Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
It's the kind of thing you honestly only really notice side-by-side. Apple's UI's tend to be nice and responsive, and the high resolutions of the screens and the trickery around that stuff helps too. When I went from my 90hz Pixel to my 13 mini, it felt less smooth for about 30 seconds and then my awareness on it melted away and I don't notice it any more. Same on my MacBook. I think the only time I really noticed the 60hz screen was when I did some work at a cafe and someone was sat a table ahead of me with one of the new MacBook Pros. I could see him scrolling through a safari window and it was kind of like oh right yeah ok.

I think the bigger the screen (and the lower the resolution of that screen) the more you notice. It makes a big difference on my monitor, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I have the 13 Pro and can never go back to anything less than 120hz, at least for a phone. 60hz doesn’t bother me on my iMac or Windows laptop but when I see a 60hz phone it looks like trash to me now.

All the other flagships have 90hz for their “non-pro” version and 120hz for their pro version so it’ll be a little surprising to me if Apple doesn’t follow suit this round.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I have the 13 Pro and can never go back to anything less than 120hz, at least for a phone. 60hz doesn’t bother me on my iMac or Windows laptop but when I see a 60hz phone it looks like trash to me now.

All the other flagships have 90hz for their “non-pro” version and 120hz for their pro version so it’ll be a little surprising to me if Apple doesn’t follow suit this round.

I think the 120Hz pro phones downgrade to 60Hz if you’re in battery saving mode, if anyone wants to do a quick comparison.

Very noticeable to me at least.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's very easy to see if you want. If you put it in battery saver mode, the screen changes to 60 Hz.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The 60hz Low Power Mode is very noticeable :colbert:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

24 fps is playable and 30 is smooth

Weedle
May 31, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

24 fps is playable and 30 is smooth

this is true. the original pc version of san andreas was good

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Stupid question time but does anyone have any good suggestions for Authenticator apps? I’ve been using Authy but ran into the lovely issue that my pin code isn’t working (and that’s required to basically everything except getting OTPs). Tried what I can think of but nope, no dice.

I’d like to move (manually) to something else but I have an older phone (stuck on iOS 15) and an older computer (also stuck on macOS 10.15)

I have an older version of 1Password but I’m obviously not sure how much longer I’ll be able to keep that running, especially if I eventually upgrade both the phone and computer to newer versions.

I don’t have a Google account and I’d prefer something I can access on both my computer and phone if possible. iCloud backups (or a way to move everything easily to another app if needed) are fine as well.

Appreciate any help you all can provide.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
We have to use Duo Mobile for my work and it works really good so I use it for everything.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Upgrade to 1Password 8 and have it all in there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Corb3t posted:

The 60hz Low Power Mode is very noticeable :colbert:

I agree, and was suggesting people see for themselves if they haven't.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Seiyal posted:

Stupid question time but does anyone have any good suggestions for Authenticator apps? I’ve been using Authy but ran into the lovely issue that my pin code isn’t working (and that’s required to basically everything except getting OTPs). Tried what I can think of but nope, no dice.

I’d like to move (manually) to something else but I have an older phone (stuck on iOS 15) and an older computer (also stuck on macOS 10.15)

I have an older version of 1Password but I’m obviously not sure how much longer I’ll be able to keep that running, especially if I eventually upgrade both the phone and computer to newer versions.

I don’t have a Google account and I’d prefer something I can access on both my computer and phone if possible. iCloud backups (or a way to move everything easily to another app if needed) are fine as well.

Appreciate any help you all can provide.

KeepassXC and keepassium let you add OTP to the password database, clients available for mac/win/linux with chrome/edge integration or ios/ipados. KeepassXC is free, Keepassium is free with IAP(subscription or one time unlock).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bitwarden all day

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Don't put your authenticator codes in the same app as all your passwords.

Ravio and Tofu are both good for iOS. Ravio also has a Mac app.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If you can break into my 1Password account I will just give you $10,000, that's an impressive feat. They've never been breached

Now if you use LastPass, good luck

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's a rapid security response update out now for 16.5.1

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Macichne Leainig posted:

If you can break into my 1Password account I will just give you $10,000, that's an impressive feat. They've never been breached

Now if you use LastPass, good luck

You can also make a fair guess which one these two is heavily advertised and which one my friends use :(

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

buglord posted:

You can also make a fair guess which one these two is heavily advertised and which one my friends use :(

I'm that technically-minded friend who suggested to a bunch of friends that they use LastPass - I used it, as well, but I jumped over to 1Password years ago (worth it for the UX, in my opinon), and feel really bad that a few of them took me up on my recommendation. I made sure they were aware of the breach, but I wouldn't blame them if they swear off password managers altogether after this LastPass stuff.

I actually trust 1Password more than keeping passwords in my iPhone's keychain - I'd hate myself if somebody managed to steal my iPhone and get access to all my passwords with just my iPhone's passcode because they looked over my shoulder and saw me enter it. With 1Password, at least they'd have to enter the ridiculously long password that I use to get access to my vault.

For adding my Apple ID and 1Password to a new device, a hacker would need my physical yubikey to gain access to my accounts, so I'm not too worried about that. 2fa/passkey built-in integration in 1Password is just too seamless not to use.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 10, 2023

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i convinced my workplace to ditch lastpass for 1password. feels good man

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Keychain does the OTA thing as well now, just an option.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Seiyal posted:

Ravio is very good. Also iOS has two-factor auth built into the Passwords settings thing so you can auto-fill on Safari but it’s a bit of a pain if you need to access it manually 🙁

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Endless Mike posted:

I'm mildly annoyed I bought new Airpods Pro since they have Lightning and I'd really like to move as much stuff to USB-C as possible, but I guess I'm stuck with Lightning for awhile. (I would be, anyway, since between the AppleTV remote, PowerBeats Pro, and probably some other random things, I'll need it anyway, but I would really like to not carry Lightning on travel if I can avoid it.)

They will probably sell new cases for them with USB-C ports.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ojjeorago posted:

Don't put your authenticator codes in the same app as all your passwords.

If you manage to break into Bitwarden and find my account, the 2fa won’t matter

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Macichne Leainig posted:

Upgrade to 1Password 8 and have it all in there.

1Password user here, have they updated it where it’s officially out ? Any hiccups.

The main reason I haven’t used an authenticator yet is my wife and I share a 1Password account (works super well), so I’ve been hesitant on rolling it out and then it only works on my phone.

Macichne Leainig posted:

Don’t jinx it !

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Duckman2008 posted:

1Password user here, have they updated it where it’s officially out ? Any hiccups.

The main reason I haven’t used an authenticator yet is my wife and I share a 1Password account (works super well), so I’ve been hesitant on rolling it out and then it only works on my phone.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you confusing OTPs and Passkeys?

If you're just talking about 1Password 8, then it's been out for like 14 months

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just use the standard Apple keychain like a rube

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

101 posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you confusing OTPs and Passkeys?

If you're just talking about 1Password 8, then it's been out for like 14 months

I could just be a moron.

I only use 1Password for….passwords. Long term I need to sit down and re look at their newer Authenticator option.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
When you create a new sign in in 1Password, the 2FA is just another type of field you can add to the login, just like email or password. It’s nothing super fancy but it works. And most importantly keeps it synced between devices.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

hatty posted:

I just use the standard Apple keychain like a rube

Honestly nothing wrong with this at all. It’s great.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I use the same dictionary word password across every single website.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

You probably have a little notebook that says passwords on it that you keep them all in.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

American McGay posted:

Sorry about the pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Also this password was compromised from an ideepthroat.com password leak about 17 years ago.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Security though obscurity. You love to see it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Skeezy posted:

Honestly nothing wrong with this at all. It’s great.

The user flow for accessing your keychain to look anything up definitely needs some work - I know a lot of bloggers have been beating the "spinoff keychain into it's own app" drum for a while now, and I tend to agree.

iOS's Settings is a cluster in general - third party app settings shouldn't even be in there in the first place, only system settings. I know everybody probably just searches for settings to find them, but it could still use some cleaning up.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Corb3t posted:

The user flow for accessing your keychain to look anything up definitely needs some work - I know a lot of bloggers have been beating the "spinoff keychain into it's own app" drum for a while now, and I tend to agree.

iOS's Settings is a cluster in general - third party app settings shouldn't even be in there in the first place, only system settings. I know everybody probably just searches for settings to find them, but it could still use some cleaning up.

I’ll always say Keychain should be a separate app for sure. But I’m easy to please, they finally added the ability to delete OTP texts and emails automatically in iOS 17 and I’m good.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

wooger posted:

I think the 120Hz pro phones downgrade to 60Hz if you’re in battery saving mode, if anyone wants to do a quick comparison.

Very noticeable to me at least.

Now that I have a device with promotion (bought myself a new iPad Pro) I compared it side by side with my iPhone 12 pro and I honestly cannot tell the difference between the 60hz screen and the 120.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i hate that they called it ProMotion because you know what's literally never a useful google search? "iphone promotion"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I did finally switch from KeePass to 1Password since I was tired of janitoring my passwords, and figured $60 for a year was perfectly worth paying someone else since I could get my wife to finally use one and we can share logins for streaming poo poo and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

The Lord Bude posted:

Now that I have a device with promotion (bought myself a new iPad Pro) I compared it side by side with my iPhone 12 pro and I honestly cannot tell the difference between the 60hz screen and the 120.

This is mind boggling to me. I want a study to be done on why some people can perceive it and some apparently can’t.