Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Beachcomber posted:

I was going to say Trash from RotLD doesn't look like that, but apparently she kinda does? Weird.

Yeah, it's probably my messiest composite since there's no really good shot of Trash as a zombie from the front, so I had to like...slap together her human clothes with of all things a mask of her zombie form. It gets the job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

WeaponX posted:

Never wanted something to be real more in my life

sadako in a fighting game would be one of those characters with traps... you would get a tv you move around the stage to teleport or attack out of...

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Combination puppet/trap build, guide your assist character around the stage to plug in TVs with a short animation of the video. 7 seconds timer optional.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Red Door was fine, it's as dumb as all the other Blumhouse movies, for good or Ill. The audience did go nuts at the credit scene [spoiler]When Gabriel showed up to recruit Josh to the Monster Squad and then Ed Warren came out of that portal[spoiler]

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

[spoiler]When Gabriel showed up to recruit Josh to the Monster Squad and then Ed Warren came out of that portal[spoiler]

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Who's the guy to the left of Nosferatu?

I can name most of these but some I didn't get.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hollismason posted:

Nosferatu is a description. His name is Orlok.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Beachcomber posted:

the technical term is dracula. he's a dracula.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Stink Billyums posted:

No, that's his species.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Stink Billyums posted:

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I see Freddy took a seat near the kids

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I still can't figure out who that's suppose to be

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
it's the babadook

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

VROOM VROOM posted:

it's the babadook

The guy to the left not the right.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Hollismason posted:

noel gallagher

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

A higher resolution pic of that guy:

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
According to the artist it is just a Victim/snack

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
https://twitter.com/BenzieQueen/status/1490091086747996160/photo/1

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Hollismason posted:

Spock- a vile, green blooded alien

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

I feel like Patrick Wilson's sideburns should be a unlockable.

When you hit him enough, they start flashing, then they fall off, and he does double damage, but takes double damage as well.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 10, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

oh i didn't got a good look at this one earlier... throwing beatrice in there too is inspired

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I feel like Sinister really limited its own potential with the moving houses thing. Also the black metal bad guy just didnt land as well as Insidious’s darth maul.

The Sinister films were okay enough. Buguul's look worked for the setting. But what really was standout for the films were the mini murder reels. When I was watching, I was more anticipating the next film mini than the main story. With Insidious, from what I've seen is just more compelling overall, the storyline revelations mesh rather than feel smooshed in, the characters come across organically fleshed out. I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing Red Door soon as there's room in the showings when I'm not working.

It's such a mixed bag living in a city that loves scary movies. It's great to see them do well, but dammit, I wanna see them on the big screen too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I stumbled upon this on MAX just now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1pVLJl_snc

:stare:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I vastly prefer the first Sinister over Sinister 2

So the new Insidious already made bank and was #1, so we're probably getting at least one more sequel, in addition to the already-in-development spinoff Thread (starring Mandy Moore and Kumail Nanjiani) and the long-planned Sinister crossover

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

all this and they couldn't get the Dark Universe off the ground smdh

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Hello new horror thread. Infinity Pool is good and Mia Goth is great.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

all this and they couldn't get the Dark Universe off the ground smdh

I think what happened with Dark Universe tanking hard was that the studio execs were impressively stupid in handling it. They were looking at the shared Marvel and DC films and were all 'oooh shiny!', and looked at League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and said 'we gotta plan!' which frankly sucked so hard it blew.

It is possible to do a Universal Monster shared universe, but it requires actual familiarity with the material instead of looking at 'we got a mummy, a wolfguy..etc...'. Ages back I was in a classic monsters discussion group and we had a thing where a member would get picked to be lead conversation head for a month and that person tended to do something special like show off their collection from being a Monster Kid, another shared recipes he'd gotten from the various actor's family members, and I wrote what was pretty much a fanfic where the monsters got the happy endings. Imhotep was the mastermind having learned from his missteps and went through recruiting. Frankenstein's Monster was the only other 'canon' recruit with the others being connected such as the wolfman was Talbot's grandson and while Larry had been cured, the lycanthropy skipped a generation, the vampire was a dhampir who's mother was a maid Dracula fed on while he was settling in at Carfax Abbey...etc. Some monsters didn't make it like Eric just went missing after the Opera fiasco, and the Creature from the Black Lagoon couldn't be found and presumed in deep hiding or extinct. The antagonists were the descendants of the assorted film's heroes who all had their emotional baggage. Ending had Imhotep finally reconciling with Anksunamun and having a comfortable life together, Wolfman was at peace with the lycanthropy, Frankenstein's Monster got a new body and functioning mind, had gone to med school and was now a teacher who'd run with the joke of 'I am the monster' when students would ask about his last name and his scars.

The story went over well with the group and over the years I've debated doing one for the Hammer films just for fun.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I went on a bit of a horror streaming binge this weekend.

Evil Dead Rise was bloody good fun. However, while I know it's a time-honored trope that the monsters have to get stupid at the finale so the designated survivors can make it out, it was so blatant here. The deadites are fast, cunning, cruel, and completely loving unstoppable... until they decide to merge into a gangly, slow multi-headed thing that accomplishes nothing and in fact helps the humans by flooding the elevator with blood before dropping it, so they survive what would otherwise have been a fatal drop. Still liked it a lot.

Did not like Under the Skin. Honestly, I kept having Skinamarink flashbacks. Movies where nobody has a name, nobody has a goal there's no stakes, and it's mostly static shots with droning background noise clearly scare some people, but I guess I just didn't have whatever childhood experience makes that sort of thing freak you out. Spent most of my time wondering why the aliens wouldn't put the woman into service as a sex worker, she'd have single men who wouldn't be missed literally applying to her instead of going out and having to hunt.

loving loved Barbarian. That one was great. 10/10 no notes.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

CapnAndy posted:

Did not like Under the Skin. Honestly, I kept having Skinamarink flashbacks. Movies where nobody has a name, nobody has a goal there's no stakes, and it's mostly static shots with droning background noise clearly scare some people, but I guess I just didn't have whatever childhood experience makes that sort of thing freak you out. Spent most of my time wondering why the aliens wouldn't put the woman into service as a sex worker, she'd have single men who wouldn't be missed literally applying to her instead of going out and having to hunt.

I'm confused, she literally was having men approach her all throughout the movie - that's what it was about. It's saying something about gender expectations/gender roles, sex, humanity, butchering, the world and the universe, etc - it's kinda interesting if you just pay attention enough to notice what is happening (and in the case of this film, it's a lot).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Noroi was dope, holy poo poo. Loved the increasing sense of dread as absolutely everybody connected with the story disappeared, died, or disappeared then died

Occult was almost as good save for that goofy effects shot at the end.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

classic misconception, its actually Nosferatu's Monster

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

watched Sleepaway Camp for the first time over the weekend with some family. Unfortunately, i already knew about the twist but I kept my mouth shut so others could experience it. Very silly movie that I enjoyed a lot even tho it did that old movie thing where it ends abruptly with no resolution. But drat, that final shot gave me fuckin chills

Judy kept cracking me up, just no chill whatsoever

the woman that played the adoptive mom was so incredibly terrible at acting that her performance wrapped back around to being mesmerizing, i can see why the last thread gave out so many avs of her

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

"Learn how to act"?

Goodness no, that wouldn't do at all.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

watched Sleepaway Camp for the first time over the weekend with some family. Unfortunately, i already knew about the twist but I kept my mouth shut so others could experience it. Very silly movie that I enjoyed a lot even tho it did that old movie thing where it ends abruptly with no resolution. But drat, that final shot gave me fuckin chills

Judy kept cracking me up, just no chill whatsoever

the woman that played the adoptive mom was so incredibly terrible at acting that her performance wrapped back around to being mesmerizing, i can see why the last thread gave out so many avs of her

The anniversary showing at the indie theater by me was very packed. The turnout was so big, they weren't even using the ticket dispenser, but just tearing off tickets from the roll.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Phy posted:

Noroi was dope, holy poo poo. Loved the increasing sense of dread as absolutely everybody connected with the story disappeared, died, or disappeared then died

Occult was almost as good save for that goofy effects shot at the end.

but that's the best part. it's better than the equivalent scene in Noroi, even

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I love a good "psychic scans something and has a complete freak out" and Noroi has like 5 of those scenes, it's so good.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

but that's the best part.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I really enjoyed Occult and Noroi , but didn't particularly care for Cult and Record of a Sweet Murder. Just didn't like those last two that much at all. The ending of Record of a Sweet Murder is really good but it doesn't make up for having to sit through the graphic sexual assault scenes.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Cult is better than Noroi and tired with Occult B)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Flying Zamboni posted:

Gabriel is an unlockable character but he's tricky because all his controls are reversed.

Hollismason posted:

Is the very top left the clown doll from Poltergeist?
e:
Twitterpost confirms it is, slightly proud of myself for getting that :peanut: