Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

ProperGanderPusher posted:

They also add a wide lens to make them look bigger. And don’t forget the classics such as “paint over rot” and “hide wall cracks behind furniture and pictures and hope the inspectors miss them”.

load-bearing staging furniture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Crusty Nutsack posted:

this is an abandoned house that's gutted inside and they still added the "glowing windows and sunset sky" filter

P. Sure pennywise lives here

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It's probably High Dynamic Range photography. Take multiple pictures at different exposures at the same spot and then merge them. Smart devices started to support it as a basic setting a few years ago, so listing agents just need to know the One Weird Trick and there you go.

I think you can even get that dusk window reflection from it, but there has to be lights on inside.

yeah its this

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

this is an abandoned house that's gutted inside and they still added the "glowing windows and sunset sky" filter

*realtor voice* sun soaked HELL HOLE

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

entry level as in the entry on on level

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1678477147420381185?s=20

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
thank god

housing is an investment

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just down the street

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1108-W-Mary-St-Austin-TX-78704/29472067_zpid/

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Lmao

quote:

Build your dream home or compound right in the heart of South Austin

My very own less than half acre compound

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
lol realtor told me that competition really stops for the area I’m looking in when homes hit over 1M. lovely

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
There are very inexpensive real estate markets in some regions of the county. Do you like winter?

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Dr. Frankenstein, harnessing the power of lightning, brings his creation to life.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1678567811038289920?s=20

lol at the framing

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I looked at condos cause we are both urbanists and what we could afford mortgage wise also would have $500-1k HOA fees tacked on top of the 6% rate mortgage cause no one maintained them over the years.

At least if we get a house with a garage we could get & store an electric cargo bike for “truck” runs to the hardware store. Out biggest cost will be retro fitting cold air HVAC/mini splits cause you didn’t need a/c until the last 5-10 years in the PNW.

We are in that weird spot where renting is just barely affordable for us but buying is almost out of reach.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
wait a second what makes one an urbanism vs not one?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

anime was right posted:

we're selling my grandmas house and they have a filter that kicks up the brightness by like 5000 percent so rooms that arent well lit look like they have extremely natural lighting lol

its all false advertising now

When we called about the condo we're looking at for my partner's parents literally the first thing the realtor said to us was "it doesn't look anything like the pictures."

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

wait a second what makes one an urbanism vs not one?

we are those annoying fucks that don’t own a car for green and economical reasons.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
oh. even if you don't own any cars, having a garage and a driveway is super useful for all kinds of poo poo. Mostly for doing projects where you need ventilation but don't want to be inside stinking up your house with paint/varnish/whatever sealant you're working with.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
oh ya I do pottery and would love to own my own kiln. landlords don’t like things that heat up to 1200C and release gasses

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
My condo has a little detached garage and it rules. My buddy bought a house and the garage it has is like the same size as the living space. That’s too much garage in my opinion but it is incredible project space.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
HOAs are poo poo and after a decade in a condo I’ll never give them a dime again

Yeah let me light a ton of non-deductible money on fire for a bunch of busybody boomers to gently caress everything up, sounds rad

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/YahooFinance/status/1678534796220198912?s=20

:lol:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Good

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Florida is pricing in their future a bit too slowly. I hope Aquaman has enough running liquid capital to buy up all those homes.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

the 2nd chance state still gonna be that regardless since people won’t know until it’s too late.

trying to declutter a house with a kid to get it ready for staging is a pain. we only buy craft stuff for our kid so the house is a mini art gallery lol and all of our paid paper bills take up the rest. I wish I just had to time to scan everything.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Isn't Austin so ridiculously hot and humid in the summer to the point where you have to stay inside where there's air conditioning?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

sonatinas posted:

the 2nd chance state still gonna be that regardless since people won’t know until it’s too late.

trying to declutter a house with a kid to get it ready for staging is a pain. we only buy craft stuff for our kid so the house is a mini art gallery lol and all of our paid paper bills take up the rest. I wish I just had to time to scan everything.

I don't know why they call Florida that. Even now, in TYOOL 2023 it's unbearably hot for the best months of the year; you can't even swim in the hot tub of a gulf or enjoy your backyard as the humidity dominates every decision-tree. Plus the whole, "not-habitable" thing in 20 years.

It can take several weekends to decide on what to keep and what to take...have you considered just shoving all the papers into a box and handling it when you finish moving in x weeks? One of the small benefits of selling now is that time is typically on your side (unless your situation is atypical).

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

A Bad King posted:

I don't know why they call Florida that. Even now, in TYOOL 2023 it's unbearably hot for the best months of the year; you can't even swim in the hot tub of a gulf or enjoy your backyard as the humidity dominates every decision-tree. Plus the whole, "not-habitable" thing in 20 years.

I find it extremely funny that I know two people whose parents retired to Florida, hated it, couldn't afford to move back to the northeast, and basically spent the next decade or so trying to trick all their friends to join them because they were so miserable.

Snow hatred really poisons your brain.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Beached Whale posted:

Isn't Austin so ridiculously hot and humid in the summer to the point where you have to stay inside where there's air conditioning?

imo it is unbearable July-August but the weather is good for the rest of the year except for the 3-5 days of real winter per year. (unbearable to me are relentless stretches of dew points above 70 or lows above 75)

I keep my thermostat set to 80 though 24/7 and exercise outside daily, I may be poisoned.

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 15:27 on Jul 11, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao 40% of Americans would instantly die in an 80 degree house

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

A Bad King posted:

It can take several weekends to decide on what to keep and what to take...have you considered just shoving all the papers into a box and handling it when you finish moving in x weeks? One of the small benefits of selling now is that time is typically on your side (unless your situation is atypical).

I am pretty much doing that now. I am throwing out a bunch of unneeded stuff though . but time is not on our side due to a ton of reasons, main one is before school year because it will be really hard on my kid if like 3 weeks into school year we move to new school/city/area.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

that’s right some were black during a time of redlining

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

euphronius posted:

yeah, i have some overweight/obese family members that need our house to be 68 when they visit. we keep it at about 75 which is too dang hot for some.

all my elderly family members though hate the cold and don’t bother visiting us during Michigan winters.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Beached Whale posted:

Yep, same goes for almost everywhere south of Mason-Dixon. You get up at like six to go for a run or mow your lawn or else you wait until 9 pm from May to late September.

In theory your AC costs are offset by a low COL but Austin has Bay Area prices on housing now so lmao.

ProperGanderPusher has issued a correction as of 15:38 on Jul 11, 2023

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

euphronius posted:

my grandparents had an old un-air conditioned house I’d go to in the summer. as long as you have a fan and aren’t expecting to be in a meat locker in a hot and humid place, it’s fine imo. but I’m also not obese and have been in Texas most of my life

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
If you turn on your AC for more than 14-15 days in total through a year barring 1-1000 yr heat dome events (every other year), you're a victim who rationalized living in an irrational hell. No one can convince me otherwise. It's socialized insanity to choose to live in a region that sees daily mean temperatures above 32C at any point in the year, unless your choice was made by family before we industrialized our extinction events. This is not a controversial opinion, even the vast majority of birds agree with me.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

If I could live in 60 degree weather year round I would be the happiest person on Earth, and I hate that I have the self awareness not to keep the thermostat below 70.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Paradoxish posted:

If I could live in 60 degree weather year round I would be the happiest person on Earth, and I hate that I have the self awareness not to keep the thermostat below 70.

Good news and bad news. Good news is much of the Bay Area has this climate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Paradoxish posted:

Eureka, CA is calling your name.