Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Ugh, my house was built in 98, and while I can fit two F series in it, it's snug. Apparently during construction there was a $5k upcharge to make the garage 5' wider and oh man I wish they had picked it.

Also, I would highly suggest shortening the bar on the door opener so it doesn't hang down as far. There was some miscommunication at the house here and my wife opened the door when I wasn't thinking she was coming in via garage door and since I left the liftgate up, it split my carbon fiber spoiler like an egg. :(

Thankfully JBSpeed seems to be fairly quick on shipping, but... gently caress man I didn't need any more poo poo to deal with right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Ouch :(

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

After dealing with fatigued alloy threads pulling out on 25+ year old Nissan's, I thought that moving to the comparatively modern and young E92 would mean at least 10 years before I'd have to perform the sacred rites and pray before torquing up any bolt seated in the block or head.

But no, today the bottom bolt on the power steering belt tensioner pulled the thread out way short of the target torque. After performing a short-lived surrender cobra, I checked the part diagram again and fortunately it turns out that the thread is in a small removable mount rather than the block itself! But of course, the engine has to be lifted up a few cm (or the subframe dropped accordingly) to allow the mounting bolts to be extracted.

Time to replace the engine mounts as well I guess, as it requires most of the same work.

A quick sense check - according to this thread the torque for the belt tensioner mounting bolts is 40Nm which seems slightly high for an M8 bolt into alloy. The thread quotes the standard torque for the bolt type from the TIS rather than a specific torque. Does this figure sound right?

Which engine? e: clicked the link.

PM me your email and I can invite you to new tis for access, which will mean the links in that thread will still work.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

glyph posted:

Which engine? e: clicked the link.

PM me your email and I can invite you to new tis for access, which will mean the links in that thread will still work.

Yes I should have clarified that it's a S65. Thanks for the offer - PM incoming!

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Yes I should have clarified that it's a S65. Thanks for the offer - PM incoming!

Sent.

If anyone else wants in, PM me an email, preferably one I can copy and paste.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Well this won't take long to fix, I ordered it from JBSpeed like 40 hours ago, maybe 50. It's already here. Just need to touch up the edge of the trunk, thankfully I already have the paint

Edit, okay I guess I ordered it on the 1st, but wow.

Alarbus fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 4, 2023

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Someone on Facebook recommended adding this stuff to help deal with N52 lifter tick. Is this a good, bad, and/or dumb idea?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I can't comment on that but when my e36 would get lifter tick just topping it off with some oil (it had a leak) fixed it. If you're getting lifter tick after an oil change still maybe an actual issue?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Basically every N52 has lifter tick except for right after you drive the poo poo out of it

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Basically every N52 has lifter tick except for right after you drive the poo poo out of it

Pretty much. My South African built one was much quieter than my Munich built one. I hadn't seen there was anything specific to add that fixed it, but it's been a while.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

The B48 is really, really good. I look forward to building something stupid once control over everything on them is more figured out. They've got weird stuff like ECU controlled oil pump, ECU controlled vacuum pump in the motor, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P8TcvJwPlk

(B48 swapped E46 with 8HP auto)

The B58 and the B48 are both fantastically designed engines that are well designed, receptive to power and reliable. That is unless you buy a 2020 M340 which apparently came with an oil pump with plastic impellers.

I’m still mad about it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
lol what. That was covered under warranty, right?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

lol what. That was covered under warranty, right?

Mine’s not broken but it’s now a $3k preventative repair as you have to remove the whole front subframe to get to it on xdrive cars. My plan was to keep my 20k mile paid off B58 as my commuter for a while and buy a used P car or a new M2.

Thankfully it hasn’t killed more than a couple of engines but it sucks to know that it’s a time-bomb.

It literally was only the first couple of months of m340 production until the part quietly switched over.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
It's happening!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What is that, a jpeg for ants?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
:(

Imgur went to webp I guess. Fail. Doing the full brake swap on the F36 to the M Sport

Also. FCP Euro says the calipers on held on with an 18mm hex. This is wrong. It's an E16 torx. Which I spent an hour not finding in my workshop. >:(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have the same torque wrench as you.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

No lifter noise here - but every day is Italian Tune Up day for my N52.

E: nice looking set of clampers alarbus!

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 7, 2023

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Further discoveries! The rear caliper bolts are 5/8" for some goddamn reason, and they have thread locker installed on them from BMW. Stealing the little butane torch from the kitchen and heating the old caliper thread area was key. This was a PA and NJ car, and boy were the rotors starting to rust weld.

Since I did not buy the quick Jack like I wanted, gonna be fun going back around to bleed them all.

I'll have to finish after the kids go to bed.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Alarbus posted:

Further discoveries! The rear caliper bolts are 5/8" for some goddamn reason

:raise: 16mm

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

lmao that would make more sense. I guess my set didn't have 16? The 5/8 worked great, once I fixed the threadlocker.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Man, there are some F30 330i's that aren't too far off from the price range I've been shopping 328d's in. That's mildly tempting to start considering.

e: found a winner!

fknlo fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 10, 2023

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

ThirstyBuck posted:

No lifter noise here - but every day is Italian Tune Up day for my N52.

:hfive:

I routinely touch 5k, mine idles as smooth as you'd expect it to.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Mine has just a little bit of tick but I probably do go more gently on it than most

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I beat both of mine a bit, but haven’t noticed compared to my NA miata crazy loud lifter tick

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

glyph posted:

:hfive:

I routinely touch 5k, mine idles as smooth as you'd expect it to.

Why stop there?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I paid for the whole tachometer, I'm going to use the whole tachometer.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
big same

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gangringo posted:

:siren: thread title

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Gangringo posted:

:hmmyes:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
*money shifts*

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
Hi BMW thread! We just bought a 2017 X1 with 50K miles and loved it for the first few days, until we started getting a secure against rolling warning whenever we put it in park. Turns out the genius German engineers at BMW put a prone to failure spring in the shifter that tells the vehicle when it is in park. From what I can read the dealership wants something like $2-4k to fix the thing, or I could engage in a multi-hour-long process to disassemble the interior and replace the $20 part myself. Yay.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

Turns out the genius German engineers at BMW put a prone to failure _____ in the _____

I'm fairly new to BMW ownership as well but this is my understanding of what it's like.

Slightly related - Just got the callback from the Dealer after I dropped the E91 off for the PCV recall + maintenance inspection.
They want $1900 to replace the cylinder head assembly / valve cover (not the gasket; I already had that replaced) and $1500 for the rear left shock 🙃

I just had the valve cover gasket replaced 5 months ago, feels odd to me that they're saying the assembly itself needs to be replaced now though?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 11, 2023

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

Hi BMW thread! We just bought a 2017 X1 with 50K miles and loved it for the first few days, until we started getting a secure against rolling warning whenever we put it in park. Turns out the genius German engineers at BMW put a prone to failure spring in the shifter that tells the vehicle when it is in park. From what I can read the dealership wants something like $2-4k to fix the thing, or I could engage in a multi-hour-long process to disassemble the interior and replace the $20 part myself. Yay.

Get some quotes from an independent bmw shop too. They’ll most likely be significantly cheaper than the dealer.

Talked to the guy with the f30 330i. Looks good but is just a bit out of the price range I’m looking at. The market is pretty obviously collapsing so that might change. A 328d would be more ideal but this is localish and all of those with the spec I want are on either coast and shipping or fly and drive at those distances adds up quick. I wish there was a good track record of 250k mile b48’s but they’re just too new for that. I don’t really question bmw’s ability to make an engine that lasts forever provided you replace everything attached to it at least.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^Personally I'd hold out until 330's are more in your range. I know they fixed the issue on the later N20's but I would always just be paranoid with any 328i.

I was strongly debating getting an F31 instead of the E91 but decided I didn't want to take out a loan for once, and yea the 330's were just a little bit too expensive a year ago.

edit; oh you said 328d. Don't know anything about their diesel engines :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

^Personally I'd hold out until 330's are more in your range. I know they fixed the issue on the later N20's but I would always just be paranoid with any 328i.

I was strongly debating getting an F31 instead of the E91 but decided I didn't want to take out a loan for once, and yea the 330's were just a little bit too expensive a year ago.

edit; oh you said 328d. Don't know anything about their diesel engines :v:

Yeah, the 328i's built in 2015 and after are supposedly good. I still see a ton of the early ones pushing 150-200k though. I'd probably consider the right year, right spec, right price 328i I guess? Haven't really seen many of those though. The 328d's are pretty good to go. You get some of the normal diesel issues and while the timing chain issues of the early n47's were mostly fixed by the time they got over here it can still be an issue. And it's an engine out issue to fix since the timing chain is on the back of the engine. From what I've seen it's way overblown on US cars with a lot of the replacements seemingly being preventative. They'll all more than likely need some sort of emissions "fix" at some point and that adds another $2k+ to the price consideration. There are quite a few high mileage ones running all the stock emissions stuff so it's something that may be able to wait several years. The efficiency on them is the selling point for me since I drive 150 miles a day, all highway. I've looked at dumb poo poo like X5 diesels too so something a bit less efficient isn't a dealbreaker. Whatever I buy will get the wheels driven off of it.

e: Like this one. A few thousand less and I'd probably strongly consider it. I feel like there's something wrong with it because that is a pretty rare spec and it's been up for months. People pay crackpipe prices like that for M-sports and that one is a manual.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 11, 2023

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Sab669 posted:

I just had the valve cover gasket replaced 5 months ago, feels odd to me that they're saying the assembly itself needs to be replaced now though?

The valve cover contains an integrated pcv valve. You should have replaced the whole valve cover when you did the gasket.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My friend just bought a first car for his daughter and it is a 2015 320 at 60k miles with a March 2015 build N20 - so I got to introduce him to the world of crunchy timing chain guides on youtube. :newlol:

Hopefully the 2015's are okay for now. I have no idea if you can peek into the oil cap and see if it's disintegrating already, though.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 11, 2023

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think anything with a 2015 build date is supposed to have the updated stuff. I’ve seen some people say 3/15 but most say anything 1/15 and beyond is good

Did the lci 320 get the b48?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

fknlo posted:

Did the lci 320 get the b48?

According to wikipedia, yes -