Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
Missed the ever17/999/VLR/ZTD talk but we can all agree that the real crime is Remember11 never getting a followup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm playing this new Rain Code game, and so far it has followed in the footsteps of the Dangan Ronpa games in terms of being very entertaining but having some pretty goofy/contrived stuff in the details of the cases.

In the prologue case, I very quickly solved the "core" mystery of the train car detaching and switching to the front, and thus both corpses being the same + knowing who the culprit was. But the stuff at the beginning of the "solution" where the culprit sets the infirmary he is in on fire and hides under a bed waiting for the protagonist to break in was extremely silly. I'm pretty sure that "laying under a bed in a small smoke-filled room" is not a very conducive situation to "breathing." I get that the timing was just supposed to be so good that the smoke was only there briefly before the protagonist put out the fire (and you could maybe argue that the smoke would rise at first and not go that low until the room as a whole got hotter), but still pretty goofy. Plus the fact that he would need to time it perfectly such that the room was so full of smoke that he could get under the bed without being seen.

I still enjoyed the case overall, though. The train car gimmick was pretty good and well-explained. The shinigami lady is entertaining, at least with the Japanese dub. I'm curious to find out what the various big plot twists/gimmicks will be.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

apparently literally every store that sells video games in town didn't get their shipment of rain code lmao, so i guess i get to wait until it comes in. when that will be is a mystery

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

How meta

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hear u can buy things online nowadays

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The minigame stuff in Rain Code is exhausting, especially coming from Attorney of the Arcane where it's just presenting evidence in quick succession. Yes thank you I love to do a five minute combat sequence for every refutation I make, including cutscenes and loading screens.

I know it has Danganronpa DNA but even in those the minigames were relatively fast paced and quick to do

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm thinking about playing higurashi but I'm a bit intimidated by how big it seems to be. I know the first chapter is free on steam, but are the chapters relatively self contained or is it literally just part 1 of a really long story? idk if my dumb brain will have the attention span to go through all of it

it wouldn't be my first VN but would certainly be the longest and the first without some kind of gameplay element (played and enjoyed the first Danganronpa and the 2nd Utawarerumono. I do hope to play their sequels at some point too)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Part 1 of a really long story. No satisfying stopping point at end of p1. If you're nervous about length/commitment you can start with SteinsGate instead but Hig is a pretty good first.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Part 1 of a really long story.

The gameplay element is you share your Pepe Silva conspiracy theories in the appropriate thread, while we go "hmm yes I understand everything". It's more compelling than you'd think and a good substitute for the flurry of online theorizing that followed each original release once it caught on.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

While it is a long story, its worth noting each chapter ends on "an ending" of sorts, so you can totally take a break between chapters.

Also if you want to speculate/ramble, you can use the When They Cry Thread

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

No Wave posted:

Part 1 of a really long story. No satisfying stopping point at end of p1. If you're nervous about length/commitment you can start with SteinsGate instead but Hig is a pretty good first.

I was considering Steins Gate too so decided to give that a go first. A little slow to start, but I'm enjoying it so far. At first I thought I was going to find Okabe an annoying MC but now I kind of love what an absurd dumbass he is

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
stein's gate is a lot better than any of the ryukishi stuff imo, okarin's character arc is really good even though he starts out incredibly annoying

I mean I think Umineko is fine, I do appreciate that it has some cool ideas and music and some really good scenes but I got some ways through at least episode 8 and still feel like it never overcame the incredibly tedious overwriting where scenes just went on forever and a lot of dialogue that just didn't work for me (though some of that could be translation stuff I dunno)

I'll finish it at some point but I do feel like I at least played enough of it that those complaints aren't gonna go away for me

I only watched my wife play through episode 1 of higurashi but the schoolhouse game playing scenes were enough for me to tap out

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 10, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I feel like the one person on these forums who preferred Higurashi over Umineko. :ohdear:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SG is great, glad you started it!

Read After Burning posted:

I feel like the one person on these forums who preferred Higurashi over Umineko. :ohdear:
I do, but Umineko's soundtrack is so insanely better that sometimes I forget. I don't like anything in umineko as much as the first-person sections in chapter 6 of higurashi.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 10, 2023

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Nah I feel the same way; While I do respect Umineko greatly as a work it is more of an abstract respect where with Higurashi I much moreso enjoyed it moment-to-moment and got really emotionally invested in the cast

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
by the way this is cool if you guys haven't seen it

https://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtracks/album/concert-from-umineko-when-they-cry-for-clarinet-quintet-and-piano

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

stein's gate is a lot better than any of the ryukishi stuff imo

Counterpoint: Ryu treats his trans character with understanding, the steins gate guys...don't really???

That's major spoilers for both steins gate and umineko lol

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Meowywitch posted:

Counterpoint: Ryu treats his trans character with understanding, the steins gate guys...don't really???

That's major spoilers for both steins gate and umineko lol

the steins;gate one is such a dumb stretch for like six reasons

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol yeah that's the worst part of stein's gate for sure

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

the steins;gate one is such a dumb stretch for like six reasons

What do you mean?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I'm in the minority club too! Higurashi's themes hit home for me more than Umineko's, and honestly the "slow" parts of Higurashi aren't as bad as Umineko, IMO

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Meowywitch posted:

What do you mean?

even for a story about science fantasy time travel poo poo, 'eat more vegetables for a girl' is some hilariously awful garbage pseudoscience quackery. stack that on with the fact that they have to like bootstrap a bunch of different systems together to haphazardly attempt to send a d-mail that far back in the first place, it's like, i've had less trouble suspending my disbelief at dragon ball Z fights. okabe responds to it in a really insanely stupid way, too, even though it's in character for him. finally, the way they undo it stings extra hard for Reasons, and iirc okabe honestly doesn't know if that message was caught by SERN at any point anyway (and it seems like it wasn't, since the attack happens at the relative "present" and SERN didn't just quietly build a working time machine on their own back when Luka was born).

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
S;G's handling of its side characters is kind of a low point in general; pretty much all of them get the "haha, just kidding, you don't get to be happy in the real timeline" treatment to some degree. It just stings extra hard in that particular case.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I read Ever17 this week, and it was a big step up over Never7. Overall I'd say it was good, but would have been a lot better if I hadn't already read Zero Escape since Uchikoshi reused a bunch of concepts from this game in that series. Still, most of the twists were cool, even if I wasn't wild about Takeshi coming back to life and swimming around with water in his lungs, which somehow felt sillier than the time traveling player insert deus ex machina. You1 asspulling the destruction of the big bad corporation in the epilogue felt a little underbaked too, but tbf I don't think Uchikoshi actually cares much about setting material beyond twist delivery.

I figure if I made it through Never7 I'm probably obligated to finish the trilogy, but how does Remember11 compare to the others/Zero Escape?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I read Ever17 this week, and it was a big step up over Never7. Overall I'd say it was good, but would have been a lot better if I hadn't already read Zero Escape since Uchikoshi reused a bunch of concepts from this game in that series. Still, most of the twists were cool, even if I wasn't wild about Takeshi coming back to life and swimming around with water in his lungs, which somehow felt sillier than the time traveling player insert deus ex machina. You1 asspulling the destruction of the big bad corporation in the epilogue felt a little underbaked too, but tbf I don't think Uchikoshi actually cares much about setting material beyond twist delivery.

I figure if I made it through Never7 I'm probably obligated to finish the trilogy, but how does Remember11 compare to the others/Zero Escape?
IMO Remember 11 is the best of the trilogy by a long shot. It has its own flaws, but I think it is at least better than ZTD, along with the best soundtrack for a VN Uchikoshi has worked on IMO. Honestly from the get go I would have recommended only reading R11 and skipping the other two, maybe with a summary of those games' central conceit.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
If you've ever read a bunch of time travel fiction Steins;Gate doesn't work as strongly (at least in my case) and I didn't enjoy the characters as much as Umineko. I think it's telling how none of the other Science Adventure vns are considered to be as good as Steins;Gate, unlike The When They Cry series.

Still want to read Higurashi but hearing about the teething problems of the early episodes and that there's a lot of the slice of life stuff that bored me in Umineko makes me unwilling to commit.

If I was going to choose a long rear end VN to recommend as an introduction to long rear end VNs, it'd be The House At Fata Morgana.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I dont think Hig has early episode issues and it's much less preposterously boring than the siblings arriving to the island four times in Umineko. That said it does start with three hours of straight up slapstick slice of life so thats real, but I'm easily entertained when it comes to comedy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The difference is battler is entertaining, you don't mind following his antics because he can bounce of anyone. Keichi is both boring and actively works against the more Interesting cast because of how hostile and idiotic he can act. It's like Umineko if George was the MC.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The context of Hig is that Keiichi is 15 and barely knows these people. He's not a megamind but I truthfully never found him implausibly/aggravatingly stupid.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Time travel media never works or make any sense. If you get caught in the weeds of that I don’t really understand how the genre can do anything for you

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

S;G's system doesn't make sense exactly but I think it had some very interesting ideas that I haven't seen in any other take on time travel.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

No Wave posted:

I dont think Hig has early episode issues and it's much less preposterously boring than the siblings arriving to the island four times in Umineko. That said it does start with three hours of straight up slapstick slice of life so thats real, but I'm easily entertained when it comes to comedy.

I agree with this. I was fine with the "slow" parts of Higurashi, but much less so for Umineko, which honestly felt like plot dumps. Even the (early ch1 spoilers) inheritance discussion felt boring because it still felt like a plot dump.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
How is Umineko a time trave VN

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tired Moritz posted:

How is Umineko a time trave VN

Something something witches.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

MegaZeroX posted:

IMO Remember 11 is the best of the trilogy by a long shot. It has its own flaws, but I think it is at least better than ZTD, along with the best soundtrack for a VN Uchikoshi has worked on IMO. Honestly from the get go I would have recommended only reading R11 and skipping the other two, maybe with a summary of those games' central conceit.

My memory of R11 is that it was excellent but also blatantly needed a sequel to finish the story.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I decided to take a break from Uchikoshi games for now (though I definitely still intend to play R11 at some point this year), so I started playing Chaos Head Noah, and even having some idea of what to expect going in, I don't think I was quite prepared for just how unpleasant a protagonist this game has. I think I'm going to try to stick with it at least to the first ending despite that, because I'm interested in seeing what's actually going on here, but so far at least I can't really call this a fun experience.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Thuryl posted:

S;G's handling of its side characters is kind of a low point in general; pretty much all of them get the "haha, just kidding, you don't get to be happy in the real timeline" treatment to some degree. It just stings extra hard in that particular case.

Yeah, and it's such a shame because other VNs have handled a similar problem with much more grace, like Baldr Sky and 9nine. Even Muv-Luv, which takes the idea of a "true route" and cranks it up to 11 for storytelling purposes, is kinder to its side characters

I do think the tragedy of having to trample over other people's happy endings is also the point of Okabe's struggle, and it's especially poignant during Mayushi's ending. But it silos off arcs too strictly and inadvertently makes him look like a selfish monster

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I decided to take a break from Uchikoshi games for now (though I definitely still intend to play R11 at some point this year), so I started playing Chaos Head Noah, and even having some idea of what to expect going in, I don't think I was quite prepared for just how unpleasant a protagonist this game has. I think I'm going to try to stick with it at least to the first ending despite that, because I'm interested in seeing what's actually going on here, but so far at least I can't really call this a fun experience.

Unfortunately what's actually going on is even more stupid

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

WarpDogs posted:

Yeah, and it's such a shame because other VNs have handled a similar problem with much more grace, like Baldr Sky and 9nine. Even Muv-Luv, which takes the idea of a "true route" and cranks it up to 11 for storytelling purposes, is kinder to its side characters

I do think the tragedy of having to trample over other people's happy endings is also the point of Okabe's struggle, and it's especially poignant during Mayushi's ending. But it silos off arcs too strictly and inadvertently makes him look like a selfish monster
Are you suggesting it's selfish to want to prevent someone you care about from being killed (leaving aside the fact that he believes it will prevent the world from becoming a dystopia)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Are you suggesting it's selfish to want to prevent someone you care about from being killed (leaving aside the fact that he believes it will prevent the world from becoming a dystopia)

"Selfish" was the wrong word. It's more "single-minded"

He wants to save Mayushi, but more than that is his guilt at being responsible for the events leading to her death and putting everyone he cares about into harm's way. And there's no line he won't cross to unring that bell

It's that guilt that drives him the most + the inability to let anything go. This dynamic plays out in every ending prior to hers, and then is really driven home in the non-true Kurisu ending

He's a good person, but most of his arc is giving people what they want and then forcing them back into the status quo as he desperately tries to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

It's also been a long time since I've played S;G so I may be blurring together the characterization of Okabe in the bad endings or even S;G0