Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

zoux posted:

Wow all the poo poo that sucks about ESPN, in print form!

Idk, isn't this sort of what big well-funded sports journalism business should be doing? Who goes to the Athletic or NYT for box scores or game recaps? In this day and age, you have every game you could ever want to watch at your fingertips, and more analytic data than you could go through in your whole life. You don't really need sports coverage to tell you who the best players are or what the rest of the league is up to like you did 30+ years ago. The tabloid drama, legitimate scandals, and feel-good stories, and various other "behind the scenes" stuff that only people with the right juice can get to is an essential part of sports media that your average joe won't be able to discern just from watching games and highlights.

Of course, whether or not they will do this *well* is another issue entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Athletic, specifically, was founded on the premise that they would have a beat writer for *your* professional sports team, whoever that was and whatever sport it was in. This is the opposite of that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

zoux posted:

Lol Framber was like "I'm only pitching if I'm starting" and Dusty said "Gerrit Cole it is"

The LA Times will also do away with coverage of frivolous things ancillary to sports like "box scores" and "standings"
https://twitter.com/SportingTrib/status/1678093855948939264

If you are in the business of printing stuff, why would you sell the printing press???

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If you are in the business of printing stuff, why would you sell the printing press???

Huge real estate footprint plus costs. Very few papers own their own print shops these days.

e: I shouldn't say that like it's a fact - I"m pretty sure that very few papers own their own print shops these days but I also haven't dug very deeply into it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

The Athletic, specifically, was founded on the premise that they would have a beat writer for *your* professional sports team, whoever that was and whatever sport it was in. This is the opposite of that.

It's clear NYT didn't actually know what the hell their plan was when they bought The Athletic and was primarily done as way too be able to pivot back to shareholders and say "GROWTH!!!" They first came in and told The Athletic folks "okay no more politics stick to sports" but now apparently they're pivoting in the opposite direction and getting rid of a ton of beat writers and don't want to write about the actual sports but rather the surrounding politics. Also hey a convenient excuse to cut costs by removing our own legacy sports desk! :downs:

The Athletic was already heavily involved in reporting on things like how sports intersects with culture/money/politics/etc, it's just that they also did beat reporting on top. So now they're just going to be a lesser version of what they were before the NYT bought them, which was the most predictable outcome possible given the NYT is an absolute loving rag run by empty suit dipshits who don't know the first thing about what actual good journalism looks like, as evidenced by the NYT being completely bereft of it in any capacity.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

zoux posted:

Ya this.

They've been going down hill even before NYT bought them. They used to have really interesting articles and writers that actually seemed to give a poo poo. Now it's mostly just garbage. Not AI article bad but it's definitely going in that direction. Lots of top 50 players this or top free agents that. Lots of click bait articles.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
The worst thing that the athletic seems to do is put out these "How this massive thing happened and the behind the scenes things that made it happen" articles. Then you read it and there is absolutely no new or secret info in the article. It's all the basic poo poo that was already known and they have already written about in previous articles.

Now that is probably just a staple of the media/newspaper industry but holy poo poo is it annoying.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

zoux posted:

Does every team not have a beat writer elsewhere (serious question)? I assumed the newspaper or TV stations of the major cities would have a beat reporter with a twitter account or some way to easily follow local team news?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Good for him.

Also: Sean Casey lol?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blind Pineapple posted:

Does every team not have a beat writer elsewhere (serious question)? I assumed the newspaper or TV stations of the major cities would have a beat reporter with a twitter account or some way to easily follow local team news?

Probably not for big three teams but stuff like MLS and hockey, not every team had a dedicated reporter.

https://twitter.com/MLBNetworkPR/status/1678483547831820289

And if you don't let him pitch when he wants...

Also it's insane how much better he looks like that than under the NYY grooming standards.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
if you have Defector or just haven't burned through your free articles this month or whatever, this is worth a read:
https://twitter.com/DefectorMedia/status/1678444139828977668?s=20

for my own part i'm awaiting the inevitability of sports coverage mostly becoming AI-penned game summaries and listicles lightly (if even) airbrushed by an intern while the execs head off to whatever it is wealthy people do other than their ostensible jobs

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The NYY grooming policy is an abomination. part of the aesthetic of baseball is gross beards and long hair

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Carlosologist posted:

The NYY grooming policy is an abomination. part of the aesthetic of baseball is gross beards and long hair

If the Yankees are going to insist on mustache only, they need to invest some of that mad Yankees Money into mustache R&D. Ensure that all Yankees players can grow Old Hoss Radbourne mustaches over the course of no more than one offseason.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Your moostache hairs are in violations, growin beyond the corner of you mouf. I heard Steinbrenner hisself say, you look like a bum.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

zoux posted:

Your moostache hairs are in violations, growin beyond the corner of you mouf. I heard Steinbrenner hisself say, you look like a bum.

A buncha Ehvises out there.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Devastated that Schwarber didn't make the ASG to hit a homer off Gerrit Cole :negative:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Carlosologist posted:

Hey now, NY gives their players two whole grooming options; “None” or “cop on paid suspension”

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

zoux posted:

LOL

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/MaxTGoodman/status/1678517440601260033

Imagine trying to sell to a fanbase that the reason for your offense being utter dogshit is that the players aren't inspired enough LMAO

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Redeye Flight posted:

If the Yankees are going to insist on mustache only, they need to invest some of that mad Yankees Money into mustache R&D. Ensure that all Yankees players can grow Old Hoss Radbourne mustaches over the course of no more than one offseason.

As a Yankees fan, I heartily second this motion.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Sean Casey implementing a novel technique of booing his hitters in the batting cages

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't know if anyone even remembers this, but the Marlins signed two Cuban brothers for a bunch of money in 2018 and both of them have been pretty terrible. But the older brother (VV Mesa) has been far worse than anyone ever would have imagined and is probably done with the org

https://twitter.com/francysromeroFR/status/1678527728398618624?s=20

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I remember there being an insane amount of hype around VVM. You just never know with young international guys.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

MrMidnight posted:

The boos during the Astros pick totally hosed Manfred up lol

https://twitter.com/LookoutLanding/status/1678216846267359233?s=20

This is funny but I do feel kinda bad for Brice Matthews

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

MrMidnight posted:

Dude looks so butthurt lmao

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Carlosologist posted:

I kind of like the Yankees having a useless stupid old timey rule. Kind of like letting pitchers hit, it adds a unique flavor of "You there, this is the made-up rule that sets an unbreakable tradition, now buckle down!" from the olden days.

As long as it's not racist, I'm all on board with each team having a bizarre quirk. Let the White Sox wear shorts again. Bring back a jersey with the laces on the collar for the Tigers or somebody. Let the Rays have a pool full of sea creatures in the ballpark, perhaps!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

MrMidnight posted:

That's my city :911:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Red posted:

I kind of like the Yankees having a useless stupid old timey rule. Kind of like letting pitchers hit, it adds a unique flavor of "You there, this is the made-up rule that sets an unbreakable tradition, now buckle down!" from the olden days.

As long as it's not racist, I'm all on board with each team having a bizarre quirk. Let the White Sox wear shorts again. Bring back a jersey with the laces on the collar for the Tigers or somebody. Let the Rays have a pool full of sea creatures in the ballpark, perhaps!

The hair policy isn’t racist but it gets iffy culturally when we’re not talking about gross white dudes making poor personal hygiene choices.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Red posted:

:yeah: It's good.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I’m against the Yankees’ facial hair policy until seeing them play against the Red Sox, who are somehow the least attractive team in baseball.

There has to be a balance between the inherent racism in a facial hair policy and protecting TV from white dudes with bad 20s facial hair.

I say this as a white dude that had an unironic goatee in 2005-6 because that’s all that would come in at the time.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
its messed up that we allow professional baseball players 4 consecutive days off in the middle of July

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

its messed up that we allow professional baseball players 4 consecutive days off in the middle of July

Vlad is gonna need that time to catch his breath

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I didn’t watch. Did Vlad Jr say he’d never play for the Yankees after the derby?

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Yes, after every dinger

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
why would he want to play for a terrible joke of a team

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Why would he want to play for the Blue Jays AAA affiliate?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I didn't even know there was a Restricted List. Does that include, like Pete Rose or generally just PED users?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tayter Swift posted:

I didn't even know there was a Restricted List. Does that include, like Pete Rose or generally just PED users?

Just means the team has keepsies on the player if/when they decide to return.

We usually see it for stuff like this or player does something stupid or illegal.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Popete posted:

They did it last year and like four Dodgers ended up on paternity leave in April lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Julio hit 41 home runs in a single round and set the new record :stare:

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1678577174549504000

I love him so much :swoon: