Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Ok, i figured out from the comments what happened. Roman is now the longest reigning champion of the WrestleMania Era. Since Hogan's mega-reign started before Mania 1, the fact twitter just chopped off the first 14 months of the reign and compared THAT to Roman. Very WWE kind of facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I actually find WWE easier and in a way "more fun" to watch than AEW, or NJPW when I watch that, or ROH. It's "more fun" because I don't care about it. I don't care if I miss an episode, especially as I know they'll tell me all the stuff I missed (over and over.) I don't really have to pay attention to anything if it doesn't catch my interest, and I'm not worried I'll miss out on something important if I'm not paying attention. I can have it on in the background and it's low effort and stupid enough that I could pick up most stuff while concentrating on something else. And I think WWE, in the back of their minds, know this is how a lot of people watch. They're watching while on their phone or painting their nails, and not really paying attention. And for That DICK!'s point about bits making them mad even as background viewing, that's fair. For me I just tune out. I just think for many people it's a very low engagement, low care show. And that actually makes it attractive to watch.

It's why the weird WWE stans are so weird. WWE isn't really trying to hold your attention, it's just trying to be part of your viewing habits as a low effort, no energy needed show after you're exhausted from work (or for me when I can't sleep at 1am.) The problem is this means it's also the perfect level of challenging for morons. Morons who do pay attention and consider it "Oscar worthy" because they're morons.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

Ok, i figured out from the comments what happened. Roman is now the longest reigning champion of the WrestleMania Era. Since Hogan's mega-reign started before Mania 1, the fact twitter just chopped off the first 14 months of the reign and compared THAT to Roman. Very WWE kind of facts.

Nice "A Penn Stater has appeared in every Super Bowl" tier stat massaging.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
did that roman reigns promo literally last around forty minutes?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

MorningMoon posted:

I dunno how much was THE TRIAL and how much was fighting, and also how long the challenge at the end was but pretty much.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MorningMoon posted:

It would not be the first time

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Id love to see the quarterlies as we drop into Q3 of Roman talking.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
And people think it had to be Vince and couldn't have been Paul that put this guy over Cody. :lol:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

you can see for yourself how long the promo went:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40wkJJXfwQ0

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Cody Rhodes

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

That DICK! posted:

you can see for yourself how long the promo went:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40wkJJXfwQ0

I'm good

EDIT: Watching WWE feels longer than this

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That DICK! posted:

Im Aragorn

e: you guys can call whoever else you want, but I'm Aragorn.

Son of Arathorn?!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That DICK! posted:

When I first started to reach my wits end with wwe bs (gosh must be aught near 5-6 years now) I had fully moved into watching it “in the background” while I made dinner or did laundry or played video game. But for every 1 cool or surprising thing I’d happen to catch there were 15 things that made me mad. Wasnt even worth it as filler

For sure. You're time would be better spent using MST3K or Bob Ross' twitch channels for background.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Shard posted:

For sure. You're time would be better spent using MST3K or Bob Ross' twitch channels for background.

my man

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Somebody once told me Tony was gonna blow me
And the Elite would all poo poo the bed
Kenny looking like a clog got bitten for a dog
Mox will bleed out all the way till he's dead

Well the rating's dropping and it don't stop dropping
The numbers in freefall your promotion is flopping
Booking's nonsense there's no sense of fun
Just for the smarks that is really dumb
Too much to learn, the history
So where's all the vid recaps for me?
I'll never know, won't have a go
I'll never try watching the show

But wow, you got five stars, Omega and Ospreay
But wow, though you're not stars, you're getting buy rates
Time to work up North instead
Only real stars in the Fed

It's a cold world but Eddie doesn't matter
He's bundled up now, but still he gets fatter
Here's the Young Bucks, time for another botch
Judging by the time, you could set your watch
Are they really pushing the Dark Order?
Nothing on Earth could make us more boreder
It's a trashfire, a poo poo parade
That's the way I like it, drinking Hayterade

Only real stars

Somebody once asked is Maxwell on the for gas?
He needs to get himself out of this place
He'll say, "Yup", bidding war
The biggest thing in twenty twenty four
You can have Cody back in exchange

Well the rating's dropping and it don't stop dropping
The numbers in freefall your promotion is flopping
Booking's nonsense there's no sense of fun
Just for the smarks that is really dumb
Too much to learn, the history
So where's all the vid recaps for me?
I'll never know, won't have a go
I'll never try watching the show

The fact that you have to work out how it actually fits with the tune makes this perfect. Five stars. Thank you.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Shard posted:

Unsolved Mysteries is the perfect background show just for the music alone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnOeIFx3ML8

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WWE is more fun when you only watch the PPVs, which given the weekly shows exist to generate clips for the PPVs is all you need

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

projecthalaxy posted:

Id love to see the quarterlies as we drop into Q3 of Roman talking.

Q2 had a huge spike (25% in the demo), Q3 dropped. This doesn't necessarily mean people tuned out because the segment was running long, it could mean they just turned off the TV as soon as the Roman stuff was done.

Q8, when Roman came out the second time for the show closing angle, had basically no change from the previous quarter.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Namtab posted:

WWE is more fun when you only watch the PPVs, which given the weekly shows exist to generate clips for the PPVs is all you need

I'm not paying $60 per year or spending time pirating to watch WWE

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

I'm not paying $60 per year or spending time pirating to watch WWE

OK :)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shard posted:

MST3k is one of those shows that I actually feel like I need to pay super close attention to and not do anything else because otherwise I might miss a good joke. Even if I've seen the episode dozens of times before.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

wwe doesnt do ppvs. they do ples

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

MST3k is one of those shows that I actually feel like I need to pay super close attention to and not do anything else because otherwise I might miss a good joke. Even if I've seen the episode dozens of times before.

Thats wild to me. I have watched the sci fi episodes probably thousands of times because I use to play games on my computer while a vhs tape I recorded just played on repeat. And I would go to sleep with it in the background.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Shard posted:

Thats wild to me. I have watched the sci fi episodes probably thousands of times because I use to play games on my computer while a vhs tape I recorded just played on repeat. And I would go to sleep with it in the background.

I usually have MST3K episodes on in the background when I'm doing hobby stuff like painting miniatures or post-processing a 3D print. It's familiar enough that I won't miss anything, but even so a joke will catch me and make me chuckle, even if I've heard it thousands of times before.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Mrenda posted:

I actually find WWE easier and in a way "more fun" to watch than AEW, or NJPW when I watch that, or ROH. It's "more fun" because I don't care about it. I don't care if I miss an episode, especially as I know they'll tell me all the stuff I missed (over and over.) I don't really have to pay attention to anything if it doesn't catch my interest, and I'm not worried I'll miss out on something important if I'm not paying attention. I can have it on in the background and it's low effort and stupid enough that I could pick up most stuff while concentrating on something else. And I think WWE, in the back of their minds, know this is how a lot of people watch. They're watching while on their phone or painting their nails, and not really paying attention. And for That DICK!'s point about bits making them mad even as background viewing, that's fair. For me I just tune out. I just think for many people it's a very low engagement, low care show. And that actually makes it attractive to watch.

It's why the weird WWE stans are so weird. WWE isn't really trying to hold your attention, it's just trying to be part of your viewing habits as a low effort, no energy needed show after you're exhausted from work (or for me when I can't sleep at 1am.) The problem is this means it's also the perfect level of challenging for morons. Morons who do pay attention and consider it "Oscar worthy" because they're morons.

I basically have no expectations for WWE, so I mostly watch the way you do.

AEW I have much higher expectations for so I'm more critical

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Ringo Roadagain posted:

wwe doesnt do ppvs. they do ples

Yeah as in 'ples turn it off' lmao

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

the sex ghost posted:

:lol:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

the sex ghost posted:

looolll

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dick Swiveller posted:

The only redeeming feature is that we get to come on here and laugh at it, or treat it like some curio in the back of an antiques shop from the far future, a dim orb through which we can observe the central lessons of the 21st Century: the powerful will never suffer meaningful consequences, capital has hollowed out the things that you once loved in the name of machinic profit systems, and the only way to tolerate the state of the world is through some combination of idiocy and insanity.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

the sex ghost posted:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Please stop making fun of the WWE, they’re just a small indie company and I’ll have no one besmirch their good name. In fact I think we should all stand up for the WWE.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

the sex ghost posted:

lol

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

the sex ghost posted:

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Surprised by how high WWE’s demo is. Bloodline is over and Cody has a lot of young fans too.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

WWE's demo is high, in that they're zonked out of their gourds and can't change the channel

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'd like to see roman take some time off and vacate the title so he can come back and immediately have it again and claim he never lost it, the streak continues two more years

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Is the 18-49 demo in dog or human years

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

jackofarcades posted:

I basically have no expectations for WWE, so I mostly watch the way you do.

AEW I have much higher expectations for so I'm more critical

I honestly think one of the reasons for WWE’s current popularity is that their most critical fans all quit watching and the remaining ones created an echo chamber of positivity towards the product and attracted new fans as a result.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I honestly think one of the reasons for WWE’s current popularity is that their most critical fans all quit watching and the remaining ones created an echo chamber of positivity towards the product and attracted new fans as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1678512909075226625?t=NW7rrRrda0i2Send2oyg9g&s=19

wwe could not have chosen a better time to be on absolute fire than during this contract renewal season. These numbers they're getting is insane in 2023