Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The look on his face is very much "stop bothering me, I'm trying to take a photo of my arse."
I just beat Kirk Johnson's record and now the timer goes off?

e: well that was a snipe. 112 is a good number to know if you're going to attempt that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Some good ones in here for connoisseurs of Rare Brendans

https://twitter.com/stellaomalley3/status/1678324494379753474?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's the inner voice that's ruling me tyranically, spitefully, and self destructively. Definitely the inner voice.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My inner voice is calling Brendan O'Neill a forehead apocalypse but also my outer voice because he is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Brendan's inner forehead but instead of foam it's poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Aoc4ffXlRA&t=130s

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Guavanaut posted:

Brendan's inner forehead but instead of foam it's poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Aoc4ffXlRA&t=130s
Excited to die by suffocating on foam instead of smoke!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Welp, my UCU (University and College Union) branch officially voted to go on strike for the first two weeks of the semester. Looks like we'll be back on the picket lines soon enough.

Also just discovered that the UCU congress quietly voted to pass the following resolution at the end of May, which has led to much consternation among various local branches since:

quote:

i. UCU to call upon Russia to withdraw its troops and for the UK government to stop arming Ukraine.

:ohdear:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds okay as long as it's in that order. Does the UCU hold much sway with the Russian armed forces?

cat botherer posted:

Excited to die by suffocating on foam instead of smoke!
That's a good reason to leave any kind of hangar when the bad whistle goes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MeinPanzer posted:

Also just discovered that the UCU congress quietly voted to pass the following resolution at the end of May, which has led to much consternation among various local branches since:

:ohdear:

To be fair, if the Russians hosed off home we wouldn't need to further arm Ukraine. But it takes a special kind of stupid to think that Putin wouldn't say "lol, sure" if that deal was on the table then come back five minutes after we'd collected up the last loaned piece of equipment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps the UCU would like to be armed instead.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Jedit posted:

To be fair, if the Russians hosed off home we wouldn't need to further arm Ukraine. But it takes a special kind of stupid to think that Putin wouldn't say "lol, sure" if that deal was on the table then come back five minutes after we'd collected up the last loaned piece of equipment.

That's the main problem I have with this resolution, which is relatively coy but clearly of a piece with a lot of similar arguments made by leftists: it equates Russia's invasion of Ukraine with the West's support for Ukraine's defence, as if they're comparable examples of imperialism. There's always some kind of mealy-mouthed language about Russia being in the wrong, but it's paired with an equal amount of condemnation of NATO and American/British imperialism.

I'm not a fan of the MIC or NATO expansion, but this perspective completely ignores the fact that this was a massive imperialist invasion of a sovereign country with at best the intention to seize its resources and install a puppet government and at worst to commit widespread atrocities and cultural genocide. The two sides can't be equated!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean more pressing to me is the close ties to the Tories and the current government of Russia, rather than our aiding the defence of Ukraine.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

I mean more pressing to me is the close ties to the Tories and the current government of Russia, rather than our aiding the defence of Ukraine.

This too, if we're going to talk about Russia--how many Ukrainian vs. Russian oligarchs are pumping money into Tory coffers? Which is why it's annoying that the UCU congress specifically went out of its way to pass a resolution that basically stated "Russia is bad, but Ukraine and the West are bad too, so who is to say who's worse?"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I always think back to this reporting https://time.com/5725041/uk-russian-assassins-heidi-blake/

Russia Was Linked to 14 Deaths in the U.K., but Britain Looked Away. A New Book Explores Why

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Public calls on UCU to end strikes, and government to meet demands.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Public calls on UCU to end strikes, and government to meet demands.

Exactly. See also the equating of responsibility for violence you get from Tories or Republicans whenever they're called on to comment on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also like, fundamentally failing to engage with the method of achieving the outcome, that the one exists to achieve the other. It has all the significance of writing down your wishes on a bit of paper and throwing it into a well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah, the Scott Adams solution

(the wishes are all racist)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

British libel laws are problematic, that's for sure, but I think I enjoy the weird little song and dance you have to do. It's like a high stakes magic trick, where if you gently caress up you're bankrupted and do a couple of years in prison.

They're not even that problematic any more, that got reformed like 20 years ago though that hasn't really seeped down into the (American) public consciousness. Try posting something like that in the US and you'd better drat well hope you're right or you're getting sued too.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bit late but Huw Edwards was one of the least lickspittle reporters on the BBC, kind of sucks tbh.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

So how long until the offender is likely to be outed? Seems like it can't last more than 24-48 hours at this point.

He’s removed BBC from his bio

Each time someone sends me a photo on WhatsApp I’m semi shielding my phone out of fear it’s that photo and I’m at work.

Mesopotamia fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 10, 2023

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Mesopotamia posted:

He’s removed BBC from his bio
He hasn't had BBC in his profile since he stopped using the one with BBC in the username which happened years ago.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Private Speech posted:

Bit late but Huw Edwards was one of the least lickspittle reporters on the BBC, kind of sucks tbh.

Him telling the BBC to gently caress off when they told him to take the Welsh flag out of his profile was a great moment.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

From my mate at ITV - rumour is Edwards has recorded a sit down interview with Amol Rajan , as per Philip Schofield

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

feedmegin posted:

They're not even that problematic any more, that got reformed like 20 years ago though that hasn't really seeped down into the (American) public consciousness. Try posting something like that in the US and you'd better drat well hope you're right or you're getting sued too.
American libel laws have been very restricted for a long time, since a case involving the NYT back in the 50s. In particular, it’s basically impossible for a “public figure” to sue for libel. The plaintiff must proof actual malice and that the defendant knew the alleged libelous speech was false. Americans post all sorts of deranged poo poo all the time and don’t get sued.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/SunApology/status/1678450932537860110

I think the Sun are going to get bankrupted over this lmao.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1678450172521586711

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1678414004811710468

Good thing nobody ITT said the name

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I saw posters asking why people weren't posting names earlier today, and this is exactly why.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I’d like to see the gutter press wriggle out of this one!

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
you could all have posted the name while pointing out a blurry photo of a 60yo mans rear end is not proof of child traficking :smuggo:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It will own so hard if this is the S*n "News of the World"-ing themselves

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I recall I have only commented on the rear end.

And to be frank, I have seen better. I question why someone with a mediocre rear end should be on the BBC.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Lol the Sun is going to be getting incredibly sued

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Lol the Sun is going to be getting incredibly sued

I don't even care if it's true or not, this is the ideal outcome.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This is incredibly funny on so many levels.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is this going to turn out to be something like the (unidentified) presenter being a subscriber to some teens only fans, which while legal was also a bit creepy, and which the mum got a hold of some pics and decided to cash in to the tabloids?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Other than the Sun lining up for a financial beating (nice) i have little interest in the story. :shrug:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Thanks Ants posted:

It will own so hard if this is the S*n "News of the World"-ing themselves

If this did it, it would kind of be disappointing that what ended the Sun wasn't demonising the city and people of Liverpool, it wasn't stoking up rape culture with it's page 3 girls (and using underage girls.) Or any of the other stuff it has done in it's history.

It was defaming a celebrity when it's own power and fortune had waned.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

keep punching joe posted:

Is this going to turn out to be something like the (unidentified) presenter being a subscriber to some teens only fans, which while legal was also a bit creepy, and which the mum got a hold of some pics and decided to cash in to the tabloids?

That would be one (boring) option. The funniest thing would be its completely made up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Private Speech posted:

If it is Edwards, then we shouldn't be too surprised that the BBC didn't defend him specifically.