Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I kinda suspect you'll only be able to install farms on the 'fertile land' resource. But gently caress it, that's what the map editor is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Buglord

Grand Fromage posted:

Actual farms. Excellent. I wonder if you can just zone a shitload of them like in SC4 to have huge rural areas or the demand won't let you.
:allears: they answered my prayers

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The dev diary also really sounds like wealth and density are no longer connected. It's talking about how low density housing has higher cost of living than apartment buildings. Need to know more about how rent works to say for sure here.

Sucks that you start off a highway again. I wonder if non-highway roads can do outside connections so you could make a custom map with just a little country road to satisfy that requirement without looking stupid.

E: Hope zone suitability makes sense. I don't like the idea of the city dictating where you can build things. If it's just a bonus to growth rate or something that would be fine.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 10, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you have a map entirely full of farms it'll well outpace what the city can consume and use but it sounds like in that circumstance all the extra will just export to CimNation, which won't make you nearly as much per unit as consuming locally but will still get you some.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I shouldn't post before I finish reading.

"All zoned buildings have Building Levels from 1 to 5. Building Levels represent the progression of the building from a lower to a higher quality building and are a reflection of how wealthy its inhabitants are. As the building increases in level, its upkeep increases which means that its rent also increases. In residential buildings electricity and water consumption also decreases per household and as the buildings change at levels 3 and 5, more apartments are available in medium and high density residential buildings."

God drat it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

bizarre that they've gone through the trouble of simulating land value but you can't tax it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Assuming the uptick in apartment count at 3 and 5 isn't that much, that does sound like wealth and density aren't that linked. Individual basic buildings have five grades of how 'nice' they can be and will float up to the level of niceness that their occupants can support.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Assuming the uptick in apartment count at 3 and 5 isn't that much, that does sound like wealth and density aren't that linked. Individual basic buildings have five grades of how 'nice' they can be and will float up to the level of niceness that their occupants can support.

I guess. If it's just a bonus thing and not like there are no level 1 skyscrapers then it should be okay.

I honestly don't remember how bad it is in the base game, I have been running only workshop assets + plops + building level control mod for years at this point.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

MikeJF posted:

Each zone type has a Zone Suitability infoview which activates when you start zoning. Depending on the zone type, it shows pertinent information about which areas are suitable for the selected zone type. As an example, zoning commercial areas shows information about where the potential customers are located in the city while zoning a residential area highlights ground pollution so that it is easy to avoid when zoning. It also shows areas that might be otherwise unsuitable, perhaps due to high Land Value making rent for low density housing very high.
That makes it sound like high land value might be bad for low density housing, but isn't that backwards? I want to take the nice land and make it into suburbs.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Have one-way roads always been, that only one side of it is zoneable?

I haven't been playing for a while and upgraded my industrial area to one way roads and lost half my industry :sigh:

Edit: My bad. There's a new toggle button to change road zoning from both sides, to one-side to no sides. Oops.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 10, 2023

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I hope that they leave room for Asian and developing world styled cities as a future DLC. It's understandable that they have a Europe/USA focus, but what if I want to build a Lagos, a Mumbai, a Tokyo, a Shanghai? Enable the city of our dreams!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

That makes it sound like high land value might be bad for low density housing, but isn't that backwards? I want to take the nice land and make it into suburbs.

Land value is primarily a function of amenities and competition, not an intrinsic property of the soil. High density has high amenities and a lot of competition for the space. If you can just sprawl out further then there is no reason to compete. Suburbs are low value because they provide few amenities and are sprawling hellfields of identikit houses, they are built because land is cheap, so you buy lots of it and put the bare minimum on each parcel and then sell it to someone.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Well, it depends on your goals. Because low density is more impacted by land value than high density, you'll need a lot of rich-rear end people.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I just keep thinking "how nice can it be if you still have to live in an apartment", but I guess that's my suburban upbring speaking.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Issaries posted:

Have one-way roads always been, that only one side of it is zoneable?

I haven't been playing for a while and upgraded my industrial area to one way roads and lost half my industry :sigh:

No. There's a zoning on/off toggle that was added recently, you might've pressed that.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Grand Fromage posted:

No. There's a zoning on/off toggle that was added recently, you might've pressed that.

Doh.
But that is awesome.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

E: Hope zone suitability makes sense. I don't like the idea of the city dictating where you can build things. If it's just a bonus to growth rate or something that would be fine.

It doesn't sound like Zone Suitability is a mechanic or bonus or anything, it sounds like it's just an advisor window that lets you know pertinent info that might affect a zone of that type at that spot, like how easy it'll be to get to jobs from there and stuff or how much you've sprayed this area with pollution.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

I just keep thinking "how nice can it be if you still have to live in an apartment", but I guess that's my suburban upbring speaking.

Think of value as being less "how nice is it" but "how much can we charge for it" and there are a lot of people who pay absurd amounts of money to live in shitholes because, for example, it's the only place they can get a job.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This is the actual explanation of what land value in the dev diary:

quote:

Citizens tend to value large homes, the proximity of shops, services they require, schools and workplaces as well as pollution-free locations. If the citizens find homes that suit their needs, they move in. And if they are happy living there and are wealthy enough, they are able to pay a higher rent which translates into an increase in the area’s Land Value. It is important to note that simply plopping all city services into a neighborhood doesn’t increase the Land Value in the area automatically. Only when the residents and companies have their needs met, be it with services or shopping options for citizens, customers, and resellers for companies, will Land Value be affected as the residents and companies feel that the area is valuable to their existence.

It's just how high rent is in any given area.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hope there's an ordinance to drive down rent by banning AirBnB.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Also a bit weird that nobody owns their homes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, you guys abstract some things. I don't think any large scale city builder's ever handled purchasing vs rental.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

MikeJF posted:

Eh, you guys abstract some things. I don't think any large scale city builder's ever handled purchasing vs rental.

Victoria 3 has this, it always ends up with :guillotine:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My god all you had to do was tie maximum density to to the zoning, and the actual built density to demand and land value, like real life. Having a special zone for "low rent high density" is such a bonkers thing. Simcity 4 handled this fine, 3 zone densities and then the wealth level of the building was mostly just based on the demand for housing for that wealth level. A lot of rich people needing housing and you have some high density zones land? They'll build a luxury condo. Have a ton of demand for low wealth housing? They'll build a huge dense housing block. Easy. I don't know why CS keeps wanting to over-complicate things while also producing worse gameplay, but that's CO for you.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

My god all you had to do was tie maximum density to to the zoning, and the actual built density to demand and land value, like real life. Having a special zone for "low rent high density" is such a bonkers thing. Simcity 4 handled this fine, 3 zone densities and then the wealth level of the building was mostly just based on the demand for housing for that wealth level. A lot of rich people needing housing and you have some high density zones land? They'll build a luxury condo. Have a ton of demand for low wealth housing? They'll build a huge dense housing block. Easy. I don't know why CS keeps wanting to over-complicate things while also producing worse gameplay, but that's CO for you.

yea, specifically zoning for Robert Mosesesque poor people towers instead of it being a balance of density and property value seems problematic. CO is so weird in how it filates poor US urban planning decisions.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
I read it more as they did what you're asking with separating value from density by having the 5 levels of a building, plus the variety of zoning options. So maybe a low income high-rise is level 1 but it upgrades to luxury condos at level 5, but maybe I'm giving too much credit.

The city industry specialization thing seems cool as it could bring in some interesting gameplay elements if there's a global economy that impacts certain industries. So while, as they described, there are advantages to having one industry together, maybe that comes at a risk of being hurt if that industry's global demand goes down, so there's incentive to diversify.

Otherwise the complex economy seems really cool but I have some doubts they can pull it off to be well balanced and engaging. But I suppose as long as the tolls are there game updates and mods can do the rest.

Fuzzie Dunlop fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 11, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

GlassEye-Boy posted:

yea, specifically zoning for Robert Mosesesque poor people towers instead of it being a balance of density and property value seems problematic. CO is so weird in how it filates poor US urban planning decisions.
I suppose if you squint, you can call it, like, student housing? Put a bunch of low rent high density around a college and pretend it's dorms, I dunno.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like purposefully giving you the option to build lovely cities is sort of a necessary part of making a city game? Like if you could only build good cities that would be weird cos most cities aren't.

Like you shouldn't be able to build roads for cars if we're not allowing bad decisions.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I don't even know why they're called low rent buildings. They're higher density than high density, but everything about rent prices/land value/upkeep applies to them like any other residential building,. It's not like they're even going to necessarily be affordable if they're in an area with super high land value since the cost of rent increases to match the income of residents.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

I don't even know why they're called low rent buildings. They're higher density than high density, but everything about rent prices/land value/upkeep applies to them like any other residential building,. It's not like they're even going to necessarily be affordable if they're in an area with super high land value since the cost of rent increases to match the income of residents.
It seems like everyone living on a parcel pays 1/x of its value in rent, where x is the maximum amount of residents of that parcel. So because they're super high density, even on nice land, the rent will still be pretty low, because it's getting split so many ways. Seems like basically it's housing for students and young adults, not a "build slum here" zoning.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CapnAndy posted:

It seems like everyone living on a parcel pays 1/x of its value in rent, where x is the maximum amount of residents of that parcel. So because they're super high density, even on nice land, the rent will still be pretty low, because it's getting split so many ways. Seems like basically it's housing for students and young adults, not a "build slum here" zoning.

The dev diary makes it sound like rent is determined by a combination of land value, upkeep costs, demand and households. Large buildings with multiple households presumably have significantly higher upkeep costs than single family homes. If the simulation is actually any decent then the right circumstances should make low rent housing still pretty expensive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And those denser buildings will still upgrade in level and we'll still see a version of them that's all expensive and the building changes to look made with more expensive materials and nicer props and all. It's a rent control zone.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

turn off the TV posted:

The way I read it the different zone types have different configurations of living space, household capacity and inherent upkeep. Rent seems to be upkeep divided by max household capacity, modified by land value. The "low rent building" zone produces buildings with high household capacity and low upkeep, so the rent is low, but the living space is small, so its comfort is low and may even be hard capped in household size (2 or 3 people per household, perhaps?). Mixed use has the commercial part contribute to the upkeep, so rent is cheaper than an equivalent building. High density probably has high capacity and high upkeep for larger living space.

I imagine upkeep costs scale slower than household capacity, so high density rent is still cheaper given equivalent land value.

All in all even if the default balance is not quite there it seems to offer a lot of levers for mods to use so we can expect to see some interesting stuff.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 11, 2023

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

One of the really cool things in SimCity 4 was that buildings that were originally built for high-wealth could occasionally downgrade to lower wealth, so having the same building model but significantly more run-down looking, and holding a much larger number of tenants.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah so it might be better to call them "High density, standard size apartment" and "High density, small size apartment" zones.

I'd say call it 'ultra high density' but that might confuse people into thinking you need to use that zone to get the biggest buildings.

nielsm posted:

One of the really cool things in SimCity 4 was that buildings that were originally built for high-wealth could occasionally downgrade to lower wealth, so having the same building model but significantly more run-down looking, and holding a much larger number of tenants.

From what they say here they do have that kind of modification: Visually, buildings change at every other level, representing the increase in the quality of the building. Lower-level buildings have an intended “cheaper” look while higher-level buildings adopt a more modern and detailed look.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 11, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

All you goons posting about density as if the most important news isn't mixed-use zoning like that's been something people have wanted since at least SC3K to my own recollection and I am sure much earlier.

The farms look kino as hell, too.

If they pull this off, these fuckers might finally dethrone SimCity 4; CS1 came way closer than I expected and this looks like it's building on that in every conceivable way.

Grand Fromage posted:

They've mentioned in the past they want it to be more open for modding than the first game. I'm not sure how you'd make it easier to deal with honestly, the workshop is so simple. But 20 years of SimCity 4 mods might affect my view on that.

The original game had an unlock all mod as a base function so I assume this one will too. I'm torn, I do kind of like the progression though it's also stupid. Why are trains and trams locked? They predate cars.

Yeah it's kinda funny that they're going "Oh we want to make modding easier and more powerful" like the og doesn't have one of the biggest modding scenes in all creation. Great goal to have, but funny.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah it's kinda funny that they're going "Oh we want to make modding easier and more powerful" like the og doesn't have one of the biggest modding scenes in all creation. Great goal to have, but funny.

If they hook in a proper API then most mods won't break when they update.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MikeJF posted:

If they hook in a proper API then most mods won't break when they update.

Yeah this is the change I'm hoping for too. Mods that don't interact with features that were updated shouldn't just break as a matter of course

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Game is looking good. Mixed use zoning is great. More realistically sized buildings is great.

Wealth seems... kinda separated from density? It looks convoluted, I don't really understand it. It sounds like high density, low income buildings are possible?

Some features like traffic accidents sound like they'll be a disaster at launch but maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It is a bit weird that as apartment buildings level up - which appears to be a proxy for building quality - they cram more people in.