Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
edit: actually il just post it and save other ppl trouble

its explained almost everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

zoux posted:

Do you have advance tooltips turned on
Yes.

Verviticus posted:

you're going to feel really dumb (sorry) when 8 people post a screenshot where 'injured' is obviously defined and i sympathize because sometimes its easy to overlook
I'm used to the game underlining mechanics but then not seeing a description of them somewhere so I look forward to learning that I was looking in the wrong spot or some other random setting other than Advanced Tooltips affects it. Or something absurd that will make me smack my forehead.

edit post your edit:

I'm used to only seeing the top half of this screenshot.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

For the werenado build with tempest roar, are you guys using earthen might or perfect storm as the key passive?

I'm running Lightning Storm instead of Tornado because deleting entire screens with a click is why I play diablo even if probably weaker overall but played a good amount of both and Earthen Might is stronger for the automatic crits but Perfect Storm felt better for spirit if you're still running out often. Once I got lucky hit on all possible gear it's rare you run out of spirit with earthen might but until then it's kinda annoying to have to weave in lightning strikes so perfect storm was better to play. Try both and see what you like and also give lightning storm wolf druid a try, with any sort of density it turns the entire screen into a wall of blue death and less annoying that tornado where you are constantly running backwards to pick up items, Animus, etc

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yes.

I'm used to the game underlining mechanics but then not seeing a description of them somewhere so I look forward to learning that I was looking in the wrong spot or some other random setting other than Advanced Tooltips affects it. Or something absurd that will make me smack my forehead.

edit post your edit:

there are two advanced tooltip options. iirc one shows the ranges an item can roll, i think the other is responsible for the underlined tooltips

e: also i initially learned it from a loading screen tip

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yes.

edit post your edit:

tbh youre not the only person who has said that so idk there might be some bug not displaying it at times

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Sort of alongside the confusion about mechanics terms is that its so stupid that they default the useful informational options to off. It's elective mode all over again lmao.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd like to be able to turn off the status effect floating text. I reluctantly turned off combat floating text, because I wanna see the numbers, but the endless VULNERABLES are just too obscuring. Well guess what turning off combat floating text doesn't turn off

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

harrygomm posted:

But how did you know to turn THOSE on?!

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

quote:

I record myself hitting a monster hundreds of times, then watch through it on .25x speed and record all the damage numbers into a spreadsheet. My first tests a few weeks ago (which led to the wrong conclusion on local multipliers) I had tried grouping effects together. I figured that my 30%, 36%, and 114% crit multipliers would act the same, and that it would be easier to interpret the data with higher multiplier values, so I tested the three together at the same time. But due to bugs and incorrect tooltips, I actually had a 30%, 60%, and 114% (and 60% less additive). So to find out how things actually work, I then had to test the 30% alone, then the 60% alone, then the 114% alone. If you want to see the amount of data I took just for the necro crit bugs, I linked my spreadsheet with that data in the description of my necro crit bug video.

I'm working on defensive research right now, and its even more tedious. Unless I'm missing something, there's no popup numbers for damage taken, so I have to just stand there with my cursor over the health globe and then manually do the math to find out how much damage each hit was.

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 10, 2023

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But how did you know to turn THOSE on?!

they were on by default on my xbox. actually i’ve looked for an option to turn them off and haven’t found one

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Mikojan posted:

I record myself hitting a monster hundreds of times, then watch through it on .25x speed and record all the damage numbers into a spreadsheet. My first tests a few weeks ago (which led to the wrong conclusion on local multipliers) I had tried grouping effects together. I figured that my 30%, 36%, and 114% crit multipliers would act the same, and that it would be easier to interpret the data with higher multiplier values, so I tested the three together at the same time. But due to bugs and incorrect tooltips, I actually had a 30%, 60%, and 114% (and 60% less additive). So to find out how things actually work, I then had to test the 30% alone, then the 60% alone, then the 114% alone. If you want to see the amount of data I took just for the necro crit bugs, I linked my spreadsheet with that data in the description of my necro crit bug video.

I'm working on defensive research right now, and its even more tedious. Unless I'm missing something, there's no popup numbers for damage taken, so I have to just stand there with my cursor over the health globe and then manually do the math to find out how much damage each hit was.

This sounds horrendous and I applaud the effort.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

oh nonono jesus no

thats a quote from the vid posted earlier

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

zoux posted:

Too bad because druid probably has the most class variety

druid is great if you want to roleplay pam from archer or matty matheson

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm roleplaying a big rangy wolf who throws tornados

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I’m perpetually a werrwolf with three werewolf buds. I think the werewolf buds aspect isn’t great but I leave it on unless I’m doing the hardest nm dungeons I can because it looks so much cooler

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brain Curry posted:

I’m perpetually a werrwolf with three werewolf buds. I think the werewolf buds aspect isn’t great but I leave it on unless I’m doing the hardest nm dungeons I can because it looks so much cooler

Yeah all the guides say the perma grizz/wolf chests aren't BIS, but they are because they turn you into a permanent wereguy.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Two of my lightning aspects don’t actually do any damage, they just flood the screen with cool looking lightning.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

zoux posted:

Yeah all the guides say the perma grizz/wolf chests aren't BIS, but they are because they turn you into a permanent wereguy.

So does enough cdr and lucky hit

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Hulk Krogan posted:

There's no way a full respec costs 25M unless you're also including the cost of upgrading and enchanting new gear. At 100 it's like 8M and change to reset the skill tree. 14k per paragon points sounds in the ballpark and that works out to another 2.8M for 200 points.

so a respec of all skills is 4.3M and each paragon point is 39K. 225 points is 8.8M. yeah idk where i got 25M from, i must have done some other rerolling and forgotten about it

harrygomm posted:

there are two advanced tooltip options. iirc one shows the ranges an item can roll, i think the other is responsible for the underlined tooltips

i just looked at this too. neither ‘advanced tooltip compare’ nor ‘advanced tooltip information’ toggle the extra info for underlined abilities on my end at least. i also have turn off all tutorials set to true.

that being said, i am only seeing definitions for fortified and berserking but not unstoppable. who knows

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Time posted:

So does enough cdr and lucky hit

Not the “companions are werewolves” aspect, which is the one I keep on even though it sucks. That and the additional companion aspect means I run around as a pack of four werewolves until I get on my horse or turn back in to a human to point at the enemy my werewolf bros should attack

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Brain Curry posted:

Not the “companions are werewolves” aspect, which is the one I keep on even though it sucks. That and the additional companion aspect means I run around as a pack of four werewolves until I get on my horse or turn back in to a human to point at the enemy my werewolf bros should attack

I respect using skills bc you think they are cool. It’s why I still switch to pulverize stuff even tho it’s just worse. So much fun

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Diablo 4 is the most complicated on it's face with all the variables but also doesn't spend any time to explain poo poo it absolutely wants you to grok going WT3 and 4.

It's so loving weird they backtracked so hard and far into the gently caress you territory when it's such a simple game in concept.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
uhh anyone have any tricks for reducing rubber banding and disconnects because I get bad lag spurts or disconnects like every 5-10min and it's starting to ruin my interest in continuing to play. I've pinged battle.net a bunch of times and I'm not dropping packets and consistently getting like 50ms ping so as far as I can tell it's not on my end. turned off cross-platform a long time ago and that might help a little but I'm still getting my connection dropped multiple times every time I sit down to play.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What does it want you to understand going from 3 to 4 that is not explained

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

uhh anyone have any tricks for reducing rubber banding and disconnects because I get bad lag spurts or disconnects like every 5-10min and it's starting to ruin my interest in continuing to play. I've pinged battle.net a bunch of times and I'm not dropping packets and consistently getting like 50ms ping so as far as I can tell it's not on my end. turned off cross-platform a long time ago and that might help a little but I'm still getting my connection dropped multiple times every time I sit down to play.

You could try running Cloudflare Warp to see if its a routing issue on your end. I've had that issue with a couple of games, where the traceroute/ping looked fine but for some reason it was still lagging and that was cleared up using Warp.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

euphronius posted:

What does it want you to understand going from 3 to 4 that is not explained

The damage formula and how it works and DR and how it works. The tooltips don't give you context or guidance, and people who wanna wing it (all of my Diablo agnostic friends) just winged it and ended up with unbalanced builds.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vic posted:

The damage formula and how it works and DR and how it works. The tooltips don't give you context or guidance, and people who wanna wing it (all of my Diablo agnostic friends) just winged it and ended up with unbalanced builds.

Oh that’s true yeah.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

GreatGreen posted:

I don't "complain a lot." I complained about one or two things I didn't like about this game and the thread lost its collective poo poo about it, so I defended my position. It's called a "discussion" which can occasionally happen on discussion forums.

No you complained about something that exists in many games then called us all insane when we didn’t agree with you. Enjoy the probe because you suck out loud.

Trying a new end game double swing build here in a bit. Apparently it’s bonkers.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Jaytan posted:

You’ll get a lot more of the materials than you need as you progress. If you don’t have a comfortable stash of materials salvage away, but gold and forgotten souls (from helltides) eventually become the only bottlenecks.

Edit: I’ve clearly played too much of the game, but I’m pretty sure I spend less than 30 seconds sorting whether a full inventory of items has anything worthwhile. Are yall in T4 and unsure about what you’re looking for on gear?

Here’s the checklist: sort inventory (this groups item of the same type together and puts the highest power level first)
-helm: no cdr? Trash
-chest: less than 3 defensive affixes? Trash
-gloves: no crit chance or +core skill? Trash
-pants: less than 3 defensive affixes? Trash
-boots: no move speed? Trash
-rings: missing more than 1 of vuln damage, crit damage, crit chance? Trash
-amulet: missing move speed and cdr? Trash
-weapons: lower than power level 780 or missing both crit damage and vuln damage? Trash

This filters more than 95% of items in basically no time. Most of this applies to every character. You still have to pick up loot because you will be strapped for gold. Filters would be nice, but it isn’t something I’m spending a ton of time on at this point.

This is super valuable. Thanks!

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

For the werenado build with tempest roar, are you guys using earthen might or perfect storm as the key passive?

Earthen Might 100%. With a good bit of lucky hit and crit on gear it will proc regularly. If you have some +max spirit from from gear/paragon and the Ancestral Guidance legendary node, those 5 seconds of guaranteed crits with the AG buff absolutely melts poo poo.

It makes you tankier too, assuming you're running the passive skill that heals you when you spend spirit and the spirit boon that heals you when you crit.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Verviticus posted:

tbh youre not the only person who has said that so idk there might be some bug not displaying it at times
I just got home from work so I decided to check it. It wasnt showing. I checked and confirmed Advanced Tooltips was turned on. I turned it off, exited the menu, and looked at Slaying Strike again... still not showing. I went back to the options and turned it on again... and now the tooltip shows, but for me it is below the refund thing so I dont even notice it there even when I know it exists:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tornhelm posted:

You could try running Cloudflare Warp to see if its a routing issue on your end. I've had that issue with a couple of games, where the traceroute/ping looked fine but for some reason it was still lagging and that was cleared up using Warp.

thanks I'll try this, cheers

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Pellisworth posted:

if you’re on PC i know people talked about putting your network settings for diablo, in windows, to public i think it was. maybe someone who has done that can expand on that idea

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

If you’re playing on Wi-Fi, you’re doomed to experiencing lag.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Nfcknblvbl posted:

If you’re playing on Wi-Fi, you’re doomed to experiencing lag.

I play on Wi-Fi with no real issues. Feel for the ppl who have bad issues tho, that ruins the game. No idea why it’s worse for them but that sucks

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Every individual zone fragment can be hosted on a different server and you'll be experiencing lag depending on where you're located compared to the server. The most severe lag is gonna be around towns and places where players usually congregate.

That's the first piece of the Star Citizen joke.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Hell yeah that dude owns.

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.
Don't worry, once Blizzard implements server meshing, the game will run as smooth as Donan's bald head

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i didnt realize there were two advanced tooltip options and i wonder if the second one is why i can see damage ranges but not keyword details

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Time posted:

I play on Wi-Fi with no real issues. Feel for the ppl who have bad issues tho, that ruins the game. No idea why it’s worse for them but that sucks

Same I have had zero connection issues or lag issues even on WiFi but maybe it's because I'm on Xbox, maybe it's because I pay too much for internet, but this game feels like a miracle of network based collision detection.