Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Some really strange readings of what Codependent Poster is saying. Although I disagree about the toxicity for the most part :razzy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Vandar posted:

Can we talk about how 'Acknowledge me!' is like, the lamest loving catchphrase? It's supposed to be demanding or whatever but it comes off as so incredibly whiny.

I mean to a certain degree, I get it. Roman's heel character is that he's extremely insecure (be nice if the commentary would mention it once or twice instead of constantly polishing his knob) so his heel catchphrase being him begging for attention kinda works.

The problem is he has like eight loving million catchphrases and he has to jam them all in and they all sound so goddamn fake.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Vandar posted:

Can we talk about how 'Acknowledge me!' is like, the lamest loving catchphrase? It's supposed to be demanding or whatever but it comes off as so incredibly whiny.

I mean imo I think that’s the point and not inconsistent with Roman’s character. He’s a guy who demands respect and wants to be seen as the top dog but is also insanely insecure and abusive. The issue isn’t Roman I think he understands his gimmick. It’s that wwe wants to make him both the top heel and the top face. So even though Roman is being a baby the entire time and needed interference in everyone of his matches he’s presented by commentary as the most unstoppable destructive force in wwe.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

All the Roman stuff would be really good if the company understood the character, but they don't so it all sucks

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

[guy cheats in every single match he has to barely win] The most dominant champion in history, the Tribal Chief, acknowledge him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MJeff posted:

Buddy this whole thing started because you were annoyed that we weren't acknowledging the tribal chief.

I guess me saying that I thought it was too long and I'm not sure what the real endgame is but saying that the crowd seemed to enjoy that is being annoyed that people aren't acknowledging the tribal chief?

Roman is the worst part of the entire storyline built around him. And that includes a guy who mainly stands around and hits people with his thumb.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Rarity posted:

That took me 25 minutes

Good work “Weird” ScoopsgAl.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

yea ok posted:

All the Roman stuff would be really good if the company understood the character, but they don't so it all sucks

Yeah he's supposed to be a universally powerful wrestler who is better than everyone but also he only wins through cheating and has had multiple visual pinfalls on him over the years.

Like if commentary pointed that out it would make sense. But commentary always treats him like he's the strongest, not an arrogant cheating heel.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Also it’s funny that the anti AEW people on twitter always talk about them destroying kayfabe and all that yet are the people calling for the bloodline angle to win Emmy’s and poo poo like that. Like openly talking about it as this fake angle where it’s them acting and this isn’t real. And like obviously it’s fake. It just makes me laugh.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Rarity posted:

That took me 25 minutes

this is extremely good thank you

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If you want a real opinion about the Bloodline segment, here it is.

There was an undercurrent of something compelling in the bones of the segment where Roman does the classic abuser move of flipping everything on his victims when confronted about what an awful person he's been, but if his plan was just to attack Jimmy and Jey anyway, why did he try to gaslight them first, why not just lie and act like he was actually sorry? He wants them to drop their guard so he can attack them, just heaping more abuse on them risks accomplishing the opposite of what he wants.

And then when you get into stuff like the way WWE scripts their promos, the insanely slow pacing, the overacting (if Jey runs his hands down his face one more time to signal how conflicted he is, I'm gonna punch a dolphin), the fact that it apparently ran super over so they had to cut a bunch of stuff for time and the elephant in the room of this would all make way more sense if ROMAN HAD LOST THE STUPID BELT TO SAMI OR CODY, I think it fuckin' sucked.

There you go, a real opinion from someone who really watched it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lol that’s 40 minutes of your life you’ll never get back

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

By the way, lost in the 40 minutes was something that I dunno if any recaps went over. Roman wears this necklace which I guess makes him the tribal chief. I dunno, they never really put any significance on it other than it being something he wears. So he makes a big deal about putting it on Jey and making him the new tribal chief before he attacks him. The necklace ends up on the mat.

Solo is the only one left standing and he picks up the necklace and starts looking at it like he's Boromir and that necklace is the loving Ring of Power. It was loving hilarious. Like if he puts it on that means he's gonna be in charge as if the necklace is the thing that holds all the power. It would be like if you put on a championship belt that you're just automatically the new champ.

It was so stupid and hilarious. Just one guy transfixed by this shoddy necklace that he's holding in his hands.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
wwe is "sports entertainment" and draws influence from contemporary programming like game of thrones,

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

Somebody once told me Tony was gonna blow me
And the Elite would all poo poo the bed
Kenny looking like a clog got bitten for a dog
Mox will bleed out all the way till he's dead

Well the rating's dropping and it don't stop dropping
The numbers in freefall your promotion is flopping
Booking's nonsense there's no sense of fun
Just for the smarks that is really dumb
Too much to learn, the history
So where's all the vid recaps for me?
I'll never know, won't have a go
I'll never try watching the show

But wow, you got five stars, Omega and Ospreay
But wow, though you're not stars, you're getting buy rates
Time to work up North instead
Only real stars in the Fed

It's a cold world but Eddie doesn't matter
He's bundled up now, but still he gets fatter
Here's the Young Bucks, time for another botch
Judging by the time, you could set your watch
Are they really pushing the Dark Order?
Nothing on Earth could make us more boreder
It's a trashfire, a poo poo parade
That's the way I like it, drinking Hayterade

Only real stars

Somebody once asked is Maxwell on the for gas?
He needs to get himself out of this place
He'll say, "Yup", bidding war
The biggest thing in twenty twenty four
You can have Cody back in exchange

Well the rating's dropping and it don't stop dropping
The numbers in freefall your promotion is flopping
Booking's nonsense there's no sense of fun
Just for the smarks that is really dumb
Too much to learn, the history
So where's all the vid recaps for me?
I'll never know, won't have a go
I'll never try watching the show

this is the only reason the wwf thread still exists

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I'd personally like to apologize for contributing to this thread's level of toxicity, by having previously talked about how WWE is a lovely company run by horrible people, and that WWE puts out a legitimately godawful product booked by--and designed solely for--the amusement of the elderly insane rapist who runs it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

History Comes Inside! posted:

lol that’s 40 minutes of your life you’ll never get back

Buddy I work a 9-5, there's way more minutes than that that I'm flushing down the toilet every day. Watching WWE's garbage at least gives me something to deconstruct, that's time well spent.

Also I watched two youtube clips and skipped most of the beatdown so it was more like 20ish.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

yea ok posted:

Honestly this really is it and it why Sami and Cody both losing double sucked, because it felt like those brief shining moments where the company would Get It and it'd be great for both Roman and the one who beat him

And then neither did and they're just doing this whole wow look at how dominant he is shtick.And now Jey Uso I guess will be The Guy, maybe. Silly stuff

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hope The Rock actually returns and wears The Necklace and everyone bows to him and tells him how good and cool he is and how he's the true Tribal Chief

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Honestly this really is it and it why Sami and Cody both losing double sucked, because it felt like those brief shining moments where the company would Get It and it'd be great for both Roman and the one who beat him

And then neither did and they're just doing this whole wow look at how dominant he is shtick.And now Jey Uso I guess will be The Guy, maybe. Silly stuff

It triple sucked because the justification for them losing was that Roman must have the title...to finish the story!! But then all of the "Story" since Mania would be exactly the same, if not better, had he lost the title. Oh well, best angle ever.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

He passed Hogan's longest title reign yesterday so maybe we will soon be free or we are now on the Morales Countdown instead

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

MJeff posted:

If you want a real opinion about the Bloodline segment, here it is.

There was an undercurrent of something compelling in the bones of the segment where Roman does the classic abuser move of flipping everything on his victims when confronted about what an awful person he's been, but if his plan was just to attack Jimmy and Jey anyway, why did he try to gaslight them first, why not just lie and act like he was actually sorry? He wants them to drop their guard so he can attack them, just heaping more abuse on them risks accomplishing the opposite of what he wants.

And then when you get into stuff like the way WWE scripts their promos, the insanely slow pacing, the overacting (if Jey runs his hands down his face one more time to signal how conflicted he is, I'm gonna punch a dolphin), the fact that it apparently ran super over so they had to cut a bunch of stuff for time and the elephant in the room of this would all make way more sense if ROMAN HAD LOST THE STUPID BELT TO SAMI OR CODY, I think it fuckin' sucked.

The other day I watched an episode of Raw is War that had this incredible segment where mega heel Bret Hart hugged Owen and Bulldog and pleaded for them to stop fighting and for them to all be a family and when he did it he looked into the camera with a thousand yard stare while Bulldog and Owen cried on his shoulders and it's like...I think they're trying to go for this but WWE cannot help but make it Sports Entertainment™ and go back to a really easy trope toolbox with no variation because they think the audience is loving stupid at its very core and when you factor in everything else that went into this segment it's just tiring honestly

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Codependent Poster posted:

By the way, lost in the 40 minutes was something that I dunno if any recaps went over. Roman wears this necklace which I guess makes him the tribal chief. I dunno, they never really put any significance on it other than it being something he wears. So he makes a big deal about putting it on Jey and making him the new tribal chief before he attacks him. The necklace ends up on the mat.

Solo is the only one left standing and he picks up the necklace and starts looking at it like he's Boromir and that necklace is the loving Ring of Power. It was loving hilarious. Like if he puts it on that means he's gonna be in charge as if the necklace is the thing that holds all the power. It would be like if you put on a championship belt that you're just automatically the new champ.

It was so stupid and hilarious. Just one guy transfixed by this shoddy necklace that he's holding in his hands.

Its kinda like Andrade's mask. I thought it was just a cool prop but apparently it's load bearing lore that I'm supposed to care about. (I don't).

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

does solo sikoa have a personality or is he just a heavy with a snug thumb. Feel free to grade this on a curve with the amount of personality that the rest have.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Endless Mike posted:

I hope The Rock actually returns and wears The Necklace and everyone bows to him and tells him how good and cool he is and how he's the true Tribal Chief

imagining them drooping the necklace on that dumb egg from that Netflix movie

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think CP is defending the product and culture at all, it sounds like they just wish they could laugh at it with us instead of a bunch of "lol if you think I'm watching that garbage," so I can see being frustrated by the overwhelming stance here.

I think a good rule of thumb might be that if you want to discuss something that happened on WWE TV earnestly, you should post a clip! At least for me, I'll usually click on something if somebody thought it was worth talking about, but I'm never going out of my way to find an episode of raw. I'd probably flip through this 40min bullshit to see how stupid it was if there was a quick link.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cinematic

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MJeff posted:

They keep kicking the can down the road on putting someone over Roman and it's so dumb. First it was because they thought the Rock was gonna come back. After that it's because... I don't know, because they still think the Rock is gonna come back? Drew shoulda won, then Sami, then Cody. We know Jey isn't gonna win so what's the point other than still dragging it out?

Dick Swiveller posted:

does solo sikoa have a personality or is he just a heavy with a snug thumb. Feel free to grade this on a curve with the amount of personality that the rest have.

He has no personality, but like I said, this still makes him a better performer than Roman.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Im Aragorn

e: you guys can call whoever else you want, but I'm Aragorn.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Penguin Patrol posted:

I don't think CP is defending the product and culture at all, it sounds like they just wish they could laugh at it with us instead of a bunch of "lol if you think I'm watching that garbage," so I can see being frustrated by the overwhelming stance here.

I think a good rule of thumb might be that if you want to discuss something that happened on WWE TV earnestly, you should post a clip! At least for me, I'll usually click on something if somebody thought it was worth talking about, but I'm never going out of my way to find an episode of raw. I'd probably flip through this 40min bullshit to see how stupid it was if there was a quick link.

My counter to that is that CP started off by making GBS threads on the posters ITT, and then tried to backtrack to "I just wanted to laugh at WWE like we did TNA back in the day, c'mon guys" when called out on it (while also blaming the posters ITT for talking about how bad WWE is, instead of blaming WWE for putting out a bad product in the first place), and conveniently forgetting that while TNA and WWE are both bad, TNA was at least hilariously bad for much of its existence. WWE isn't even worth making fun of nine times out of ten (with the odd exception like the Uncle Howdy stuff or the Codyvator). It's just a lovely product.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Penguin Patrol posted:

for most in here, aew puts out too many hours of content weekly that's actually worth arguing about, so devoting any amount of time to hatewatching a product that time and again has shown itself to never pay off, provide any catharsis, or even mean anything would be a luxury most of us cannot afford

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t even have enough time to watch all the good wrestling let alone the bad

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The other day I watched an episode of Raw is War that had this incredible segment where mega heel Bret Hart hugged Owen and Bulldog and pleaded for them to stop fighting and for them to all be a family and when he did it he looked into the camera with a thousand yard stare while Bulldog and Owen cried on his shoulders and it's like...I think they're trying to go for this but WWE cannot help but make it Sports Entertainment™ and go back to a really easy trope toolbox with no variation because they think the audience is loving stupid at its very core and when you factor in everything else that went into this segment it's just tiring honestly

I don't remember when but they absolutely did that spot at some point. Probably when Sami and Jey were fighting, Roman made them make peace or something, everybody hugged and then Roman smirked at the camera and winked.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Chad Gable and Otis and Maxine are legitimately great in WWE (and Chad Gable is also booked like poo poo.) I don't religiously tune into WWE, I'll watch it if it's running when I have the channels up, but I have yet to be disappointed by anything Chad Gable has done himself. I can be disappointed that they're not treating him like the wrestling machine he is, but on the other side it means I get this goofy storyline from Alpha Academy that is fun. I thought they were going to screw it up a few months ago when Maxine started trying to "lure" Otis away, but putting them all together as a team with Gable training Maxine is both a hoot and a holler.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I think I can safely say what WWE needs is less 40 minute mock trials and more in-ring birthday celebrations, complete with party hats.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

projecthalaxy posted:

He passed Hogan's longest title reign yesterday so maybe we will soon be free or we are now on the Morales Countdown instead

I think you got it backwards. he passed Morales and has about 400 days to pass Hogan's longest reign

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

mooseinfants posted:

I think you got it backwards. he passed Morales and has about 400 days to pass Hogan's longest reign

Oh. I was lied to by fun fact twitter. Nightmare!

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

projecthalaxy posted:

I don’t think that’s true, Hogan had a 4 year reign and Roman is coming up on 3. While next WM seems the obvious end point for this forever reign, it would ‘only’ require extending out to September from there to beat Hogan and put Roman at #3 all time and clear king of the post WM era of champions, so I could easily see a Vince being tempted to hang on just a little further. But at that point we are looking at the Rumble 2025 as the next big PPV you could conceivably have Roman lose on…

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

When I first started to reach my wits end with wwe bs (gosh must be aught near 5-6 years now) I had fully moved into watching it “in the background” while I made dinner or did laundry or played video game. But for every 1 cool or surprising thing I’d happen to catch there were 15 things that made me mad. Wasnt even worth it as filler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

That DICK! posted:

When I first started to reach my wits end with wwe bs (gosh must be aught near 5-6 years now) I had fully moved into watching it “in the background” while I made dinner or did laundry or played video game. But for every 1 cool or surprising thing I’d happen to catch there were 15 things that made me mad. Wasnt even worth it as filler

Yeah there was a point where I was just getting upset while watching it and ranting. And I hated that I was letting it get to me like that so I just stopped watching.