Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FISHMANPET posted:

Really makes O'Brien's lines in Bar Association even better somehow, knowing they line up with Colm's actual views.

I was thinking that as well. It's really cool that he wasn't acting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Union man to the end!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FISHMANPET posted:

Really makes O'Brien's lines in Bar Association even better somehow, knowing they line up with Colm's actual views.

"32 bullets he had in 'em" always gets a laugh out of me. that whole episode is so good

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that it's also a bit of a warning to Rom. "This path is noble, but will likely make you unpopular. Don't let that break you."

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Why does it look like Spock just drank the Grimace Shake in that pic and THAT'S the thing that killed him?

It's the glow from his SpockScope™.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BioEnchanted posted:

I like that it's also a bit of a warning to Rom. "This path is noble, but will likely make you unpopular. Don't let that break you."

it's thematically on point too. as the ferengi learn later, capital will absolutely use violence to eliminate threats to number going up

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Beeftweeter posted:

it's thematically on point too. as the ferengi learn later, capital will absolutely use violence to eliminate threats to number going up

The Deserter: (he opens his eyes and stares right through you) It was real. I'd seen it. I'd seen it *in reality*.
Half-Light: Some kind of great terror. Worse than what you've seen.
You: Seen *what*?
The Deserter: The mask of humanity fall from capital. It has to take it off to kill everyone — everything you love; all the hope and tenderness in the world. It has to take it off, just for one second. To do the deed. And then you see it. As it strangles and beats your friends to death... the sweetest, most courageous people in the world... (he's silent for a second) You see the fear and power in its eyes. Then you *know*.
You: What?
The Deserter: That the bourgeois are not human.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

"But I'm not hew-mon either. Does the Oracle condemn me?"

"Let me tell you about our great spiritual leader, Posadas..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
"I'm Ferengi and this is deep" :P I do like Quark's observations about the humans stuck on the siege base for 9 months who've gone practically feral due to stress. That's a good moment to show exactly why he doesn't trust humans in a bad situation, because we don't handle stress well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D2SHNqkjbY

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

He was more than a hero -- he was a union man.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
I found myself watching an episode of the godawful miserable television series Seven Days, and I'm wondering: How do I recognize this kid...? Well there it is, turns out it was Scarlett Pomers, who played Naomi Wildman on that other show that aired on UPN at the time, Voyager.

Seriously though Seven Days is an unfortunate waste of an interesting premise.

Just like Voyager. :garak:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
7 Days had a kick-rear end theme tune

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cross-Section posted:

Spent the better part of a day cruising through my favorite kind of fan fiction: In-universe history book fan fiction :haw:

To say it's top shelf (especially for fanon writing) feels insane but I mean, just look at these pages:

The folks behind this should be writing on the shows.

Ehhhhh... it makes for fun fanfiction, but it's not good enough for me to want that (or other writing on the same level) as official material.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Plotac 75 posted:

I found myself watching an episode of the godawful miserable television series Seven Days, and I'm wondering: How do I recognize this kid...? Well there it is, turns out it was Scarlett Pomers, who played Naomi Wildman on that other show that aired on UPN at the time, Voyager.

Seriously though Seven Days is an unfortunate waste of an interesting premise.

Just like Voyager. :garak:

Isn't that the kid that auditioned for Anakin? I thought his performance was much more naturalistic than Lloyd's.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Isn't that the kid that auditioned for Anakin? I thought his performance was much more naturalistic than Lloyd's.

I mean, every child actor in America auditioned for Anakin.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

I mean, every child actor in America auditioned for Anakin.

lol yeah every male 12 year old actor in America auditioned to be Anakin Skywalker and every male 12 year old actor in England auditioned to be Harry Potter. Daniel Radcliff's story simply turned out a lot better than Jake Lloyd's but it could have easily gone the other way too.

E: God, I wonder what Episode I would have been like if they'd just cast Hayden Christensen to play Anakin Skywalker right from the start because him and Natalie Portman are the same age so they both would have been 16 when filming on the Phantom Menace began in 1997. Would a hopeful but moody young teenage Anakin have gone over better than a little YIPPIE! 12 year old did?

I guess we'll never know.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 10, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol i just imagined hayden christensen doing the part without it being modified at all and it's very funny

e: like revenge of the sith aged

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
He just plays his character from “Life as a House”.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I picture him playing it the way he played Steven Glass in “Shattered Glass” (which is a genuinely good film)

Just going around constantly asking people, “Are you mad at me?!”

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrMojok posted:

I picture him playing it the way he played Steven Glass in “Shattered Glass” (which is a genuinely good film)

Just going around constantly asking people, “Are you mad at me?!”

A lot of people around the time kept on pointing to Shattered Glass as evidence that Christensen was a good actor and Lucas just couldn't direct him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qW3YcXJeyg

No, Christensen is not a good actor.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A lot of people said the same thing about Obi-Wan, too.

I wasn't convinced.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Timby posted:

A lot of people around the time kept on pointing to Shattered Glass as evidence that Christensen was a good actor and Lucas just couldn't direct him.

The last thirty seconds of this with Sarsgaard and Christensen could be subbed in for any of the Anakin/Jedi council meetings in ROTS and there would be no difference

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Marsupial Ape posted:

He just plays his character from “Little Italy”.

Fixed

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Timby posted:

I dunno I think it kind of fits that specific character because he is a weaselly pathological liar.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Being well cast as a bad actor does not make you a good actor

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

feedmyleg posted:

Being well cast as a bad actor does not make you a good actor

Didn't say that, that's just a bad example because it works for the film.

Jumper is probably a better example, but nobody should watch Jumper.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Jumper is probably a better example, but nobody should watch Jumper.

Or as it's known as in the US, Sweatshirt.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BBC America showed The Best of Both Worlds this morning. What an rear end-kicker of an episode(s)

I’ll never forget when it originally aired, seeing Riker say “Fire!” followed by TO BE CONTINUED and yelling Noooooo! at the TV as I realized I’d have to wait three months to find out what happened.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MrMojok posted:

BBC America showed The Best of Both Worlds this morning. What an rear end-kicker of an episode(s)

I’ll never forget when it originally aired, seeing Riker say “Fire!” followed by TO BE CONTINUED and yelling Noooooo! at the TV as I realized I’d have to wait three months to find out what happened.

My second "wow" moment was years later when I read that when Frakes said that line he really didn't have a clue if he'd be the captain for the rest of the show or not. PatStew hadn't signed his contract and was having one of his "I demand fuckin'n'fightin"-moments and was rumored to walk.

For all he knew, he just ordered PatStew's character to be executed.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

MrMojok posted:

That's one of those aspects of the episode that's just impossible to recapture when you can watch the next episode immediately. I was only 5 when it aired and probably didn't even know what Star Trek was, so as great an episode and cliffhanger as it is, unfortunately I can never watch it with quite the same impact as it must have had then. I suppose the closest thing is catching part 1 of a two-parter in syndication and then never knowing if or when you'll see the conclusion.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Der Kyhe posted:

My second "wow" moment was years later when I read that when Frakes said that line he really didn't have a clue if he'd be the captain for the rest of the show or not. PatStew hadn't signed his contract and was having one of his "I demand fuckin'n'fightin"-moments and was rumored to walk.

That's why BOBW2 is kind of a wet fart. It has moments (Riker and Guinan, "Sleep, Data," the Wolf 359 graveyard), but Piller wrote himself into a corner because he did a cliffhanger with absolutely no clue of what he was going to do to get out of it. Piller didn't know if he was returning, Stewart wasn't sure he wanted to come back, etc. The Borg "going to sleep" triggering a self-destruct sequence is the most gigantic rear end-pull.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

Oh wow, I never knew that! That’s incredible.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MrMojok posted:

Oh wow, I never knew that! That’s incredible.

as timby says michael piller didn't know if he was going to be returning, either. i saw an interview where he said he figured someone else would have to resolve the cliffhanger lol

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Timby posted:

The Borg "going to sleep" triggering a self-destruct sequence is the most gigantic rear end-pull.

You say that like the enterprise wouldn't explode in a few minutes if there weren't people there to push all those buttons:colbert:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Timby posted:

The Borg "going to sleep" triggering a self-destruct sequence is the most gigantic rear end-pull.

It kind of is. But I still love these two, and I’d have to put them (as one entry I guess) into my list of top ten all time favorite Trek episodes.

I can’t remember if advertising at the time gave away the big Locutus shocker, but if it did, I wasn’t aware of it before watching.

It really freaked me out, and grossed me out. Such a horrible violation of body, mind, and spirit.

I’m glad they didn’t just immediately go on like it never happened. The next episode, Family, is pretty good too.

Think I’m gonna have to pop in the First Contact bluray next. It’s definitely a Borg Day.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/thetrekcentral/status/1678538124656295938

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aw poo poo, that really sucks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pancreatic cancer is an awful way to go

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Oh drat. He seemed to be the one person who understood the assignment with ENT.

FlamingLiberal posted:

And yeah, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It truly is. Painful and the only thing they can really do is pump you full of painkillers.