Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

GreatGreen posted:

I don't "complain a lot." I complained about one or two things I didn't like about this game and the thread totally lost its poo poo about it, so I defended my position. It's called a "discussion" which can occasionally happen on discussion forums.

you do. I didn’t read the rest sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

SettingSun posted:

My definition of viable is probably a much lower bar than a lot of people, I am having a great time with a walking arsenal build. I'm blowing poo poo up in wt4 no problem. I mentioned before I clear entire rooms at once with iron maelstrom.
Most people don't actually try stuff themselves and engage with the mechanics of the game. They simply check all the build guides and if they don't see the words weapon swap then that means it's trash. Simple as.

Still haven't seen another pure caster druid out in the wild. Now that I've got my Exploit glyph leveled up it feels pretty powerful. Wish there were more uniques that were just big upgrades and didn't force you into a certain build. A lot of the wolf/bear stuff looks cool on paper but I don't wanna do any of that. I wanna be a fat guy standing still holding his hammer in the sky (note you can't actually do this because hammers have guaranteed overpower and axes have guaranteed healthy and my build has no use for overpower so I'm stuck using an axe).

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/273655548027731970/1127989964580339742/d31a6a79-dfad-4cd0-a2ac-709fa962ae03.mp4

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Axes are cooler than hammers and that’s a fact jack

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
This game's got the weirdest and cattiest fan-club, man don't sweat it.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

American McGay posted:

Most people don't actually try stuff themselves and engage with the mechanics of the game. They simply check all the build guides and if they don't see the words weapon swap then that means it's trash. Simple as.

Still haven't seen another pure caster druid out in the wild. Now that I've got my Exploit glyph leveled up it feels pretty powerful. Wish there were more uniques that were just big upgrades and didn't force you into a certain build. A lot of the wolf/bear stuff looks cool on paper but I don't wanna do any of that. I wanna be a fat guy standing still holding his hammer in the sky (note you can't actually do this because hammers have guaranteed overpower and axes have guaranteed healthy and my build has no use for overpower so I'm stuck using an axe).

this is pretty sick, did you need any rare aspects to pull this off?

I went full rock smash on mine and it's kinda meh without those 2 drop-only landslide aspects which I still haven't got

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

American McGay posted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/273655548027731970/1127989964580339742/d31a6a79-dfad-4cd0-a2ac-709fa962ae03.mp4

While leveling I eventually did a storm strike/landslide build with the various buffs for alternating earth and storm powers, it was a lot of fun and fully buffed landslide really deletes bosses fast. Caster druid is a good time and will probably get buffed so that people can actually see the cosmetic armor they paid for

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Doomykins posted:

D2 Act 5 but it rotates to a new city each day would be a sick Season gimmick that becomes core feature when retired.

Azmodan invades city, you beat him, and he flies off going "I'll get you next time, mortal!"

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Mustached Demon posted:

Azmodan invades city, you beat him, and he flies off going "I'll get you next time, mortal!"

"Puny Nephalem! I insist as I slowly shrink and turn into a lootchest"

I tried the pure lightning nature caster build but when I found that thing that makes being a bear a nature magic, it felt like I'd be deliberately sacrificing a ton of fun poo poo happening all at once.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The intro to the Andariel boss fight was so sick. Just seeing the looming shadow approaching off screen and then this horrific fucker chained to the stocks.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

SettingSun posted:

My definition of viable is probably a much lower bar than a lot of people, I am having a great time with a walking arsenal build. I'm blowing poo poo up in wt4 no problem. I mentioned before I clear entire rooms at once with iron maelstrom.

I am also enjoying a WA build with frenzy, hota, death blow, and iron maelstrom. I'm somewhere around level 60 and easily clearing the highest tier nightmare dungeons I can get in WT3 (I think the mobs are level 71 or something). I threw in stomp for funsies because I like making earthquakes, and I use iron skin with the aspect for CC break. If I needed more unstoppable could look into replacing stomp with a shout or iron maelstrom with zerk.

I've actually loved it for leveling because the vast majority of aspects work with the build instead of having to hunt for specific ones to turn it on. And I like being able to use five different attacks instead of like two attacks and four buffs or whateva. We'll see if I hit a wall at some point but really enjoying it so far and glad to hear it scales into WT4!

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

DLC Inc posted:

The intro to the Andariel boss fight was so sick. Just seeing the looming shadow approaching off screen and then this horrific fucker chained to the stocks.

All of that fight was just magnificent fan service. Especially the mid fight power up then just threw it back to some classic poo poo.

I even dug the narrative bits before it leading up to the fight. Though it reads way different when you leave about the heinous poo poo the story dev wanted to install do but the creative team rebelled over it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

GreatGreen posted:

I don't "complain a lot." I complained about one or two things I didn't like about this game and the thread lost its collective poo poo about it, so I defended my position. It's called a "discussion" which can occasionally happen on discussion forums.

do something else with your time.e veryone will be happier.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

American McGay posted:

lol cool

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'm playing a storm druid and it's fun.

Also an ice sorcerer - I use blizzard bc one of the upgrades makes my blizzard randomly happen around me and if I'm just running around it feels very like sit com mobile raincloud sadboy and it makes me happy.

I also have a necromancer that focuses on having a lotta guys to do stuff while I chat with my wife or smoke or whatever.

I like the game, and think if you aren't having fun you should probably go play a different game, it's ok that this one isn't for you. But it's also ok to post and complain because the burns have been pretty good sometimes.

Thanks for reading;

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Feels like almost every skill is viable in WT4 if you're fine putting the work in and understanding some skills aren't meant to torch every mob on screen instantly.

The season1 stuff was really promising to make some real crazy builds, I hope they'ren ot just tied to the same 2-3 generic build starters entirely.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ravus Ursus posted:

All of that fight was just magnificent fan service. Especially the mid fight power up then just threw it back to some classic poo poo.

I even dug the narrative bits before it leading up to the fight. Though it reads way different when you leave about the heinous poo poo the story dev wanted to install do but the creative team rebelled over it.

what exactly did the story dev want to do with that leadup to the fight? it seemed pretty stock standard

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I guess they're saying that was the character who was going to go by the raped woman but I haven't seen anything to indicate that- could also have been part of the cannibal city thing, or just something that got excised completely

e: this is the only stuff I've seen about it https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2022/12/08/diablo-iv-release-date-crunch/

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

DLC Inc posted:

what exactly did the story dev want to do with that leadup to the fight? it seemed pretty stock standard

It was more how they treated the possessed character. Some slimy poo poo about her being effectively naked when you find her and sme real heinous sexual abuse about another character that was ultimately cut.

I can't find the stuff specific to Taissa anymore but this, among many other articles, mentioned his involvement in the narrative.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/diablo-iv-developers-allege-mismanagement-crunch-and-disturbing-creative-decisions-in-new-report

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SettingSun posted:

Chomposaur posted:

I am also enjoying a WA build with frenzy, hota, death blow, and iron maelstrom. I'm somewhere around level 60 and easily clearing the highest tier nightmare dungeons I can get in WT3 (I think the mobs are level 71 or something). I threw in stomp for funsies because I like making earthquakes, and I use iron skin with the aspect for CC break. If I needed more unstoppable could look into replacing stomp with a shout or iron maelstrom with zerk.
Its nice to see that some other goons are using it because I dont think I've ever seen another Barb use Iron Maelstrom / not use WW, and I would love to compare notes.

My build is:
Lunge - Two handed sword/axe: Adds mobility and adds bleed
Double Swing - Single-handed weapons: Adds vuln, minor AoE area, can spam forever on stunned things
Death Blow - Two handed mace: I have it up to rank 11/5; it kills things
Ground Stomp - Inflicts stun
Iron Maelstrom - Owns
Shout that cancels CC - 'nuff said

I have the aspect of Encroaching Wrath (after spending 100 Fury, do 180% more damage with your next Weapon Mastery attack) and Earthstriker's Aspect (after swapping weapons 10 times, your next attack automatically overpowers and does 90% more damage). I can get both of those to fire off on the same Death Blow attack and take bosses from 90% to dead in one hit, its amazing, though sometimes hard to time.

I'm currently debating which Aspect to put on my new Amulet that adds 3 Death Blow ranks and like 25% move speed.

edit: I've debated swapping Lunge for Bash (more stunning) if I can get some boots to replace 100,000 Steps that have some goddamned move speed on them.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

GreatGreen posted:

No you don't understand. According to the Diablo 4 thread, anything that makes you waste your time doing things you don't want to do in this singleplayer game simply makes the things you want to do more meaningful. So, if you have to walk through all those empty corridors and backpedal through all those empty hallways you've already played through while you retrieve those door unlocking macguffins found in every other dungeon, well that's actually a good thing sorry.

Personally I think they should make movement speed 80% slower so when you finally do see enemies it's more exciting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

With the exception of this post and the usual suspects, i think the thread has been less violently antagonistic lately. It still happens, but if no one responds to those posters, it's easy to ignore. Wait, I'm responding and still going to hit post after realizing it. gently caress

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

What does "Lucky Hit: Critical strikes have up to a 5% chance to [do a thing]" mean? Does the lucky hit roll also have to be a critical strike roll and then 5% of the double rolled attacks do the thing?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Enigma posted:

What does "Lucky Hit: Critical strikes have up to a 5% chance to [do a thing]" mean? Does the lucky hit roll also have to be a critical strike roll and then 5% of the double rolled attacks do the thing?

Yes, since its multiplicative it doesnt really matter what order the events take place. The likelihood would be the critical strike chance multiplied by the skill lucky hit chance multiplied by 5%. Which uh, sounds really rare

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Chomposaur posted:

I've actually loved it for leveling because the vast majority of aspects work with the build instead of having to hunt for specific ones to turn it on. And I like being able to use five different attacks instead of like two attacks and four buffs or whateva. We'll see if I hit a wall at some point but really enjoying it so far and glad to hear it scales into WT4!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Its nice to see that some other goons are using it because I dont think I've ever seen another Barb use Iron Maelstrom / not use WW, and I would love to compare notes.

I made that earlier linked build and my experience at level 87, mostly chain running 55-59 nm dungeons, is that it still holds up reasonably well. I almost always play with a couple friends and we all seem to feel that my character is on par with our tornado wolf druid. Similar damage, substantially tankier, though obviously not as capable at range and I don't have near-permanent unstoppable. I think he will likely scale better towards 100 though since the remainder of his paragon board seems superior to what Barb has to offer. Not that we'll actually bother grinding to 100.

Biggest issue is that single target damage can feel anemic at times, particularly when crits and vuln windows aren't lining up and with the super inflated enemy health pools in multiplayer (nowhere near as big of a problem solo). If I'm the last one alive against some elites it can feel very random whether I splat them instantly or gently bonk them with my hammer for far longer than is comfortable. The bug where you are heavily incentivized to deliberately miss with hota vs single targets is also pretty garbage and I usually don't bother which doesn't help. Meanwhile the twisting blade rogue drastically outpaces both me and the druid vs single targets, but he also dies every other pack.

Also of note I suppose is that Deathblow can be very difficult to land kills with when mobs have so much hp, the damage variance is so high, and you have teammates also finishing enemies off. I still like it even though I'm not typically getting the cooldown reset. Can hit extremely hard, procs berserking + walking arsenal, and makes enemies vulnerable which you otherwise have difficulty accessing as a barb outside of the Exploit glyph. The second charge aspect makes it a lot more versatile.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 10, 2023

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

American McGay posted:

I'm glad you're having fun with the build but man that just looks incredibly boring to play. I like zipping around wrecking poo poo with my werewolf but to each their own.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I have to stop reading the lepers colony before this thread because some of y'all can't behave lol

Asproigerosis posted:

Very upsetting that the barbarian weapon master stuff is all useless and there are 0 viable builds for it

there's a fairly solid walking around build you could make where you use a well rolled Overkill and Ancients Oath, and you pull the mobs in with steel grasp, ground stomp, and drop the hammer. it's kinda hard to test how good it actually is since Overkill is required and Ancients Oath, while not required, brings fairly significant cdr to chain grasp, and also requires 3 glyphs nobody would otherwise give a poo poo about. you can also drop walking around and just run lunge, and when you reach a boss throw on your rage of harrogath for cdr procs since boss damage in this game is pitiful.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Ohhhh, now I get the thread title.
Hell toupee.
It's a bad pun that has little relation to the game.
It's still dumb but who cares what I think so am I.

Speaking of, I found this link I think is useful

https://d4planner.io/

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Decedent posted:

Ohhhh, now I get the thread title.
Hell toupee.
It's a bad pun that has little relation to the game.

One of the devs was uh... wearing? one during the livestream, it's not just a pun

Reddit comes through, someone posted this new tool D4Craft.com and it rules, I think they've figured out the estimated costs and stuff for rerolling as well as some of the available affixes / odds.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hell toupee is more relevant to D4 than Diablo himself is lol

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

dyzzy posted:

I guess they're saying that was the character who was going to go by the raped woman but I haven't seen anything to indicate that- could also have been part of the cannibal city thing, or just something that got excised completely

e: this is the only stuff I've seen about it https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2022/12/08/diablo-iv-release-date-crunch/

There are some weirdly hilarious anecdotes and asides from that article.

They had a weekly beer meeting for the team on Fridays, but people felt that non-IPA drinkers were discriminated against.

quote:

Before the covid-19 pandemic, there was a weekly beer share on Fridays run by McCree for the team to socialize. But several former employees said only beer drinkers, and specifically those bringing the right kinds of beers, were comfortable attending.

I get what the person saying "rape doesn't exist in the Diablo universe because it is too dark" is saying, but that is a really funny to say that and then in the next sentence brag about how long you spent modeling the flayed man who tortured via pain and sexual ecstasy by a Succubus.

They hired a writer who didn't speak English to write the script and then ran the script through a translator service to get a first draft.

quote:

Although Stępień had held a creative director title before, his background was more in cinematic directing than in game mechanics, and he approached “Diablo IV” from the perspective of taking the entire game and rewriting it himself.

In 2019, many Blizzard employees were disgusted by a version of the game’s script that repeatedly mentioned the rape of a love interest and referred to this female character as the raped woman as her primary description. Stępień had spent months working on this script, penning it in Polish and having a translator change it to English, according to several employees.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

bus hustler posted:

One of the devs was uh... wearing? one during the livestream, it's not just a pun

Reddit comes through, someone posted this new tool D4Craft.com and it rules, I think they've figured out the estimated costs and stuff for rerolling as well as some of the available affixes / odds.

Oh ok, that makes sense.

Thanks for the link too! Did you see that interactive map though? There's 160 Lilith shines and I am far too lazy to play this game with effort.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
There's 160 of those fuckin things?!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I'm already past slamming the game for hours and hours so filling in the lilith statues, knocking out a dungeon or two for a missing aspect is actually a pretty good filler.

The killer for me are the blue side quests. I eventually stopped doing them and now I just... don't care. And there's no way to track them all.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Dungeons would be fun if they had 50% less empty corridors and 100% more mob density.

I'm most irritated at how there are lots of little closets or side rooms from the main corridors that are just absolutely empty. They're only there for flavor or atmosphere I guess. When you first run the dungeons, the minimap makes it look like there's a lot of detail to the areas, but when you actually bother to look into every part, there's just nothing there.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

I found 140 or so just playing the game normally. I used the map to find the last 20 just because I wanted to have them all before season 1 and didn’t feel like spending 10 hours searching every nook and cranny.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Field Mousepad posted:

Hop on your horse and rid around clicking on them ignoring pretty much anything else and it's nearly not as intimidating.

The most incredible thing is the guy in tis thread who searched for and found 95% of them without using the interactive map.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah I find myself having way more fun doing world events like Helltides than I do traipsing around in dungeons, running back-and-forth to do nonsense. I found it to be a huge slog just to get one Glyph to 15 for the range increase (i'm like 3 NMs from it being there) and once I get there I think I'm just not going to care that much about levelling up my glyphs unless I can do it with friends.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Do I need to get all the Lilith shrines before the season?

I am a person with other hobbies, priorities,and responsibilities. But I also don't want to miss out.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I’ve got 3 glyphs to 15 and haven’t really gotten sick of NMD yet. The XP is really good, and they feel shorter than regular dungeons. Do thing -> middle room -> do other thing -> done. The only one that’s kind of annoying is the one that looks like a desert palace that seems really sprawling compared to all the others.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

For the werenado build with tempest roar, are you guys using earthen might or perfect storm as the key passive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This other quote from the article by a Blizzard employee about how they felt that the focus on Lilith's relationship with a man (her father, Mephisto) was anti-feminist was kind of funny, but also made me feel old.

quote:

Several current and former employees also found the representation and depiction of women in “Diablo IV” to be uninspired, particularly the game’s antagonist, Lilith, Queen of the Succubi. Some women in the game are relegated to traditional gender roles, or undermined by their proximity to a man.

“The story is just mid when it comes to diversity topics,” said a current Blizzard Albany employee, using slang meaning mediocre. “It doesn’t really do anything special there at all, or much of anything."

I love the "using slang meaning mediocre" insert from the WaPo.

It also confirms that some of the bafflingly dumb design decisions were because the team was listening to D2 fans who complained that D3 was "too arcade-y", "too light", and had too many QoL features.

quote:

“The problem with games like Diablo is that they are actually quite content heavy,” said a former longtime Blizzard employee, who added that the Diablo team’s desire to break free from “Diablo III” meant finding new solutions to systems that the previous installment had already established.

quote:

an effort to make “Diablo IV” feel grittier and tonally darker than the previous game