Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I guess I'm not seeing the value in this build kit because you can buy everything here separately for $260 less, if you get the exact same set of components. And it's not like any of it comes pre-assembled, so I'm not sure what you're gaining by going through Corsair. If you get them separately, you can substitute components that make more sense for your budget and what you want. You can use a cheaper but still good air cooler, a DDR5 Z790 board instead of a DDR4 budget-tier B660 board (seriously, the VRM on the board they chose will throttle when trying to power a 13700K at full load), and a better PSU (CXM is corsair's budget line).

This build list would still be $100 cheaper than that kit, and you're getting a better motherboard capable of powering the 13700K, DDR5, a better chassis, 4TB of SSD storage, and a better PSU.

I just brought Corsair up because someone linked me a PC they had that had some of the same specs I was looking for, and I saw the kits and considered it as an option.

That second build lists sounds pretty solid. Only thing about it I'd want to change is the CPU cooler and use a liquid one instead, since it was mentioned the Intel CPU get really hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Finished building my new computer today. Thanks thread! 🫡

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

KwegiboHB posted:

Questions about water cooling, never done it before, how do I tell it will fit in the case? Not sure how I go about comparing different types and their effectiveness. I did find the socket type I need: Socket sTRX4. The one I have linked looks ok to me but I welcome advice. If there is a better solution, I would like to know about it.

According to Pcpartpicker, one of the PCIE slots will be covered by the card in the next slot. PCIE Riser Cables are also new to me, but it looks like that should solve the problem? Do I need an extra stand to go with it?

I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer the other questions, but as far as water cooling goes, you can check with the official product page. They usually have a diagram showing different fan and radiator mounting options, or failing that, they'll list them in the specs sheet. The Enthoo Pro's spec sheet says that you can mount a 360mm radiator on the top panel of the case, for instance, while the front and bottom panels only have up to 240mm radiator support. You can probably consult the manual for more specifics.

As for the riser cable goes, this could be a potential solution, but I'm unsure how much height is required to be free above the PCIe slot. There could be a conflict between the riser cable and the cooler for the GPU above it. The Enthoo Pro also doesn't seem to have any native vertical GPU mounting support or anything of the sort, so you'd need to find a place for that extra GPU somewhere. All in all, it seems like it'd be easier to just find another board that doesn't put two of the x16 slots right next to each other (seriously, why did Asus do that?)

edit: The ASRock TRX40 Taichi has three x16 slots (wired to be full x16) with actual good spacing, and while it's very expensive on newegg, there are ebay listings for used boards going between $300 - $400 if you don't mind going that route.

kavik posted:

My current build was started in like 2011 with a couple of upgrades in that time, but it has served me pretty well until recently. I finally had my old boot SSD fail to boot about a month ago, and that got me worrying about things like my 12-13 year old PSU. It’s running again while I research and build something new, and I’d like to take advantage of the sales this week. Here’s what I’m currently working with:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition 3.3 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Some AIO, not sure. The mobo, CPU, and this were all swapped in together from a different computer in ~2014
Motherboard: Intel DX79SI ATX LGA2011 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GTX 970 4GD5T OC GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-09 11:21 EDT-0400

• What country are you in? USA
  • Do you live near Microcenter? Nope
  • What are you using the system for? Gaming, mostly single player.
  • What's your budget? It has crept up a bunch while doing initial research, but I’d like to stay around or under $2000 USD, not including a new monitor.
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? The monitor I am looking at from another recommendation will do 1440p @ 144-170Hz. I don’t really want to go above 27”, so that seems like a sweet spot. Hoping to be able to run new titles on ultra for a few years.

Here’s what I have based on the other advice I’ve seen in this and other threads. The 2 2.5” SSDs (one brand new) are being pulled in from my current build, but I don’t think anything else will transfer. Just hoping to get some feedback before I start actually spending money.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($439.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard ($199.14 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($0.00)
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($0.00)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XT 20 GB Video Card ($749.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design North ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz Monitor ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2127.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-09 11:31 EDT-0400

Is this reasonable? I haven’t kept up on PC parts in over 10 years, and have just been researching for the last week or so. I originally intended to wait for Black Friday, but I guess the sales this week are a decent excuse to go ahead.

Also, I had never heard of Teamgroup the last time I built a PC, but they seem to have the fastest timings and best price somehow. Are they legit or should I stick with someone like G.Skill?

None of this seems bad to me. Teamgroup is legit, too. They're more of a budget brand, but I haven't ever heard anyone say bad things about their products.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 10, 2023

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20

I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer the other questions, but as far as water cooling goes, you can check with the official product page. They usually have a diagram showing different fan and radiator mounting options, or failing that, they'll list them in the specs sheet. The Enthoo Pro's spec sheet says that you can mount a 360mm radiator on the top panel of the case, for instance, while the front and bottom panels only have up to 240mm radiator support. You can probably consult the manual for more specifics.

As for the riser cable goes, this could be a potential solution, but I'm unsure how much height is required to be free above the PCIe slot. There could be a conflict between the riser cable and the cooler for the GPU above it. The Enthoo Pro also doesn't seem to have any native vertical GPU mounting support or anything of the sort, so you'd need to find a place for that extra GPU somewhere. All in all, it seems like it'd be easier to just find another board that doesn't put two of the x16 slots right next to each other (seriously, why did Asus do that?)

edit: The ASRock TRX40 Taichi has three x16 slots (wired to be full x16) with actual good spacing, and while it's very expensive on newegg, there are ebay listings for used boards going between $300 - $400 if you don't mind going that route.

Of course the case manufacturer would have a website, why didn't I think of that? Looking at the spec sheet it will comfortably fit a 360mm radiator on top. Didn't realize I'd have the potential for going more than one water cooler in the future too, awesome.
I'm buying new so I can warranty the hell out of everything, the next x16/x16/x16 motherboard is like $400 more. I think if it were thin cards everything would fit but :shrug: $50 cable and $10 gpu stand works for me.

Thanks for the help! I'll be ordering the parts tomorrow, I'm so excited!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The new Balder's Gate is coming out and I haven't upgraded my build since I bought my Geforce 1080XT and i5-8400. What should I be looking when I do my new build? I figure I'll probably need CPU, Motherboard, GPU, and Memory but I have no idea what's good and what's poo poo anymore. Is Intel still in? Is Geforce out?

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

I've built a compact ryzen system to be my tv and stereo - stuffed inside a cupboard in the lounge. Replacement for an ancient i7 4790 that I might throw at my folks.

I wanted usbC on the front panel and something that would fit. Stupid place to keep a computer, but we really like the furniture.

Case is the Asus ap201 micro atx. 7900 cpu with 3060ti graphics card. It captures terrestrial tv and plays fortnite. It has a big ole hard drive. It's a desktop computer and we run windows 11 on the tv. So far everthing fits. Motherboard's usb header marginal in this case tho, but was wedged in.

It runs ok, but is bit loud when gaming. Lol this is with minimal cooling.

Adding some fans. Ideally will get computer noise down to "very very quiet".

Might need to experiment with a cardboard baffle or two somewhere there around the back of the case to direct warm air away. The cavity is open the rear.

If needed might look at under volting cpu, though I think the 7900 Ryzen is already running as a very efficient cpu. How low could I turn this down? Socket already maxes out at only 88W, is it worth trying to do anythng with

dusty fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 10, 2023

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

it's been so god damned long since i was posting on the internet i cant even recall how to add a god drat picture to a post.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Fans should help (also their orientation will matter), but the airflow of the case is really important. Looks like your case has a mesh front panel, which is a good start, but if the holes are very fine it’ll still be obstructing air intake.

Regarding undervolting. From what I gather, for CPUs it can be a bit of a headache, and isn’t recommended for most people. For GPUs it’s not too hard to get a stable undervolt, and can make a real difference to temperatures. In my case, it cooled by 3060ti by about 10C iirc, and lessened the coil whine when pushed.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

No front intake, single rear fan.

I'm running this on its side.

Starting to throw Noctuas at this until it is quiet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
...hm.

That's a less than optimal setup and usage of that ap201 case, to put it mildly.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

I coudn't see any other case option that would fit in the space and has usb c on the front.

Would definitely prefer something bigger.

sur le web
Oct 23, 2020

dusty posted:

If needed might look at under volting cpu, though I think the 7900 Ryzen is already running as a very efficient cpu. How low could I turn this down? Socket already maxes out at only 88W, is it worth trying to do anythng with

What’s your temps like during full load? This might be as easy as adjusting the fan curves to something less aggressive (altough hard to know when there’s barely any air intake on the sides), either in BIOS or something like Fan Control.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

dusty posted:

Would definitely prefer something bigger.

Bigger? your biggest issue is access to airflow, the size of the case doesn't really affect that if it's practically enclosed from 3 sides in that unit. You can throw as many Noctuas as you want in there but I don't think it's going to make much difference to the temps if you don't think about what you're doing. Given your literal use case, I would move the HDD somewhere else, put a couple of intake fans at the top and a couple of exhaust fans at the bottom, along with the noctua cpu cooler exhausting out the rear. That way when it's on its side, it'll draw cool air in from the right (top of the case) and exhaust the hot air out the back and from the left (bottom of the case). A 5 pack of arctic p12s would get you most of the way there I reckon.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Should I expect decent deals this week with Prime week and I just saw Newegg has a sale going on too?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Krime posted:

Should I expect decent deals this week with Prime week

Almost never, no

Newegg possibly :)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

At the very least, I’d expect some decent SSD sales (they’re pretty good already).

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Almost never, no

Newegg possibly :)

Newegg has some really good monitor deals going on right now but that appears to be it

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

change my name posted:

Newegg has some really good monitor deals going on right now but that appears to be it

I was wrongo with this post, Newegg fantastech sale starts today!

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 10, 2023

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've been begrudgingly targeting 4K gaming performance, since I already have a 4K monitor at my desk. But since I'd be sharing that monitor with game consoles and my work laptop, realistically I'm gonna want a second/dedicated PC display.

For space reasons it would be a smaller monitor (the 4K is 32") so I'm considering a 27" 1440p. This would give me some versatility, where I could play games in 4K on a bigger screen if I'm happy with the performance, or switch over to the 1440p when a game struggles at max 4K settings.

Anyone else doing something like this? I'm wondering if a 4070 Ti would fit the bill. I'd like if it could outperform the PS5/Series X for some games in 4K, but not sure if I'd have to bump it up to a 4080 for that. I'm willing to spend a little more but want to avoid sensless overkill.

So I feel like the prospect of a 1440p monitor opens up my options on that front... of course I could always run games at 1440p on the 4K monitor, but I hear that tends to look bad and I'm usually a stickler for good scaling (i'm the specific kind of retro dork who insists on using a Retrotink for old game consoles).

Obviously CPU will be a factor but I'm focusing on GPU first, since I figure it's the most expensive single component of the build. I'm leaning towards an AM5 Ryzen if that makes a difference.

e: oh and I'd like to stream too, not sure if that would push things into 4080/4090 terrritory

Minidust fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 10, 2023

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

sale doesn't start til the 13th, everyone mark ur calendars.

Oh hell yes

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

dusty posted:

I've built a compact ryzen system to be my tv and stereo - stuffed inside a cupboard in the lounge. Replacement for an ancient i7 4790 that I might throw at my folks.

I wanted usbC on the front panel and something that would fit. Stupid place to keep a computer, but we really like the furniture.

Case is the Asus ap201 micro atx. 7900 cpu with 3060ti graphics card. It captures terrestrial tv and plays fortnite. It has a big ole hard drive. It's a desktop computer and we run windows 11 on the tv. So far everthing fits. Motherboard's usb header marginal in this case tho, but was wedged in.

It runs ok, but is bit loud when gaming. Lol this is with minimal cooling.

Adding some fans. Ideally will get computer noise down to "very very quiet".

Might need to experiment with a cardboard baffle or two somewhere there around the back of the case to direct warm air away. The cavity is open the rear.

Have you used any temperature monitoring tools? It could be that the default motherboard fan curve is simply too aggressive and you could tweak it to make the fans quieter without worrying too much about adding extra fans. I know butterfly valley was just tearing into this build, but even in that little cubby I feel like this thing should be capable of being a bit quieter with that chungus cooler attached to an 88W CPU.

Minidust posted:

I've been begrudgingly targeting 4K gaming performance, since I already have a 4K monitor at my desk. But since I'd be sharing that monitor with game consoles and my work laptop, realistically I'm gonna want a second/dedicated PC display.

For space reasons it would be a smaller monitor (the 4K is 32") so I'm considering a 27" 1440p. This would give me some versatility, where I could play games in 4K on a bigger screen if I'm happy with the performance, or switch over to the 1440p when a game struggles at max 4K settings.

Anyone else doing something like this? I'm wondering if a 4070 Ti would fit the bill. I'd like if it could outperform the PS5/Series X for some games in 4K, but not sure if I'd have to bump it up to a 4080 for that. I'm willing to spend a little more but want to avoid sensless overkill.

So I feel like the prospect of a 1440p monitor opens up my options on that front... of course I could always run games at 1440p on the 4K monitor, but I hear that tends to look bad and I'm usually a stickler for good scaling (i'm the specific kind of retro dork who insists on using a Retrotink for old game consoles).

Obviously CPU will be a factor but I'm focusing on GPU first, since I figure it's the most expensive single component of the build. I'm leaning towards an AM5 Ryzen if that makes a difference.

e: oh and I'd like to stream too, not sure if that would push things into 4080/4090 terrritory

The 4070 Ti will be quite a bit better at 4K than the consoles. There is some concern as to the long-term viability of 12GB of VRAM at 4K, but as of now you only need to tweak settings in a handful of games, and you're pretty much never going to be worse off than the consoles unless the developer really hosed up the port. And DLSS is a much better upscaler than anything available on consoles, giving you an edge there too. The alternative would be to grab a discounted Radeon RX 7900 XTX, which has double the VRAM and better performance typically, but worse performance when turning on ray tracing. Current best deals on Newegg put the XTX at $900, though there were some deals on Amazon that brought the cheapest models below $900 (one was $830). The biggest con to the Radeon cards aside from lackluster ray tracing performance is their worse power efficiency. Depending on the cost of electricity where you live, this could actually tip things in favor of the 4070 Ti being the better value. Otherwise I wouldn't have much issue recommending an XTX over the 4070 Ti if you can find one for under $900. In comparison, the cheapest 4070 Ti at the moment is this PNY XLR8 for $769 at B&H. (the XLR8 is a solid card a very quiet cooler)

Streaming is close to free on modern cards. You lose maybe a few percent off your frame rates at most, so it's really not worth worrying about.

edit: just to drive the point home, the PS5 is roughly equivalent to the RX 6700 or RTX 2070 Super. The 4070 Ti is twice as fast without taking into account the far superior ray tracing capabilities or DLSS. If the consoles are your baseline, then basically any modern high-end GPU from Nvidia or AMD will give you a far superior experience.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 10, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

sale doesn't start til the 13th, everyone mark ur calendars.

Unless there's another sale I'm missing, Newegg's Fantastech sale started today.

Some random deals I've found:

12600K + ASRock Z690 Pro RS for $260 after coupon code. Really hard to beat this in terms of bang-for-your-buck. Yeah, 13th-gen and Zen 4 CPUs are a little better, but this is still a very good CPU. There's another bundle with the Gigabyte Z690 UD AX for $20 more or one with an MSI Z690-A Pro WiFi for $25 more, for two other options. edit: I forgot to mention these are all DDR4 boards. Newegg's also selling a separate bundle with the 12600K, DDR4 Pro RS, and some DDR5 memory that should be avoided for obvious reasons. Alternatively, the 12600K is available for $190 on its own, though these are good value boards at an even bigger discount, so it's worth getting one of these bundles instead. If you don't care about WiFi, then get the ASRock. Otherwise it's a toss-up between the other two.

Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 A3 850 for $110. Power supply prices have rebounded a bit from last year's lows, but this is a pretty good deal for a new ATX 3.0 PSU with native 12VHPWR support. This line of PSUs has gotten good marks from Aris Mpitziopoulos (though the PSUs he reviewed didn't have "A3" in the name, i don't know what difference that makes)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 10, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Unless there's another sale I'm missing, Newegg's Fantastech sale started today.

huh, no poo poo, coulda sworn it was the 13th ANYWAY ty for the correction

kavik
Nov 24, 2005

:ohdear: Oh dear... :ohdear:
I haven’t done the Fantastech sale before. I know it has started, but are the prices already set now for everything that will be on sale? Do I need to be holding off and watching for more price drops before pulling the trigger like Prime Day’s bullshit or am I safe to just go ahead and get what I need?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 A3 850 for $110. Power supply prices have rebounded a bit from last year's lows, but this is a pretty good deal for a new ATX 3.0 PSU with native 12VHPWR support. This line of PSUs has gotten good marks from Aris Mpitziopoulos (though the PSUs he reviewed didn't have "A3" in the name, i don't know what difference that makes)

I think the A3 is for ATX3.0 compatibility, which you want for the newest generation of connectors: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/newsroom/news/intel-introduces-new-atx-psu-specifications.html

That psu is also on Amazon with prime shipping: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C1JKHPNH?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Some case deals:

Fractal Design North is $20 off. The Torrent is still on sale for $80 off, which is an absolute steal. The Focus 2 RGB is currently $54 shipped only ($39.99 w/ $13.99 shipping). It's just a simple metal box with a couple RGB fans, but it's still a very good choice for budget builders. And the Meshify 2 Compact Lite is just $66 shipped ($49.99 + $15.99 shipping). The Compact Lite is worth the extra $12 over the Focus 2 if you can swing it, making it a super good midrange deal. The "Lite" part of the name means it doesn't come with USB-C hooked up (there's just an empty slot in the front panel that you can buy a separate cable for).

Corsair 4000D Airflow and 5000D Airflow are currently $15 below their usual price, which is okay, I guess? My main issue with the Corsair cases at this point is that they only come with two middling fans, which makes them fall behind in value to the competition from Lian Li and Fractal Design. But if you already have your own fans that you were planning on using instead, then I guess this is a pretty good deal.

Phanteks is offering some small discounts and rebates on the G360A and P400A Digital. $70 for the P400A Digital is pretty good value I'd say, but I dislike the reliance on mail-in rebates. If you're the type to bring your own fans, then $60 for the regular P400A may be the best deal of the lot. Though again, mail-in rebates are icky. Use 120mm fans with these cases since you can only fit in two 140s, and a decent bit of the fan area is obstructed by the frame when using 140s anyway. The G500A is also technically on sale, but the price is actually higher than it's been for the last month.

The Be Quiet Pure Base 500DX is around $93 after a coupon code, OR it comes with a $20 Newegg gift code, bringing the effective price down to $89. You can't make use of both deals at the same time unfortunately. I'd say just take the straight discount, though at least the gift card arrives automatically 4 days after purchase, making it a lot better than mail-in rebates you have to apply for and wait months to receive. And the Silent Base 802 White has a 20%-off coupon code, bringing the price down to $144. I'd say both of these cases are perfectly good but were a bit overpriced before and are now acceptably priced. They're worth buying if you like their aesthetic, and the Silent Base 802 has some pretty good mechanical features to make building in it easy and convenient.

This Sama IDX8-ARGB case bears special mentioning because it seems like a potentially great value at $58, though it comes from a relatively unknown brand. It's rather bare on the features, but it seems competently designed. Not sure I'd recommend people take the plunge sight unseen though.

After looking at all of these, I think the Torrent and the Meshify 2 Compact Lite are the stand-out deals, but the others are definitely worth considering too depending on your needs and aesthetic tastes. Lian Li is mostly sitting this sale out it seems aside from some small discounts on their O11 and SSUPD cases.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 11, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

the NR200 is down to $40 after MIR (for a very short time it was $10 because you could use one of the rebates as a coupon).

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Triple-slot-Tool-Free-Accessibility/dp/B08BFJ8V8C

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ooh, good catch. I was checking PCPartPicker for price information, but they don't see Amazon's digital coupon implementation. It's a shame that the NR200P Max never seems to get any decent deals. It debuted at a really good price ($350?) but then Cooler Master hiked it by $100 a month or two after reviews showered it with praise for being a good value, and they never lowered it again. It's honestly not even as good as buying the case + PSU + AIO separately. With the current sales, you can buy equivalent gear for $300

Also, I've posted some monitor deals in the monitors thread (and on the next page too)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Wow that Fractal Design North looks pretty sweet. Looks wise I mean.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

What country are you in?
USA
Do you live near Microcenter?
The nearest one is 2 hours away in Los Angeles
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting?
Gaming, not AAA. All I really want is to be able to run D4 on high
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
500-750, no peripherals needed
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Seriously answer this. It drastically changes the recommendations you will get.
I have a 7 year old 1080p monitor with a refresh rate of 75Hz. I'd like to play D4 on high but am willing to take some hits to fit the budget.

I kinda stumbled around pcpartpicker going off of reviews and prices to throw this together. I'm not that knowledgeable but it seems to be compatible. I know I should be able to save money on the power supply if anyone has any recommendations; that was one of the cheaper ones on pcpartpicker.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK400 66.47 CFM CPU Cooler ($31.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte A520I AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI MECH 2X OC Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($40, thanks thread)
Power Supply: Silverstone SFX 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($112.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $689.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-10 22:03 EDT-0400

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Injuryprone posted:

What country are you in?
USA
Do you live near Microcenter?
The nearest one is 2 hours away in Los Angeles
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting?
Gaming, not AAA. All I really want is to be able to run D4 on high
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
500-750, no peripherals needed
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Seriously answer this. It drastically changes the recommendations you will get.
I have a 7 year old 1080p monitor with a refresh rate of 75Hz. I'd like to play D4 on high but am willing to take some hits to fit the budget.

I kinda stumbled around pcpartpicker going off of reviews and prices to throw this together. I'm not that knowledgeable but it seems to be compatible. I know I should be able to save money on the power supply if anyone has any recommendations; that was one of the cheaper ones on pcpartpicker.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK400 66.47 CFM CPU Cooler ($31.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte A520I AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI MECH 2X OC Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($40, thanks thread)
Power Supply: Silverstone SFX 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($112.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $689.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-10 22:03 EDT-0400

This looks good but don't spend $112 on a 500-watt PSU, you can do way better. This 650 watt one is only $8 more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JG5M5TW/ref=twister_B09NM5KCKF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1. The 550-watt version is $98

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was gonna suggest spending a bit more and getting a 5600, but it seems the price has crept up a bit in the past few months. Might still be worth it, though.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wow that Fractal Design North looks pretty sweet. Looks wise I mean.

I was heavily considering getting it until the lian 216 showed up an open box deal for me.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I was gonna suggest spending a bit more and getting a 5600, but it seems the price has crept up a bit in the past few months. Might still be worth it, though.

Is it worth an extra $60 performance or somewhat future proofing wise?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Injuryprone posted:

Is it worth an extra $60 performance or somewhat future proofing wise?

It's a real meaningful step up - it might be more palatable if you switch the cooler to this guy, the storage to this guy and the memory kit to this guy, you'd save about $35 (as of this post's timestamp) without a meaningful impact on anything performance-wise, and then the extra $25 is absolutely worth it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

It's a real meaningful step up - it might be more palatable if you switch the cooler to this guy, the storage to this guy and the memory kit to this guy, you'd save about $35 (as of this post's timestamp) without a meaningful impact on anything performance-wise, and then the extra $25 is absolutely worth it

That said, I missed that they're using a 75Hz monitor. It might not be worth it if they don't intend on upgrading that any time soon.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Rinkles posted:

That said, I missed that they're using a 75Hz monitor. It might not be worth it if they don't intend on upgrading that any time soon.

Maybe not for the fps ceiling, but in the twenty-odd dollar range I'd say it's worth it for the 1% lows

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Thanks thread, just pulled the trigger with all the suggestions. Came right in at my upper budget limit but should be rock solid. I'll look into a new monitor; is there a refresh rate I should be looking for?

Etown
Mar 4, 2003
Looking to build this with a friend. Let me know if I missed anything major or anything sub-optimal.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i9-13900K 3 GHz 24-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Montech METAL DT24 PREMIUM 69 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: *G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card ($1334.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Montech X3 Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Power Supply: *Cooler Master MWE Gold 850 - V2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Corsair K60 RGB Pro Wired Gaming Keyboard ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO Wired Optical Mouse ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2859.90
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-10 23:29 EDT-0400

Oh and monitor here https://www.asus.com/us/displays-desktops/monitors/proart/proart-display-pa329crv/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Etown posted:

Looking to build this with a friend. Let me know if I missed anything major or anything sub-optimal.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i9-13900K 3 GHz 24-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Montech METAL DT24 PREMIUM 69 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: *G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card ($1334.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Montech X3 Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Power Supply: *Cooler Master MWE Gold 850 - V2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Corsair K60 RGB Pro Wired Gaming Keyboard ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO Wired Optical Mouse ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2859.90
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-10 23:29 EDT-0400

Oh and monitor here https://www.asus.com/us/displays-desktops/monitors/proart/proart-display-pa329crv/

Not gonna lie, this is a very weird build. Whatever it is this build is trying to do, the 13900K is probably overkill. Its improvement in gaming performance isn't big enough to be worth the $200 extra over the 13700K, and even the improvement to multithreaded productivity tasks is debatably worth that much. The air cooler also would not be able to adequately cool a 13900K. There are 4080 Founders Editions available at Best Buy for $1200 usually, and even those are typically considered a poor value. There are multiple 4080s available for around $1100, though you should probably consider another card entirely, such as the 7900 XTX (currently around $900) or 4070 Ti (cheapest card is $770). You can save a decent chunk of change on cheaper or less RAM while not really losing much if any performance. 64GB is generally considered overkill unless you're specifically doing something very memory heavy. The Montech X3 is a really cheap budget case and you should really consider putting all these expensive high-end parts in a better chassis. See my post above for case recommendations. You can buy Windows keys for around $20 on SA mart or most grey market key sites.

I don't know what this build is for, so I'll just drop this counter list instead: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/k7jGmr

I'm not saying you should do exactly that, but it seems like it would be a much better place to start from.