Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its literally a case of "unless you HAVE to play Fortnite or Destiny, just leave SteamOS on there"

Which I get, because I have 14 year old brain and am addicted to fortnite, but thankfully I cant play on a controller, so my Steam Deck remains un-windows-ed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ALSO, I believe the free tier of Geforce Now lets you play fortnite completely free and it works great on the deck

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Weedle posted:

the games i want to play that are listed as "unsupported on deck" include: modern warfare ii, cruelty squad, destiny 2, sleeping dogs, dirt rally 2.0, the witcher 2, vampire bloodlines, and burnout paradise. also a bunch of posts immediately before mine are people talking about how updates frequently break compatibility for supported games, so windows seems like a better move for me overall. it is easy to install
Cruelty Squad, Sleeping Dogs, Dirt Rally 2, Witcher 2, Vampire Bloodlines, and Burnout Paradise absolutely work. Valve is conservative when it comes to verifying compatibility, so it's always worth checking ProtonDB to see whether something can be played on the Deck, and to find the best settings.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Weedle posted:

the games i want to play that are listed as "unsupported on deck" include: modern warfare ii, cruelty squad, destiny 2, sleeping dogs, dirt rally 2.0, the witcher 2, vampire bloodlines, and burnout paradise. also a bunch of posts immediately before mine are people talking about how updates frequently break compatibility for supported games, so windows seems like a better move for me overall. it is easy to install

These "updates frequently breaking games" are pretty much for EA Games and it's lovely EA Launcher

The solution is really easy,it's not to play games by EA.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Cruelty Squad, Sleeping Dogs, Dirt Rally 2, Witcher 2, Vampire Bloodlines, and Burnout Paradise absolutely work. Valve is conservative when it comes to verifying compatibility, so it's always worth checking ProtonDB to see whether something can be played on the Deck, and to find the best settings.

word. i didn't know about protondb, i was just going off that steam page that's like "here's your games that work on it." seems like mwii is still a no-go though and that's the main thing i bought it for so windows it is

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I dropped MW2 since there’s just too many other games to play but it runs fantastic on the Deck.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Weedle posted:

Late to the party but Destiny 2 is the only one of these that definitely doesn't work. I've played a bunch of sleeping dogs on it and it works great.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bouillon Rube posted:

Is anyone here running Windows 11 on their deck? Is it more or less a seamless experience once you get all of the drivers squared away?
Just buy a RoG Ally from someone with buyer's remorse.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I wish I could install steamOS on my desktop

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown

:frogon:

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

That is the very old steam OS. The one on the steam deck is supposed to come to PC soon, but its not released yet. I would not bother with this old one personally.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I think you can, but I've never actually tried it. I've been vaguely thinking about trying to set up my old desktop with SteamOS and just keeping it hooked up to a TV.

https://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Go ahead it's just extra work is all

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Kwolok posted:

That is the very old steam OS. The one on the steam deck is supposed to come to PC soon, but its not released yet. I would not bother with this old one personally.

Ahh... I guess I'll keep waiting then

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Kwolok posted:

Yeah,I know. Thanks for reminding me tho

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

These "updates frequently breaking games" are pretty much for EA Games and it's lovely EA Launcher

The solution is really easy,it's not to play games by EA.

Yeah except the issues that I’m having aren’t with EA games

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Bouillon Rube posted:

Yeah except the issues that I’m having aren’t with EA games

Fair enough.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Its literally a case of "unless you HAVE to play Fortnite or Destiny, just leave SteamOS on there"

Which I get, because I have 14 year old brain and am addicted to fortnite, but thankfully I cant play on a controller, so my Steam Deck remains un-windows-ed

This is mainly why I bought an ally. Windows is a huge pain in the dick hole but I play the dumbass games that the deck doesn’t support.

I still prefer the deck for everything else though

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Weedle posted:

People talk about it when it happens because what else are people going to talk about, but I've owned a SD since like five or six months after launch and updates definitely do not "frequently" break compatibility in the sense that things very rarely stop working out of the blue. Anything that isn't using a third-party launcher or a workaround is going to generally be very reliable.

Anyway, Windows is fine on the SD if you really are only going to be playing games that are otherwise problematic on SteamOS, but it's a strictly inferior experience otherwise.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Windows on an SD card blows my whole rear end in a top hat though. It “works” but it’s frustrating.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Sorry this is probably the most basic question ever but... which one is recommended to buy? My kid is 1 and I'm finally out of the "haha you can NEVER play a game" land & I'm about to start a work from home job. Seems like a great time to buy.

Is the top end one a waste? With the sale it's very enticing over the middle tier... but I'm skeptical of that just being psychology.

Is one trash-tier or not a good value or anything like that?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I bought and returned an ally in favor of a steam deck because windows is a pain in the dick but if win11 + game pass is what you're really after then the ally is a clearly better choice

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

bus hustler posted:

Sorry this is probably the most basic question ever but... which one is recommended to buy? My kid is 1 and I'm finally out of the "haha you can NEVER play a game" land & I'm about to start a work from home job. Seems like a great time to buy.

Is the top end one a waste? With the sale it's very enticing over the middle tier... but I'm skeptical of that just being psychology.

All 3 perform the exact same. They're all very good value but the 256GB one is the least value-- this does not mean it isn't a very high value purchase.

The main differences are Storage and Screen (and you get a different zipper on the carrying case on the 512gb version).

Storage
- The storage speeds are not at all different, don't believe Ondore's lies.
- Almost everyone uses an SD card to supplement their storage anyways.
- If you're comfortable following this guide, get the 64GB and replace the SSD. You can, like me, put a 2TB SSD into a 64GB Deck for less than the price of a 512GB. It took me 10 minutes to do, with no soldering or anything crazy. I used an SD card to reinstall the OS onto the new SSD-- it was totally painless.

Screen
- The screens on the 64GB and 256GB versions are the same. The 512GB gets an etched glass screen which makes it less reflective (note, it is still very reflective but the reflection is just diffused). This will largely be mitigated if you put a screen cover on it.
- If you will not be using a screen cover and this makes you thirst for the etched glass screen, go for the 512GB. (See comments too).

The only trap option is the 256GB SSD if you intend to upgrade the SSD.

jokes fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 10, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

bus hustler posted:

The only bad value one is the middle one.

The big one has a matte screen and the bigger storage.

The small one has no matte screen so it’s glare central and tiny storage.

If you don’t care about the shittier screen just buy the little one and put a big microsd or replacement SSD in it.

If you want the good screen and to not gently caress around putting more storage in it right away just buy the bigger one.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

bus hustler posted:

Hell if you can afford it go for the top tier, it's still good value. But if you're in any shape or form concerned about money go for the mid one or the 64GB one. They all work the same and the 64GB one is amazing value with the obvious caveat of tiny storage.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kwolok posted:

I've not kept my ear to the ground but the solution i know of is HoloIso which gets you the os with a few crevats (Complete Nvidia gpu incompatability being one of them) .

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

jokes posted:

The only trap option is the 256GB SSD if you intend to upgrade the SSD.
Personally I'd only get the 64 GB model if I was planning to replace the eMMC immediately.

The 256 GB model is only a "bad" option in that you're paying an inflated price for storage that's effectively wasted if/when you replace the SSD. But if you prefer not to replace the SSD right away then there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Got Dave the Diver. It owns and runs well on the Deck, which I guess was not the case earlier in its release.

It does regularly involve rapidly moving the left joystick L <-> R, though, which can be difficult depending on how I'm positioned and also makes me fear that I'm sapping life from the joystick prematurely.

Is there a good way to map a paddle button to do a sort of L <-> R turbo thing? I've found some community bindings that claim to do this (generally L->R turbo at 75-100), but they don't seem to work. :\

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Thanks all, glad I asked as my instinct was to go with the middle. Ill probably go for the top end one, I've been not letting myself buy one for a year and the money isn't a major obstacle - my last job wrote me a fat check for violating my rights and I'll probably come out a few thousand ahead even with the unemployed period :toot:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
i bought a top end one and just picked it up from FedEx an hour ago. I just connected to my wifi and the deck is updating. This thing feels really solid and high quality.

e: i think Fallout New Vegas will be my first game.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Yeah everyone remembers the time their first time with a Deck.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The first thing I did with my deck was put it next to my switch and laugh at the size of the thing

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Is everyone's Steam OS working on their deck? For some reason this morning, I can't install any games, couldn't play any of my installed games, and couldn't uninstall them either (without going into the storage options). Clicking the install button makes the clicking sound but nothing happens. Works on desktop (not on the deck, but on my PC desktop), so I'm not sure what's up. Figured maybe something related to accounts (maybe if I'm logged into my PC, but also my phone, and the Deck maybe something is glitched) or something on Steam's end.

Tried some other things, and I can view my profile, chat, better the store and even make purchases from game mode, I just can't install any games?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 10, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I got it shipped to my Mom's place and when I opened it she asked if I got another Nintendo. I said yes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

steamos is just a linux. install a KDE flavour of a linux, go into settings and set it to auto-login your user, then install steam and set it to start on login in big picture mode

i'm half joking but it really is that easy

felked
Jul 4, 2023

PageMaster posted:

Is everyone's Steam OS working on their deck? For some reason this morning, I can't install any games, couldn't play any of my installed games, and couldn't uninstall them either (without going into the storage options). Clicking the install button makes the clicking sound but nothing happens. Works on desktop (no on the deck, but on my PC desktop), so I'm not sure what's up. Figured maybe something related to accounts (maybe if I'm logged into my PC, but also my phone, and the Deck maybe something is glitched) or something on Steam's end.

Just to ask the easy question you aren’t using beta are you? First thing I’d check

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

felked posted:

Just to ask the easy question you aren’t using beta are you? First thing I’d check

Thanks I am not. I also found that it's the same for verified and unverified games, including games thay I do know work because I beat them on the deck already. I can still play moonlight and gamepass, oddly it's just steam games. Where it used to show space required next to the install button, it just shows available for Windows:

The only games that will install on the deck now are portal and the desk job one.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i think your proton settings got reset somehow. go into steam settings, compatibility tab, and "Enable Steam Play for all other titles"

proton experimental is usually safe to select here and on the off-chance a game doesn't work you can set a different version in per-game settings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Truga posted:

steamos is just a linux. install a KDE flavour of a linux, go into settings and set it to auto-login your user, then install steam and set it to start on login in big picture mode

i'm half joking but it really is that easy

But that'll turn me into a weird nerd.