms of attractiveness

quote:

You know those videos where they approach people in public and ask you to rate yourself on a scale of 1-10? Well someone was filming one of those videos and approached me and my husband and asked us to rate ourselves. We were playing Pokémon Go earlier in the day in a busy part of the city so we decided to spend the rest of the day there walking around and shopping and had planned to get dinner later.

Husband was asked first; he’s a pretty confident guy, and extremely handsome. He rated himself an 8.5/10 which I think is accurate, actually I think he’s even a 9.5 !

Then I was asked to rate myself. I gave myself a very honest 2.5/10 . I know what I look like. I don’t hate myself and I don’t have confidence issues. I know how the rating scale works, 5 is average. I know what flaws I have and what makes me not conventionally attractive. I’ve seen r/truerateme and a lot of these rate yourself videos and i know where I fall on the scale and I am totally fine with it.

Well my poor husband.. this really hurt him. He objected, and hyped me up during filming, but then he awkwardly pulled me aside and tried to find a private part of the street after they were done filming us. He was nearly crying. There we were, in a public street, in a busy touristy city, my sweet husband with tears in his eyes and holding my hands and cradling my face saying that it broke his heart seeing me think of myself this way. I kept explaining that I don’t hate myself and I don’t have confidence issues, I just simply don’t equate my self worth to my appearance. I’m happy with who I am even though I am unattractive. but my husband kept objecting and saying how stimming and beautiful I am and how much he loves me. He asked me how I could love him if I don’t love myself? He was just so sad and asked me “don’t you feel beautiful and worthy when we make love? Don’t you feel beautiful when you put on your cute clothes?” We talked for a few mins, I don’t want to keep typing and make this post longer than it is, but you get the idea. I kept reassuring him I love him and i’m secure in our relationship and I dont have confidence issues. I didn’t know what else to do or say.

The rest of the night was awkward, mood was dampened.. we canceled our dinner reservations and just went home and showered separately, didn’t say much to each other. he went to sleep a couple hours ago but here I am still awake

So…. Yeah I should have just lied and rated myself higher.

TL;DR I was asked to rate myself from 1-10 and gave myself a 2.5, husband was heartbroken to see that I think of myself as unattractive

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I think that I’d be seriously concerned if my gf rated herself that low but I think that the disconnect here stems from OP thinking 5/10 is average instead of the median

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

i dunno man, its such an utterly stupid question/system/rating that who in their right mind wouldn't want to give a hosed answer just on principle?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Thats too sad to post :(

Edit: ^^ no dude she was answering from the heart I wouldn't let anybody talk about my wife that way, even my wife

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 10, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The reddit incels got to her

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

that sounds like some genuine body dysmorphia issues that the OP is dealing with there that they haven't acknowledged, to me, especially given the husband's shock in his reaction. more worrying in my eyes is

quote:

I’ve seen r/truerateme and a lot of these rate yourself videos
mods of truerateme has been called off at for deliberately sabotaging self-confidence of women before; I wouldn't be surprised if OP is a victim of that here as well. the situation loving sucks regardless :smith:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I think that I’d be seriously concerned if my gf rated herself that low but I think that the disconnect here stems from OP thinking 5/10 is average instead of the median

Yeah, if she's saying "if you put me next to 4 random people, on average 3 of them would be hotter than me" that's not necessarily a devastating assessment (at least if you don't equate worth with attractiveness) but that's not what most people mean when they say 2.5/10.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

FoolyCharged posted:

That's actually my idea for a response. Don't monogram the name, just cover everything in friendly crocodiles. Lyle crocodiles as far as the eye can see.

Sounds like someone is looking to get a Cease and Desist from Lacoste!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
You should never trust what any subreddit with “true” or “actual” in the title says in general

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I think the big rating subreddit has established 6.5 as the unofficial max score for anyone that isn't a model. And I don't mean as in "they look like they could be a model", but as in is literally currently working as a model. 5 should be the mean, median, and mode for anyone who looks pretty and has no flaws in skin, hair, face, teeth, dress, affect, etc. etc.

Yes you can get warned and even banned for ratings outside this rubric. If you give someone who looks like a Hollywood actor's prettier cousin an 8.75 be prepared for an angry DM if they're not actual standard deviations prettier.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

JackSplater posted:

Lunchtime is about the ideal time to be making special dinner plans, really. You shouldn't be working, especially if your lunch is unpaid. Texts are pretty quick as long as both parties are paying attention, and even a quick "hey I want to go somewhere different for supper" text any time before lunch can make it easier to accommodate, both physically and mentally. I know I'd hate it if I came home from work and my SO immediately hit me with an "I want to go to a restaurant 45 minutes away for supper" without knowing in advance.

:wrong: lunch time is for staring blissfully into space; someone who consistently imposed planning tasks on me during my lunch break would quickly become not my favorite person

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Going to dinner via public transportation requires little to no planning. It's all designed to be more-or-less on demand, you just board it and go to the place you're going. The need for reservations varies from place to place but usually if you go in the middle of the week your going to be able to just walk in to the vast majority of places.

Traveling an hour to dinner every day obviously isn't going to work for most people, but if that's what's going on he didn't mention it.

:wrong: :wrong: :wrong: I’m a daily public transit commuter in one of the better-equipped us cities for it and I absolutely need to know more in advance, not less, if I’m taking unusual routes or heading somewhere new

If nothing else, taking public transit means that unless your living situation is perfectly located you are no way in hell going to manage a quick swing through home to get changed; I need to dress appropriately for my evening plans before I leave in the morning which means….. knowing about it the day before????? :prepop:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Bright Bart posted:

I think the big rating subreddit has established 6.5 as the unofficial max score for anyone that isn't a model. And I don't mean as in "they look like they could be a model", but as in is literally currently working as a model. 5 should be the mean, median, and mode for anyone who looks pretty and has no flaws in skin, hair, face, teeth, dress, affect, etc. etc.

Yes you can get warned and even banned for ratings outside this rubric. If you give someone who looks like a Hollywood actor's prettier cousin an 8.75 be prepared for an angry DM if they're not actual standard deviations prettier.

top comment on one of the top posts of all time:

quote:

5.3 I feel like I do like ur eyes in isolation but unfortunately one obviously has more PCT than the other. The philtrum is a bit longer and flatter. I think one that is shorter with some definition like Adriana Lima is most ideal. I think the eyebrows are too arched and that will create a disney villain effect. Some arch is feminine yes but you would want that more like Monica Bellucci's. ...just not such an arch like urs. I think ur face is ever so slightly too oval lacking geometry and sharp lines. Nicole Meyer has an ideal oval face shape. You can see how her jaw and ramus development affect the front. Ur attractive but not striking or highly phenomenal.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Bright Bart posted:

yeah, that's not how a 1-10 rating scale works anywhere else in the world

goddamn incels

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for leaving my family vacation after they forced me and my pregnant wife to sleep in a bunk bed?

quote:

TLDR at the bottom:

So just to set the stage, me and my family went on vacation at a location around 8 hours away for a wedding. I have 2 sisters, both are married and one has a 1 year old kid. My parents rented an airBnB so my whole family could stay at the same place for 5 days.

Check in is at 4:00 PM, both my sisters and parents get there right on time but me and my wife who is 7 1/2 months pregnant arrive at the BNB at 4:30 PM or so. We start to unload the car and ask where our room is, my mom responds: "you guys get the bunk bed." me, thinking it was a joke I say "ooh I get top bunk!" Their response was "no, actually you get the bunk bed." They were 100% serious. While my 2 other sisters get a room for themselves and their husbands, with queen size beds, me and my wife get the literal kids room with a bunk bed!

Me and my wife don't want to cause a scene and still want to be grateful for my parents paying for our accommodations, so we agree to just give the bed a try for one night and see how it goes. Fast-forward to bedtime, around 12:00 we lay down on the bed for the first time, it's as if you're sleeping on a wooden board. It's extremely uncomfortable even for me, which means my wife was in a lot more pain due to her being pregnant. We toss and turn for a couple hours, and finally we both agree to just go sleep on the couch in the living room. It's around 2:00 AM now, the couch is by no means comfortable, but in comparison to the bed it was a lot better.

We get a couple hours sleep when my dad wakes up and sees us on the couch and decides to go back to the master bedroom to not disturb us. Again, we don't want to create a scene so we just go back upstairs and try to get a little more sleep on the bunk bed before everyone wakes up. We get around an hour of the worst sleep I've ever had, and just decide to just wake up and go downstairs knowing we couldn't do that for a second night.

We booked a room at a hotel for a couple more nights to just get past the wedding then we were going to leave for home. After explaining the situation to my whole family, instead of accepting it or helping us, most of them start getting annoyed, saying that this is just another way for us to distance ourselves from the family. We just sternly say that we already made our decision and they were just going to have to accept it. Now most of my family is irritated at us saying that we ruined their trip. AITA?

TLDR: My family gave me and my pregnant wife a bunk bed to sleep on for 5 nights while everyone else got queen size beds. Now they are mad at us for renting a hotel and leaving early.
Comments reveal that AirBnB pulled a bait and switch on the parents and gave them a different house than the one they booked but that doesn't excuse the rest of the family thinking a nearly 8 month's pregnant woman needs to sleep on a bunk bed for decorum's sake.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
On average most people are above average; this is because it is a joy to see another person. This is then further modified by how much you like the person. It doesn't matter if they have a snaggle tooth or a big nose if you like them and want to spend time with them. hope this helps!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend's family are extremely conservative chinese christians who would constantly lose their mind over their grandson DATING GIRLS in his late teens. They would constantly kick him out of the family for having girls over, but he was the eldest son so they had to have him in their life so would then give him extravagant gifts to bring him back into the family.

The best part is how this worked for family vacations. He'd often have a girlfriend he'd want to bring, they would say no way since he's not married, he'd say he's not coming unless they invite her too, they'd cave but to make sure they aren't living in sin they'd upgrade from like 1 rented house to 2 just for the girlfriend to not be sleeping in the same bedroom. Other family all secretly loved this as it would upgrade the entire vacation's living space.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Ominous Jazz posted:

On average most people are above average; this is because it is a joy to see another person. This is then further modified by how much you like the person. It doesn't matter if they have a snaggle tooth or a big nose if you like them and want to spend time with them. hope this helps!

I just want to be awkwardly sincere and say that this genuinely made me smile. Because it's true, I know so many people (myself included) who look kinda loving goofy in pictures but when you actually are with them, you can't put your finger on why but they look perfect to you.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Bright Bart posted:

See now I'm wondering what kind of posts and threads we'd have if SA was as big as TikTok.

[all posts read out in computerized voice]

wait can i get this?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

This is the 1-10 scale I use.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Use the IGN rating system: everybody gets an 8.0 by default and you only ever score under that if your face is Bad Rats

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Kurieg posted:

AITA for leaving my family vacation after they forced me and my pregnant wife to sleep in a bunk bed?

Comments reveal that AirBnB pulled a bait and switch on the parents and gave them a different house than the one they booked but that doesn't excuse the rest of the family thinking a nearly 8 month's pregnant woman needs to sleep on a bunk bed for decorum's sake.

Ignoring the AirBNB part, this is exactly how my wife has always been treated by her lovely family. If there's 3 good setups and 1 lovely one, you never have to wonder who is going to end up stuck with that one. I cannot describe the incandescent rage I feel every time she goes on a trip or something with them and then describes whatever subtle (or not so subtle) way she's getting screwed over. She's adopted but honestly I'm not convinced it's that, a big part of it is that we don't have kids I think.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Perhaps a New Journalism approach to rating people. Not a number but a long essay on how your face makes me feel.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Super sad at OP in the 'rating' story presenting this as some logical reasonable response when this person's metric is based on the reddit incel rating sub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can't even imagine a 2.5 person, like even the ugliest person in the world has got to be at least a 3, right?