Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Everything these people say is funny.

quote:

Bitcoin: Can I get called an idiot too please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
every last thing about bitcoin is stupid and an obvious red flag LOL

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

hay guys i tried to send my monthly mortgage payment to the bank but instead i sent it to some guys in jakarta, whoops oh well learning lesson lol

I have to be really careful when opening my billing statement from my mortgage lender because 10 identical pop-ups will appear and if you click the wrong one a scammer gets all your money.

All it takes is a single click and the cancel button is right next to the send money button so even if you do identify all the scam windows make sure you don't fat finger the mouse even once!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
No, the cancel button is also the send money button. You have to close the pop up.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Also enter in the 30 digit alphanumeric address perfectly or it will go to someone else/the void.
Or use the hand QR code, just make sure that someone didn't stick a different QR code on top of it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

zedprime posted:

No, the cancel button is also the send money button. You have to close the pop up.

Actually when you close the popup the send money button is executed via a JavaScript listener. The only thing you can do when that happens is throw away the computer forever.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

This is just the "which one of these fifteen buttons marked DOWNLOAD NOW is the actual download" thing, but instead of guessing wrong and getting a Bitcoin miner installed, guessing wrong lets them just steal all your money directly.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
A Wheel of Fortune wheel with all pieces except one marked Bankrupt, and the last one marked "Deposit successful"

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Serious_Cyclone posted:

quote:

Bitcoin: should have used No Homo

Bitcoin: the words "No Homo" in place of a balance

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 10, 2023

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

its so great that this they just act like this is the price you have to pay for something as amazing as crypto instead of being a reason to not loving deal with crypto

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Bitcoin: cryptobro problems are solved with No Homo

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Bitcoin: No homo, but can I get called an idiot too?

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Launching my new web3 blockchain project to immutably track which are the legitimate "send money" buttons and pop-ups.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

What if we used the blockchain to track crypto transaction requests?

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Zokari posted:

its so great that this they just act like this is the price you have to pay for something as amazing as crypto instead of being a reason to not loving deal with crypto

That's always the wildest part about these situations, people act like they have no alternative and have to put up with these kinds of scams. They're so deep in that they don't even consider non-crypto options.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

mass adoption when??

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I remember when I was a kid and I got my first savings account. Of course as always happens the first few deposits ended up being accidentally sent to scammers, but I eventually figured it out. This is how normal banking works, right guys?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Thesaurus posted:

mass adoption when??

Thursday

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I'm in absolute awe of the stupidity of these BBBY bagholders. It's mind boggling.

So they had two auctions for BuyBuy Baby: one for the IP and another for the IP + the operation as a going concern. The first went for $15 million to Dream on Me. There were no bids for the second one. The cope is that some billionaire (Cohen, Ichan?) doesn't need the IP when they buy the operation for billions. When it's pointed out that whoever this is could have had the operation + IP for, say $16 million, their brains break

Yesterday the lawyer recommended to the court that the sale to Dream on Me be approved. People quoting directly from court documents just get downvoted and replies with clown gifs. Rather than discuss this unpleasant news, they spent the better part of the day wondering if there really was a teddy bear in the window here:

These guys are dumber than crypto bros. At least crypto has this layer of obfuscation that one might expect would confuse a few people. This is just a company very plainly in bankruptcy and they're convinced they'll be millionaires.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Boxturret posted:

look at this fool

My wife worked at a company that printed checks, and other security-type documents.

This guy and one of his idiot partners were trying to start some kind of libertarian oasis in Hawaii, and they thought it'd be a great idea to create their own currency.

The company filled the order, thinking nothing of it, and was promptly raided by the FBI. Apparently, you can't just start printing your own currency on a lark. The printing company just thought it was novelty money.

The FBI was ready and waiting to seize their computers, and even had large flatbed trailers on call to haul off the actual printing presses if the company didn't cooperate with them.

They shrugged and handed over everything that they ever had on the guy and never heard about it again.

I looked around for info online, but never saw anything about it.

fake edit: found it

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/feds-seize-fake-coins-featuring-ron-paul/

mf was putting his face on coins too lmao

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Bankruptcy is very confusing to be honest. The idea that the stock holder gets nothing is very counter to the common surface level understanding of normal people about what it means to own a stock.

Now if public companies and bankruptcy could be a smart contract then everyone could just audit the code in the contract and we wouldn't have this problem.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

zedprime posted:

Bankruptcy is very confusing to be honest. The idea that the stock holder gets nothing is very counter to the common surface level understanding of normal people about what it means to own a stock.

Makes perfect sense to me. As owner of stock, you own a certain fraction of the company. The company has negative value (liabilities exceed assets), so your fraction of the company is worth negative dollars. We round that up to zero and say you have "nothing". Not sure where that seems unintuitive?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

Makes perfect sense to me. As owner of stock, you own a certain fraction of the company. The company has negative value (liabilities exceed assets), so your fraction of the company is worth negative dollars. We round that up to zero and say you have "nothing". Not sure where that seems unintuitive?

if it ended up being worth negative dollars, then whomst ever buys the company should be able to shake down the shareholders for the money they owe.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

zedprime posted:

Now if public companies and bankruptcy could be a smart contract then everyone could just audit the code in the contract and we wouldn't have this problem.

reminds me of the early bitcoin investor who decided he was going to audit the Bitcoin source and his first post was something like,

quote:

okay the first line of code is

quote:

#include "iostream.h"
What does that do?

e: for posterity, the actual quote:

Bitcoin Forums posted:

First file is bitcoin / src / main.cpp. Feel free to correct me and guide me during this process. I know pretty much poo poo about coding. Yes, this might be completely inane but I am going to take that risk.

Let's start with these #includes:

#include "alert.h"
#include "checkpoints.h"
#include "db.h"
#include "net.h"
#include "init.h"
#include "ui_interface.h"
#include <boost/algorithm/string/replace.hpp>
#include <boost/filesystem.hpp>
#include <boost/filesystem/fstream.hpp>

What do each of these files do and refer to? What is the function of #include?

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 11, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CrypticFox posted:

Posted yesterday on /r/cryptocurrency

not your keys not your homo

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Scratch Monkey posted:

I remember when I was a kid and I got my first savings account. Of course as always happens the first few deposits ended up being accidentally sent to scammers, but I eventually figured it out. This is how normal banking works, right guys?

you gotta really examine your atm receipts to makes sure the account number is correct, BoA will switch it on you at the last click if you're a mark rear end buster.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

HappyHippo posted:

Yesterday the lawyer recommended to the court that the sale to Dream on Me be approved. People quoting directly from court documents just get downvoted and replies with clown gifs. Rather than discuss this unpleasant news, they spent the better part of the day wondering if there really was a teddy bear in the window here:

What's the significance of the teddy?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Gangstalker-level arg hint about how their savior is still out there and will make them rich

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.eurogamer.net/sega-plans-to-bring-immensely-popular-franchise-to-blockchain-platform

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

Scratch Monkey posted:

What's the significance of the teddy?

Ryan Cohen recently filed for a trademark of "Teddy Inc." The BBBY cult believes that this means he will soon relaunch Bed Bath and Beyond under the name Teddy, which explains why he didn't need to buy the company's IP at the recent auction. This is linked to their belief that the auction for the non-IP assets of Bed Bath and Beyond was cancelled because Ryan Cohen already secretly came to an agreement to buy everything else (so that he could re-brand it as Teddy).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Lone Badger posted:

I find public understanding of stock ownership has not progressed past the days of the company owing you immediate dividends as your debtor; basically being a creditor with benefits. Not that the result of bankruptcy is any different, just that the attitude for a consumer investor easily becomes "I bought something so I should get something" even if the something you bought was someone else's crippling debt.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
DOJ indicted a DeFi hacker today:

DOJ posted:

In July 2022, AHMED carried out an attack on the Crypto Exchange by exploiting a vulnerability in one of the Crypto Exchange’s smart contracts and inserting fake pricing data to fraudulently cause that smart contract to generate approximately $9 million dollars’ worth of inflated fees that AHMED did not legitimately earn, which fees AHMED was able to withdraw from the Crypto Exchange in the form of cryptocurrency. This conduct defrauded the Crypto Exchange and its users, whose cryptocurrency AHMED had fraudulently obtained. Additional details regarding the attack, including AHMED’s use of cryptocurrency “flash loans” to further defraud the Crypto Exchange, are described in the Indictment publicly filed today.

After he stole the fees he never legitimately earned, AHMED had communications with the Crypto Exchange in which he decided to return all of the stolen funds except for $1.5 million if the Crypto Exchange agreed not to refer the attack to law enforcement.

At the time of the attack, AHMED was a senior security engineer for an international technology company whose resume reflected skills in, among other things, reverse engineering smart contracts and blockchain audits, which are some of the specialized skills AHMED used to execute the attack.

AHMED laundered the millions in fees that he stole from the Crypto Exchange to conceal their source and ownership, including through (i) conducting token-swap transactions, (ii) “bridging” fraud proceeds from the Solana blockchain over to the Ethereum blockchain, (iii) exchanging fraud proceeds into Monero, an anonymized and particularly difficult cryptocurrency to trace, and (iv) using overseas cryptocurrency exchanges.

After the attack, AHMED searched online for information about the attack, his own criminal liability, criminal defense attorneys with expertise in similar cases, law enforcement’s ability to successfully investigate the attack, and fleeing the United States to avoid criminal charges. For example, approximately two days after the attack, AHMED conducted an internet search for the term “defi hack,” read several news articles about the hack of the Crypto Exchange, and visited several pages on the Crypto Exchange’s website. As another example, AHMED conducted internet searches or visited websites related to the charges in the indictment, including by searching for the term “wire fraud” and for the term “evidence laundering.” Finally, AHMED also conducted internet searches or visited websites related to his ability to flee the United States, avoid extradition, and keep his stolen cryptocurrency: he searched for the terms “can I cross border with crypto,” “how to stop federal government from seizing assets,” and “buying citizenship”; and he visited a website titled “16 Countries Where Your Investments Can Buy Citizenship . . .”

you gotta love stuff like this

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Wow I can't believe you all don't get it:

ip = 15 million

ip + assets = < 15 million

therefore assets = billions and billions!!!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I wish I believed in anything like these insane people believe in this poo poo.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Instead of rings Sonic will lose his apes when hit

edit: Sonic the Hedgehodl

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

drk posted:

DOJ indicted a DeFi hacker today:

you gotta love stuff like this

The best part of this story is that the hacker seems to have legitimately been quite sophisticated when it came to his crypto usage, since they describe him using a variety of different coins and exchanges to launder the money. But it doesn't matter if the FBI can't trace your obfuscated Monero transactions when they can instead just read your search history. These people get so caught up in the idea that crypto is untraceable that they forget about everything else that can trace them.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Boxturret posted:

Wow I can't believe you all don't get it:

ip = 15 million

ip + assets = < 15 million

therefore assets = billions and billions!!!

no no you see, the ip is worth 15 million but the assets are worth way more than that. nobody bid on them because they're worth more. if they weren't worth a lot somebody would have bid on them.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I know accounting is a lot of people's least favorite subject but if education on it was more widespread the core equation could have probably helped a lot of these people: Assets = Liabilities + Owner's Equity. aka, the assets aren't worth poo poo for your shares if you're underwater.

E: Oh dear god, lmbo:

Loss carryforwards, definitely something people are going to buy a deeply underwater company for.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 11, 2023

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

You know the saying, billionaires stay billionaires by wildly spending their money. Buy Buy Baby is worth so much this guy wouldn't think of buying it for like 16 million along with some ip he doesn't need that he could sell off, no he wants to buy it all for billions instead.

Because it will engender lifelong loyalty from the current stock holders, whom I'm sure are the prime demographic for a baby supply store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

CrypticFox posted:

Ryan Cohen recently filed for a trademark of "Teddy Inc." The BBBY cult believes that this means he will soon relaunch Bed Bath and Beyond under the name Teddy, which explains why he didn't need to buy the company's IP at the recent auction. This is linked to their belief that the auction for the non-IP assets of Bed Bath and Beyond was cancelled because Ryan Cohen already secretly came to an agreement to buy everything else (so that he could re-brand it as Teddy).

It's also worth pointing out for those who don't know. The actual reason "Teddy" is a thing for Ryan Cohen is that he's started writing childrens books under that brand name.

https://teddy.com/pages/tribute