Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm swallowing my pride and saying I'll take them because lately this thread aside from one guy is a goddamn desert now. The bumper crop days seem to be over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If I were near my computer I'd Photoshop the cat lady throwing psalms

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Halisnacks posted:

I feel there are bad seasons/episodes that still had enough hangers-on that many Simpsons fans would still get the references even if the source material was not good. The jockey episode was one of those. That same season produced “stupid sexy Flanders”, for what it’s worth.

A lot of the classic widely shared memes come from post Season 12. I was actually quite surprised to realize it on a re-watch.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was still in high school thru season 16, so lots of that still sticks for me.

The main reason the show declined, aside from success and wealth being kryptonite for creativity, is the rest of pop culture also got worse so there isn't anything worth parodying

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

vvv:

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 10, 2023

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
We need someone to come in and have a meltdown or something so we can make fun of them via meme for a few pages or so. The thread's at it's best when it's goons making new content imo, rather than just posting collections of content made by others, and outside of Haschel we don't get that often.

Yes I realize I post complaining about goons not making content while also not posting any content that I've made.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Halisnacks posted:

I feel there are bad seasons/episodes that still had enough hangers-on that many Simpsons fans would still get the references even if the source material was not good. The jockey episode was one of those. That same season produced “stupid sexy Flanders”, for what it’s worth.

Isn’t the Moe throws out Barney, Barney is instantly behind him a relatively late season? Same with Lisa lecturing with a PowerPoint.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Halisnacks posted:

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Isn’t the Moe throws out Barney, Barney is instantly behind him a relatively late season? Same with Lisa lecturing with a PowerPoint.

"Reference" is the key word there. Without dialogue the meaning of Moe throwing out Barney or Lisa lecturing is still obvious for a blank template. They're not just references, they work for memes even for people who have never seen the show. But the image posted above of Jimbo's crotch is only a reference cuz it won't work for anyone who doesn't know Bart was ragging on Jimbo's cord.

There's no actual problem with using later season stuff as long as people get it. But like, I have no clue what those jockey fairies were originally saying so I don't really get that one.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Are you suggesting a challenge to come up with the best season 30+ meme?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

pixaal posted:

Are you suggesting a challenge to come up with the best season 30+ meme?

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I have never actually seen the episode this is from or what context the image is in. A bold new frontier of lacking combinatory value!

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Lobok posted:

"Reference" is the key word there. Without dialogue the meaning of Moe throwing out Barney or Lisa lecturing is still obvious for a blank template. They're not just references, they work for memes even for people who have never seen the show.

It’s basically the difference between a normal joke and an inside joke. Any inside jokes from the later seasons will land with fewer and fewer people.

There are memes of the “normal joke” variety from the good early seasons that people can get without having seen the show too, like Homer backing into the hedge.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Halisnacks posted:

There are memes of the “normal joke” variety from the good early seasons that people can get without having seen the show too, like Homer backing into the hedge.

Yeah even people who know nothing about the Simpsons reference that one.

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1084620821341954048?t=9pXZmYYbHRA9cuNiYDhQPA&s=19

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Party Boat posted:

Yeah even people who know nothing about the Simpsons reference that one.

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1084620821341954048?t=9pXZmYYbHRA9cuNiYDhQPA&s=19

But Lisa is the one that sent the gif in this gif. No wait I read that as Lisa: it's Lisa, it's from Homer.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

There are times I think I'm a funny guy, then I see stuff like this and feel like a real schmo.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

pixaal posted:

But Lisa is the one that sent the gif in this gif. No wait I read that as Lisa: it's Lisa, it's from Homer.

Either way it would loop back to someone clueless about Simpsons: a modern Simpsons writer

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Party Boat posted:

Either way it would loop back to someone clueless about Simpsons: a modern Simpsons writer

At least one of them has a Simpsons major.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hey, Johnson!

p_e_z_z
Feb 27, 2020

simble
May 11, 2004

Wrong frame, but I'll allow it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

p_e_z_z
Feb 27, 2020

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU