Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'd be ok with those lavish special editions if they sent you the code to preload the game like a week before launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Insomniac said on Twitter that those who buy the physical edition will be able to do a digital deluxe upgrade. So it's possible to technically buy a physical version of the Deluxe Edition.

https://twitter.com/insomniacgames/status/1667183230250893317

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Miles has quite a lot for only being around a bit over a decade. I don't know if you'd know them by name so I'd have to find the image post I made in the Spider-Man game thread.

For Pete there's the 2 you mentioned, Superior, the 4 Spider-Hunt suits, ATSV 2099, Spider-Man India and I'd assume they'd go with the new ATSV one, Spider-Ham, original Kaine, Spectacular Spider-Man, Spider-Man Unlimited, any comicbook style ones done by favourite artists (Ditko, Bagley, McFarlane), the symbiote by itself has some variations plus they might do symbiote versions of other costumes

Yeah the first thing I was thinking of is that even if Venom is eventually a boss/the final boss, there's a lot of Venom looks over the years and while they probably wouldn't be able to make him be all huge like Venom's usually depicted, it'd be easy enough to do all the various white spider patterns from over the years, shape the eyes different, do an Agent Venom look where he's got those spiky shoulders/knees Flash had, etc. poo poo, they could just add other symbiote patterns outright, give him a Carnage costume.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TwoPair posted:

Yeah the first thing I was thinking of is that even if Venom is eventually a boss/the final boss, there's a lot of Venom looks over the years and while they probably wouldn't be able to make him be all huge like Venom's usually depicted, it'd be easy enough to do all the various white spider patterns from over the years, shape the eyes different, do an Agent Venom look where he's got those spiky shoulders/knees Flash had, etc. poo poo, they could just add other symbiote patterns outright, give him a Carnage costume.

Just keep the giant jaw Erik Larsen version away from me.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I get that it’s iconic and what most people think of for him but to me, first appearance Venom is my Venom. That whole buff Spider-Man stepping out of the shadows thing then suddenly he’s got this creepy rear end smile somehow is the definitive moment for me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Definitely one of his best moments. And maybe the best first appearance of any Spider-Man villain.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I like Venom to be shapeshifty enough that his face has a variety of weird mouth poo poo, but not so shapeshifty that he is chucking tendrils around like he does in the VS games

Like I get it there, it makes him distinct from the other characters, but if I had the Infinity Gauntlet one of the things I would do is make it so that the character who plays like that in those games is Carnage and that Venom is a seperate character who is like a cross between Spider-Man and Zangief

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

OnimaruXLR posted:

I like Venom to be shapeshifty enough that his face has a variety of weird mouth poo poo, but not so shapeshifty that he is chucking tendrils around like he does in the VS games

Like I get it there, it makes him distinct from the other characters, but if I had the Infinity Gauntlet one of the things I would do is make it so that the character who plays like that in those games is Carnage and that Venom is a seperate character who is like a cross between Spider-Man and Zangief

My weird rationale is I'm fine with Venom having fangs but when he looks like an alligator it implies Eddie's face is being cut in half, I like my Allen symbiotes realistic dammit

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
EA Black Panther rumors from last year confirmed:

https://twitter.com/CliffhangerDevs/status/1678390228732776448

The announcement doesn't explicitly say it's open-world as was rumored last year, but it probably is given that it refers to Wakanda as a "sandbox" and that the studio was founded by vets from Monolith's Middle-Earth games. Not to be confused with the AAA WWII-set Black Panther/Captain America game that was announced last year, which is probably a more linear sort of action-adventure game in the Uncharted vein given Amy Hennig's pedigree.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 10, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah, not gonna lie it is a little weird that we're getting a stand-alone BP game and a team-up game with Cap (difference between T'Challa and his dad, though) but I'm excited. It seems obvious but no less cool to do an open-world Wakanda game where you have to defend/take back the country.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The team up game sounds awesome. Smashing nazis good. Smashing nazis with the Black goddamned Panther? Even better.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Barry Convex posted:

EA Black Panther rumors from last year confirmed:

https://twitter.com/CliffhangerDevs/status/1678390228732776448

The announcement doesn't explicitly say it's open-world as was rumored last year, but it probably is given that it refers to Wakanda as a "sandbox" and that the studio was founded by vets from Monolith's Middle-Earth games. Not to be confused with the AAA WWII-set Black Panther/Captain America game that was announced last year, which is probably a more linear sort of action-adventure game in the Uncharted vein given Amy Hennig's pedigree.
Gonna end up with a nemesis system where the CIA agents get stronger if you don't kill them.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Those sound cool and all but when the hell are we gonna get a good X-Men game again? There hasn't been a good one since X-Men Legends 2 and the bad outweighs the good.

Wolverine doesn't count.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Those sound cool and all but when the hell are we gonna get a good X-Men game again? There hasn't been a good one since X-Men Legends 2 and the bad outweighs the good.

Wolverine doesn't count.

Midnight Suns is right there

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

And it is basically an X-Men game despite only starring two of them (with another as DLC).

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Codependent Poster posted:

Wolverine doesn't count.

It makes my mouth feel a bit gross to say it, but probably not until after the movies hit (or within a 1-2 year window of the movies hitting)

And given the way things have been going, that's gonna be like, 2045

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

OnimaruXLR posted:

It makes my mouth feel a bit gross to say it, but probably not until after the movies hit (or within a 1-2 year window of the movies hitting)

And given the way things have been going, that's gonna be like, 2045

X-Men 2099

It's just the regular X-Men being released July 2099

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

RevKrule posted:

Gonna end up with a nemesis system where the CIA agents get stronger if you don't kill them.

WB copyrighted the Nemesis system, but it sounds like Cliffhanger might be attempting something vaguely similar to that; lots of vague talk about a reactive story shaped by your actions in unprecedented ways, which I guess could mean that they’re trying to apply the Nemesis concept to other systems like NPCs or even quests? Just spitballing here

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

It's a card battler

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It's very close but it's not an X-Men game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yea its more a hang around in a hot tub with Magik and Wolverine kinda game.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Spiritually it is a Claremont X-Men game in every way

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

WB copyrighted the Nemesis system, but it sounds like Cliffhanger might be attempting something vaguely similar to that; lots of vague talk about a reactive story shaped by your actions in unprecedented ways, which I guess could mean that they’re trying to apply the Nemesis concept to other systems like NPCs or even quests? Just spitballing here

This is my gaming Hot Take: the Nemesis system is vastly overrated. It's basically a D&D encounter table with basically 0 input to actually create compelling narrative. I'm very much someone who prefers bespoke writing and an end point than procedural generated 'forever games'

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't think it was overrated in the Mordor games but I think people treat it as something that can naturally and easily be layered on top of just any game to spice it up when you'd usually have to redesign the whole story and gameplay mechanics and encounters to make use of it. Like was the system really so good that a game should be specifically designed around making use of it? Of the games I've played since Mordor where it could be just layered on as-is, Breath of the Wild had all the prerequisites.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's *patented* not *copyrighted*. (Well, the games as wholes are copyrighted, but that's different.) But anyway, getting around patents can be fairly easy even if you go the route of "similar concept implemented directly" versus "just pay the patent holder".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

Spiritually it is a Claremont X-Men game in every way

All we needed was a softball minigame.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I’ve been playing point and click games lately and it got me thinking about a monkey island style super-man game.

Levels like the Daily planet,fortress of solitude,weird alien planets,the farm,lex’s office.

Loads of doodads (clarks glasses,weird kryptonian stuff,keys to the fortress)

Puzzles like talking to Bizarro,using your powers to bend/melt/lift stuff.

And no combat!

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Could I fly through rings in a cloudy world?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Beerdeer posted:

Could I fly through rings in a cloudy world?

After you've convinced Lois that you're not Superman by placing the banana skin on the stairs that you got from gorilla grodds lair and doing a convincing pratfall.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

I don't think it was overrated in the Mordor games but I think people treat it as something that can naturally and easily be layered on top of just any game to spice it up when you'd usually have to redesign the whole story and gameplay mechanics and encounters to make use of it. Like was the system really so good that a game should be specifically designed around making use of it? Of the games I've played since Mordor where it could be just layered on as-is, Breath of the Wild had all the prerequisites.

Would every ten minutes fighting "Moblin The One-eyed" (a regular moblin but with the eyepatch cosmetic) really add much to BOTW? Maybe I'm the outlier because I've never been one to play action games for 'emergent gameplay'. Like, I know there's people who play GTA and literally never engage with the story at all and it baffles me. loving around with the tank or whatever is fun for like, 5 minutes, but give me a purpose, a story, and the whole Nemesis thing feels like marketing smokescreen to hide a lack of substance in the areas I care about.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

Would every ten minutes fighting "Moblin The One-eyed" (a regular moblin but with the eyepatch cosmetic) really add much to BOTW? Maybe I'm the outlier because I've never been one to play action games for 'emergent gameplay'. Like, I know there's people who play GTA and literally never engage with the story at all and it baffles me. loving around with the tank or whatever is fun for like, 5 minutes, but give me a purpose, a story, and the whole Nemesis thing feels like marketing smokescreen to hide a lack of substance in the areas I care about.

It's up to you whether the Nemesis stuff in BOTW would be good, I only said it was a game where it could be added in pretty easily. The lore and gameplay mechanics already feature resurrection of enemies and Link, there are already tiers of enemy types, there are lots of different weapons and runes and damage types so there can be a variety of resistances/immunities applied without taking all your options away, etc.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The Nemesis System (or whatever it's rebranded as) would be rad for nu-Zelda games.

As the promoted monsters gain resistances to your limited palate of tricks (the ones that you feel comfortable using, like good ol' bomb arrows) you would be forced to think outside the box to put them down and keep them there.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
A Hinox weak to only something weird like cooking pots could be interesting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Another strike against that gimmick: Eventually you end up with enemies immune to loving everything which is just painfully unfun. It's the endgame, let me be overpowered. (In case I wasn't clear: It's not 'I hate the Nemesis system in games OTHER than Mordor, I hate it in those also)

I will now shut up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Another strike against that gimmick: Eventually you end up with enemies immune to loving everything which is just painfully unfun. It's the endgame, let me be overpowered. (In case I wasn't clear: It's not 'I hate the Nemesis system in games OTHER than Mordor, I hate it in those also)

I will now shut up.

I think you are the first person I've ever seen say that. The usual complaint is the game needs to be /more/ aggressive with that stuff because it is too easy to bypass instead of using weaknesses

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I don't have a problem with the Nemesis system. You just need to get him in his final form then charge the Rail Gun and finish him off

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Orcs could rack up immunities but honestly the toughest part of fighting the strong ones was dealing with them in the middle of a dozen other orcs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I think you are the first person I've ever seen say that. The usual complaint is the game needs to be /more/ aggressive with that stuff because it is too easy to bypass instead of using weaknesses

In fairness I'm a completionist. I suspect that may also colour my opinion. If you're beelining through the story and just see it now and then, it's probably easier to ignore how simplistic and repetitive it was, but when you're on your 5th pass over the map to try and collect all the poo poo and have seen the exact same intro cutscene and canned lines a dozen times, it's really hard to buy into the 'it lets you tell ENDLESS stories' thing. But good god, I would straight up take someone saying 'it's like that but MORE aggressive' as a neon sign telling me DO NOT BUY THIS GAME.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Lobok posted:

It's a good fit for superhero open world games, because what other genre involves beating up the same handful of guys every few stories?

Especially the ones where you beat up a bunch of generic goons on the regular. Spider-Man could go from having to deal with cannon fodder, to having to deal with someone on par with the Enforcers, to someone on par with the Punisher, and maybe a final form as an actual villain with powers/super powered gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Given that Warframe has a pretty straightforward Nemesis system redux and makes money hand over fist I don’t think there’s anything really stopping others from aping the concept