Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ex post facho posted:

I wish Wicked Implement had intrinsic headstone, it's fun but even on a dedicated stasis build its still missing something to be worth the exotic slot

I can’t stop calling it Wicked Scepter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

If Bungie could solve the ball dupe bug wrath would be in. So sad, I didn't play D1 and it looks as fun as Last Wish is.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like the ball dupe bug is probably not the reason they can't bring back Wrath. Or at least I refuse to believe that's the single hurdle, and not like, what to do about the unique enemies and such.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It could've been the reason why it got bumped from the calendar, anyway. If it takes ~5 months to reprise a raid, and one raid will also require 2 months of ball dupe bug fixes, they're gonna prioritize the other ones!

I don't think unique splicer models would make it impossible to reprise wrath. It's presumably more work than just having vanilla fallen, but every raid usually brings a handful of unique models and pathing behaviors. And it's the fate of any d1 content to show up in d2. Bringing back the splicers means Wretched Eye can be the most difficult GM of all time!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Good lord if I never see that boss fight again it'll be too soon.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Harbinger, Presage, Seraph Station, all great exotic quest activities.

Whetstone, not that.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Collateral Damage posted:

Harbinger, Presage, Seraph Station, all great exotic quest activities.

Whetstone, not that.

NGL, I wasn't a huge fan of Harbinger. Having Match Game active with all three shield colors meant that Arbalest (or a kinetic with Osmosis) was practically mandatory. The constantly respawning Vandal snipers in the big arena were a huge pain and basically locked you into always building for solar resist. It felt good on difficulty, had nice design and nice story payoffs, but it had a very fixed and inflexible solution build-wise.

IMO Presage and Seraph Station managed to have a nice level of difficulty, and even better impacts on story, while also offering much more flexibility in builds.

How about Zero Hour? The jumping puzzle was needlessly hard (I will have perpetual PTSD about the around-the-corner jump from the transformer) but Trevor was fantastic and the two arena fights felt decent.

Whisper I could do without. It was 6-8 minutes of jumping puzzle followed by a mediocre arena fight, done. My fastest Heroic clear was 11min, and that's way too short.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Zero Hour is another one I would have loved to have explored further but the stupid time limit meant I was glad to be done with it after someone carried me to the exotic

Whisper had fantastic atmosphere but would probably need heavy tweaks to be a challenge today since it was built for the season 3 double primary loadout

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Harbinger was too long for its own good and didn't have the mechanics or fun to support that length like Seraph Station did, but with match game gone it should be significantly more tolerable to do solo.

Zero Hour was fun and I like how intricate the spawns were in the final fight. I have a fondness for Whisper because I love beating a pretty difficult set of encounters by season 3 standards into the dirt with Malfesance.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

haveblue posted:

Zero Hour is another one I would have loved to have explored further but the stupid time limit meant I was glad to be done with it after someone carried me to the exotic

That's a fair cop, time limits are kinda meh. Either they're so loose that they practically don't matter (e.g. Whisper, Master Presage) or they're so tight that they give people trouble (Zero Hour, Vox Obscura, or the new alternate exotic section of Deep Dive).

Maybe the solution is in having the Normal mode have no time limit, but issue the Exotic in a basic form, and you have to run Heroic to get the catalyst to really unlock it for use, a la Revision Zero or Acrius.

(Speaking of which, I noticed that almost none of us in this thread brought up Vox Obscura when talking about exotic quests, and I figure that's because we've all got PTSD from it and never want to run it again.)

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

RBX posted:

If Bungie could solve the ball dupe bug wrath would be in. So sad, I didn't play D1 and it looks as fun as Last Wish is.

Ball duping has been fixed for years. I don't know why people keep bringing that up. You straight up can't do it anymore in any places where you would be able to dupe.

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like the ball dupe bug is probably not the reason they can't bring back Wrath. Or at least I refuse to believe that's the single hurdle, and not like, what to do about the unique enemies and such.

The models are probably a pain, but the mechanics are basically the same as the Hive Light Moths, except they just attack rather than possibly shield.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RocketRaygun posted:

Ball duping has been fixed for years. I don't know why people keep bringing that up. You straight up can't do it anymore in any places where you would be able to dupe.

The models are probably a pain, but the mechanics are basically the same as the Hive Light Moths, except they just attack rather than possibly shield.

I think you mentioned that you work in video games so sorry if I'm MazeSplaining, but I imagine the raid reprisal strategy is made years in advance. If it's been 3 years since Bungie decided what raids they'd be reprising for Years 4, 5 and 6, and ball duping wasn't fixed at that specific point in time, the damage is done and Wrath probably was never put on the calendar.

I'm predicting that it comes back next year!! Based on nothing but hope & cope...

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

iirc, ball duping was fixed during shadowkeep when they were planning all this poo poo, and generally "fix ball duping" would be part of the pipeline to get something out. We know that their TFS plans didn't manifest already and radically changed, with Player Capital Ships having nary a peep despite being in the single most substantive leak ever released.

But, yes, they obviously do plan this stuff _way_ ahead of schedule. I do not think that ball duping was part of the consideration this far out. It's probably something different like they wanted to reskin Crota to Xivu Arath or something like that to fit with the story, since they are hinting at "We are going to fight Xivu soon" pretty hard with the most recent exotic mission.

RocketRaygun fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 10, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The last thing I remember is that the original ball duping combo had been fixed but there was still a different, harder to perform ball duping combo. But that may also be years out of date

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

haveblue posted:

The last thing I remember is that the original ball duping combo had been fixed but there was still a different, harder to perform ball duping combo. But that may also be years out of date

The only way to do it nowadays is with netlimiter, which is considered cheating and can get you banned. Netlimiter opens up all sorts of poo poo (like being able to damage bosses before damage phases), and it's not something bungie accounts for in gameplay design but in game security.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Nah we were duping thrown projectiles in Savathun's throne world public event, and even 7 months later in the Pirate Treasure whatsits. It was a real bitch for them to fix, apparently!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I would also believe that there are multiple implementations of ball handling in the codebase and some of them are dupe resistant and some aren't. In the same way that there are still two different kinds of raid banner spot, vanguard op reward chests, etc

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

yeah probably. If they are concerned about ball duping they can switch things out to the more resistant ballduping mechanic. Bungie is not afraid of reworking mechanics to work in the updated engine.

I very strongly doubt ball duping is The Thing that is stopping Wrath. It's almost certainly something else.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

haveblue posted:

I would also believe that there are multiple implementations of ball handling in the codebase and some of them are dupe resistant and some aren't. In the same way that there are still two different kinds of raid banner spot, vanguard op reward chests, etc

Hell yes, and I think the bug is a large part of why there are so many unique behaviors for 'carried object'. The dupe-on-throw glitch can be 'solved' by having a ball you can't drop or can't throw, for example. But Wrath Balls have to be capable of throwing and dropping, which as far as I can recall was the problematic type of ball.

This also just reminded me how silly & kind of annoying the first encounter Challenge was for Wrath. The encounter dropped like 3 or 6 balls that you had to chuck at Dommy Daddy Vosik to drop his shield, and take off a huge chunk of his health, as part of the DPS phase. Then you had to go hide in an elevator shaft 'clean room' and push the button to close the door

Challenge mode was 'you have to throw one of the precious balls at the button, and close the door that way'

Which was kind of a bitch!! The ball-throw physics give your character some momentum, and the point of impact wasn't where the reticle was, at close distance. It looked goofy & felt bad to fail the challenge because you did the equivalent of throwing nova bomb into a doorway :dumb:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RocketRaygun posted:

I very strongly doubt ball duping is The Thing that is stopping Wrath. It's almost certainly something else.

I doubt anything 'is' stopping it now, to be honest. It was probably an obstacle at a specific point in time that kept it from getting on the 2021-2023 calendar. In a perfect world, they're already working on Wrath for the 2024 reprisal

If we ever get the full story, it'll probably have to come from Bungie itself. I don't know how they do it, but raids are the one aspect of the game they manage to keep under wraps year after year. Are the raid teams just fully sequestered? Or do they make it clear to NDA signers that raid beans are NOT to be spilled?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ullerrm posted:

NGL, I wasn't a huge fan of Harbinger. Having Match Game active with all three shield colors meant that Arbalest (or a kinetic with Osmosis) was practically mandatory. The constantly respawning Vandal snipers in the big arena were a huge pain and basically locked you into always building for solar resist. It felt good on difficulty, had nice design and nice story payoffs, but it had a very fixed and inflexible solution build-wise.

IMO Presage and Seraph Station managed to have a nice level of difficulty, and even better impacts on story, while also offering much more flexibility in builds.

How about Zero Hour? The jumping puzzle was needlessly hard (I will have perpetual PTSD about the around-the-corner jump from the transformer) but Trevor was fantastic and the two arena fights felt decent.

Whisper I could do without. It was 6-8 minutes of jumping puzzle followed by a mediocre arena fight, done. My fastest Heroic clear was 11min, and that's way too short.
I see your point about Harbinger kind of forcing you to build a specific way, although that was a more general problem of Match Game being overly restrictive back then. It was hard, but it was also very satisfying to finally complete a solo flawless run.

Vox Obscura was okay, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Presage or Seraph Station.

I never did Whisper or Zero Hour, I came into the game at the tail end of Arrivals and didn't really start playing in earnest until Beyond Light.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Vox Obscura was a time limit done right (or at least better), since it kicked you back to a checkpoint or mission start on failure. Presage and Seraph let you take your time and absorb them which is the right thing to do for a mission in a cool brand new environment

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like Vox should have checkpointed before/when you busted out of the vehicle bay door thing, cause it was kind of annoying restarting from the very start if you hosed up in the tank section, but it was much appreciated that there was a checkpoint after the tank section.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Regarding ball duping, sometimes when I load into the EDZ and drive over to one of the fishing spots, there’s like 500 arc balls on the ground by one of the public event areas. I don’t know whether it’s because of player behavior or something silly happening on its own, but it’s a lot of balls.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Roctavian posted:

Regarding ball duping, sometimes when I load into the EDZ and drive over to one of the fishing spots, there’s like 500 arc balls on the ground by one of the public event areas. I don’t know whether it’s because of player behavior or something silly happening on its own, but it’s a lot of balls.

That's the result of a bug in the fallen walker public event, sometimes it produces way more balls than you need

Also no one is making it heroic any more because that adds a few minutes before you can return to fishing, so none of the balls get used

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

Vox Obscura was a time limit done right (or at least better), since it kicked you back to a checkpoint or mission start on failure. Presage and Seraph let you take your time and absorb them which is the right thing to do for a mission in a cool brand new environment
Master Presage had a 25 minute time limit, but that was plenty of time as long as you were somewhat familiar with the mission.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Roctavian posted:

If you kill a fallen walker a certain way, it spawns a bazillion balls. It's a very funny bug.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Collateral Damage posted:

Master Presage had a 25 minute time limit, but that was plenty of time as long as you were somewhat familiar with the mission.

Yeah, and you could gain that familiarity by playing it on normal with no time limit

I only ever did master presage on clown car mode, which was extremely funny but in hindsight not worth the time it took to get it set up

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Presage was pretty cool - having the time only in master feels like a really nice balance.

Presage also wasn't too bad to solo - I apparently did it twice. Although both times it was close to an hour, so I don't think I was ever going to manage a solo master.

I'm a little sad dungeon reports doesn't have Seraph Station.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 10, 2023

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I attempted solo master presage twice but ran out of time about halfway through the boss fight both times. There was no triumph or other reward for doing it solo on master so I didn't put a ton of effort into it but it felt like it was doable.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I was able to solo regular Presage rather frequently. There were some pipes you could stand on that let you shoot the boss in the basement without him being able to reach you.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Even without that he was health gated not time gated so you could do whatever. If he charges you just jump up and go back down a different drop off

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Is it just me or are the "Get 5 Kinetic/Energy weapon kills" bounties in PvP just completely broken? Nothing I do advances them.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think I only used a fireteam for Presage once, when I did it on Master. It wasn't hard to solo, even for someone who doesn't bother with dungeon soloing.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

RocketRaygun posted:

Ball duping has been fixed for years. I don't know why people keep bringing that up. You straight up can't do it anymore in any places where you would be able to dupe..

It's was in a pastebin for Witch queen I believe. The one that turned out to be true. It was a version of the bug that was harder to fix.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man I got another PvPer cry video about how Destiny is dead on my dashboard today.

It is at the same time kinda funny and kinda annoying that it took this long for it to sink in that Bungie doesn't care (and possibly never cared) about the PvP in this game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got the catalyst and ornament for Gjallarhorn today :toot:

I could probably solo the dungeon at this point but the Fallen Shield bit is so insanely boring I just don't want to lol. The first half of the dungeon is great though and the final boss is alright, could stand to be a little shorter

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

RBX posted:

It's was in a pastebin for Witch queen I believe. The one that turned out to be true. It was a version of the bug that was harder to fix.

Yeah, but that leak also contained a whole bunch of stuff that never manifested for Lightfall (Player capital ships were in it).

Could it have been a thing? Probably. Is it currently a thing? No. I suspect that they're going to remaster Crota's End and make us fight Xivu (since she explicitly invites you to fight her this season).

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Looks like I've been playing too much Destiny 2. I'm at season level 99 from doing Nightfalls mostly.

I guess it's time to do some campaign missions? A couple of missions into the Witch queen story, it's alright. Not a big fan of the platforming because I use Blink and the level designers clearly hate it. But I hate them more and I'll never switch jump skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Same but strafe lift on Titan