Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

wash bucket posted:

Have any of the major auto makers gone on record as to why they don't make these? The demand is clearly there.

(I understand they don't meet modern safety standards but surely they could make something close to this.)

Automakers, like anyone selling goods in this country, aren't motivated by number of sales or popularity with a large number of people. They're motivated by profit. If they can get the same profit selling a smaller number of luxury or "luxury" vehicles, it's more attractive. There's less capital outlay, fewer workers to pay, less risk from a low margin swinging red due to reasons, and less overhead in a dozen different ways. This is a vicious positive feedback cycle that compounds on itself until the hype dies or they eat too much bad press and collapse horribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
both safety and fuel efficiency laws are heavily influenced by car makers so using those laws as an excuse for the auto makers to not make minitrucks is very circular reasoning.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Automakers, like anyone selling goods in this country, aren't motivated by number of sales or popularity with a large number of people. They're motivated by profit. If they can get the same profit selling a smaller number of luxury or "luxury" vehicles, it's more attractive. There's less capital outlay, fewer workers to pay, less risk from a low margin swinging red due to reasons, and less overhead in a dozen different ways. This is a vicious positive feedback cycle that compounds on itself until the hype dies or they eat too much bad press and collapse horribly.

it's absolutely this. my making the laws so that basically only "luxury" trucks satisfy them, it prevents competition from making something that consumers would chose instead which would hurt their profits.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I feel like there are a lot of things that people would say are conspiracy theories but are in reality just the clear and obvious result of capitalism and are absolutely happening.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Stereotype posted:

I feel like there are a lot of things that people would say are conspiracy theories but are in reality just the clear and obvious result of capitalism and are absolutely happening.

:nsa:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Vox Nihili posted:

Have you heard of birth control?

Malthusian

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I mean ford stopped making cars and admitted they were profitable, just that trucks were more profitable so theyre gonna do that

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

wash bucket posted:

Have any of the major auto makers gone on record as to why they don't make these?

the premium consumer remains healthy

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Looks like u gotta "take a deal" my man!!

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Vox Nihili posted:

econofreak: wage growth is slowing and jobs are getting harder to find! these are good things and mean we're headed towards a SOFT LANDING

https://twitter.com/JustinBloesch/status/1678468310860439565
love to analyze the financial (and thus physical/mental) well-being of actual human beings via spreadsheet beep boop i'm an economist

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RealityWarCriminal posted:

gfycat the .gif website is shutting down september 1st

Nice time to move in on the lucrative free image hosting industry

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willa Rogers posted:

Is there a law in your city against cis men sharing households?

my last roommate I expressly asked "are you cool with trans people" when screening him and three months later he's listening to psychotic Bible podcasts all day about how the police and church have been infiltrated by transgenders so those pedos are actually also evil transgenders

Sharing households with people you don't have an actual (to take my roommate's parlance) covenant with, of any kind, is hell

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i remember that pointing to images hosted on other sites was a big no-no prior to cheap hosting and people would do poo poo like have random poo poo show up in place of the image for external linking
what was the term for it

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

shrike82 posted:

i remember that pointing to images hosted on other sites was a big no-no prior to cheap hosting and people would do poo poo like have random poo poo show up in place of the image for external linking
what was the term for it

Image leeching?

Or do you mean a specific term for giving them the goatman?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

shrike82 posted:

what was the term for it

Hotlinking?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

right, leeching was the phrase i was trying to recall

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

shrike82 posted:

what was the term for it

image leeching. it used to be bannable here back when the forums had so much traffic that it would demolish small websites.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Stereotype posted:

i've started seeing tons of these around Honolulu. There's a guy who is importing them pretty constantly. There are definitely more of them than Teslas at this point. I also really want one.

Doesn't change the fact that you can't buy one new and can only loophole one through "classic car" laws because US automakers have ensured that laws forbid anything other than what they make maximum profits on

mercedes led the charge on getting that 25 year import rule passed because they were mad people could import new cars from certain countries for significantly less than they were selling them here

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

mercedes led the charge on getting that 25 year import rule passed because they were mad people could import new cars from certain countries for significantly less than they were selling them here

Oh. That's why there are no more grey market Benzes here right? You used to be able to get Euro-spec Mercedes cars with better looking bumpers and headlights (and maybe engines with less power-inhibiting emissions equipment) back in the 1980s.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I mean, did the moron keep doing it after it was clear it was a scam? :thunk: Also, is it both wire fraud/securities fraud and money laundering? :thunk:

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

wash bucket posted:

lol I've had bosses like that. "How can you be demotivated? I showed you the spreadsheets!"

my current boss's retention strategy is to get angry at people who are unhappy and want to leave, and then talk poo poo about them to remaining employees after they leave, and blame them for our problems

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

lol just remembered the insanely disastrous tony blinking visit to china as well that was embarrasing as hell for the US. Xi gave him high honours to meet him and then got pissed in the face next day by the US

Do you have that fantastic image from the Trump trade negotiations where the Western side is all geriatric boomers and silents, and the Chinese delegation is entirely sharp-looking 20- and 30-somethings?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Don't worry, there will always be used cars available. The rich will buy new cars and the used vehicles will trickle down to the rest of America.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

Do you have that fantastic image from the Trump trade negotiations where the Western side is all geriatric boomers and silents, and the Chinese delegation is entirely sharp-looking 20- and 30-somethings?

I dunno, this?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Don't worry, there will always be used cars available. The rich will buy new cars and the used vehicles will trickle down to the rest of America.

Used cars that aren’t 10+ year old heavily driven beaters cost like 80% of the price of buying new. There’s no sweet spot of price and mileage anymore.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Thoguh posted:

Used cars that aren’t 10+ year old heavily driven beaters cost like 80% of the price of buying new. There’s no sweet spot of price and mileage anymore.

Not to mention the tiny portion of rich buyers vs. the much larger portion of not-rich car needers.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

quote:

According to Edmunds, the average transaction price for new cars in May was $47,892, approaching an all-time high. The percentage of vehicles sold above $70,000 has risen from 3% to 10% over the past five years.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

I dunno, this?

Nah it was contrasting back when I Think it was England screwing China during the opium wars or something like that where all the Brits were young and the Chinese elders were tendril -bearded addled old men, and the modern-day version was a 180* of that where China was screwing the West in negotiations.

I'll try to find it when I'm home from work.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/11AliveNews/status/1647452270433300481?t=JKmwyvOjkwkSDh9nKRzFFg&s=19

https://twitter.com/dom_lucre/status/1678133165074817025?t=LO3UKKcIHm5Z0x7mOnpJ-w&s=19

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Folks, let’s not get too bullish on China. They’d don’t have sky high and underreported inflation like us. That means they’ll collapse any day now from a DEFLATIONARY SPIRAL!

https://www.interest.co.nz/economy/122920/us-inflation-pressures-ease-us-consumers-resist-more-personal-debt-china-extends

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

cat botherer posted:

Folks, let’s not get too bullish on China. They’d don’t have sky high and underreported inflation like us. That means they’ll collapse any day now from a DEFLATIONARY SPIRAL!

https://www.interest.co.nz/economy/122920/us-inflation-pressures-ease-us-consumers-resist-more-personal-debt-china-extends

at what cost

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

Nah it was contrasting back when I Think it was England screwing China during the opium wars or something like that where all the Brits were young and the Chinese elders were tendril -bearded addled old men, and the modern-day version was a 180* of that where China was screwing the West in negotiations.

I'll try to find it when I'm home from work.

I think the "before" image was young US politicians vs geriatric Soviet leaders in the 70s to show that those antiquated russkies were a gerontocracy compared with the vibrant young energy of JFK's administration

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Found it:

Bottom image is the signing of the 1901 Boxer Protocol, lol.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

people like to pour scorn onto the boomers but the boomers are not yet even in full control of the machinery of government. silent generation is very, very well represented at the top

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the irony is that china's aging much faster than the US - i think their median age passed the US recently

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Premier Xi has heard our pleas:

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1678587429316337666

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I will be you fist Xi.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

anime was right posted:

its notable because interest rates have managed to stay steady above 7% since last month. so interest rates are killing consumers buying really big things.

ah, but that means the nominal price of cars and homes will fall!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

shrike82 posted:

the irony is that china's aging much faster than the US - i think their median age passed the US recently

usa life expectancy number go down 🤣