Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Ravus Ursus posted:

But they'll cancel all the pizza parties and summer spirit activities like *checks emails* dress down Tuesday and western Wednesday's cowboy costume and chili cook-off (please eat your lunch at your desk to balance the time spent at spirit activities)

I mean, I'm looking for another gig. I got denied WFH when my alternator took a poo poo but the guy behind me worked from home because he was too sore from weeding in his garden on SATURDAY.

This reminds me of when I got written up for not being able to go into work because a monsoon had washed the road out. (I lived in the boonies then) I took a picture of the cops that were at the blockade, still wasn't good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Pyrtanis posted:

This reminds me of when I got written up for not being able to go into work because a monsoon had washed the road out. (I lived in the boonies then) I took a picture of the cops that were at the blockade, still wasn't good enough.

Oh yeah there is a definite link between how terrible a job is and an expectation to arrive on time for every shift with no regard to what is happening. A friend was being told to get to work during a blizzard with no safe way of doing so and had a minor breakdown on the phone before being informed well, maybe just this once you don’t have to come in. It was an airport kiosk gig selling body wash.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We don’t get snow that often here so when it happens everything just stops because we don’t have the infrastructure for it.

I walked 5 miles through it to a dumb retail job because my boss insisted we had to open the store, then about half an hour after I got there he decided we had to close the store for everyone’s benefit and not at all because it looked like they were gonna close the bridge he has to drive over to avoid a several hour long detour on the way home.

Weird :thunk:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Dang. Pre-covid my MegaCorp was anti-WFH so when a blizzard hit official policy was either come in or use a vacation day, which wasn’t terribly popular especially with parents who had no child care. It was so poorly received managers quietly went around making sure their teams knew that if anyone was unexpectedly sick the next few days that would be approved no questions asked.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

We don’t get snow that often here so when it happens everything just stops because we don’t have the infrastructure for it.

I walked 5 miles through it to a dumb retail job because my boss insisted we had to open the store, then about half an hour after I got there he decided we had to close the store for everyone’s benefit and not at all because it looked like they were gonna close the bridge he has to drive over to avoid a several hour long detour on the way home.

Weird :thunk:

Once in like high school there was a snow storm that was pretty bad, but the district hadn't even put out a delay - around that time, they usually went one-hour delay, then a two-hour delay, then finally closing. It got closer and closer to the time when I had to get ready to go in and suddenly the cancellation notice went out.

My mom worked at an elementary school at the time and learned that the superintendent got into an accident on the way in and ONLY THEN decided "wow, people shouldn't be driving in this" and cancelled school.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Pyrtanis posted:

When we had a snow storm last year, the day prior this same boss stopped by my desk and asked me if I had enough work I could take home to WFH if the snow was bad enough.

Please note, she has also worked from home and at one point was working remotely for 2 days , from THAILAND, while on vacation....

Its entirely because the entire company policy changes based on the Owners current mood. She gave everyone off on Monday before July 4th as a part of employee appreciation. Meanwhile, she just dropped 50k to haul her husband, mom, and 3 kids to Main for a week and wrote it all off and "Board Retreat" the entire Board is her and her Husband.

But during the week between Xmas and New Years she had the attorney literally walking to each person in the office and writing down a list of what they were doing because, and I literally heard her screaming this over the phone to the lawyer, "I'm not paying these loving people to hang out."

I mean, I've walked into your office to find the office manager combing and braiding your hair. Shut up.

Oh, and the absolute kicker. Everyone in the company is classified either Salary and overtime exempt, or a contractor. Despite probably 75% of staff not meeting the standards for either classification.

They also hire the kids of employees and summer help and pay them as 1099 employees so no taxes are withheld for their work.

They also pay their underage children wages and all their taxes are paid by the company.

Now that I type this all out I'm realize I should probably actually get out before the IRS fines them into bankruptcy.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Ravus Ursus posted:

Oh, and the absolute kicker. Everyone in the company is classified either Salary and overtime exempt, or a contractor. Despite probably 75% of staff not meeting the standards for either classification.

They also hire the kids of employees and summer help and pay them as 1099 employees so no taxes are withheld for their work.

They also pay their underage children wages and all their taxes are paid by the company.

Now that I type this all out I'm realize I should probably actually get out before the IRS fines them into bankruptcy.
https://www.irs.gov/compliance/whistleblower-office

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Report them yourself for the reward money.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Ravus Ursus posted:

When we had a snow storm last year, the day prior this same boss stopped by my desk and asked me if I had enough work I could take home to WFH if the snow was bad enough.

Please note, she has also worked from home and at one point was working remotely for 2 days , from THAILAND, while on vacation....

Its entirely because the entire company policy changes based on the Owners current mood. She gave everyone off on Monday before July 4th as a part of employee appreciation. Meanwhile, she just dropped 50k to haul her husband, mom, and 3 kids to Main for a week and wrote it all off and "Board Retreat" the entire Board is her and her Husband.

But during the week between Xmas and New Years she had the attorney literally walking to each person in the office and writing down a list of what they were doing because, and I literally heard her screaming this over the phone to the lawyer, "I'm not paying these loving people to hang out."

I mean, I've walked into your office to find the office manager combing and braiding your hair. Shut up.

Report this. Start documenting evidence. Get coworker's statements if you can. Take these fuckos down

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

Does that make sense at all?

Makes sense now, thanks!

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Not *my* work, but good lord.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Verdugo posted:

Lol they literally cannot enforce that and it's arguably illegal in most states. Amazing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Randy Travesty posted:

Lol they literally cannot enforce that and it's arguably illegal in most states. Amazing.

It's illegal in every at-will employment state, which is literally every state except Montana.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Verdugo posted:

w...what do they think they're going to be able to do to keep you from walking? chain you to the fryer?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Killingyouguy! posted:

w...what do they think they're going to be able to do to keep you from walking? chain you to the fryer?

Don't let them think that's an option

McGavin posted:

Report them yourself for the reward money.

RC Cola posted:

Report this. Start documenting evidence. Get coworker's statements if you can. Take these fuckos down

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
We have pretty good proof that one of our customers is taking units we’ve repaired apart and putting bad parts in them, then sending the unit back to be fixed under warranty. The smoking gun would be the actual repair ticket for the original service for the unit. The problem is that our finance department recently moved out of the building, and their department was storing all the paperwork. It should be fine though, because this ticket was done after everyone knew about the move. So where is the paperwork? “Oh they haven’t found a place yet.” Wait, they’re not so stupid as to destroy those records. They have to be somewhere. “Yeah, over on that cart”. A giant cart stacked high with papers in no particular order. I’m talking stuff from thousands and thousands of orders. How am I supposed to find what I need? “They haven’t figured it out yet”. Alright….we’ll just keep letting this guy scam us, I guess. :shrug:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Outrail posted:

Don't let them think that's an option

Dumb poo poo your work does: Snitches get riches

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Comstar posted:

I was asked in an interview for a tech support role on what was the most recent book and magazine I had read. This was back when magazine's actually existed.

I get this in library interviews a lot. I've always wanted to answer, do you mean the book that I'm actually reading or the one that I'm supposed to say I'm reading in interviews?

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

I brought my Drake posted:

I get this in library interviews a lot. I've always wanted to answer, do you mean the book that I'm actually reading or the one that I'm supposed to say I'm reading in interviews?

Oh great question I’m working my way though this bootleg audiobook recording where some old lady is reading ‘50 shades of gray’ and she is so so uncomfortable about all the dirty, dirty sex and the audio guy has to keep screaming at her to keep going it’s hilarious. Also reading ‘powershell in a month of lunches’ and it’s a little beneath me but there’s still some good tips

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

frest posted:

i am grandfathered into a pension plan that will let me retire at 55 with like a 10k/mo pension, maybe less if i do the variant that gives my wife the full pension if i predecease her. my certificate of appreciation is the paycheck i get. i do not look for praise from these assholes. i just want them to stop actively loving with me. they remove me from email DLs and tell our internal partners to direct communication to them only, so jobs sit in their 1000 unread emails for weeks

My dad worked as an engineer for SCL, and chose the lower predeceased option on his pension, and Holy loving poo poo has that decision been a boon to our family. Dad died pretty young, around his 65th birthday, and his pension going to Mom means, essentially, that my brother and I will never have to support her financially, which we would at any cost, but instead she can spend their savings on touring the world while she's able, and when she gets too old to live on her own, we'll be able to sell her house and get her the best possible care. She'll probably make more than a million dollars off that pension, based on how great a health she's in right now, that's a million my brother and I can put in our lovely 401ks.

My work's been pretty not stupid, except for the usual refusing to prefambulate components stuff, and one of my employees asking me to skip training for a doctor's appointment, me saying "no problem" and them spending an hour trying to passively get me to say "no" before just saying "I don't want to go, I just want a text from you saying I can't to show my wife" which is loving weird.

I need to get my GF to post here, she's made her company raise her salary 50% in the last two years by threatening to quit multiple times, and now has multiple business units fighting each other to offer her a promotion that comes with either 100% remote work and a free car, a 50/50 blend at a higher salary, or the same hours and stress level and like a 75% pay bump.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Elviscat posted:

My dad worked as an engineer for SCL, and chose the lower predeceased option on his pension, and Holy loving poo poo has that decision been a boon to our family. Dad died pretty young, around his 65th birthday, and his pension going to Mom means, essentially, that my brother and I will never have to support her financially, which we would at any cost, but instead she can spend their savings on touring the world while she's able, and when she gets too old to live on her own, we'll be able to sell her house and get her the best possible care. She'll probably make more than a million dollars off that pension, based on how great a health she's in right now, that's a million my brother and I can put in our lovely 401ks.

My work's been pretty not stupid, except for the usual refusing to prefambulate components stuff, and one of my employees asking me to skip training for a doctor's appointment, me saying "no problem" and them spending an hour trying to passively get me to say "no" before just saying "I don't want to go, I just want a text from you saying I can't to show my wife" which is loving weird.

I need to get my GF to post here, she's made her company raise her salary 50% in the last two years by threatening to quit multiple times, and now has multiple business units fighting each other to offer her a promotion that comes with either 100% remote work and a free car, a 50/50 blend at a higher salary, or the same hours and stress level and like a 75% pay bump.

Let me know if/when you break up

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Domus posted:

We have pretty good proof that one of our customers is taking units we’ve repaired apart and putting bad parts in them, then sending the unit back to be fixed under warranty. The smoking gun would be the actual repair ticket for the original service for the unit. The problem is that our finance department recently moved out of the building, and their department was storing all the paperwork. It should be fine though, because this ticket was done after everyone knew about the move. So where is the paperwork? “Oh they haven’t found a place yet.” Wait, they’re not so stupid as to destroy those records. They have to be somewhere. “Yeah, over on that cart”. A giant cart stacked high with papers in no particular order. I’m talking stuff from thousands and thousands of orders. How am I supposed to find what I need? “They haven’t figured it out yet”. Alright….we’ll just keep letting this guy scam us, I guess. :shrug:

When I worked at Ingersol Rand we had this going on. We caught the fuckers when they messed up and tried to do the bait and switch on gauges rather than just valves and other sundry items.

Thing is - we calibrated our own gauges, we didnt send them out to be done, so we had individual gauge certs with serial numbers, attached to each and every job. When they sent the compressor back, which we produced 6 months ago, it had gauges on with serial numbers that were supplied 5.5 years ago, off a compressor we'd supplied to them previously and they'd installed and were servicing.

Obviously theyd replaced all the gauges for their customer as part of this and were trying to get us to foot the bill for the gauges with the bait and switch. Bafflingly it wasnt a huge amount of money, only a grand tops, but we made them pay it plus installation time after we called them out on it because we couldn't guarantee gauges that old.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Online training has a quiz that requires 90% or better to pass, 9 multiple choice questions

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Elviscat posted:

You'd have to really hate your spouse to not trade a few hundred bucks a month for lifetime payments for them. there's a ton of pension variations, including some real dogshit trap choices like having an initially high payout for a handful of years that levels out to a much lower one when you become eligible for SS payments.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We’ve tweaked our online training modules so that if you fail the quiz when you hit retry it just takes you back to the questions you got wrong, so as long as you read the little ‘you should have selected me, referring to you’ box that popped up when you hosed it up you can just mush the right answers in and get a perfect score to check that box on the “has everyone been told this” list:

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

We’ve tweaked our online training modules so that if you fail the quiz when you hit retry it just takes you back to the questions you got wrong, so as long as you read the little ‘you should have selected me, referring to you’ box that popped up when you hosed it up you can just mush the right answers in and get a perfect score to check that box on the “has everyone been told this” list:

good, that perfectly meets the definition of "has everyone been told this" without making someone cycle through all of the options on some trick question

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

frest posted:

You'd have to really hate your spouse to not trade a few hundred bucks a month for lifetime payments for them. there's a ton of pension variations, including some real dogshit trap choices like having an initially high payout for a handful of years that levels out to a much lower one when you become eligible for SS payments.

I don’t know quite all the details of how it went down, but I know my grandfather chose the full pension option when he retired way back when (maybe late 70s early 80s). At some point I heard the story that my grandmother was pissed when my grandfather told her he took the full pension. I also think his retirement was a bit unplanned. I believe he was management at a Western Electric plant, and just came home one day retired. Something to do with stress and ulcers.

But it ended up working out in the end. My grandfather outlived my grandmother by like 15 years. It helped that he lived a generally healthy lifestyle and stayed active until the last couple years of his life when things started to deteriorate a little bit too much to do the fun activities like golf that he enjoyed.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Dumb poo poo my work does: trust its idiot employees to clean up after themselves. Disks keep filling up because these idiots forget test outputs are still files and files take disk space.

But anything other than trust would be ~mean~

There is some automatic cleanup but in the interest of not being ~mean~ it has an incredibly long wait period before it deletes anything and they hit the quota way faster than that

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

First I translated a product catalog. Kinda woo but the content is not my problem.

Now I'm doing the website and it hasn't been updated to match the product names and range in the catalog. The intermediary client says that the catalog is newer so use those names.

Will the end client redo the original website to match the catalog? Shouldn't they have done that before translation? Will they pay me twice to do it all over again?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You should just use whatever names you think sound best. Go fully interpretive.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

goatface posted:

You should just use whatever names you think sound best. Go fully interpretive.

We're struggling with this. Our training material is done in English and then the translation was outsourced. The software was developed in Danish, and the English translation was done in house. But the rest of it was outsourced. Add in some Windows translation oddities and we have a lot of stuff with different names. Two of my coworkers got frustrated with it and are handling the Spanish and Portuguese translations to try to get everything to match. But it's a nightmare.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Having been involved in making that stuff whenever possible I’d have it set so users could mash the next button to fly through if they wanted. The terrible courses where users had to listen to someone read a policy for ten minutes are like that because HR insisted, I’m so sorry.

MonkeyHate posted:

Oh great question I’m working my way though this bootleg audiobook recording where some old lady is reading ‘50 shades of gray’ and she is so so uncomfortable about all the dirty, dirty sex and the audio guy has to keep screaming at her to keep going it’s hilarious. Also reading ‘powershell in a month of lunches’ and it’s a little beneath me but there’s still some good tips

It’s interesting to learn about the world of audiobook recordings, the high profile ones feel professionally edited but I’ve listened to a few where the narration re-reads some paragraphs & get the idea he was put in a booth with no supervision & assumed that would be edited in post-production, but it was just released as they probably had a dozen more books in the queue.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Thomamelas posted:

We're struggling with this. Our training material is done in English and then the translation was outsourced. The software was developed in Danish, and the English translation was done in house. But the rest of it was outsourced. Add in some Windows translation oddities and we have a lot of stuff with different names. Two of my coworkers got frustrated with it and are handling the Spanish and Portuguese translations to try to get everything to match. But it's a nightmare.

A friend of mine does agency translation work, chinese -> english, and he gets UI stuff through sometimes. He's told me a lot about being sent strings with no context to them from companies who complain if they're offered options or asked to clarify, because "the translator should know how to translate".

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Killingyouguy! posted:

Dumb poo poo my work does: trust its idiot employees to clean up after themselves. Disks keep filling up because these idiots forget test outputs are still files and files take disk space.

There is some automatic cleanup but in the interest of not being ~mean~ it has an incredibly long wait period before it deletes anything and they hit the quota way faster than that

Lol at my old super lovely job when they started trying to pivot me away from lab manager into bullshit responsibilities at one meeting they asked me "do you think you could take on the responsibility of keeping our* cloud storage organized?"

I just straight up said "no... I'm not going to clean up after everyone else" and they didn't know how to respond to that other than "oh okay... well maybe just think about it"

*The entire organization's, not just my department within it

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Killingyouguy! posted:

all this focus on not being "mean" makes me think that at some point your company got sued to the shadow realm over workplace harassment

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Pyrtanis posted:

all this focus on not being "mean" makes me think that at some point your company got sued to the shadow realm over workplace harassment

We once had some low level employees complain to hr about workplace harassment from a manager and hr brought in a ton of lawyers specifically to prove that the manager was not doing any workplace harassment (he totally was but the lawyers declared it did not meet the legal definition of harassment) and all the low level employees left and the manager stayed.

Unfortunately the focus on not being mean is much older than this episode. Our whole culture is focused on coddling middle and upper management for reasons I can't get into without doxxing myself

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Killingyouguy! posted:

We once had some low level employees complain to hr about workplace harassment from a manager and hr brought in a ton of lawyers specifically to prove that the manager was not doing any workplace harassment (he totally was but the lawyers declared it did not meet the legal definition of harassment) and all the low level employees left and the manager stayed.

Unfortunately the focus on not being mean is much older than this episode. Our whole culture is focused on coddling middle and upper management for reasons I can't get into without doxxing myself

Is this username related?

The reasons are the Peter principal and human nature.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

goatface posted:

A friend of mine does agency translation work, chinese -> english, and he gets UI stuff through sometimes. He's told me a lot about being sent strings with no context to them from companies who complain if they're offered options or asked to clarify, because "the translator should know how to translate".

This is absolutely a thing. Translating user manuals is fun because you have terms that are incredibly device-specific, yet have no idea what the device even looks like and the source text is mostly terrible Baidu Translate English. Everything is outsourced to hell so good luck asking questions.

At least the pay is on time.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Killingyouguy! posted:

I swear to God if I didn't know any better we worked at similar places.

They'd had all our storage space for all files on a single drive in a back room. And it was like 2TB for the entire 70ish person company. I have found just straight up music stored on this thing. There would be monthly emails about clearing old files because we were running out of room constantly.

They finally bought an entire server rack. It's in a 3x3 closet.

The maintenance guy said it was an OSHA violation for it to be there and it was met with "it temporary". We're going on 6 months. and it can't be a temp location. You had the internet provider and electricians come out and run cabling to that room and no where else.

We also have rule 1: you have to be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I keep telling my team that we have a real bad habit of making temporary solutions permanent and they don't listen to me and now we have a mess of load bearing python crons that really, really need to be actual applications

But "it works" so we don't