Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TraderStav posted:

I think a killer product would be the SD with no screen and you just use something like the xreal airs. Can likely get a form factor closer to a normal controller.

killer alright as in if anyone suggests it in Valve they should be killed!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

replace the screen with a set of ar glasses and replace the controller with a force feedback buttplug

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Are there any essential accessories for a new steam deck owner? I just picked up a 64gb version I'm guessing I should grab a 1tb nvme before I go too nuts?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
-SCENE: Jerry's Apartment Noon-

*Jerry and George watch tv, the door flies open, Kramer walks in*

Kramer: I got it Jerry listen to this. A Deck you cannot use unless you wear these glasses.

*Kramer puts on comically offset glasses*

Jerry: These glasses?
Kramer: Oh yeah!
George: I think my mother wears those.
Jerry: And you cannot use the Deck without them.
Kramer: Cannout use it! Useless without the glasses!
Jerry: Well what if I don't wanna carry them everywhere?
Kramer: They are see through! You take them everywhere.
George: I already take my regular glasses everywhere. Another pair... No that's too much. I'm too young to carry around two pairs of glasses.
Jerry: Kramer you look ridiculous!
Kramer: No Jerry, it's the future! Here try them on.
Jerry: I can barely see the screen in these...
Kramer: Oh that's because it's too bright in here.
Jerry: So what you're supposed to do? Play in the dark?
Kramer: That's the best part... give me the glasses. Look. You use these blackout covers.

*Jerry hands Kramer the Steam Deck, who fumbles and drops it. The sudden movement on screen gives him vertigo and he violently falls backwards behind the sofa.*

*Elaine enters the apartment*

Elaine: Hey Jerry are we going for lunch?
Jerry: Yeah, Kramer was just showing us his Steam Deck glasses.
Elaine: Oh hi Kramer. I think George's Mom wears those.
Kramer: *standing up looking at his Deck* Oh no... I think the Deck's screen's broken.
Jerry: Good thing you have the glasses.
Kramer: Y...yeah. Anyway I'm going to see Newman. He knows some people at Valve.

*Kramer turn around to walk out the door but hits the doorframe with his face, the blackout lens covers falling off the glasses*

*Slap bass riff plays as the trio looks at each other, confused*

-END SCENE-

Vic fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 9, 2023

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

replace the screen with a set of ar glasses and replace the controller with a force feedback buttplug

Link please?

Vic posted:

~Seinfeld~

:golfclap:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Link please?

:golfclap:
*in welcome to zombo com voice* Anything is possible at buttplug dot io

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Photex posted:

Are there any essential accessories for a new steam deck owner? I just picked up a 64gb version I'm guessing I should grab a 1tb nvme before I go too nuts?

NVME drive for sure, 64gbs will go away in a blink unless you're actively managing your free space. The short of it is that the Deck downloads and stores shader cache on the NVME drive, so even if you get a larger micro SD card you'll end up eating up drive space. Installing the Storage Manager plugin on Decky Loader helps with clearing up the leftover shader cache from uninstalled games.

Also a USB Hub or dock are nice for connecting peripherals if needed. The Desktop mode is navigable without mouse and keyboard on a pinch, but if you end up spending any time on those modes you'll be wanting for a regular m+k pretty soon.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Photex posted:

Depends, if you mostly play indies and emulation just get a 1 TB microsd and thr jsaux matte screen protector. You won't need the NVMe.

If you want to play a lot AAA games yeah you will need a bigger SSD.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Emulation up to PS2ish is pretty much covered by my Ayn Odin so I think this will be mostly indie and some AAA games (I'm looking at you BG3)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wanna copy some games to my PC from my Steam Deck and for some reason it just doesn’t want to. I followed the instructions, got Steam on my PC and deck to accept game transfers over the local network. I have both my PC and Deck on and connected. I just don’t see how to get it to pull from the source.

It should just do it automatically, I changed nothing in my Steam settings when they rolled it out and I forgot it was a thing until I saw I think Cyberpunk installing at like 30mbps when I put it on my Deck.

Photex posted:

Emulation up to PS2ish is pretty much covered by my Ayn Odin so I think this will be mostly indie and some AAA games (I'm looking at you BG3)

Get an NVMe if you want the internal storage, else get a big SD card. I'm installing most stuff to the SD card now after realising I'm not going to have 500gb of roms on there. Outside a few edge cases like longer initial loads when open world games do that I notice no real difference. I don't think there's really any other essential accessories, the Deck's comfortable enough to hold, it comes with a good case, maybe grab the Dock or a dock because having it either useable as a console or just as a charging stand is useful.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Sorry it this has been asked up thread but does anyone have a good wifi router recommendation for the best moonlight/chiaki performance on the deck? I had an Orbi main unit die this morning rendering the satellites useless. Figured I'd try out single access point WiFi again since my new place is <2500 sqft but I'd be open to a new mesh too. PC is hardwired as is the PS5. Thoughts?

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

How's does the deck work with multiple sd cards? Is it just as easy as a reboot and it sees the steam games installed?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

diremonk posted:

How's does the deck work with multiple sd cards? Is it just as easy as a reboot and it sees the steam games installed?

You don't have to reboot, you can just swap cards, but yeah.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

diremonk posted:

Literally hot swap them and it repopulates your library with what's on the new card.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wanna copy some games to my PC from my Steam Deck and for some reason it just doesn’t want to. I followed the instructions, got Steam on my PC and deck to accept game transfers over the local network. I have both my PC and Deck on and connected. I just don’t see how to get it to pull from the source.

Unless they changed it since they released this feature, they specifically disabled transferring from Steam Deck to PC.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

negativeneil posted:

Sorry it this has been asked up thread but does anyone have a good wifi router recommendation for the best moonlight/chiaki performance on the deck? I had an Orbi main unit die this morning rendering the satellites useless. Figured I'd try out single access point WiFi again since my new place is <2500 sqft but I'd be open to a new mesh too. PC is hardwired as is the PS5. Thoughts?

At 2500 ish I’d probably stick with a mesh setup tbh.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

So is it normal for a game to work fine one day, then have the developer update said game, breaking steam deck compatability?

Deleting the game’s Proton files often solves this for me but that usually resets all in-game settings which is kind of a huge pain in the rear end.

Is anyone here running Windows 11 on their deck? Is it more or less a seamless experience once you get all of the drivers squared away?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Normal? Not really. But it happens. There was a pretty big Binding of Isaac patch recently that broke Deck compatibility and McMillen fixed it first thing the next business day. So I guess it getting fixed depends on how active the developer is with the game.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Bouillon Rube posted:

So is it normal for a game to work fine one day, then have the developer update said game, breaking steam deck compatability?

Deleting the game’s Proton files often solves this for me but that usually resets all in-game settings which is kind of a huge pain in the rear end.

Is anyone here running Windows 11 on their deck? Is it more or less a seamless experience once you get all of the drivers squared away?
For EA games? Yeah, pretty much. The launcher breaks semi-frequently, locking you out of their game until either a proton fix is pushed, or EA gets their head out of their asses. Guess which actually happens.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

negativeneil posted:

I'm in 2200 sqft and tried this and ended up going back to my orbi setup, I just wasnt getting stable connections at the furthest rooms from the router; admittedly, I have stucco walls and tile inside which doesn't help, but if f only thing missing from your mesh is the router (I think the rbr50) then I would just wait for reasonable prices ones to show up for sale.

I'm not saying single router absolutely wouldn't work, but you'd have to do a little more digging into the specifics of your house (layout, materials, etc.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bouillon Rube posted:

Happens all the time with EA, Ubisoft and Rockstar games

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

unruly posted:

For EA games? Yeah, pretty much. The launcher breaks semi-frequently, locking you out of their game until either a proton fix is pushed, or EA gets their head out of their asses. Guess which actually happens.

Both Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite for me. Frustrating for Horizon 5 especially sunce it runs beautifully on the deck most of the time at medium settings

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i just ordered one of these and i'm pretty stoked. will definitely be installing win11 on it though. it looks like the discord link in the op is expired, could someone post a fresh one?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Are there any methods to RDP into the Steam Deck in Desktop mode? Steam Link lets me remote into it in Steam mode but as soon as I exit to Desktop mode it kicks me out.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Weedle posted:

i just ordered one of these and i'm pretty stoked. will definitely be installing win11 on it though. it looks like the discord link in the op is expired, could someone post a fresh one?

Why are you gonna put windows on it because unless the answer is “I plan to exclusively play fortnite and destiny” it’s probably not worth the effort

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Medullah posted:

Are there any methods to RDP into the Steam Deck in Desktop mode? Steam Link lets me remote into it in Steam mode but as soon as I exit to Desktop mode it kicks me out.

You can steam link into desktop mode just fine. Or install anydesk if you want.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Medullah posted:

Install your RDP client of choice in desktop mode and connect to that.

I just use anydesk because it’s right there in the discover store but a million nerds are gonna tell you a million different options.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

i use nomachine to remote into linux machines: https://www.nomachine.com/

it's a free app, i think people here said it works fine last time i mentioned it

e: i didn't know anydesk is free, if that's in discover that's probably the easier option

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Both anydesk and NoMachine work fine and great in my experience. Pick whichever is easier for you

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

Windows loving sucks , and on the deck

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why are you gonna put windows on it because unless the answer is “I plan to exclusively play fortnite and destiny” it’s probably not worth the effort

Lol, installing Windows and 5 driver packages from Valve isn’t difficult. However, I’m not sure if the controller emulation is 100% yet.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

rafikki posted:

You can steam link into desktop mode just fine. Or install anydesk if you want.

Yeah when my deck is in desktop mode I can't connect period, and when I connect in Steam mode as soon as I swap to desktop mode it disconnects me. I'll try out anydesk.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

tango alpha delta posted:

Lol, installing Windows and 5 driver packages from Valve isn’t difficult. However, I’m not sure if the controller emulation is 100% yet.

It's still more effort than pressing the button and playing games in a purpose built enviroment.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Windows loving sucks , and on the deck

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

njsykora posted:

It's still more effort than pressing the button and playing games in a purpose built enviroment.

That’s fair. My deck has been released from customs, so I’m low key excited to be picking it up today and play with SteamOS for the first time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah I’m not coming from a ‘hurr durr winblows amirite’ position but a genuine why bother because everything that doesn’t use some kind of extra aggressive anti-cheat stuff works fine.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
SteamOS is really cool. One of my favorite things about the Deck is being able to push a button and instantly toggle stuff like scaling method, frame/refresh rate limit, performance overlay, etc. then bounce right back into the game.

It streamlines stuff that would be more annoying in Windows while simultaneously giving you greater control.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, spend some time with SteamOS and think about what you could do in Windows that you can't in Steam and think about whether that's enough to make doing some things slower and harder.

And also just wait to see if that official dual boot support ever actually happens.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I’m not coming from a ‘hurr durr winblows amirite’ position but a genuine why bother because everything that doesn’t use some kind of extra aggressive anti-cheat stuff works fine.

The stuff with extra aggressive anti cheat is really fun to play, op (Destiny 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the games i want to play that are listed as "unsupported on deck" include: modern warfare ii, cruelty squad, destiny 2, sleeping dogs, dirt rally 2.0, the witcher 2, vampire bloodlines, and burnout paradise. also a bunch of posts immediately before mine are people talking about how updates frequently break compatibility for supported games, so windows seems like a better move for me overall. it is easy to install