Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ILL Machina posted:

Can't you point to Germany and South America in their reckoning with the Holocaust and apartheid in terms of how the state can try to influence the individuals? They had truth and reconciliation committees, required factual education, that sort of thing. We're actively doing the opposite atm.

I didn't know any South American nations had done that and never even thought of Germany despite having known about that, but yeah, good point. I suppose it just requires extraordinary circumstances to push governments to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

tsob posted:

I didn't know any South American nations had done that and never even thought of Germany despite having known about that, but yeah, good point. I suppose it just requires extraordinary circumstances to push governments to do so.

Functioning parliamentary democracy doesn't hurt either. Not to say my nation's Parliament is functioning but it's not the clown show cooked up before the age of electricity that is :911:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

tsob posted:

My bad I meant South Africa

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I mean, I wasn't aware of it in South Africa either so that's still news to me and interesting to know about. Might be something worth looking up later, but it does make me wonder why South Africa specifically did that since they weren't a central nation in WW2. Still, that'd be the point of looking that info up. Thanks for the correction regardless.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Not for world war 2, South Africa had their own separate sins to atone for.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

tsob posted:

I mean, I wasn't aware of it in South Africa either so that's still news to me and interesting to know about. Might be something worth looking up later, but it does make me wonder why South Africa specifically did that since they weren't a central nation in WW2. Still, that'd be the point of looking that info up. Thanks for the correction regardless.

It wasn't for the Holocaust, it was for apartheid. Def worth a wiki scan.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apartheid
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_and_Reconciliation_Commission_(South_Africa)

Efb

There are lots of legit criticisms of the TRC approach vs Nuremberg-like trials, but the ultimate goal is to acknowledge awful historical truths and consider reparations and amnesty requests. This was like 5 years after the apartheid govt was ousted, so the timeliness is a factor.

In the US, we refuse to believe it's possible to discuss these things officially because it might compromise our Exceptionslism. I think folks are just hoping to wait a few more centuries for people to forget it...despite our atrocities being a essential part of our foundation.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 8, 2023

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ILL Machina posted:

It wasn't for the Holocaust, it was for apartheid. Def worth a wiki scan.

Oh right, duh. I skipped over the "and apartheid" part of your post for some reason. That makes way more sense. As to the US, I'm not actually American for clarification, so it's not US exceptionalism that makes me doubt it's possible (or likely at least, since you've given some good examples) and just cynical, I guess? I don't think there's anything that awful in Ireland's history, though the Troubles are certainly proving a headache; especially in light of Brexit flaring tensions again in the North. That said, there could definitely be some national conversation around the Traveler community, and treatment of refugees; there's high public support for refugees in polling and stuff, but then when refugees get here a lot of them are stuck in dogshit accommodation, often for years on end, not allowed to work or make a life for themselves etc. And lately many don't even get accommodation due to a mixture of the housing crisis and rising refugee numbers. Instead they end up living rough for months on end. Which isn't helped by anti-refugee protests and anti-refugee sentiment becoming a thing. Or more of a visible thing, probably.

That said, I do think Ireland could use a national conversation on neutrality, since while the country has always been officially neutral since the state was formed, it was originally neutral mostly so that we could support the Allies without directly allying with Britain, we didn't join NATO simply because NATO refused our membership when politicians tried to leverage the request in order to regain the 6 counties in the North from Britain (since the Irish politicians of the time vastly over-estimated the value of Ireland as a strategic location at the time) and there's no official stance in any kind of charter on what neutrality means or is to the state. There's been citizen's assemblies followed by referendums on marriage equality and abortion in the last few years, but neutrality seems like it could use similar treatment to define what it is. Which may not be as dire or pressing as something like slavery, reparations etc. but is probably about as big a thing as Ireland has, alongside things like refugee treatment or the history of the Traveler community.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

At the moment, whenever I hear Alex Jones, I imagine him as Dr. Robotnik/Eggman. Just imagine how much more interesting the games would be if you chased the DeathEgg while Robotnik was droning on about demons and sodomites

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Marsupial Ape posted:

When I was a kid, they’d do a “very special episode” of a popular sitcom dealing with a current social issue.

If it weren’t for Punky Brewster, America would never have come to grips with the pervasive and institutionalized hazard of abandoned refrigerators.

I'm pretty sure America came to grips with it back in 1956 when The Refrigerator Safety Act was passed which ended the manufature of fridges with latching doors...

But a generation of kids learning CPR from Punky Brewster was not problematic at all.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

rich thick and creamy posted:

I'm pretty sure America came to grips with it back in 1956 when The Refrigerator Safety Act was passed which ended the manufature of fridges with latching doors...

But a generation of kids learning CPR from Punky Brewster was not problematic at all.

I keep forgetting goons can’t discern humor as much as they can’t watch TV, so this is my fault, not yours.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I enjoyed Alex saying Piggly Wiggly a bunch.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I loved those Alex Jones cover songs and remixes. Unfortunately, I think like Dan alluded too, I eventually figured out that they did generate a whole bunch of positive attention for Infowars, including people singing those songs unironically. That soured me a bit on the concept.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So how does a AIDS denialist get to help write aids policy for a whole rear end country?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Grand Fromage posted:

I enjoyed Alex saying Piggly Wiggly a bunch.

my exact thoughts. what a delight.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Lord Stimperor posted:

I loved those Alex Jones cover songs and remixes. Unfortunately, I think like Dan alluded too, I eventually figured out that they did generate a whole bunch of positive attention for Infowars, including people singing those songs unironically. That soured me a bit on the concept.

Clearly we need to have underground, black market Alex Jones parody songs.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

BigRed0427 posted:

So how does a AIDS denialist get to help write aids policy for a whole rear end country?

If it's referencing the people in charge during the Reagan era there was not-at-all concealed celebration about people dying of "the gay disease". Outright public support of "oh well they deserve it any way." In that environment the people writing policy were happy to let it happen. They didn't have to get their hands dirty with actual murders, they just filed paperwork to let it happen.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
At what point did the podcast take a turn from Dan inviting Jordan over to listen to the crazy fucker who declared "...it's time to pray" into a deep examination of how Alex spreads misinformation for profit? When I started the podcast I listened to one of two of the latest episodes, then jumped back and listened to the first two or three along with some of the recommendations in the OP before finding an episode that seemed to be the start of Alex's reaction to Biden winning and just went from there, and am still catching up; I'll almost certainly go back and listen to it all eventually, but I'm curious if it took 10 episodes or 100 for them to transition to the realization that this was basically a job for them now as they pulled apart Alex's methodoly.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I imagine that it was pretty gradual, although it is weird to hear an old episode where Dan's selling blood plasma to make ends meet when you know where they are now. There's probably 2 big standouts when they did deep dive investigations into the past covering batches of episodes.

They went back and covered Alex's coverage of Sandy Hook with the goal of finding the point when he first said it was a hoax and they did a long series to catch the moment when Alex decided to support Trump. The Sandy Hook series was naturally much more serious than the 2016 election one, but they were both big moments of digging in and researching Alex with a goal in mind.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'd like to see them do another batch of episodes on one of Alex's lovely documentaries.

Those are always a good time

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

probably when Dan started covering Alex's documentaries like Endgame and getting into the history of the Birch Society, which Alex is just the latest propoganda piece for

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Tree Dude posted:

I'd like to see them do another batch of episodes on one of Alex's lovely documentaries.

Those are always a good time

Dan has repeatedly said there just aren't any documentaries left. Once social media became a thing, he started chasing algorithm engagement more than making bootleggable DVDs. The more Facebook became a thing, and the more turbulent Alex's relationship got with his only competent video editor, the less documentaries happened.

Rob Jacobson's deposition in the CT trial stated that theer are a few unreleased documentaries that Alex sat on, though considering at least one of them was "Sandy Hook Denialism: The Movie", perhaps we were better off without.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
MAD MAX TOE CUTTER SCENE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNwVph-QONU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
As a massive fan of the Insidious franchise I felt personally attacked by hearing that neither Dan nor Jordan have seen any of them

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Alex getting more and more frustrated with his staff with his demands to find videos will never not be funny.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So is Alex doing rails of coke or does he stick to adderal like a good white collar criminal? Just curious what he's on because hoooooooly poo poo is he whacked out on something.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
It was curious to me, because while he was clearly under the influence of something, it was also the first time he was under the influence consistently throughout the entire show. ... beforehand, the effects of his drug-taking usually manifest in more temporary and sudden ways.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

bird food bathtub posted:

So is Alex doing rails of coke or does he stick to adderal like a good white collar criminal? Just curious what he's on because hoooooooly poo poo is he whacked out on something.

I think he's either on "real" drugs (coke) or he takes way too many of his supplements or both.

There have definitely been times where he's been lower energy then went to the break and come back hopped up on something.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

"I don't pay attention to Hollywood" was amazing. Possibly Alex's biggest lie ever.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm listening to the episodes in the week or so after the Texas trial at the moment, the two parter after Dan and Jordan get home specifically and I'm just curious if Jones ever did get any kind of consequences for essentially defaming the plaintiffs and the judge? Also if there's an existing precedent for repeated breaches of civil law in a specific fashion to become criminally tried?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

tsob posted:

I'm listening to the episodes in the week or so after the Texas trial at the moment, the two parter after Dan and Jordan get home specifically and I'm just curious if Jones ever did get any kind of consequences for essentially defaming the plaintiffs and the judge? Also if there's an existing precedent for repeated breaches of civil law in a specific fashion to become criminally tried?

I think it's fair to say bankston and massey bringing up Alex's broadcasts and pubic statements during the trial were crucial to the juries assigning so much in damages, it was clear he wasn't contrite and needed to be slapped hard.

And yeah because of the judgements he is open to being sued for continuing to say that poo poo. He has to couch his accusations in fuzzy language and has responded to C&Ds and demands for retractions/apologies that have been sent his way in legalease that he tends to instantly invalidate.

Getting sued again will gently caress him even harder, but, to Jordan's eternal point, Alex hasn't felt the full effect of his bankruptcies and liability yet. He has to keep doing the show and selling his supplements to pay for his debts to society, but I think most of us would rather he just be squelched. At least he can't really make a profit under his name or infowars anymore, but he's trying his darnedest to side step the judgements.

Edit: oh your question was whether this could escalate to criminality. I don't know how that works exactly, but he is bound by law to stop defaming the plaintiffs and can easily be brought back in for a quick trial if he doesn't.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 13, 2023

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

ILL Machina posted:

I think it's fair to say bankston and massey bringing up Alex's broadcasts and pubic statements

Tee hee

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

?

Oh lol. It stays in

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 13, 2023

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I watched a recent video featuring youtuber lawyer Legal Eagle answering law questions and one of them made me think of Alex.

Question: If I threaten my judge with death in the courtroom, aren't they now prejudiced against me and must be replaced?

Answer: This is a great example of the difference between prejudice and undue prejudice. Courts are designed to prevent outside influence unfairly prejudicing the judge, the jury or anyone else. But what happens inside the courtroom is pretty much fair game. Don't threaten judges!

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Tree Dude posted:

I think he's either on "real" drugs (coke) or he takes way too many of his supplements or both.

There have definitely been times where he's been lower energy then went to the break and come back hopped up on something.

While Alex did take his own supplements on camera once, the observable effect of it was... different. Not this, whatever it is.

Then again, Alex's business model is such that if he could sell his listeners addictive drugs, he most certainly would.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Well that's lame. The dude dies because he took his eyes off the road.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Dan mentioned Charlie Sheen having a bit of a rant on Alex's show at one point in an episode I listened to, and searching for the episode covering that prompted me to listen to a few older episodes, including Alex's interview with David Duke and Dan's breakdown of the similarities between Alex's stated beliefs and The Protocols of the Elders of Zion and I'm a bit confused now; is Alex consciously using the idea of the Globalists as a smokescreen, or does he genuinely believe in them as well as just being anti-Semitic in general?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

tsob posted:

is Alex consciously using the idea of the Globalists as a smokescreen, or does he genuinely believe in them as well as just being anti-Semitic in general?

Yes.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Alex has literally had globalists hiss at him in hot tubs.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

tsob posted:

Dan mentioned Charlie Sheen having a bit of a rant on Alex's show at one point in an episode I listened to, and searching for the episode covering that prompted me to listen to a few older episodes, including Alex's interview with David Duke and Dan's breakdown of the similarities between Alex's stated beliefs and The Protocols of the Elders of Zion and I'm a bit confused now; is Alex consciously using the idea of the Globalists as a smokescreen, or does he genuinely believe in them as well as just being anti-Semitic in general?

You got an episode number for the latter to hand? I wouldn’t turn down relistening to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Alex was raised in a stew of blatant and crypto antisemitic poo poo from his Bircher dad, which forms how he views the world since he has never examined it and never will,, and is now insane + abusing various drugs + will say or do whatever gets him money. It's a mistake to focus on trying to figure out what his beliefs are because he has none that matter, he simply exists in the form that is best for the grift right now.

The deposition with his dad was a good eye opener for that. Dude believes all the same awful horseshit as Alex, but isn't crazy and thus comes across very differently.