Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Pull up, thread. Pull up!

Edit: You all deserve this poo poo post of a page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
Put Yuki In A Red Bull

Ricciardo/Lawson Alpha Tauri, sure why not.

Honestly I think DeVries might be a perfectly good driver, that AT seems like utter garbage. But the RB machine doesn’t seem to do second chances

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Khablam posted:

he's also got an ego the size of Queensland

At the height of his RBR or even Renault popularity, sure. But you don't get dropped mid season by McLaren and then only get a seat offer from Haas without taking an ego hit. I mean he's floating suggestions that he'd be open to jumping back into AT next to Yuki if it opens the door to more. If his ego was as big as you suggest, getting into an AT would be an insult.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1030816/1/exclusive-ricciardo-open-alphatauri-drive-if-it-creates-path-red-bull

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Couldn’t remember if it was Lawson that was caught using “gamer language” on a stream but it was Vips, who he replaced. Vips is now eyeing Indycar, which is very fitting for a edgelord (at best) rich kid.

Specifically Vips had a heated gaming moment while on Liam Lawson's public stream, in what was possibly a masterfully arranged setup by Lawson

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Indycar loves taking in drivers who say gaming words

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Spaced God posted:

Indycar loves taking in drivers who say gaming words

Counterpoint: bring Santino Ferrucci to F1. We can pretend he's Italian. he almost certainly has zero super license points

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

tony quidtana posted:

I do think a lot of what happened at BMW in the 80s played out the way it did because they were tied to Brabham and Murray was just so used to having to work with whatever bullshit Ecclestone scrounged up as resources that he never really pushed them for more. By mid way through 84 they really needed somebody to sit them down and say "look the inline 4 thing was a nice little novelty but the future very clearly is a twin turbo V6 and you need to build that" instead of Murray trying to compromise and ending up with an already on the limit engine turned sideways

The Twin-Turbo Alfa 4 that Arnoux compared to dog food was a weird engine as well. I know very little about it as it never actually raced.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ferrari's V6 having the exhaust on the inside of the vee prior to '85 always struck me the best example of extremely odd decision making that stuck around way longer than it should have in that period. It had to have been done for packaging reasons with ground effect in mind but the engine hung around for the two years after that ground effects was banned and I don't think Ferrari ever had an aero advantage over anyone serious, even other turbo cars during that point.

The Honda NR race bike is the king of just completely wild and borderline pseudo science engineering philosophy from that era for me though. There was like a kernel of a correct idea in the decision making philosophy but the constraints and ultimate execution should've had like 5 different managers just putting a stop to it before it ever saw the track.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 10, 2023

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Whenever I think "Ferrari engineering" I remember that this is what old man Enzo thought a valve spring looked like:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I saw a clip of Verstappen prank calling Horner and quacking, anyone know if that full video is kicking around?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Hairpin valve springs were an entirely viable and sometimes preferable solution to the reliability of spring manufacture in the era before modern metallurgy, as was desmodromic valve operation. The great Mercedes Ineos AMG F1 of the 1950s, posthumously made righteous by the future hiring of Sir Lewis Hamilton MBE, employed that technology in their dominant road racing vehicles in order to avoid the problems of the highly shameful and problematic coil spring

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Frond posted:

De Cesaris’ record in that car will never be broken and it’s one of the weirdest records ever - 0 flagged finishes, 14 DNFs. And a podium at Spa to boot.

I would like to know more about this and less about the access database argument going on

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Hairpin valve springs were an entirely viable and sometimes preferable solution to the reliability of spring manufacture in the era before modern metallurgy, as was desmodromic valve operation. The great Mercedes Ineos AMG F1 of the 1950s, posthumously made righteous by the future hiring of Sir Lewis Hamilton MBE, employed that technology in their dominant road racing vehicles in order to avoid the problems of the highly shameful and problematic coil spring

Plus coil springs don't kill someone if they hit them at 200+ mph

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 11, 2023

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

tony quidtana posted:

Cry me a loving river lmao

Isn't that what you do every time Ferrari fucks up

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ewe2 posted:

I outsource Ferrari's race performance to my therapist now and we talk it out.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

You guys are doing an awful lot of actual lovely posting.
We just had a great race where Albon dragged a Williams in front of Both Ferrari's; laugh at Ferrari or something.

Elendil004 posted:

I saw a clip of Verstappen prank calling Horner and quacking, anyone know if that full video is kicking around?

I think it is this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF4OyJE77DA

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

tony quidtana posted:

I outsource Ferrari's race performance to my therapist now and we talk it out.

Whatever that poor therapist is being paid it’s not enough.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

DTS Trip Report:
A while back I asked if any teammates were actually friends and you all told me about Gasly and Yuki and you were all right. It's adorable, frankly.

E:
Holy poo poo, De Vries came in hot, just relentlessly poo poo talking Yuki in his opening press conference. Like straight up pro wrestling style.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 11, 2023

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnwJBzqvc4w

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

Do people think either of the Alfa Romeo drivers are going to be punished for driving the worst car on the grid or is this season just a wash?

audi might keep Zhou for china marketing reasons and i think he could legitimately be good but bottas only has downside, aging and seems to be checking out

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

I watched that video and there is a guy named Tony Pizzonia and he is neither Italian nor drove for Ferrari

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

ArmZ posted:

audi might keep Zhou for china marketing reasons and i think he could legitimately be good but bottas only has downside, aging and seems to be checking out

zhou has driven the piss out of what seems to be a fairly slow car this and last season, can't wait to see him in a better car

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

ewe2 posted:

That literally happened in San Marino this year

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

the milk machine posted:

zhou has driven the piss out of what seems to be a fairly slow car this and last season, can't wait to see him in a better car

It's the slowest by far. The Hass is faster but explodes. The Williams is much faster after upgrades. The AT is close. It's slow and has no brakes but Yuki and devries are both worse than zhou and Bottas to similar results.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

I miss that engine sound so much. Also, gently caress track limits.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Hairpin springs are great if you’re building mousetraps or any other device which needs to store a lot of energy and then explode in a fraction of a second.

I guess that’s why Ferrari likes them so much.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 11, 2023

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GM was prepared to switch their entire range to rotary engines in the 70s for emissions. You can pull bad engineering decisions out of any manufacturer's past if they've been around long enough.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Bip Roberts posted:

It's the slowest by far. The Hass is faster but explodes. The Williams is much faster after upgrades. The AT is close. It's slow and has no brakes but Yuki and devries are both worse than zhou and Bottas to similar results.

Tsunoda is reliably faster than Zhou in terms of pace. The Alpha Tauri is the worst car with the best engine.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

ilmucche posted:

I would like to know more about this and less about the access database argument going on

The car “finished” only in Spa and Australia - he ran out of fuel in Spa but was so far ahead of the 4th place car of Berger he was able to push it across the line.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

tony quidtana posted:

GM was prepared to switch their entire range to rotary engines in the 70s for emissions. You can pull bad engineering decisions out of any manufacturer's past if they've been around long enough.

Wait…

Bad engineering decisions? That sounds incredible.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
is there a resource that gives track overviews like describing the corners and getting into what kind of car is good there (high downforce v low, etc)

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Sunk Dunk posted:

is there a resource that gives track overviews like describing the corners and getting into what kind of car is good there (high downforce v low, etc)

would like to know this too, you always hear stuff like "the slow corners are important here" and there just seems to be a consensus that it's true and will favour particular cars

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Kirios posted:

Wait…

Bad engineering decisions? That sounds incredible.

Okay person who very obviously has never owned a rotary engine car.

The rotary engine briefly looked like it was going to be better able to beat NOx emissions requirements than traditional 4 strokes, which caused a ton of companies to license it. Ford had a program too, AMC had a license to buy rotaries from GM once they went into production I think. GM's was particularly dumb because they paid out the rear end to opt out of the technology sharing agreement with NSU as part of licensing it.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

Sunk Dunk posted:

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

would like to know this too, you always hear stuff like "the slow corners are important here" and there just seems to be a consensus that it's true and will favour particular cars
The official F1 YouTube channel made circuit guides in 2019, where a driver commentates through a lap around the circuit and describes different features throughout the track. I like using it as an overview of what to expect before every GP. Here's a playlist of all of them:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGYMvA5E8NHp82skR2yCATmVr87Q6lMsx

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Also I’m loving terrible at them but the F1 games even played poorly with a controller give you such a better idea of the tracks. Even basically playing it like Mario Kart let’s you get so much more awareness of “oh poo poo, if I gently caress up this section and have a bad exit my speed is hosed for a third of the lap.”

I kind of bounce off the games ultimately but the little I have played them they’ve given me such a better feel for a lap around the track. You might be able to get some of this from just onboard laps and poo poo with commentary though.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Also I’m loving terrible at them but the F1 games even played poorly with a controller give you such a better idea of the tracks. Even basically playing it like Mario Kart let’s you get so much more awareness of “oh poo poo, if I gently caress up this section and have a bad exit my speed is hosed for a third of the lap.”

I kind of bounce off the games ultimately but the little I have played them they’ve given me such a better feel for a lap around the track. You might be able to get some of this from just onboard laps and poo poo with commentary though.

I love doing a few practice laps in the game leading up to the race weekend as it also makes watching the broadcast smoother, as the feed jumps between drivers you can identify what part of the track is shown way easier.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Witeldram posted:

The official F1 YouTube channel made circuit guides in 2019, where a driver commentates through a lap around the circuit and describes different features throughout the track. I like using it as an overview of what to expect before every GP. Here's a playlist of all of them:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGYMvA5E8NHp82skR2yCATmVr87Q6lMsx

nice, thanks!

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Anime Store Adventure posted:

that last fast section in baku was impossible, kept inching closer to and eventually hitting the wall even though i wasn't playing as Max.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
If you gently caress up that last section at Baku you pay for it forever too. That straight is like climbing up those stairs to Bowsers painting in Mario 64.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
F1 game Baku is fine imo but if it rains at Monaco I'm losing a whole team's budget worth of front wing replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does the game let you redirect the hospitality catering budget to the front wing department?