Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kchama posted:

It's not even a new book. It's a 'reimagining' of his short-story The Lightning Tree that was released in the Rogues anthology. Basically it's a longer version with illustrations, a lot like how A Slow Regard came out of a different short story.
I think I rather enjoyed that story? At least, it was one of the few stories in the anthology that was interesting and not utterly pointless. (Not knowing anything about the characters or setting might have helped)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The very next sentence's grammar is all hosed up too:

There are basic subject-verb agreement errors here, but the sentence seems borked even beyond that, like half of it was hastily rewritten and the other half never got the memo.

lmfao what the hell, this is some Full Life Consequences-style writing

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Chicken Butt posted:

On the one hand, I am extremely glad that we are not actually being subjected to what would undoubtedly be an extremely painful-to-read and infuriatingly overly-successful third volume of the Khronicles, but on the other hand … what the gently caress does he do all day?? A decade of being completely unproductive would drive me to suicidal despair, and I’m not even an “artist“. I thought it was a universal thing that human beings need to be active, or their mental and physical health collapse.

He has kids so I guess being a parent plus chores around the house can take up a lot of time. But it’s funny when comparing him to the recent articles about Sanderson, who has a very large family and a business to run and apparently still manages to play a lot of video games in between the huge amount of writing he does.

Maybe Rothfuss should go live on the Sanderson compound for a while and absorb some of that Mormon work ethic

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I'm surprised he didn't turn twitter replies off for the announcement.

https://twitter.com/Comrade_Zach666/status/1659258338339692557

https://twitter.com/spooky3do/status/1659502271401435136

https://twitter.com/Chicken0w0/status/1659262619658723351

https://twitter.com/ChrisAmos717/status/1659263275987619840

https://twitter.com/catafantas/status/1659273456955924497

https://twitter.com/PukFoo/status/1659298865063796738

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Unban botl when if book 3 releases

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Unban botl now and give them a mod challenge to write one chapter of book 3 per month.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

eXXon posted:

Unban botl now and give them a mod challenge to write one chapter of book 3 per month.

I don't think he'd do that

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Bing! pretending to be Pat is a better writer than Pat pretending to work.

quote:

Here's a forum post about work ethics in the style of Patrick Rothfuss with esoteric metaphors:

"The world is a tapestry. And like any tapestry, it is woven from many threads. We are the weavers. And our work is to make sure that the threads are strong and true.

But what does that mean? It means we must be mindful of the patterns we weave. We must choose our colors with care and attention. We must be respectful of the other weavers who share our space.

And we must be patient. For a tapestry does not come together overnight. It takes time and effort and love.

But most of all, we must be true to ourselves. For each thread is unique. Each thread has its own story to tell.

So let us be good weavers. Let us tend to our work with care and attention. And let us watch as the tapestry comes together under our hands."

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mzuri posted:

Bing! pretending to be Pat is a better writer than Pat pretending to work.
This blows in all the right ways.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Can Bing break that forum post up into three parts?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

tor posted:

Patrick Rothfuss returns to the Kingkiller Chronicle universe with a reimagining of the stand-alone story “The Lightning Tree.” Expanded to twice its previous length and illustrated by Nate Taylor, The Narrow Road Between Desires publishes November 14, 2023 with DAW Books. We’re thrilled to share the cover below!

Bast knows how to bargain. The give-and-take of a negotiation is as familiar to him as the in-and-out of breathing; to watch him trade is to watch an artist at work. But even a master’s brush can slip. When he accepts a gift, taking something for nothing, Bast’s whole world is knocked askew, for he knows how to bargain—but not how to owe.

From dawn to midnight over the course of a single day, follow the Kingkiller Chronicle’s most charming fae as he schemes and sneaks, dancing into trouble and back out again with uncanny grace.

The Narrow Road Between Desires is Bast’s story. In it he traces the old ways of making and breaking, following his heart even when doing so goes against his better judgement.

After all, what good is caution if it keeps him from danger and delight?

So he has re-written some nothing short story? What on earth?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What is "returns to the Kingkiller Chronicle universe" supposed to mean? Returns from where exactly?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
He must have gotten some very strongly worded emails from his publisher about the status of his third book.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

eXXon posted:

What is "returns to the Kingkiller Chronicle universe" supposed to mean? Returns from where exactly?

Returns from his busy schedule of not writing and committing charitable fraud?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’ve read that story in the Rogues anthology. It’s fairly entertaining on its face but there’s also a lot of insufferable stuff or things you get really annoyed about when you think about it for a few minutes afterwards.

Taking that story and making it less concise for more profit is such an amazing Rothfussian scam

Ccs fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 10, 2023

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Ccs posted:

It’s fairly entertaining on its face but there’s also a lot of insufferable stuff or things you get really annoyed about when you think about it for a few minutes afterwards.

That concisely sums up R’s entire oeuvre, thank you.

RichestManInTown
May 1, 2004

People I meet keep getting torn into pieces.
What are the odds the “expanded” story is just the original manuscript before the editors pared it down to fit in the anthology?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

RichestManInTown posted:

What are the odds the “expanded” story is just the original manuscript before the editors pared it down to fit in the anthology?

Any other explanation would require that he did some writing in the past decade, so...

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I never read A Slow Regard because I just didn't find Auri interesting as a character. For those of you brave enough to read it, is it worth diving into?

We're a little over a month away from the release of his new novella. I'm hoping it's halfway decent but I'm not holding my breath.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's about as good as everything else rothfuss wrote, which means it's trash. and if he actually writes and releases something else, it will be trash.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

I never read A Slow Regard because I just didn't find Auri interesting as a character. For those of you brave enough to read it, is it worth diving into?

We're a little over a month away from the release of his new novella. I'm hoping it's halfway decent but I'm not holding my breath.

'New' novella, if I remember correctly it is just one of his already released short-stories with some stuff added.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Hughmoris posted:

A Slow Regard is the most self-indulgent tripe I've ever read.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hughmoris posted:

IIRC, Rothfuss preemptively defended that book with some "if you don't think this is good it's clearly not for you :smuggo:" commentary so...

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Evil Fluffy posted:

IIRC, Rothfuss preemptively defended that book with some "if you don't think this is good it's clearly not for you :smuggo:" commentary so...

The preface or forward of the book is Rothfuss smugly telling the reader that maybe you just won't "get it" in which case it's "not for you".

The book itself consists almost entirely of Auri wandering around in some tunnels while the narration attaches random emotions, mad libs-style, to random objects. So I would recommend the book if and only if you're really eager for a hundred pages of

not a real quote posted:

Auri stepped through the penitent doorway, into the chamber beyond. Having walked these corridors a hundred times before, she knew how to navigate even in the brazen darkness. Reaching out her left arm, she grasped hold of the tumultuous pipe jutting out of the wall. Running her fingers along the pipe, she allowed its winding path to lead her through the gregarious chamber, guided by the pipe's twists and turns until it made an abrupt turn straight upward and ascended through a thoughtful hole in the ceiling. Having expected this, Auri released the pipe and strode straight ahead, knowing she would soon reach the canny portcullis that would lead her to the jubilant basement of the smug refinery. The refinery was very smug, permeated with a kind of smugness that oozed smugly from its very smugitude, but Auri was used to its smugness and accustomed to appeasing it.
also the book implies that Auri is all quirky pixie dream girl because she was raped and it broke her mind, thanks rothfuss

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

also the book implies that Auri is all quirky pixie dream girl because she was raped and it broke her mind, thanks rothfuss

I'd forgotten this part. Truly, Rothfuss is every bit the Joss Whedon acolyte and feminist he claims to be.

Cranachan
Jun 29, 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YWywiThKEM

Something resembling an update for the chapter pledged for charity, inasmuch that Rothfuss kens folk are frustrated at not getting it, and can't bring himself to either ask the favours to make it an all-singing-all-dancing chapter release nor release it without making it all-singing-all-dancing.

To summarise; no real update.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cranachan posted:

Something resembling an update for the chapter pledged for charity, inasmuch that Rothfuss kens folk are frustrated at not getting it, and can't bring himself to either ask the favours to make it an all-singing-all-dancing chapter release nor release it without making it all-singing-all-dancing.

Every single response to anything he says needs to just have a reply of that tweet of what he claimed was the book 3 draft in its entirety, back in 2014 I think?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Cranachan posted:

Luv 2 commit (more) charity fraud and act like a shithead while continuing to have no intention of ever delivering.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It's amazing.. he just has to send out a 3 minute message once a year crying about how hard life is and all is good.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Barreft posted:

It's amazing.. he just has to send out a 3 minute message once a year crying about how hard life is and all is good.

Write the book Fatrick!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Cranachan posted:

He never seems to get that its not really about entitlement or lack of empathy for mental illness.

It the lying, Pat. Its the lying people are mad about. People are mad that you lied about the book being done and you lied about the chapter being released etc.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Dienes posted:

He never seems to get that its not really about entitlement or lack of empathy for mental illness.

It the lying, Pat. Its the lying people are mad about. People are mad that you lied about the book being done and you lied about the chapter being released etc.

I'm pretty sure he gets it, just like GRRM. You just can't say you aren't doing any work and you're golden. Tesla/Star Citizen etc model.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Authors can go a really long time between releases, usually by applying for grants or fellowships.

He's probably just got enough income streams that he is at zero risk of any money issues, plus he can always raise the rent on the building he owns that Worldbuilders operates out of.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I saw a person on facebook in the wild saying that book 3 is done and it's the publishers holding it back. Then they posted another reply saying "here you go, next book in november" and it's the novella (which is a re-release).

So.. Patrick knows his audience (blithering morons)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

Write the book Fatrick!

why

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Barreft posted:

I'm pretty sure he gets it, just like GRRM. You just can't say you aren't doing any work and you're golden. Tesla/Star Citizen etc model.

Of all of those, at least Tesla actually releases new products. They're overhyped at best or borderline criminal-grade garbage like the cybertruck, but they exist. Which is more than can be said for Doors of Stone or Winds of Winter.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
I honestly feel bad for Rothfuss sometimes. I mean, he's got a huge following of fans, a ton of people eagerly waiting for the third book (and if they're still fans after the second book, it's not like they have discerning taste), and he could (I assume) make some good money not to mention no longer being the butt of every single joke about late/delayed/nonexistent sequels. He has every reason to write the book and no reason not to. The fact that he can't even bring himself to write a single loving chapter for charity suggests he's got some very deep issues and could probably use some help to work through them, which I hope he gets someday.

Then I read about him behaving like a sleaze at conventions, or consider his constant lies to his fans, and think "Nah, actually gently caress this guy."

mewse
May 2, 2006

StonecutterJoe posted:

I honestly feel bad for Rothfuss sometimes. I mean, he's got a huge following of fans, a ton of people eagerly waiting for the third book (and if they're still fans after the second book, it's not like they have discerning taste), and he could (I assume) make some good money not to mention no longer being the butt of every single joke about late/delayed/nonexistent sequels. He has every reason to write the book and no reason not to. The fact that he can't even bring himself to write a single loving chapter for charity suggests he's got some very deep issues and could probably use some help to work through them, which I hope he gets someday.

Then I read about him behaving like a sleaze at conventions, or consider his constant lies to his fans, and think "Nah, actually gently caress this guy."

Yes he sounds so reasonable in the video before you remember he's grifting

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Rothfuss hopped on GoodReads to plug his book and is very butthurt he didn't log in to a bunch of 5-star reviews.

Rothfuss posted:

Imagine my delight, logging into Goodreads after I don't even know how long. At least a year, maybe two?

Some things are still the same, the general look of the website. The fact that I have over thousands of friend requests. There are 10922 to be exact, which seems high-ish? Back in the day, I used to add everyone who sent a request, but I think they capped things at 5000, so they've just been piling up ever since.

I was coming here to post a review of Narrow Road. Well... not a review, exactly. Very few of the reviews I've ever posted on here are *actual* reviews. As I'm sure you know if you're following this account, I usually just tell a story about my experience of the book, or talk about how I felt about it. Or talk about what I liked...

I wasn't actually sure I'd be able to post a review, as the book won't be published for another couple days. I remember they used to keep anyone from posting reviews before the books were actually published, for blindingly obvious reasons.

Even so, I thought I'd give it a try. I used to be one of the top 10 reviewers on here, so I thought that might give me some inside angle. If nothing else, I figured the fact that I'm a verified author on here, and that it's *my* book might give me at least even odds.

(I just checked, and It turns out I still am in the top 10, though just barely. Depending on which list you look at:

https://www.goodreads.com/user/best_reviewers?country=US&duration=a

To be clear, it's not because I'm a good book reviewer [as I've already said]. It's that I wrote a couple funny reviews back in the day that people liked a lot.)

Anyway, what *I wasn't* expecting was 200+ reviews for the book already posted. An the overall rating is listed as 2 stars. Because of course.

I shouldn't be surprised, but I was. I shouldn't be bothered, but I am. Just a bit. So I'm writing this instead, just to get it off my chest and move on with my night.

If you're curious about the story I *was* going to share, you can find it on my blog over here:

https://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/

(I can't figure out how to hotlink it here. But I'm sure you know how to cut and paste.)

There's other announcements over there too. And stories. And some promotional videos that I ruined. If any of that sounds good to you... well... I'm guessing you know what to do...

See you later space cowboys...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I love how he makes it clear that even his book reviews are ultimately more about himself than the book he read.