Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

yes, that's why I'm going to put one on my house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
a nice box

for the mailman you cucked to pee in

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

biceps crimes posted:

yes, that's why I'm going to put one on my house

would probably have been worth 50k in the bidding wars of 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
if you find yourself constantly asking others if they're jealous of you, chances are nobody is.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

if you find yourself constantly asking others if they're jealous of you, chances are nobody is.

Jealous much?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
this must be the new pfc meltdown thread

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

this is what buying a house in 2023 does to your brain

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

for someone as pedantic as you are, you’d think you’d know the difference between jealousy and envy.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It came with the house, jealous?

Lol, "historic" homes have more credentials than I do.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

shrike82 posted:

this is what buying a house in 2023 does to your brain

It's the cognitive dissonance of being an urbanist/transit advocate who is retreating further into the suburbs that did it

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

himself usually

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

can you figure out if pfc has kids or not ?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Can't believe people buy pedigree houses when there's so many desperate mutts looking for an owner.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

euphronius posted:

can you figure out if pfc has kids or not ?

no more landlords, please

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
no, more landlords please!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Nothus posted:

:smith:

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
from the minds that brought you

Nothus posted:

comes new, all natural

Oops! All landlords!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
thankfully corporations are consolidating all housing so that in a couple of decades there will be vastly fewer landlords. i'm sure they won't abuse their monopoly.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

The room where the magic happens

permabanned sink-shitter and murder-room poster dolphin moved to portland?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

you have so many stupid as gently caress opinions about poo poo you have zero clue about. it's sort of impressive.

he's right in the sense that we are still dealing with the legacy of 1970s white flight and anti-annexation laws that moved the property tax base (AKA school funding) to the suburbs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_dependence

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Why would anyone want to live in a cul-de-sac surrounded by highways on three sides, no sidewalks, and you cannot even get milk from the store without getting into the car. Teachers have to commute 20 minutes or more because they don't earn enough to buy into your tri-level cookie cutter hellscape. Yes, this is aspirational. Your children won't be confined to your 2300sq ft + back yard.

Make the suburbs pay for their own poo poo infrastructure and they will go away. Just stop subsidizing them at the state level. Bing bong!

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

A Bad King posted:

Why would anyone want to live in a cul-de-sac surrounded by highways on three sides, no sidewalks, and you cannot even get milk from the store without getting into the car. Teachers have to commute 20 minutes or more because they don't earn enough to buy into your tri-level cookie cutter hellscape. Yes, this is aspirational. Your children won't be confined to your 2300sq ft + back yard.

Make the suburbs pay for their own poo poo infrastructure and they will go away. Just stop subsidizing them at the state level. Bing bong!

Backyard? Nah man, gotta fill up the lot as much as possible with the house’s square footage. It’ll boost your property value!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ArmZ posted:

he's right in the sense that we are still dealing with the legacy of 1970s white flight and anti-annexation laws that moved the property tax base (AKA school funding) to the suburbs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_dependence

Yeah but taking the worst and most exaggerated example of a thing and then insisting that everyone who does that thing is only doing it because of that worst and most exaggerated example is PFCs posting style. So therefore if anyone has ever moved to a different school district to avoid minorities then that means anyone who ever moves for their kids for any reason is doing it to avoid minorities and there is simply no other explanation possible.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
The city keeps adding tiny taxes to everything because they refuse to properly tax commercial real estate properties in a sustainable rate. Local listicles suggesting we rebel against over-taxation of the Netflix subscription should include a paragraph on moving into the suburbs, a living hell of car culture and chain restaurants.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Yeah but taking the worst and most exaggerated example of a thing and then insisting that everyone who does that thing is only doing it because of that worst and most exaggerated example is PFCs posting style. So therefore if anyone has ever moved to a different school district to avoid minorities then that means anyone who ever moves for their kids for any reason is doing it to avoid minorities and there is simply no other explanation possible.

These days they're doing it to avoid the homeless who happen to be minorities

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
all of my white as hell friends simply got priced out of owning homes in the city because nobody has a million dollars to spend on their first house.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Thoguh posted:

cspam is a land of contrasts :xd:

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

all of my white as hell friends simply got priced out of owning homes in the city because nobody has a million dollars to spend on their first house.

Yeah I feel like my city blew past the million dollar mark and the average is closer to 1.5-2 million to buy something in the city now. Who the hell is buying these places?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Raccooon posted:

Yeah I feel like my city blew past the million dollar mark and the average is closer to 1.5-2 million to buy something in the city now. Who the hell is buying these places?

Investors that get way better borrowing rates than families

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Bastard Tetris posted:

Investors that get way better borrowing rates than families

it's this

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

ProperGanderPusher posted:

If we could just afford a two bedroom apartment and not have our rent jacked way up every other year we would have seriously considered raising kids in the city. It had nothing to do with making sure our daughter didn’t encounter any poors or browns at school. As a matter of fact there’s more of those in the suburb we wound up in since they’ve all been priced out of the city along with us.

Yeah, the inner ring suburb schools around here that my friends & I all send our kids to are majority minority. The people who didn't leave the city were the rich ones who could afford to buy in the heavily white areas of north side Chicago. Those areas are pretty much just young transplants renting with roommates, then well to do mansion owners.

It seems more economic based than anything else for where people live. The big exception was that pre-covid, people would have to move based on their commute (one spouse working an hour north, one an hour south, so bought in the middle) or living near parents for free childcare. I'm not sure if and how work from home has changed that, especially now that most people around me want to be in the office a few days a week (but not more than 3)

trevorreznik has issued a correction as of 18:14 on Jul 10, 2023

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

this is an abandoned house that's gutted inside and they still added the "glowing windows and sunset sky" filter

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

it looks like that house is on fire inside.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Crusty Nutsack posted:

this is an abandoned house that's gutted inside and they still added the "glowing windows and sunset sky" filter

nice monster house

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Crusty Nutsack posted:

such a high percentage of homes I’m seeing online have those windows. I go to street view to see how it actually looks.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

looks like a facade with bright sky behind it

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

sonatinas posted:

such a high percentage of homes I’m seeing online have those windows. I go to street view to see how it actually looks.

we're selling my grandmas house and they have a filter that kicks up the brightness by like 5000 percent so rooms that arent well lit look like they have extremely natural lighting lol

its all false advertising now

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

anime was right posted:

we're selling my grandmas house and they have a filter that kicks up the brightness by like 5000 percent so rooms that arent well lit look like they have extremely natural lighting lol

my favorite is when the kitchen is stretched out and then you look at another picture and all of a sudden the appliances are back to their original dimension

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

anime was right posted:

They also add a wide lens to make them look bigger. And don’t forget the classics such as “paint over rot” and “hide wall cracks behind furniture and pictures and hope the inspectors miss them”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It's probably High Dynamic Range photography. Take multiple pictures at different exposures at the same spot and then merge them. Smart devices started to support it as a basic setting a few years ago, so listing agents just need to know the One Weird Trick and there you go.

I think you can even get that dusk window reflection from it, but there has to be lights on inside.