Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

People with thousand dollar wheels complained that AMS2 was too expensive when it launched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Squiggle posted:

Enh, I went back, people are stressful.

Yeah I have limited time and having my one race I could do that night ruined by a turn 1 hero sucked.

When its good it's awesome. But I just don't have the time and found myself really having issue with only being able to do like 2 races a week plus a practice.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Fired up Dirt 2.0. Was very hard until I remembered that the brake is less throttle, while turning sharper requires more throttle in lower gears. Still hard, but I had a couple moments of flow where I wasnt even parsing the directions, I just followed them and tore everything up. I of course lost concentration and rolled, but I see why it’s fun. Assetto Corsa does indeed have the worst UI I’ve ever encountered holy poo poo. The symbols rarely correspond to what clicking them actually does. I don’t quite have a hang of braking vs. downshifting vs. going very fast on a track and am constantly wrecking because I forget to just go clean and slow. Good times.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 10, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

That’s the thing with iRacing. I’m done racing AI. After you go up agains a full grid of humans there is no going back.

Same, I can't drive against AI anymore, I feel like I'm watching myself burn time of my life away getting nothing done. I don't know why I feel different about racing people but yeah.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish iRacing would at least let you race practice / hot lap on the tracks & cars you purchased if you don't have a sub.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I wish my local golf club would let me use the clubs I bought from the pro shop on the course without paying the membership fee

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

They will if you jump the fence at night.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Vando posted:

I wish my local golf club would let me use the clubs I bought from the pro shop on the course without paying the membership fee

How does it affect iRacing what you do offline? Do the tracks wear down?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Steen71 posted:

How does it affect iRacing what you do offline? Do the tracks wear down?

The whole deal is paying for the upkeep of the service as a whole, if you wanted offline no sub mode you'd be changing the whole pricing equation and while it's probably doable I doubt it's close to a priority. Plus - and this is a selfish user who wants more people racing talking - if you're paying a sub to drive at all you're far more likely to use that time driving in races rather than solo practice, which is the whole point in the first place.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tater_salad posted:

Yeah I have limited time and having my one race I could do that night ruined by a turn 1 hero sucked.

When its good it's awesome. But I just don't have the time and found myself really having issue with only being able to do like 2 races a week plus a practice.

Different strokes, etc, but I also have limited time and can only race at night, but my opinion is why waste that time going up against AI when you could race real people? Sometimes people do crash in T1, just like in real life.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Vando posted:

You really don't have to defend tying offline use of purchased content to a paid subscription

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Vando posted:

Wow what a bad analogy!

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I tried one race in iRacing and got banned for driving wrong in the pit lane... Guess I need to lurk more etc

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Squiggle posted:

Wow what a bad analogy!

Going to need you to expand on exactly where this one falls down there chief

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pzy posted:

I tried one race in iRacing and got banned for driving wrong in the pit lane... Guess I need to lurk more etc

Banned? Or DQ'ed?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Sure! "On the course without paying the membership fee" is dumb, because that would be playing it online with the public. Which yeah, understandably comes with the fee.

I wish my local golf club would let me use the clubs I bought from the pro shop on my personal, private replica of the golf club course

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 10, 2023

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Squiggle posted:

I wish my local golf club would let me use the clubs I bought from the pro shop on my personal, private replica of the golf club course

Hmm not sure this analogy works all that well either

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Well they're not tangible loving goods or real places, so it's a stupid analogy all around

TheScott2K posted:

You really don't have to defend tying offline use of purchased content to a paid subscription

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vando posted:

The whole deal is paying for the upkeep of the service as a whole, if you wanted offline no sub mode you'd be changing the whole pricing equation and while it's probably doable I doubt it's close to a priority. Plus - and this is a selfish user who wants more people racing talking - if you're paying a sub to drive at all you're far more likely to use that time driving in races rather than solo practice, which is the whole point in the first place.

Respond to this instead of the dumb throwaway analogy then

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Okay, if it's offline against nobody, then what service are they even providing? Do you really think the ability to race offline without a sub is somehow massively alluring and would cut into their subscription business?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Squiggle posted:

Okay, if it's offline against nobody, then what service are they even providing? Do you really think the ability to race offline without a sub is somehow massively alluring and would cut into their subscription business?

I have no idea but I assume they do because if not why wouldn't they provide it?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Because they're knaves

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 10, 2023

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I also recall when trying to get them on board with the idea of stuff like season passes for race seasons where you just get a content license for that season for a knockdown price the big sticking point is their current license agreements don't include any allowance for that, so I'd guess offline use/anything else that isn't the current model is probably not provided for, and I can see why that would be a pain in the rear end to revise.

e: comedy option: they wrote all the code 15 years ago and nobody knows how to untie it from the sub platform in a way that works

Vando fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 10, 2023

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I would believe either of those equally!

This was a good disagreement/conversation, peace be with you

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Banned? Or DQ'ed?

IIRC it said I was banned from joining real races for 48 hours

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The quarterly iracing slapfight has occurred, please send the notes to management, see you all next quarter

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Squiggle posted:

I would believe either of those equally!

This was a good disagreement/conversation, peace be with you

Yeah same, main thing I have beef with is when people assume the whole setup is to gently caress the user over for no reason. I agree it would be nice functionality to have, but it's not essential and I also don't trust any implementation of it not to come with 'oops we're raising prices as part of this!'

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Between iRacing, flight simulators, and train simulators there's just not enough time in the day to complain about the inexplicable business practices and dev decisions for niche hobbies!

Vando posted:

I agree it would be nice functionality to have, but it's not essential and I also don't trust any implementation of it not to come with 'oops we're raising prices as part of this!'

Exactly - whatever the reason it's not possible now, I'm positive they're the kind to charge more if it ever did.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 10, 2023

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I renewed my subscription for iRacing last year, did two MX5 races and that was it. Talk about wasting money :)

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Squiggle posted:

Exactly - whatever the reason it's not possible now, I'm positive they're the kind to charge more if it ever did.

I'm not sure about that, they don't really tend to put prices up much, and they do stuff like refund part of the price for content that gets superseded if you bought it within the last 2 years. There hasn't really been any consumer-unfriendly behaviour in general, the limitations do seem to be that they're a small shop working on a pet project and change is hard if it isn't something flashy that people want to work on.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Vando posted:

I have no idea but I assume they do because if not why wouldn't they provide it?

I don't think it's much of a leap to assume a for-profit entity will paywall an activity because they feel they can get away with it, irrespective of marginal costs that may or may not be incurred by someone doing offline practice laps.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

TheScott2K posted:

I don't think it's much of a leap to assume a for-profit entity will paywall an activity because they feel they can get away with it, irrespective of marginal costs that may or may not be incurred by someone doing offline practice laps.

They definitely feel like they can get away with it because they're doing it, I just don't think profit is the reason given that it isn't really a profits-driven endeavour in the first place.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They have literally no competition in their space. Someone really needs to make a sim that copies the basic premise of iracing but massively undercuts them.

It must not be very viable, or someone would have went for the 800lb gorilla already

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Beve Stuscemi posted:

They have literally no competition in their space. Someone really needs to make a sim that copies the basic premise of iracing but massively undercuts them.

It must not be very viable, or someone would have went for the 800lb gorilla already

ACC promised it but then ran away from the claim very quickly, probably shortly after they got their first server hosting quote

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Probably a matter of there just not being a big enough market to make it worth trying to dethrone an entrenched player.

Really curious to see how Forza Motorsport plays out if it has a safety rating system. Obviously there will be dozens of dealbreakers for the existing iracing crowd, but maybe in the long run it brings in a lot of new people? Wheels are cheaper than ever.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Rennsports 12 player single class lobbies are the iracing killer

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I like playing racing games it's fun. Online offline cheap expensive. It's good and whomever likes to do the same is cool. Even if its a little different you do what you like. poo poo sometimes I take my shitbox Miata and do real life pretend racecars.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Vando posted:

ACC promised it but then ran away from the claim very quickly, probably shortly after they got their first server hosting quote

Project Cars 2 wanted to be that too, as did Raceroom when they implemented their online ranking system, rFactor 2 has also copied the system. None of them have anywhere near the entrenched user base or (relative) stability of iRacing. The only other game that’s really pulled it off is Gran Turismo and that’s mostly because it’s in a different market.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Really curious to see how Forza Motorsport plays out if it has a safety rating system. Obviously there will be dozens of dealbreakers for the existing iracing crowd, but maybe in the long run it brings in a lot of new people? Wheels are cheaper than ever.

As mentioned, Gran Turismo Sport and 7 did this pretty well, but that’s probably mostly an effect of the PlayStation walled garden and their users having no other choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

As mentioned, Gran Turismo Sport and 7 did this pretty well, but that’s probably mostly an effect of the PlayStation walled garden and their users having no other choice.

I think FM has the potential to do a bit more, just through ease of access. Unlike GT there's a PC version, and you don't have to pay $70 for either - if you have GamePass, you can play it, and of you don't you can pay $1 to play it for a month. Of course, this is post-FM4 Turn10 so they'll gently caress it up somehow.