Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

euphronius posted:

what do militaries think about tablets?? is the tablet interface not robust enough?

A few years ago a guy in my IT department said there was a desire to move everything over to a tablet-based infrastructure to replace everyone's desktop and laptop computers. It never happened but the idea is horrifying to me- that is some whiz kid moron's idea of The Future and it only died when that fantasy came up against the reality of what people actually need in order to do their jobs. I'm grateful that realization hit before and not after the implementation like so many other misguided attempts to "modernize".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol that France makes the patch design wide
NATO-OTAN

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Futanari Damacy posted:

A few years ago a guy in my IT department said there was a desire to move everything over to a tablet-based infrastructure to replace everyone's desktop and laptop computers. It never happened but the idea is horrifying to me- that is some whiz kid moron's idea of The Future and it only died when that fantasy came up against the reality of what people actually need in order to do their jobs. I'm grateful that realization hit before and not after the implementation like so many other misguided attempts to "modernize".

most it guys hate tablets and are "simpler is better" type of people ime

it is unfortunate when you get a guy who is the opposite and fucks everything up. in my book, if i dont have to think about it at all then theyre doing an outstanding job

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Our vet plates are pretty easy to spot in Quebec.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mawarannahr posted:

lol that France makes the patch design wide
NATO-OTAN

France et Canada.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

supersnowman posted:

Our vet plates are pretty easy to spot in Quebec.

I like the Green variant, for veterans who drive Priuses.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

most it guys hate tablets and are "simpler is better" type of people ime

it is unfortunate when you get a guy who is the opposite and fucks everything up. in my book, if i dont have to think about it at all then theyre doing an outstanding job

The problem IT people have with tablet is how lovely they are to work with when they have issue. For a end user, it does not matter all that much because they rarely do the actual fixing. Every keyboard application sucks poo poo bit if I have to fix poo poo, I probably need a functioning keyboard.

Any actual hardware fix is also automatically a gigantic pain in the rear end.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I like the Green variant, for veterans who drive Priuses.

Too bad there does not seem to be any active service to help us spot which chargers are 16% APR straight out of boot.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Anyone who puts stickers on a laptop is a poser wearing a uniform from a surplus store and medals from the wrong country entirely. It's a halloween costume.

A true veteran computer toucher who has actually got their hands dirty and bloodied themselves on a sharp piece of cheaply pressed steel edging owns a full ATX tower case they have re-used for many builds. Every sticker from every component they have ever purchased is adhered to the casing. That's why it has both an Intel Inside and AMD sticker. Corsair and G.Skill RAM. Nvidia and ATI. A glow in the dark RAZER sticker even though none of the peripherals are anymore. That sort of thing.

There have been three distinct machines over the years inside my case and it has never once occurred to me to put a sticker on anything. My last motherboard came with a whole sticker sheet that I kept out of sheer bemusement. Do people actually use those? Why? Is it like plastering the insides with LEDs? I *almost* got LED fans once but ultimately decided it'd be irritating at night because I never turn the PC off.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

putting stickers on your macbook is required for getting a job some places, or you will fail the vibe check

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
any place that uses the term "vibe check" was never gonna hire me

Ripperljohn
May 13, 2014

Stickers on workmachines suck massive balls and if you plaster your worklaptop with them you deserve to stub your little toe on every corner

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Some people just didn't grow out of the child like glee of a teenager plastering everything they own with images of pop culture that they love to consume.

Unlike me, the grown up that was crushed by realities of life and is too jaded to care about these things anymore.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I had a very cool conversation with someone today in which I discovered that 1. Ukraine will use cluster munitions responsibly, and they gave written statements about it. 2. They never used cluster munitions on Donetsk City because Ukraine never had cluster munitions. 3. All independent organizations have said that they have never observed Ukraine using cluster munitions. 4. 2014 was a different time and different government, and Maidan happened because of the pro-Russian government using cluster munitions on Donetsk City caused Ukrainians to rise up against it.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

speng31b posted:

putting stickers on your macbook is required for getting a job some places, or you will fail the vibe check

I don't have the impulse for decorating things I guess. Even when I routinely carried a laptop around the only thing I ever put on it was a label with my name and number

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I had a very cool conversation with someone today in which I discovered that 1. Ukraine will use cluster munitions responsibly, and they gave written statements about it. 2. They never used cluster munitions on Donetsk City because Ukraine never had cluster munitions. 3. All independent organizations have said that they have never observed Ukraine using cluster munitions. 4. 2014 was a different time and different government, and Maidan happened because of the pro-Russian government using cluster munitions on Donetsk City caused Ukrainians to rise up against it.

Oh yeah, people are just completely disconnected from reality on the events of the last decade in Ukraine. All they know is good guys and bad guys

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I now define myself by much more demure objects such as a importer premium japanese day planner with a leather cover with the only adornments being creases and scuffs it got from use.

And a feather pen.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

rockets painted yellow do more damage!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uNXdPGlx14

For gently caress's sake lol

They're going to have to build a base, because that's a loving MBG, not a BG.

e: The PM promised a Brigade... but 4CMBG is still not on the rolls... so how is this all going to work? I probably have a long afternoon and week ahead lmao kill me.

What is sending more guys to Latvia gonna do? Just have an even bigger number of guys stuck in Courland Pocket 2?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nix Panicus posted:

I don't have the impulse for decorating things I guess.

same. lol if you have desktop wallpaper that's not blank, too.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

if you haven’t been issued so many nigh-identical latitudes and elitebooks that you cannot imagine feeling any sense of proprietorship over one you’re a poser

This.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

same. lol if you have desktop wallpaper that's not blank, too.

I had to reinstall windows a few months ago and never changed back from default. I used to have desktop wallpaper though!

My desk is covered in little gaming minis though!

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Nonsense posted:

rockets painted yellow do more damage!

Pretty sure the meta is to paint them red for extra speed which counter interceptions.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

What is sending more guys to Latvia gonna do? Just have an even bigger number of guys stuck in Courland Pocket 2?

Well, it represents 1/3 of the Army at a time when the CAF is 15k pers short and the average length of service is down to barely 3 years.

The result is that the people who remain are getting severely hosed up from the ops tempo. A guy who works here got a 1 week deployment notice by email (lol) and has to travel on his blue passport because a green one won't be ready in time (lol). He's filling in for someone, but it's kind of iffy what his job will be because there is no finalized ORBAT (lol). Another friend of mine is a pilot who was dragooned into a position in Battlegroup (lol).

Compare the Baltic to facilities we had in Lahr, where remember, we had a formation of the same size. People could bring their families, there were Canadian schools, chapels, recreation facilities, nice new barracks and private quarters. It wasn't a hardship posting, it cost a fortune.

The Baltic is supposed to be on the cheap, and there are no permanent facilities. Camp Adazi is a loving joke.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
look once you tell the canadians about the latvian commemorative waffen ss marches you'll have so many goddamn volunteers that you won't know what to do with them all

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Well, it represents 1/3 of the Army at a time when the CAF is 15k pers short and the average length of service is down to barely 3 years.

The result is that the people who remain are getting severely hosed up from the ops tempo. A guy who works here got a 1 week deployment notice by email (lol) and has to travel on his blue passport because a green one won't be ready in time (lol). He's filling in for someone, but it's kind of iffy what his job will be because there is no finalized ORBAT (lol). Another friend of mine is a pilot who was dragooned into a position in Battlegroup (lol).

Compare the Baltic to facilities we had in Lahr, where remember, we had a formation of the same size. People could bring their families, there were Canadian schools, chapels, recreation facilities, nice new barracks and private quarters. It wasn't a hardship posting, it cost a fortune.

The Baltic is supposed to be on the cheap, and there are no permanent facilities. Camp Adazi is a loving joke.

So neoliberal rot means you can't even get decent living quarters for the Doomsday tripline sacrifices

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

So neoliberal rot means you can't even get decent living quarters for the Doomsday tripline sacrifices

Yes. I think it will save my life through, as 4 CMBG had a huge amount of civilian DND employees at Lahr and massive planning staffs, schools for staff instruction, higher education on base, researchers, analysts, etc. and I'm thinking they'll just have an overworked Captain present PowerPoints on Defeating the Russian Battalion Tactical Group.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

i don't get the messaging from doing this, aren't they just signalling that they believe Russia is a major threat and not a spent force? Is Russia a useless, incompetent and defeated force or not?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

i don't get the messaging from doing this, aren't they just signalling that they believe Russia is a major threat and not a spent force? Is Russia a useless, incompetent and defeated force or not?

:umberto:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Yes. I think it will save my life through, as 4 CMBG had a huge amount of civilian DND employees at Lahr and massive planning staffs, schools for staff instruction, higher education on base, researchers, analysts, etc. and I'm thinking they'll just have an overworked Captain present PowerPoints on Defeating the Russian Battalion Tactical Group.

So they're not reevaluating now that it's clear the Russians have gone back to a divisional structure.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Lostconfused posted:

Some people just didn't grow out of the child like glee of a teenager plastering everything they own with images of pop culture that they love to consume.

Unlike me, the grown up that was crushed by realities of life and is too jaded to care about these things anymore.

most of the good nerd stickers come as gifts from other nerds at nerd gatherings. it’s like tattoos for your computer. some people have no taste and compulsively slap every lovely sticker they find, and others have religious dogmas or workplace trauma that prohibits art on computers :shrug:

:nsallears:
challenge coins started becoming a thing i suppose from all the literal veteran "hacker" computer touchers making ctf puzzles

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i used to cover everything in airshow stickers until the GWOT happened and airshows stopped and never really came back the same, at least not in the UK.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Russia is out of shells, tanks, planes, missiles, and the average soldier is a barely trained conscript quaking in his trench who will break and flee at the first sign of trouble (and is also closely watching for any palace intrigues and/or barely noticeable smirks on Ukrainian intelligence officers!) but also an existential threat who will conquer all of Europe if we don't give Ukraine cluster munitions (which definitely isn't a sign the US is scraping the bottom of the barrel) and rally troops from several nations.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

supersnowman posted:

The rugged segment sucks all around tbh. It require too many compromise to achieve what is asked. They are all stuck in an escalating battle of making it tougher and additional carelessness by the end user. We got Toughbook because the regular laptop would break when they fell out of their attach points on forklifts and it ended with IT call for Toughbook broken because after falling to the ground, a forklift ran over it. Now we are going with tablets with stronger cases and fixation points but we "know" some will oddly detach from the stand and break on the ground.

Yup

I hated the idea of putting tablets into these kind of environments when they first started showing up but it's really a no brainer now, they're gonna get destroyed at exactly the same rate but you can buy the tablet four times for the price of one toughbook

Futanari Damacy posted:

A few years ago a guy in my IT department said there was a desire to move everything over to a tablet-based infrastructure to replace everyone's desktop and laptop computers. It never hapbpened but the idea is horrifying to me- that is some whiz kid moron's idea of The Future and it only died when that fantasy came up against the reality of what people actually need in order to do their jobs. I'm grateful that realization hit before and not after the implementation like so many other misguided attempts to "modernize".

In a lot of cases this is coming from end users in the c suite who only use tablets and have only used tablets since 2010. Executive brain poisoning is a real problem infrastructure is constantly having to head off at the pass

If you leave it to the whiz kids they move everybody onto wyse terminals and call it a day

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 19:29 on Jul 10, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

So they're not reevaluating now that it's clear the Russians have gone back to a divisional structure.

Both the Canadian and Australian militaries are in the middle of plans to convert to almost entirely light infantry (which is cheap, so politicians like it). This will be backed up by F-35s using PGMs and M777 and HIMARS firing PGMs (which is expensive, so the MIC likes it)That's only viable against BTGs because otherwise it's going to go... well, almost exactly like the Ukrainian counteroffensive.

If the Russians are back on divisions, then NATO would logically need to go back as well, moving to 1989 force structures and not the lightweight digital expeditionary warfighter poo poo. That has so many political costs it's not really tenable and imo what will happen is the work people like me put out will be turned into a summary titled Defeating the Russian Guards Motor Rifle Division, which calls for... light infantry with more technology, stealth aircraft and PGMs.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Im curious to see what gets blamed for the lack of breakthroughs. Do they blame the Ukrainians, the kinds of gear they were given, the quantity of gear they were given, or Russian defenses? I suspect they'll settle on quantity.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

KomradeX posted:

Well, for :denmark: troops it meant subjecting the local population to violence and at least 11 counts of sexual assault. They also got busted with cocaine and left a pistol in a public restroom, and backed a Piranha AFV over some dude's car. NATO membership really pays dividends.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

Im curious to see what gets blamed for the lack of breakthroughs. Do they blame the Ukrainians, the kinds of gear they were given, the quantity of gear they were given, or Russian defenses? I suspect they'll settle on quantity.

I hope they don't blame me.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I'm not even sure how someone could come to believe that, especially the bolded part. A complete misunderstanding of Ukraine's political situation at every level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Regarde Aduck posted:

Russia is a pathetically incompetent, corrupt nation of drunken orcs who can't even aim an artillery piece without blowing up one of their own.

Also Russia is an existential threat that will completely overrun all of Europe unless they are stopped here and now in Ukraine.